Reaven1911

AS50 vs SVD Camo

I think I'm split, 1/2 1/2

SVD, fast fire rate, range finder built in, camo'd, much smaller then AS50

AS50, silent to players, higher damage, further zeroing

Waa AS50 is silent to players?? Am I a noob or something??

In the end the AS50 comes out on top imo because it's more accurate because it can zero. But the SVD is just awesome :P

Waa AS50 is silent to players?? Am I a noob or something??

it aint... just because it got an effective range like 0-1600M and the noise can only be heard from 455 m away

i vote AS50 but thats just me haven't used the SVD much yet though

The SVD is TERRIBLE. AS50 wins flat out, by a landslide, no question. The SVD is EXTREMELY difficult to get used to and shoot with, even when you know the range it takes you a few seconds to figure out where to shoot, and often it's incorrect.

The AS50 is "silent" to players because the bullet is faster than the sound, they drop dead before they hear the bang and can not ALT F4 out of it^^

Edited by Fajeth

I think I'm split, 1/2 1/2

SVD, fast fire rate, range finder built in, camo'd, much smaller then AS50

AS50, silent to players, higher damage, further zeroing

Sorry to bust your bubble, its the loudest thing in the game gun wise I think, not to quite :)

Sorry to bust your bubble, its the loudest thing in the game gun wise I think, not to quite :)

No. It is not. You may be referring to the M107 (i use that one) which is a cannon. The AS50 has one weird-ass sound-sample, it's incredibly quiet. And no, it isnt quiet to zombies. They don't actually "hear", they get the soundvalue transferred to them if they're within "earshot" and react to it.

Players tho, who actually hear the soundfile of the gun, to them, the AS50 is almost silenced. You actually hear your average AK or M16 from further away than the AS50.

This has nothing to do with DayZ tho. I actually made a post on this on the BIS forums, because I bought the BAF-DLC and then was incredibly disappointed, that the L115 and the AS-50 both have the same soundfile that they already have in BAF-Lite...and that soundfile is just utter bullshit. It's low quality, it's too quiet and sounds NOTHING like the real deal (much like the ingame M134 Minigun, btw)

Even the M107 in ArmA II is way too quiet and flat sounding, but at least you can hear that thing realistically. If you shoot it, everyone within at least a kilometer will hear it, and the sound is unique so players will know what is shooting.

So in my books, the AS-50 wins by a landslide to the SVD. Why?

1. The scope is much more intuitive (and no, I'm not counting the rangefinger of the SVD as a pro for it, cause you can measure distances with the Mil-Dots just as well)

2. It has zeroing up to 1,6 km and it IS effective at that range.

3. The ammo is so much more common. You can find M107 mags in deerstands and every other military lootpoint. SVD ammo....you can only find that along with the actual rifle on heli crashes..or if you're lucky enough to find a 7.62 ammobox in the barracks.

4. It is quieter...much quieter. It's bullshit...but it is, as it is.

And I love how people factor in the camo of the SVD. Yes it's cool to carry one while ghillied up. But have you PLAYED DayZ, or ArmA II, for that matter? Did you not notice, that the damn grass isnt rendered for more than maybe 200-300 meters? At ranges beyond that, you'll stick out no matter if you wear civvies or a ghillie and no matter if you carry the SVD or the fifty. And here the AS-50 plays it's big advantages. With that thing, you can sit a kilometer away and shoot effectively, and score first hit kills, it is hard for people to see you at that distance, even with unrendered grass. With the SVD, you have to be a hell of a lot closer.

Just for kicks: Install the J.S.R.S. soundmod and hop into the editor/armory, to see what a light fifty in ArmA II CAN sound like.

Edited by -=Pixel=-

Seems like AS50 wins by all the votes :|

seems like nothing can beat the monster that is the AS50

Have you been 300 meters out from it? It's really not that loud. It's loud to zombies, but it's relatively quiet for a sniper. I use it all the time, and I remember when I first used it my mates were surprised at how quiet it is.

Having used the AS50 for a little while now, I can say it's amazing. The ranges I consider a "reach" (600-800 meters) when I use other sniper rifles, I now consider "medium range" with the AS50. When setting up on a spot, I usually try to put my main target area around 600-700 meters. At that distance, against a stationary target, it almost feels like point blank range with the AS50. At those ranges and greater, the noise, lack of camo, and size of the gun matter very little (relative to the target area) as long as you pick your perch carefully, of course. That said, if you plan on making most of your shots at less than 500 meters, I'd recommend against the AS50. BTW, that massive cannon-like boom you sometimes hear from huge distances is actually the M107; not the AS50.

Also, no need to bother with headshots with the AS50. Center mass hit and it's over.

Nothing tops off the AS50 for hunting players. ;)

Forget them all, CZ550.

The ammo and rifle are common as all hell, the rifle can be zeroed, and its accuracy and killing power are wonderful. You don't need any other rifle.

Besides, getting at the others from military spawns can be suicide at certain times, the CZ550 you can find on farms.

I use the SVD and I like it, even slightly better than the AS50. In my experience, manual line-up generally ends up with me getting the critical shot.

Go into arma 2 armory and play with the AS50, because you cant seem to use the mildots to estimate distance with the same equation as the m107. I ended up working it out with a pair of range finders and a piece of paper (which is now a table next to my monitor) :P I manage to zero it dead on every time now.

Go into arma 2 armory and play with the AS50, because you cant seem to use the mildots to estimate distance with the same equation as the m107. I ended up working it out with a pair of range finders and a piece of paper (which is now a table next to my monitor) :P I manage to zero it dead on every time now.

I can't seem to locate a range finder in the Arma 3 editor. Can you help me out? Also if you have the working mil-dot ranges for the AS50 why not share it on the forum?

Please. The SVD not only looks better it is much more accurate at medium to medium longer ranges because the chevrons have very sharp tips. Stick a post it note to your screen with the zeroing and bam. Killed a guy at 328m while he tried to hit me with his M4A1 CCO SD. Then took one of the three vehicles but that's another story. The rarity of ammo is what makes it a terrible weapon on MOST servers. I play on a server where I leave mags behind cause they're so common but I play Namalsk. Much more challenging. Again custom server but SVD will fuck you up way better at anything around or under 700m with a bit of practise. It's capable of 1000m but that's a stationary target with rangefinders and since statistically 80%-90% of kill occur within 100m, snipers are only if you go hunting in high traffic areas. Also has 180m zombie attraction range compared to 455m. To avoid hate I'd like to point out its a matter of personal choice and server type.

Forget them all, CZ550.

The ammo and rifle are common as all hell, the rifle can be zeroed, and its accuracy and killing power are wonderful. You don't need any other rifle.

Besides, getting at the others from military spawns can be suicide at certain times, the CZ550 you can find on farms.

The only bonus the AS50 has over this is that people can't alt+f4, they are dead before they hear the gunshot. But you bring up some excellent points.

I dont know wether its down to changing my FOV or the velocity of the .50 round but ive noticed that (without zero'ing) you dont need to use the mil dots until your target is over 400m