skyter

Post apacolyptic greifing simulator for D-bags

harden the fuck up, play on servers you know of having a fun cmmunity to play with, dont just click random servers and expect for people to be nice

its like in every other game, if you want to have a good game, search for people playing with you over TS3 or other programs

just dont expect for everyone to play like its hello kittie online, god

go and play warz with its safe zones if you want a boring game

Good sir, I think you are missing the point that meeting truly friendly players in-game and grouping with them just isn't a viable option without the use of 3rd party applications. Now I've only meet 1 guy who didn't shoot me on sight but use direct comms and the only reason he didn't kill me was cause I didn't have a gun. He even said that after we meet up with his friend. so 1 out of at least 100 players I've meet hasn't killed me on sight seems kinda fucked up.

And if it wasn't for the fact that I'm insane. I would have given up trying to meet random players and team up with them without the use of 3rd party apps.

meeting random players and grouping with them in-game should be just as supported and murdering them in cold blood. And if you notice a lot of the complaints are because the game supports killing the guy much more so than teaming up with him/her.

Edited by Orthus

Love the new "... if you dont like it, go to hell, I mean go play WAR Z "

:)

Hey guys you actually need to read all of the conversation before adding to it if you actually want to contribute something. Yeah I know it takes 15 minutes, but that shouldn't be that hard for your patience if you actually play this game. If you still can't force yourself to read it, I can summarize:

The OP, playZ, and a few others are frustrated by the lack of a system to encourage, or even allow, cooperation in addition to the existing system that very strongly encourages not cooperating.

Apart from the obvious trolls and assholes saying

1: It's an alpha.

2: If you think it sucks, don't play it. Try My Little Pony and Bob the Builder.

3: QQ MOAR

4: Dood it's supposed to be like real life. Everyone would ttly shoot each other! It would happen!

A few people opposing their ideas have countered various arguments, but left a large number of suggestions untouched.

/endsummary

First, the fact that it's an alpha implies that comments, criticism, and yes even complaints, and not just allowed, but what you are SUPPOSED to say. Virtually nobody in this thread is raging at bugs, they're suggesting modifications to very a extensive and critical portion of this game that may make it stand out as something other than another pseudo-rpg deathmatch, and more closely resemble what Rocket has been quoted several times within the thread to actually want. As skyter has said, there's 0 emotion that follows KOS gameplay other than the traditional sneaking around and avoiding bads that you find in any fps/rpg/platformer, The trailer on the main screen for the website has a video of dudes screaming on mics with guns pointed at each other in a room. As super-awesome as that would be, that would never actually happen in this. Somebody would just shoot the other guys in a few seconds and walk away, assuming they even got that close before firing anyway. It's generic, it's petty, and most of all, it just sucks.

To point 2: I think it sucks how it is, but I see tons of potential. Exactly why I'm criticizing, to help turn into something better. Problem?

3: Fuck off.

4: I'm assuming you think this way because that's what you would do. It actually takes a decent amount of work to survive in the world believe it or not when you're not at a cozy computer chair with McDonald's drive-thrus down the road a mile in your sedan. What are you planning to do for food when the canned beans run out? When your tent inevitably wears down from the weather? When it's winter? When you run out of ammo? Or best yet, when you're sick or injured in some way and can't make it back to your medical supplies?

The It's lyke RL argument fails hugely because of the mass inconsistencies that have already been mentioned ad nauseum so I won't go into them. But even in fantasy, not being able/willing to group up with people is retarded. Ever seen any post-apocalyptic movie? Yeah there's one or two psychopaths but even in Mad Max and Water World, the bads had some semblance of a society. There's no life to this game beyond your number of bullets and accuracy as long as any coop is moot or impossible. It's essentially a 1 hr respawn and gear acquisition wait to play an FPS with a shitty engine and a few near-inconsequential zombies thrown in.

So in conclusion, tons of good ideas have yet to be answered, just to name a few:

1: Groups/Parties. If meta is part of the game, why not just have them actually in the game?

