Chivewhistle

Help me understand.

So another survivor and I randomly met, and were traveling about. A player called out in the chat to us, and asked if we wanted to join a group. We agreed as we were both fairly new, and set off to meet up with his group. When we met him, we saw he was labeled as a bandit. We asked about this, and he gave us a long story about self defense, blah blah blah, he didn't deserve the title, etc. We decided to trust him, and we started killing some zeds. About 5 minutes later, his group shot us in the back and killed us. This player claimed to just be "smarter" than us and that he was a nice guy. I understand the mechanics of the game, and that you have to kill to survive, but you could understand why I would be a bit upset.

Players in the server tell me that I should never trust bandits, it's my fault for dying, etc. I think to myself: Okay! I just won't trust bandits since they are labeled killers. Even though it may have been self defense, that's how the cookie crumbles I guess.

I respawned and started making my way towards the survivor I was teamed up with previously, before we were both killed. On my way, I saw a player labeled as 'BANDIT', so I shot at him and killed him. I then started getting flamed from half the people on the server about how I should have asked the bandit if he was friendly, and to trust what he says. I am extremely confused!

Should I trust bandits? Should I kill them on sight? Should I sit down with a killer and ask them about their life story?

Some bandits say that story because it's true, some say it because they want to kill you.

It's a matter of trust really and they just make it so much harder when it isn't true :V They might flame you for killing him but they can't kick or ban you for it so it's cool.

I would ignore chat for purposes of such things.

Yes, they think they are smarter if you trust them.

I only use chat to ask game engine related questions.

Nothing about locations, nothing about intentions.

And I CERTAINLY don't believe anything anyone says about that stuff in there.

L

Wow, people flamed you for killing someone else? I have difficulty believing that since everybody kill each other in this game. I would have laughed and ignored them if they actually told me I was wrong to shoot him.

Anyway I bet they were bandits trolling you because you are naive and you fell for the bait. Kill whatever you feel like without remorse. Im a friendly, but nobody will make me feel bad because I kill a bandit or even a survivor I felt was acting suspicious.

It's good to trust, but never let your guard down. Not even with players that aren't labeled as "bandits."

I've only played for about a week, but in my honest opinion... 90% of the time the only good bandit, is a dead one.

What I am saying is, someone that has been delegated a bandit skin has killed quite a bit. And, more than likely have blood on their hands. You shouldn't really feel bad if you opened fire first on a bandit.

Them's the breaks...

Ignore the flamers.

You play the game exactly how you want, like the bandit that betrayed you. Shoot, loot whoever you want :)

And with the new patch coming, the bandit skin will get removed. So I advise you to shoot everything in sight.

What I am saying is' date=' someone that has been delegated a bandit skin has killed quite a bit

[/quote']

Bzzzt, incorrect! You can be made a bandit with a single kill, depending how many bullets it takes, since each hit reduces your humanity, not just the final kill. I stumbled across a survivor trying to kill another survivor earlier, and managed to kill the attacker before he killed his target, and for that I got switched to the bandit skin.

I was lucky, really - the target then turned and started shooting, but he missed, and then collapsed and died from blood loss (he'd been bleeding the entire time and hadn't bandaged).

So yea, you can become a bandit with a single kill in self defense, so saying that you have to have "killed quite a bit" is plain wrong.

OP: You'll never survive a real apocalypse with an attitude like that.

The problem is, that you think this is a "game". This is a zombie survival simulator. What happens in DayZ, and how you treat it, will likely happen in the real world.

You'd be dead.

The problem is' date=' that you think this is a "game". This is a zombie survival simulator. What happens in DayZ, and how you treat it, will likely happen in the real world.

You'd be dead.

[/quote']

See, the thing is, this IS a game.

Make your own rules, trust who you trust, but don't trust anyone completely.

The only thing you can know for sure is that a guy in aBandit skin has shot and killed atleast one survivor. Every deaht is a lesson, every hour spent alive is a lesson too.

If anyone asks you, bandit or not, shooting or not, if you are friendly, reply with "anyone in cherno???/". While they are trying to figure out why you would babble out such an abstract reply (there is no actual town called chernogorsk and you are all on hallucinogens.), loop around behind them and steal everything from their backpacks.

Think of it this way, even IF the story about self defense is true, imagine what they have gone through since being changed to the bandit skin. All they have encountered is outright hostility from survivors and other bandits alike, they've chosen to adapt to their environment biding a very hostile one even more so because their skin. So don't trust him, shoot on sight.

It's hard for me to comprehend what need's to be changed to allow for this to actually work. Being able to trust people in game. Someone texting just doesn't cut it. As we've seen many a time on the internet people will type some crazy shit that they would never actually say to someone in life. All the name calling and whatnot. Even with direct voice it's going to be frustrating. Walking up to a character that look's like a man and getting a voice of a young kid. Trying to communicate with a younger kid for me isn't going to be something I'm looking forward to. There are many other factors as well that just won't be portrayed correctly in the game to be able to make these sort of decisions. I guess you could always go to forums and whatnot and get to know more people that way. Get on voice chat and talk to them. Join a clan or something. Then you have a group already set so that you won't have to worry about it. Unless of course you feel that's part of the game. To get to know and make friendships with others within the game. /shrug

well, bandit skin for low humanity is going to be removed, probably on the next update. so just dont trust anyone i guess..

Just ignore everything. People doesnt know what theyre talking about.

All this "Hurr durr i kill everyone for survival" is so stupid...

For me the choice to pop someone relies on whether they are an Immediate threat.

I put a round in a guys face because he turned on me while I was shooting a Zombie that was knocking him off a deerstand ladder. I normally wouldnt kill but he pointed that pistol at me, intentional or not I had to pull the trigger on him.

I dont have a bandit skin for some reason though.

As for not shooting someone, I tracked an ALICE packing Bandit along a road for about 30 min. Never had a reason to kill him so hes off killing someone else right now.

Only trust those which would not trust you easily. Only this way will you find able allies.

The problem is' date=' that you think this is a "game". This is a zombie survival simulator. What happens in DayZ, and how you treat it, will likely happen in the real world.

You'd be dead.

[/quote']

See, the thing is, this IS a game.

Arma 2 was more of a war simulator than a game. This is more a Zombie survival horror simulator than a game.

How can we simulate something that isn't proven to be existent? How can we simulate something that no one knows is real? This is a game, it turned into one when DayZ was released. Sure, it might be awesome and feel real.. but in the end its still a GAME...

Once the government or some one with valid proof of zombies come out, and lists all of the keys of the zombies, we can call it a Simulator, once its updated.

The only thing I hate about this is that bandits are basically trolling the global channels for victims. If a bandit catches you on direct chat and convinces you, that's an organic, almost roleplay level of trickery, and is your bad.

When they're trolling new players via global chat, it's just cheap and impractical. It's not even that smart. You might as well just be spawn camping the coast at that point, as your victims are more than likely newbies thinking of you as a helpful community member, similar to the more hardcore niche MMO's that have community help programs in place to connect newbies to veterans.

It's underhanded on a macro level, and is basically metagaming.

It's a simple game. Play egomaniac and only trust people of which you can be really sure. Always keep "allies" in front of you, never behind. You wanna be able to shoot THEM in the back, not have them do it to you!