Sign in to follow this  
Rising (DayZ)

Did anyone else pronounce it as Day-Zee at first?

A majority of Aussies use 'Zed' instead of 'Zee', but when it's clearly the name of something that's supposed to be used in a single way - such as Dragon Ball 'Zee', then we say it that way. Or at least my friends and I do.

So in this case, no. We do not use Day 'Zed', we use Day 'Zee'.

In other news, relations between Australia, Britain and America continue to decline due to circumstantial evidence found that proves how communication between each nation struggles.

-MONSTER

Some Aus/NZ use Zee by accident sometimes, simply because we're all raised with Sesame Street singing the American alphabet song (which requires "Z" to rhyme with "V" and "me"). It's especially common in the younger generations who're overexposed to American television, so you do see both pronounciations used, but "zee" is basically just slang/informal for "zed".

That may be true, but one could argue that the bastardization of a language brought into common usage could be seen as the evolution of a language. After all, when the Brits conquered explored much of the world, they bastardized pretty much every non-germanic and romantic language they came across, and their versions became the norm, some of which are still used today (just to clarify, I'm not angry about this, just stating historical fact). Bottom line, I don't see any dialect of English as right or wrong. They just are. I'm starting to stray into Linguistics thesis territory so I'll drop it now.

The rest of the word also knows how to pronounce aluminium :P

I'm well aware of your al-you-mini-yum pronouncing ways :P. I feel like there was a Monty Python skit on the subject I saw back in the day but I could be wrong.

DayZ?

Day Zero?

Day Zedro or Day Zeero?

• Like 1

You mean, except American?

Is it really this common for Americans to not know that Zed is the English name for that letter??

American English is a separate (and better) dialect of English than British English. Noah Webster intentionally changed the spellings of certain words (removing the unnecessary "U" from certain words, like color, returning them to their proper Latin roots instead of the bastardized French influenced "colour"), and altered pronunciation on others.

Funnily enough the current General American Accent (the one you hear in movies, on TV, from news hosts, or in areas like the East Coast outside of New Jersey, New York, and New England) is the original British accent. It is what you would have heard from both Colonists and Redcoats in the 1700s. The modern British accent didn't evolve until the mid 19th century.

So American English is the correct form of English.

The first time I ever heard Zed was on Stargate Atlantis, where a Canadian character referred to something called a ZPM as a "Zed Pee Em", so I don't associate it with Zombies per se, but I do associate it with other-than-american pronunciations of the letter Zee. Not sure which countries follow this pronunciation rule, but I highly doubt it is everybody, since Rocket says Zee.

The pronunciation difference between American English "Zee" and (in SGA's case) Canadian English "Zed" was lampooned and lampshaded throughout the early seasons.

Edited by SG-17

One thing i do remember as a kid though was the Alphabet song - when we say Zed at the end of the song it doesn't rhyme with V. Maybe we should change Vee to Ved.

This is why the American pronounciation is right... because it rhymes when you sing the alphabet song!

DayZ (Daisy), and Zed for Zombie - I thought everyone knew this already

So American is the correct form of English.
lol nice one! great charicature of the stereotypical american!

oh wait, you're serious?

oh...

Edited by ActionMan
  • Like 2

American English is a separate (and better) dialect of English than British English. Noah Webster intentionally changed the spellings of certain words (removing the unnecessary "U" from certain words, like color, returning them to their proper Latin roots instead of the bastardized French influenced "colour"), and altered pronunciation on others.

Funnily enough the current General American Accent (the one you hear in movies, on TV, from news hosts, or in areas like the East Coast outside of New Jersey, New York, and New England) is the original British accent. It is what you would have heard from both Colonists and Redcoats in the 1700s. The modern British accent didn't evolve until the mid 19th century.

So American English is the correct form of English.

The pronunciation difference between American English "Zee" and (in SGA's case) Canadian English "Zed" was lampooned and lampshaded throughout the early seasons.

How can American english be the correct english when people from england dont speak american english, what happened in the 17th century makes no difference... thats like saying all americans are english...not american. Also thier is no such thing as 'british' english... its just english...and im english, not british!! :) ...the other languages residing in the UK is either scottish, irish or welsh, which are all different to english as is american.

i call it day-zee , because i assumed thats what its called (my mate did say 'wtf your not american' lol).

Though i pronounce z as zed... that includes dragon ball 'zed' , catching 'zeds' etc.

time to throw a spanner in the works of this one. Here in New Zealand, which is where Rocket is from, we use both Zee and Zed in a near inter-changeable way depending on place and circumstance.

That said, the main dominant pronunciation is Zed (for example NZ is pronounced N Zed), except in the instance of a single unconnected letter, then we use Zee (such as Day Zee or the Alphabet song)

I love when people call it "days".

It's kind of annoying when I try to google anything DayZ related and google thinks I'm just trying to be gangsta in my spelling of "days".

I say Zed, but maybe it's because I'm a Londoner!

I would suppose a lot of Brits would say 'Day Zed', I say 'Z' the American way though because I was raised on Sesame Street.

• Like 1

I call the Zombies, drunks.

From my experience, I have either wandered aimlessly when drunk, hopped around on the floor trying not to fall over, or when I did fall over... crawl everywhere >:)

The use of 'Z' in "DayZ" is meant to represent the number of days a player has survived. This is reinforced by the Day 'Z'(where Z is the number of days you have survived) that show up at the bottom right hand of the screen.

On topic, I read 'DayZ' as "daze".

Side note, I'm from New Zealand and I only use the 'zed' pronunciation when saying NZ like most of the people I meet.

I call the Zombies, drunks.

From my experience, I have either wandered aimlessly when drunk, hopped around on the floor trying not to fall over, or when I did fall over... crawl everywhere > :)

Adding to that, most drunks also get aggro'ed quite easily (does not like loud noises) and has a difficulty seeing/hearing things properly.

• Like 1

Never forget the look on my missus face when I was saying "Been on DayZ all day" and "DayZ is the best" and "DayZ is totally different from anything else I've experienced" etc etc

Yes she was hearing Daisy the whole time. LulZ.

• Like 1

Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead.

zedkey2sa.jpg

BTW - Music trivia: Led Zeppelin decided on the spelling for their name as American audiences got confused and thought it was pronounced 'Leed Zeppelin'.

When Jimmy Page was assembling the group, Keith Moon (drummer from The Who) got word of his plans and predicted the group would go down "like a lead balloon" (this is a common English expression). Bassist and keyboardist John Entwistle thought it would be "more like a lead zeppelin." Page took the phrase and manager Peter Grant changed the spelling to "led" in order to avoid mispronunciation with audiences unfamiliar with the expression.

I always called it "Day 'Z'" as the Z sticks out. That, and I'm american.

But I grew up as part of the computer generation, so my accent is totally different from the people in my family and widely different from th rest of the people in Florida.

But with the pronouncing "Z" as "Zed", is that Zed like Ed, with a Z. Or Zed like Heed? I'm assuming Zed like Ed, as it makes some sense to me, but I don't recall ever hearing any british person pronounce Z's with an ending 'ed'. Of course, I miss a lot of that, as the words enter my ears and then I see the spelling in my mind, so words like aluminium put up as the same, even though two groups pronounce them in completely different ways.