KEEPCARLM

A little addition to make things a little more... 'personal'

Id just end up writing mean stuff in my journal directed at the person who killed me to read. Not so much that they would care but it makes me feel a bit better.

Hey, can you provide a link to where it has already been suggested?

Rocket mentioned a journal idea, tracking the movements and kills of a player in the PC Gamer interview they conducted while in game.

The hive is already having problems. Keeping all the peoples data even after they die would put even more load on it, so I don't see it happening anytime soon. Great suggestion though, I like it, and your not the first on to suggest it.

What I'd also like to see is the ability to write into your journal yourself, maybe even allowing you to tear out pages and leave notes. This could lead to people writing stories and leaving them about, maybe just leaving messages to passers by, or numbering pages and letting people collect a story of your travels, page by page. A friend of mine tells me there was a guy in Ultima who did nothing but write Erotic fiction, I imagine we have people screwed up enough to fill that gap too!

• Like 1

What I'd also like to see is the ability to write into your journal yourself, maybe even allowing you to tear out pages and leave notes. This could lead to people writing stories and leaving them about, maybe just leaving messages to passers by, or numbering pages and letting people collect a story of your travels, page by page. A friend of mine tells me there was a guy in Ultima who did nothing but write Erotic fiction, I imagine we have people screwed up enough to fill that gap too!

OP did say that writing in your own journal would be possible. However the idea of tearing out your pages would be awesome! It gives the idea of traps even more, a lone bandit could make false stories, or instructions, to lead a lone survivor or even a group into an ambush point. And at the same time a survivor could leave his tale on a tree before devil's castle, warning others of the lone gunman on in the keep.

I have thought of the journal idea alot actually... however i never put this much thought into it, well done sir i like YOUR IDEA :D

I like that idea of leaving notes too, would add another dimension to the trust element involved. Stuff like this will help to create more immersion with other players.

Don't get me wrong, when I'm sneaking around Balota airfield and all of a sudden I hear gun shots, it still gets my heart pumping and that is something that is unique to this game, genuine fear of other people but if you take that person down it's just another dead body with some loot.

I'm not sure how much data it would require to process, since really it would just be text. The model/textures to create the actual journal 'effect' wouldn't be unique, so it would be a case of a text overlay. then again I'm not clued up on this stuff. So is just speculation :)

This is just bloody brilliant! Also I can sense all those polish cod kiddies writing it full of 'kurwa kurwa' whatever that means

This has alrdy been suggeseted.

This gentleman is right, was suggested some time ago (I like it a lot).

Also the notes you saw on map might not have been work of your victim.

There is a bug that sometimes you can see other people's marks on map.

Stupidly enough I've once put up a tent and marked its location to the map....then my buddy told me, he can see the map mark as well.

I felt stupid for letting everyone on the server know, where my tent is...

DO WANT. BUMPING FOR HIGH LEVELS OF WANT.

This might actually be a small feature that might help a bit with senseless killing...yesterday I observed a group of survivors in a small town on the coast and decided to help them after they seemed to have run out of ammo since they were pulling a huge zed-train with them. So I went down the hill yelling for them to get in the trees, that I was friendly, mowing down zeds with my AKs-74u. I was asking them if they needed blood transfusions, they didn't talk much but one did answer "No" and they were laughing and saying how awesome that was. And then we got in the treeline, I lowered my gun and was gonna offer them some of my gear (since I would get more so easily) and one of them put a bullet through my head. What a prick.

Now if I'd had my journal on me, I would've certainly written in there about the time I went north in the beginning of the character, almost starved and had to loot the market in Stary for beans. About how I killed one guy later at Stary and regretted it since he clearly had noob-gear and wasn't a bandit. I would've written in there about how I decided to go south and try to help people, maybe I would've even written something while I was observing this group about how I hope this will turn out good.

I don't know whether they regretted killing me at all. But a journal may have helped with that.

• Like 4

I was playing around with the idea of somehow forcing people to realize that the polygon they just shot was actually a person with a story. That person went places and did stuff. It's all too easy to overlook the fact that most of the people running around in north have had quite an adventure getting there:

Close calls with Z's, desperately scavenging for food and drink, joy of finding at least some kind of weapon to defend themselves, finally stumbling upon a morphine shot after crawling for miles with broken leg..

So definately +1 for the journal idea. But I guess it would have to be at least roughly automatic as I cannot really see that many occasions to write anything down by myself. Would probably do so if it was possible though.

Edited by johis69
  • Like 1

I was playing around with the idea of somehow forcing people to realize that the polygon they just shot was actually a person with a story. That person went places and did stuff. It's all too easy to overlook the fact that most of the people running around in north have had quite an adventure getting there:

Close calls with Z's, desperately scavenging for food and drink, joy of finding at least some kind of weapon to defend themselves, finally stumbling upon a morphine shot after crawling for miles with broken leg..

So definately +1 for the journal idea. But I guess it would have to be at least roughly automatic as I cannot really see that many occasions to write anything down by myself. Would probably do so if it was possible though.

That is why I included some things that are automatically put in, so that even if someone doesnt care about their own journal someone that does care about the journal they find still has some interest to them.