2: A safe zone, like a town or a city normally would be in an MMO. Hell even the lobby could work, just some way to actually communicate with people other than being right next to them.

3: Any sort of karma system, like the 'you go slow when you murder people' idea.

I'm waiting for something, and I'm sure others are too. Just because only a few people have spoken up on the forums doesn't mean we're the only ones a little dissatisfied. Most people probably just immediately go play My Little Pony and Bob the Builder and never think twice about this game again.

Edited by SmokeytheBear
  • Like 3

72 beans and not a single suggestion what should be done about this "problem". Dont know how getting shot in fps game is griefing. Anyway, got to go kill some noobs lol

There have been at least 5. Shut your mouth before you use your eyes next time.

This isn't so much about saying "i have the solution" as "there is a problem that needs a solution"

Which half this board bursts into flames over the thought of actually having to think about killing someone, let alone acknowledging there is no weight to the decision.

Considering half the posts are from the "everything is fine as is; despite 'this an alpha' being my argument" people.

Edited by skyter

We have seen;

• The avoidance of using Bluefor/Opfor/Neutral "sides" from ARMA2.
  • The removal of humanity.
  • The removal of bandit skins.
  • The removal of side chat.
  • A vague, virtually useless heartbeat mechanic to represent another characters possible threat level.

Overall, I view this as a NET loss in the in game (anti-game/mod/alpha) tools available to players as a means of promoting cooperation.

Given these examples, why do the PvP zealots on this forum feel so threatened by any thread that dares to discuss the matter?

In the last 24 hours i've been:

Killed 2 times by falling into the ground, causing broken bones and massive bleeds.

Never happened to me or any of the 7 other people i play within my 3 weeks of playing.

Killed 1 time by vaulting , getting stuck in the object and the game having a seizure.

See above.

Killed 1 time by a door opening inward on me.

This happened to me on my third or so day playing this game, and never again.

Killed 1 time by spawning on top of another player.

Never happened to me or any of the people i play with.

Spawned 5 times at full health, in shock and unconscious for a 3 minute wait with a blurred screen.

Happened to a few of my friends, but never to me.

I've had my tents reset 7 times in the last 3 days, losing rare items up the ying-yang, including but not limited to: FALs, M14s, M4 CCO's, M24s, M9 SDs, MP5SDs, Kobras, m16 w/ 203s and ghillie suits.

You either don't test your tents or you're the unluckiest person on the planet. We have lost 3 tents in one day because we didn't know server restarts could wipe your tent contents so you had to test them first. None since then.

Unless you're lying, you died at least 4 times due to easily avoidable bugs (excluding the instance where you spawned on another player).

And you rage about the "bandits" who shoot unarmed noobs in cherno/elektro/balota etc, who for a veteran player should be non issue, since there is no reason at all to stay there once you got some basic gear unless you want to get yourself killed over and over again.

The risk there is insanely high, and the reward non-existent for veteran players.

So unless you're just bad, you seem to be a very very careless player who doesn't really care about surviving or not.

90% of the real bandits are up north on the map, because this is where you get to fight people who can fight back and have a fairly high chance to get high end loot and vehicles.

This is what me and my group do atm and yea, it's alot of fun (at least for now)...

We pick one of several high priority locations, set up carefully planned ambushes and take out people who grow careless up north because they have good gear and vehicles.

Shooting unarmed players is of course stupid, because they are not worth the bullet and potentially giving away your location, but only really happens in the south.

Without the constant threat of real bandits wherever you are on the map this mod would be terrible.

And it has NOTHING to do with griefing (not talking about the elektro snipers here).

And if you think being a bandit up north where people are usually organized and know how to play is without risks, you're deluding yourself.

My main goal in this game is SURVIVAL, and me and my group chose to play as bandits.

I have never died to a sniper in either elektro or cherno becausei knew even before i started playing that those areas are death traps, and while i sometimes try i quick loot run there, i usually stop trying after i died once and just find everything i need to survive on my way up north.

