Sign in to follow this  
Rising (DayZ)

Did anyone else pronounce it as Day-Zee at first?

Today is brought to you by the letter Z.

1 Zombie, 2 Zombie...ha ha ha 3 Zombie, 4 Zombie...ha ha oh shit!

Im Australian, as a letter i would say Z as "zed" and H as "ey-ch" ("aitch"?)

but if the title is "day-zee", Il say zee (same as DBZ) I mean Z or Zed, it still makes the zzz sound in the alphabet

• Like 1

Silly 'mericans, you already have C why would you want another C? Never made sense, but then again.. 'mericans rarely do.

Day Zee sounds gay like Daisy (the flower)

I prefer Day Zed and I will always refer to it as that regardless!

Just to point it out to everyone (thanks to the joy of QI and Stephen Fry) an earlier poster was entirely correct

The American version of the English language is actually closer to the "Original" English language than "Queens" English

Basically in the 19th century when relations with the US were "poor" the British Empire decided it didn't like the fact the US spoke the same language and so they "tarted" the language up making it "posher" - this involved adding U to a number of words and changing the sound of others (including zee to zed) - the idea was to make "English" English sound posher and more refined than the US English...

Oh and I'm British before people think this is some US "propaganda"

Edited by TheMoodyOne
  • Like 1

in the 19th century when relations with the US were "poor" the British Empire decided it didn't like the fact the US spoke the same language and so they "tarted" the language up making it "posher" - this involved adding U to a number of words and changing the sound of others (including zee to zed) - the idea was to make "English" English sound posher and more refined than the US English

your arse is talking bud: Merriam Webster phonetically systemised English spelling because he was a tad spergy - hence 'the centre's tantalising colour' getting a whole load of squiggly red underlining in my browser

as for dialect, some Berkley students came on an exchange semester at out uni. Their accents received some ribbing, and one proudly rebutted 'we speak true English, as the colonists spoke'. A couple months later, having met various yorkshire folk, bristolians, brums, Londoners and norfolk chaps, they weren't so sure. (not to mention that the majority of north americans are of non-English heritage)

I've also heard Australians make the exact same claim: we speak the true English, as the colonists spoke.

Edited by Sandy

Im from New Zealand and I say Zee.... Just because your not in America doesnt mean you say Zed. I mean Zedbra sounds retarded Dragon Ball Zed sounds retarded. But when I see a zombie I would call it a Zed over a Zee.

• Like 1

Just depends on what accent you speak?

Day zee

Day zed

Saying that I just called it Dayz as in one word, even though it's wrong :D

Off topic, but I thought it was weird that in the movie Men In Black, which is clearly American, the agent played by Rip Torn, was called "Zed" by the others, instead of the American "Zee".

I thought that was weird too.

edit: infact I got a bit a confused about it.

Edited by katlord_kromdar

Zed is correct in terms of the english language, but Zee sounds so much better for dayzee, as for what to call zombies, am i the only one who prefers to yell the whole word? much more dramatic :D

I watch a lot of Top Gear so I knew that zed is how people in the UK pronounce Z but I have never heard of zed meaning zombie though.

Day Zeeeero

I can't clearly find the difference.. Jesus are you kidding me? Complaing over this.

Day-Zee

Day-Zed

who cares!?

The first time I ever heard Zed was on Stargate Atlantis, where a Canadian character referred to something called a ZPM as a "Zed Pee Em", so I don't associate it with Zombies per se, but I do associate it with other-than-american pronunciations of the letter Zee. Not sure which countries follow this pronunciation rule, but I highly doubt it is everybody, since Rocket says Zee.

This ^^

Also whenever I hear somebody say Zed I think of this clip.

I do not and will never pronounce Z and Zed.