tank77

Suggestion: blood regen and self blood transfusions

It would be nice if blood would just regen over time. Even if the regen was 1 health ever 10 seconds it would still be helpfull. Our bodies naturally replenish blood so I don't see why it would be a problem to have that be a feature in the game. Also it would be nice if we had the ability to give ourselves blood transfusions. We can give ourselves morphine and we can bandage ourselves but we can't give ourselves blood. It would make the game more fun because surviving would be a lil easier. It would be a really nice feature when none of your friends are on. A lot of the time just eating food isn't enough, especially since canned food only gives you 200 and cooked meat only gives 800. And when cows and matches are hard enough to find its not really that practical to have to rely on eating that to get blood back. If you're down to 6000 health thats just not enough. Also since finding food isn't all that easy either. earlier today I was running for 45 min and I could'nt find any food.

Edited by tank77
  • Like 6

Theres the thought process, now i do understand your point. I really do, when you need a transfusion you most likely wont run into a player who would help you. and if you do, he might kill you on sight, so yes its difficult. Eating food does replenish some, but as you said not enough. Youre also right on our blood replenishing and regenerating every 10 seconds is a good idea. But i just dont think this is somthing people would want to go for

this was literally just posted in a different thread *sigh*.

Blood transfusions promote teamwork, they won't ever be solo.

Matches, knife, and a weapon (even an axe) alongside an axe to get wood is enough to give you an overpowered amount, of completely renewable (very safely too) source of blood. 1 cow gives over half your health in blood.

Keep trying to survive, the one time you do it right, you will realise how easy it is.

i went to the airfield and ending up getting every zombie in the NW airfield on my tail, after going in the barracks and killing them all I realised I was bleeding, I was down to 8000 blood. Oops. So now I am stuck in the airfield, with 8000 blood. Not ideal, but it's my own fault for not realising I was bleeding. So it's now up to me to get out of the airfield and find an animal to cook, I found a pig the other day but I had no space in my bag or inventory to store the raw meat... lol

The point is, if I could give myself a blood transfusion I wouldn't have really been punished for my mistakes...

Edited by keepcarlm

This will remove the necessity for basic survival goods early on.

The only thing I would suggest as a compromise having blood regenerate after a much longer period of time. E.g. if someone is low on blood they could potentially rest for a long period of time to recover. This could put them at a relatively higher level of blood than they were before.

If you are 4k and successfully make it somewhere safe you could try logging out. A few hours later you log back in and have 10k health, but you will also be starving and very thirsty (Realistic? Possibly). This way you still need to have your tools and food but you generate in a slightly realistic fashion instead of hiding out for a few minutes and having more blood all of a sudden.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by SumoS
  • Like 1

I do think blood should regenerate over time, if not only because naturally your body does this, the lower your blood the faster it regenerates, but once you get to 10k or more it would slow off because naturally the body knows that blood levels are less important.

The regen thing is actually a tad realistic;

"In normal situations, your body has its ability to manufacture blood cells comprising the whole blood (red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets) mostly in the bone marrow especially of the vertebrae , ribs, pelvis, skull, breastbone. Each red blood cell has a life span of about 4 months. Each day, the body produces new red blood cells to replace those that die or are lost from the body. White blood cells life spans vary from a few days to months. New cells are constantly being formed in the bone marrow especially if there is infection production is ncreased. Platelets survive only about 9 days in the bloodstream and are constantly being replaced by new cells.In unusual situations where there is severe blood loss, your body is unable to make rapid blood production to replace it that is why blood transfusions are given. In non dangerous situations, the body is given time to replace the blood lost. Good nutrition and iron supplements are important to help the body to cope up with blood production."

When you keep food and water a bit above critical levels for a while (before it reaches the "blinking state"), you should start to slowly regenerate blood.

• Like 5

This will remove the necessity for basic survival goods early on.

The only thing I would suggest as a compromise having blood regenerate after a much longer period of time. E.g. if someone is low on blood they could potentially rest for a long period of time to recover. This could put them at a relatively higher level of blood than they were before.