I see no reason to go there at all besides hunting and killing people who are stupid enough to bring all their high end gear there to use freshly spawned players as target practice. (instead of just doing that in the editor)

So basically you are raging about dying to bugs and the "fps-crowd" on the coast.

Both of which are pretty much non-issues once you've learned the ropes of the game.

But instead of avoiding them, you blame bandits who have pretty much NOTHING to do with the issues you brought up and are one of the main factors why this game is such an intense and brutal experience.

The only thing i can agree with is that friendly survivors seeking to group up with strangers should have more tools available that makes it at least somewhat less risky, since committing yourself to that playstyle is significantly more dangerous and almost impossible and very frustrating for people who are new to the mod.

Edited by vile.

Unless you're lying, you died at least 4 times due to easily avoidable bugs (excluding the instance where you spawned on another player).

And you rage about the "bandits" who shoot unarmed noobs in cherno/elektro/balota etc, who for a veteran player should be non issue, since there is no reason at all to stay there once you got some basic gear unless you want to get yourself killed over and over again.

The risk there is insanely high, and the reward non-existent for veteran players.

So unless you're just bad, you seem to be a very very careless player who doesn't really care about surviving or not.

90% of the real bandits are up north on the map, because this is where you get to fight people who can fight back and have a fairly high chance to get high end loot and vehicles.

This is what me and my group do atm and yea, it's alot of fun (at least for now)...

We pick one of several high priority locations, set up carefully planned ambushes and take out people who grow careless up north because they have good gear and vehicles.

Shooting unarmed players is of course stupid, because they are not worth the bullet and potentially giving away your location, but only really happens in the south.

Without the constant threat of real bandits wherever you are on the map this mod would be terrible.

And it has NOTHING to do with griefing (not talking about the elektro snipers here).

And if you think being a bandit up north where people are usually organized and know how to play is without risks, you're deluding yourself.

My main goal in this game is SURVIVAL, and me and my group chose to play as bandits.

I have never died to a sniper in either elektro or cherno becausei knew even before i started playing that those areas are death traps, and while i sometimes try i quick loot run there, i usually stop trying after i died once and just find everything i need to survive on my way up north.

I see no reason to go there at all besides hunting and killing people who are stupid enough to bring all their high end gear there to use freshly spawned players as target practice. (instead of just doing that in the editor)

So basically you are raging about dying to bugs and the "fps-crowd" on the coast.

Both of which are pretty much non-issues once you've learned the ropes of the game.

But instead of avoiding them, you blame bandits who have pretty much NOTHING to do with the issues you brought up and are one of the main factors why this game is such an intense and brutal experience.

The only thing i can agree with is that friendly survivors seeking to group up with strangers should have more tools available that makes it at least somewhat less risky, since committing yourself to that playstyle is significantly more dangerous and almost impossible and very frustrating for people who are new to the mod.

I don't go to cherno, elektro or balota. So I don't know why you're completely missing the point here.

I'm not against bandits (discounting the camping snipers) they keep the game in a tense atmosphere.

There needs to be a subtle way with out sugar coating things to add some weight to the action of killing a player. perma death isn't really enough right now

I don't go to cherno, elektro or balota. So I don't know why you're completely missing the point here.

I'm not against bandits (discounting the camping snipers) they keep the game in a tense atmosphere.

There needs to be a subtle way with out sugar coating things to add some weight to the action of killing a player. perma death isn't really enough right now

People keep saying this ( and I agree ), shit even Rocket has said this, but I have yet to hear one concrete suggestion beyond this that doesn't effectively ruin a particular facet of the game.

People keep saying this ( and I agree ), shit even Rocket has said this, but I have yet to hear one concrete suggestion beyond this that doesn't effectively ruin a particular facet of the game.

Because half this forum is dedicated to saying "QQ MOAR, IT'S ALPHA." or "Fine as is." both of which really don't help.

They don't discuss, they attack.

• Like 3

How does in-game support for groups/parties and channels "ruin" a particular facet of the game? Sure it might not be as realistic as we'd all like but it already happens anyway and has been sanctioned by the developer as ok. Putting it in-game would just make it easier to actually meet people within the game and more easily designate that they aren't hostile without the need to actually know the player before seeing his character.

What about a friends list? If both people confirm the other as friendly, they could easily add them to afforementioned groups, or see what server they're playing on. Maybe even go so far as to say where their character actually is.

I don't see how a menu or lobby chat on a server would disrupt much either. In fact, it would actually allow you to do all the moral character analysis stuff people keep saying is so great from outside of their crosshairs. It would be like global chat, except you would need to be not in the game to use it. You would make friends or partners there that you would have to trust enough to meet in game, with only their assurance. Furthermore, assuming you were both starting new characters at that point, the tension would increase as soon as you found the first weapon. Isn't this the whole distrust thing people are raving is so great about this game? It would be way more present in something like this than it is now where you can be assured virtually EVERYONE is bad and you won't even get a chance to talk before you're dead if you're dumb enough to actually try. Maybe this feature would lighten it too much... IDK, but lucky for us, and to quote the favorite phrase on these boards: it's alpha. Let's try it eh?

If you don't like nerfing anything bandit-wise, I disagree, but I can see your point and that's okay because I think plenty has been suggested simply to make cooperating more advantageous without necessarily ruining bandits' fun. Please note by bandits I mean actual bandits too, not herpaderps that just want to shoot people to ruin their day.

Have you seen the thread asking for every player to have unique skins? I mean there are a lot of suggestions that are just subtle things that wouldn't ruin a facet of the anti-game.

• Like 1

Even the forums are KoS :( ;) ^_^ :lol:

Edited by Sumdum
  • Like 3

There's no other way to have fun in this game than pissing off people like you. Seriously you're playing this for the PVE!?

Are you serious !?

There's no other way to have fun in this game than pissing off people like you. Seriously you're playing this for the PVE!?

Are you serious !?

Yes? is that bad? I'm trying to rebuild society however the tools I have are very limited T_T

Edited by Orthus

Even the forums are KoS :( ;) ^_^ :lol:

you get the award for best post of the thread. :lol:

Why should people be punished for something that is part of the game? You have a gun to survive, if you feel as if your life is threatened by another person holding a gun you shoot, I have multiple times because I felt threatened. Some people irl would actually go crazy and kill anyone they see if this happened. Besides this isn't even important, what is, are those damn D/Cers

Because half this forum is dedicated to saying "QQ MOAR, IT'S ALPHA." or "Fine as is." both of which really don't help.

So you are both a whiner and a hypocrite.

So you are both a whiner and a hypocrite.

And I suppose you've read the last 14 pages?

Nice to elaborate.

I really had much more fun back when there were actual friendlies and people teamed up. Now that we have a crew of 4-8 at any given time we just slaughter anyone on sight before they get us. We've been screwed over too many times by people claiming to be friendly, or people that just shoot first while you're debating the issue.

Our current mindset seems to be that we should just murder as many people as we can until the devs do something about it. We racked up a good 20 murders in cherno today and our only casualty was when someone ghosted behind my buddy and got the drop on him. Even then it only took 10 minutes to get back to his body and get his as50 back. I caught one guy dancing around in the street by the hospital. . . he was standing there, then crouched, then standing, then prone, and kept doing so for a couple minutes before he finally turned around and saw me 20m away. I blasted him and discovered that he was unarmed. Oh well.

Edited by JKflipflop

OP is spot on. The gaming experience has basically devolved. Look at this post in PC Gamer about the game when it first came out (or when he first discovered it). Read the author's description, about how he found fascinating the whole teaming up to survive even though they didn't speak the same language.

http://www.pcgamer.c...e-survival-mod/

If he had written that today, he and the guy he ran into would have shot each other. Then the author would have been shot many times by other players. He would have said it was a PVP deathmatch with some zombies thrown in...move along. Also watch the video he posted, showing dozens of players trying to figure everything out. Now, they would have all just shot each other.