If you are 4k and successfully make it somewhere safe you could try logging out. A few hours later you log back in and have 10k health, but you will also be starving and very thirsty (Realistic? Possibly). This way you still need to have your tools and food but you generate in a slightly realistic fashion instead of hiding out for a few minutes and having more blood all of a sudden.

Just my thoughts.

to a point yes. early game survival would be a little easier but that would make people more eager to play. also when you log out, it freezes your character in time. you dont get thirsty or hungry when youre logged out nor would you regen any health while logged out. and what you said about resting for a bit to regain health, thats the point. In real life your body naturally replenishes lost blood so why couldnt this be a feature in the game.

to a point yes. early game survival would be a little easier but that would make people more eager to play. also when you log out, it freezes your character in time. you dont get thirsty or hungry when youre logged out nor would you regen any health while logged out. and what you said about resting for a bit to regain health, thats the point. In real life your body naturally replenishes lost blood so why couldnt this be a feature in the game.

You do get hungry and thirsty when you log out for a period of time.

i agree with the regeneration of blood, i disagree with solo tranfusion..it's a good thing for teamwork..

once i read that sometimes blood loss just stops itself but it never happened to me..someone had this experience? that would be cool..i mean if you get shot you should bandage yourself even more than once, specially if you run..but infected hits shouldn't always make you bleed to death

i would like slow blood recovery as long as your not hungry or thirsty

Blood regeneration could work in a way someone informly mentioned above. If your hunger and thirst are both green, maybe you slowly regenerate blood? And by slowly i mean very slowly. like 2 blood every 10 seconds or something even more ridiculous. But it means if u sacrifice food and water to keep your health status at top-grade, you are rewarded with regenerating blood. It prevents you from simply sititng in a hole/logging out only to return at full health, as to maintain this regeneration, you would NEED to make sure you have constant food and water supplies.

A bit of math.

12k blood, most you normally get down to and are able to safely get away without passing out/dying is around 4k. So you need to generate 8k blood. 2 blood every time it regenerates means you have to go through the regeneration process 4000 times to be at 12k blood.

4000 x 10 = 40,000 seconds. Which transferred into minutes = 666 minutes. Which in hours, is over 11 hours!

That seems a tad extreme for ingame time, but realistically, its quite short. To be at 1/3rd of your full health, and fully recover in half a day is CRAZY! Plus you aren't required to do anything different, you can carry on just as usual, as long as you keep food and water up, and this will passively generate. I don't know how it would work with being damaged and such, whether it would cancel it for a certain amount of time, and obviously you couldn't generate while bleeding. Sounds like a nice addition though.

• Like 1

Humans can, roughly, go 3 days without water and 3 weeks without food before expiring.

Granted, you'll be in a really shitty state after 2 weeks without food, but the point is... ingame you need water every, what, hour? And food every 1.5 or 2 hours ? That's far off from what a human can survive if we are talking realistically.

However, given that it's a game you expect things to happen a bit more quickly. I find the thirst/hunger timer to be quite decent. It's long enough that you can survive for quite a time when you are filled up, but at same time not so long that you can run for several sessions without bothering with food.

So what about that blood then?

Sure, blood could regen over time. I wouldn't mind that and to be honest I half expected it to work that way when I started the game. Blood can only be regained in 4 ways.

Cans of whatever +200 blood.

Cooked meat +800 blood.

Blood transfusion, puts you at max health (12000)

Respawn, puts you at max health (12000)

Regenerating blood should have some criteria though. For instance, you need to have full (green) thirst/hunger indicator as a definitive requirement. But you might also need to not be moving around.. i.e. your blood regens faster (though still very slowly) if you sit down somewhere (using the actual sit command).

That way it would give purpose to taking a rest from time to time, especially after an encounter where you were badly wounded. You bug out and run to safety, then find a secluded spot where you sit down to rest and basically lick your wounds.

Considering I play this game for the survival simulator side of it, I'm 100% supportive of features that relate to real life... and sitting down to rest up and gather your strength (i.e. try to get your bloodlevel up) is definitely something that would add to the experience. Noone is going to have a sit-down in the middle of the city... and it further enhances the focus on finding safe places... or rather, relatively safe places anyways.

• Like 4

When you keep food and water a bit above critical levels for a while (before it reaches the "blinking state"), you should start to slowly regenerate blood.

That seems fair enough. If you can keep your nutrition and liquids at green, say, then you get to slowly regain blood after a time. It would force you to make a choice between wasting food and water to keep regenerating blood, or hold off for the leaner times.

Can it be done, though?

im against blood regen over time, that would make things too easy.

what im in favour of however is the ability to give yourself a blood transfusion.

being a total lone wolf im all in favor of self blood transfusions. For the moment it seems the odds are always against the lone roamers. People in clans already have their work cut easy with all the help they get, why shouldnt loners at least get a way to get blood back on their own? 25 cans of food is not always a viable option, as is cooked meat because more often than not you find yourself missing one thing or another. Blood packs should be self-administered, but more rare. Blood regen should also happen, however too slowly for it to be the go-to way to get blood back. It should just give you the incitation to push on rather than just say **** it and click respawn

• Like 1

im against blood regen over time, that would make things too easy.

what im in favour of however is the ability to give yourself a blood transfusion.

The blood regen would in no way, make things too easy, even if you were to gain 1 blood per 2 seconds, it'd still take more than 30 minutes to regenerate a 1000 blood. And in a gunfight you lose about 2000-12000 blood per shot, and zombies hit about 300 blood, it'd take hours to recover from a real attack, and a few minutes from 1 zombie.

Edited by shiding
  • Like 1

Humans can, roughly, go 3 days without water and 3 weeks without food before expiring.

Granted, you'll be in a really shitty state after 2 weeks without food, but the point is... ingame you need water every, what, hour? And food every 1.5 or 2 hours ? That's far off from what a human can survive if we are talking realistically.

However, given that it's a game you expect things to happen a bit more quickly. I find the thirst/hunger timer to be quite decent. It's long enough that you can survive for quite a time when you are filled up, but at same time not so long that you can run for several sessions without bothering with food.

Sure, blood could regen over time. I wouldn't mind that and to be honest I half expected it to work that way when I started the game. Blood can only be regained in 4 ways.

Cooked meat +800 blood.

Regenerating blood should have some criteria though. For instance, you need to have full (green) thirst/hunger indicator as a definitive requirement. But you might also need to not be moving around.. i.e. your blood regens faster (though still very slowly) if you sit down somewhere (using the actual sit command).

That way it would give purpose to taking a rest from time to time, especially after an encounter where you were badly wounded. You bug out and run to safety, then find a secluded spot where you sit down to rest and basically lick your wounds.

Considering I play this game for the survival simulator side of it, I'm 100% supportive of features that relate to real life... and sitting down to rest up and gather your strength (i.e. try to get your bloodlevel up) is definitely something that would add to the experience. Noone is going to have a sit-down in the middle of the city... and it further enhances the focus on finding safe places... or rather, relatively safe places anyways.

Thank you, Finally someone with some common sence

it seems logical to be able to regenerate blood. Or make animals 'slightly' more available, hell there could even be fields where there are always a couple of animals. This way you may see players going for the same place to get blood, imagine the panic of being low on blood, then going to get some meat, only for 2 others on low blood to be doing the same thing as you.

So what I am saying is, have the animals how they are, maybe less common but have 1 or 2 fields that will always have 1-3 pigs in it.

Cooked meat +800 blood.

Seems we have like minded opinions. I don't mind the idea of having to take "rests". But i don't agree that sitting down should increase blood regeneration. Sleeping is a possibility, perhaps you can go to sleep while logged out of the game and your blood will continue to regenerate for say 2 hours then you are logged out with full health. Risk? You can be shot while doing this. Problem? How will servers keep characters logged in after you log out, without 'reserving' that player spot.