All this talk about "IRL you can't identify murders, and in a IRL zombie apocalypse people would be killing others too" is weak bullshit used by people who don't want to admit to themselves the real reason. The very real reason this game has turned south for probably the majority of players who were drawn to it is very simple: The novelty of PvE - surviving a zombie apocalypse - has worn off for some players and they are looking for more thrills. And very simply, the pleasure they get out of ruining someone else's gaming experience exceeds the enjoyment they get out of the actual zombie-survival aspect. Go back to that video above (from the article) - most people watch videos like that because they want to see the player interaction...the zombie aspect is interesting but the cool part is the player interaction. How many people would watch that video if it was just one guy trying to sneak into some buildings while avoiding zombies, and running from every other player he sees because they might be trying to kill him? No one, that would be a boring clip, and likewise a boring game.

My theory is, left unchecked, this game will start "fail cascading" as good-natured players get annoyed and leave, which results in a higher percentage of griefer douchebags populating the servers. At some point you hit a "critical mass" of douchebaggery and at that point only noobs will join then quickly quit because only the dicks are left. My hope is at that point, all the DB's will just start hunting each other, with the dead DB's getting frusted and quitting because they keep dying from the now-better-equipped DB's until there is just one person left. It would be like that playground game "King of the Hill", except with douchebags.

Semi-unrelated: Here's a pretty funny read, some of which apply to this game.

http://www.cracked.c...-online-gaming/

Edited by Rdubs
  • Like 1

Oh sorry, meant to mention one point. To all the people who are "IRL people would kill each other on sight" - the way you know that's BS is because that didn't happen when the game was fresh. When the mod first came out, think about it - it was the closest simulator ever to survival in that world, no one knew the game mechanics or boundaries or game / server quirks / exploits. Everything was brand new. And look how people behaved - teaming up, cooperating, seeking out others to join forces. No one the first time they logged in thought, okay I'm going to go kill every player I see immediately. And even the handful of people who maybe did do that, the only reason they could do so was because it was a game. The vast majority of people responded to the newness exactly the same way they would have "IRL."

Then, over time, the newness wore off, routine or boredom started to build, and also people started becoming more familiar with the boundaries and mechanics of the game. At that point, as I mentioned previously, some players (hiding behind the anonymity the internet provides coupled with it being a video game) relieved that boredom by having fun trying to screw over players not interested in PvP. So those of you who do that, that's fine and we all support your right to be a DB. But I think the OP is trying to say that since people are currently behaving in ways they wouldn't do "IRL", which is made possible simply because it is a game, there should also be game mechanics to offset that asymmetry. You can't say "IRL you don't know who's a murderer" and try to use that excuse to murder non-threat players because you're bored.

EDIT: JUST FOR CLARIFICATION - I am not against bandits per se. I am against snipe-camping douchebags who shoot others who pose no threat to them just to make them have to restart. Best described by Dasein808 here.

http://dayzmod.com/f...220#entry368855

Edited by Rdubs
  • Like 2

There are ways to bring back a sense of freshness to the mod. Eliminate tents and vehicles and make resources scarce. With clans and teams storing up large amounts of loot. They have nothing to do. So they gear up and go raid other players. without being able to store tons of gear this would not be possible....players would always be a few dumb moves away from death. No camps full of ammo and vehicles and food. It will keep people with something to do. It would bring way more tension to the game. Because not only could you still get shot any moment. But the shooter has to make a critical decision as to whether or not its worth it to shoot. If they are starving then its worth it to unload that pistol. I'm just saying.....even the griefers/bandits and pk'rs are starting to complain there's nothing really to do. No real challenge anymore. So bring the challenge of the game back. there is so many ways to do it without implementing a "punish mechanic". make it all about resources. You don't go on killing sprees because the resources are to precious to waste. that's it. It would make the game more interesting and challenging for everyone.

Edited by playZ