Resting is also currently, *kind of* in the game already. If you run for a while, you breath heavily, and your crosshair sways. If you stop and sit down for a bit, you catch your breath. I think thats really enough of a "resting" situation that we currently need. However passive regen while your food and water levels are at good indicators (green), is good, and realistic. Only thing it would come down to is the amount. You wouldn't want it to only take < 1 hour of game time like food and water, because that would almost entirely (for me at least) remove the need to go mass animal hunting, or have friends with blood bags. Only time i would use them is if i wanted to chill/camp the NWA or something (which as a survivor, i don't want to do). I pick my raids carefully, and confrontations even more carefully. The rare time i cop a bullet is normally from a well positioned sniper, or a gunman at range (in which case id snipe him, and bug out to a safe area). Now if it took me a "game time" amount of time to regenerate all my health, id just chill around my camp, looting the few buildings nearby maybe. Or just hunting animals and organising my inventory. Possibly even have a dance with my friends, and all of a sudden im full health without wasting supplies.

Thats the main reason i stressed it would take a LONG time to regenerate all your blood. It could even be with a negative exponential style system. As your blood (if over 9k or something) gets closer to 12k, regeneration slows. Someone else suggested this, as it is how the human body reacts. Fast recovery from injury, slow recovery to full health.

it seems logical to be able to regenerate blood. Or make animals 'slightly' more available, hell there could even be fields where there are always a couple of animals. This way you may see players going for the same place to get blood, imagine the panic of being low on blood, then going to get some meat, only for 2 others on low blood to be doing the same thing as you.

So what I am saying is, have the animals how they are, maybe less common but have 1 or 2 fields that will always have 1-3 pigs in it.

Animals are a lot more common than you may think. And i think making them have "spawn zones" or hot spots is a bad idea. They aren't loot piles, and so shouldn't be hoardable. There are designated spawning zones for them, and for cows especially, thats wide open fields. I know a few places where several cows spawn across the same stretch of open field. If i wanted to be a food bandit, id camp up there and wait for a lone survivor searching for blood.

• Like 1

I believe for solo transfusions to work the time it takes to do the transfusion should be increased.

I think you should be able to give yourself a blood transfusion, but there should be a one minute timer where you are giving yourself the blood, this will promote the lone wolf type of person while also leaving them vulnerable while being transfused.

If you have a buddy or someone transfuse you, the timer should be cut in 1/2 or 1/4 so instead of being at risk for a Minute, you're both at risk for 30 seconds or 15 seconds. This will also encourage team work, and heighten the sense of vulnerability.

Blood regeneration is an important thing to implement in-game.

If you are green on both you're food and drink bars, I think the regeneration should be about 2 blood/ second.

Before you say that's too much, think about this (2 blood/ second = 120 blood/ minute = 7200 blood/ hour)

That is only if you are green or slightly off/green on both your food and drink meters.

If you drop to light red or dark red the regeneration should be cut to 1 blood/second (1blood/second = 60 blood /minute = 3600 blood/ hour.

and of course if either you're food or drink are blinking you don't regenerate blood.

GREEN (2 blood/ second)

RED (1 blood/ second)

Blinking RED (N/A)

Maybe also infected players only regenerate at half of the normal

i.e.

GREEN (infected) = 1 blood / second

RED (infected) = 1 blood/ 2 seconds

Blinking RED (infected) = N/A

I think those two are very important things that I would like to see implemented in the game.

:D I like beans btw...

• Like 2

I'm glad that people are understanding my point of this. Having blood regen in this game would make it more realistic and give people more incentive to play.

Seems unnecessary, feeding of cows and other animals is rather easy since there's a bunch of them, one cow will give you half your blood back, 2 cows and you get left over meat.

For the people who do play together its nice that they can use blood packs, thats the reward from playing together.

As for blood regen, sure. But only if it a small amount, and if its a small amount one can of beans is alot more effective.