Sign in to follow this  
wok

Lock vehicles to the player who repaired it

I was thinking it would be cool if when a player repairs a vehicle it would be locked and only he can use it (or players in his team, if team features would be added), and other players would need X item in order to steal it.

Something like, the player who repaired the vehicles has the keys, and other players can get the vehicle only if they have a toolbox to hotwire it or something like that.

Right know to get a vehicle repaired and working it take a lot of items, so it makes sense that to start a stolen vehicle you would need at least one item like a toolbox.

Edited by sebastian.w
  • Like 1

Yeah, fuck everyone who wants to get a vehicle! Having to defend your stuff is so boring. Maybe one day we'll get our tents locked so only we can loot them, and our characters locked so only we can shoot ourselves.

Edited by Techercizer
  • Like 7

I like the idea in general but not exactly like you supposed. Don't know another way to do this though either. I like the idea of killing somebody and finding car-keys in his inventory but I think it's better if you can steal a working (repaired) car without the need of any tools.

i though you couldn't pick up other players tent, only loot them. Something similar could happen with the vehicles, and the player could have the option to lock it or not.

To repair a vehicle you need tons of stuff, to steal one it doesn't sound bad to need only one (toolbox).

Edited by sebastian.w

Lock it...heck, I'll just shoot the window out, and let myself right on in.

For as much as you want to keep your "stuff", this just isn't going to work how you want it to...

Lock it...heck, I'll just shoot the window out, and let myself right on in.

For as much as you want to keep your "stuff", this just isn't going to work how you want it to...

You could shoot the window of a car, but without tools to hotwire it you can't start the engine.

• Like 1

Its the fucking apocalypse take anything to survive me and a friend found a blue van in a not so good hiding spot and let me tell you we have kept that in better condition than the canoriginal owner we go for regular drives searching for carports good and drinks we got 2 snipers protecting us it like perfect team

Edited by Pwnography

You know how vehicles get horded now? This would make it SO much worse

No

You know how vehicles get horded now? This would make it SO much worse

No

I don't think it will make a difference, you could always find a toolbox to steal a "locked" vehicle.

Edited by sebastian.w

I don't see why there couldn't be some kind of "key" function. I have no idea how to make a decent mechanic for it but if there could be ONE key (key to start the car, not to lock it) for a car which a player can have and any one who wants to steal a car without the keys would have to use a "Hotwire" action that takes 15 seconds, which would be a disaster if you are under stress. There could also be some engine sounds when trying to start it up and so on.

Having a key makes it easier but it does not keep other players from stealing it.

• Like 1

I like the idea of unique keys for every car that you need to turn the engine on, but you should still be able to hot-wire the car with some tool.

Guys, guys, guys. You can already hotwire a car with some tool. It's called the W key. Walk up to the car, get in it, press W. Hotwired.

Edited by datguy

I'm fine with having the need for a toolbox to hotwire a vehicle. Would also be cool if the player had to insert/remove the key in the ignition so that there is a chance to forget them in the vehicle.

If this was really the zombie apocalypse and I had a working vehicle, I'd consider removing something like battery cables or the starter to protect it.

What if cars could be locked by an owner but anyone with a toolbox could have the items necessary to get it running (hotwire, etc...). A locked vehicle could still be looted, but just not started.

Comments?

• Like 1

don't need tools to hotwire a car. at the most you might need crowbar/hatchet to break the steering lock(seen it done by hand though)

If this was really the zombie apocalypse and I had a working vehicle, I'd consider removing something like battery cables or the starter to protect it.

What if cars could be locked by an owner but anyone with a toolbox could have the items necessary to get it running (hotwire, etc...). A locked vehicle could still be looted, but just not started.

Comments?

That's exactly what I meant, but english is not my main lang so I can't explain myself well sometimes.

That's exactly what I meant, but english is not my main lang so I can't explain myself well sometimes.

LOL your english is fine... I apologize. I'm tired and didn't read your full post before starting mine... Your idea gets a +2 in my books...

good idea!

I have the keys of my car.. so anyone can use it (like arma)

Edited by khal_br

If I can't steal your car, I'll just blow it up and go looking for it after server restart..

If I can't steal your car, I'll just blow it up and go looking for it after server restart..

I really hope it's not gonna be like that in standalone.

The actual problem here is that you can't keep an eye on your vehicle while you are offline.

If you are playing and someone steals your car that's completely fair. But once you are offline, it just

sits there for everyone to take it and if you log in you'll just find an empty space not knowing if

someone stole it, or maybe it's a bug, or maybe hackers respawned it, or server restart didn't save

the vehicle...

I guess the best thing would be (if the car stays on the server) is to have an option to disable it somehow.

Taking the battery out or locking it (although it would be fair to enter it just by breaking the window, or shooting the lock(does that work irl?)).

Also if you ask me, i would not allow car parts to be found everywhere. Think realistically, where do you find car engine parts except in another car?

So to drive a car that has no battery you would first have to find a car that has a battery (it could be missing some other part). Also i think it would

be cool if you have to find appropriate part for that type of car.

Now for tents and other stuff that you leave on a server it just wont work. Why shouldn't you be able to take everything (including the tent) just

because someone else put it there?

I did write some idea about servers that would run once a week so non-frequent players could enjoy the full dayz here http://dayzmod.com/f...ge__hl__regular (maybe a lame way to bump a thread but it's somewhat related)

all in all I mostly agree with -Cdn-Chard and sebastian.w but I would really like to avoid "putting the car in your backpack" system

I don't see why there couldn't be some kind of "key" function. I have no idea how to make a decent mechanic for it but if there could be ONE key (key to start the car, not to lock it) for a car which a player can have and any one who wants to steal a car without the keys would have to use a "Hotwire" action that takes 15 seconds, which would be a disaster if you are under stress. There could also be some engine sounds when trying to start it up and so on.

Having a key makes it easier but it does not keep other players from stealing it.

I like it. It would be awesome, if engine noise would actually attract "Zombies" like crazy, so hotwiring in the middle of a city would be quite tricky.

I really hope this it not possible in the SA. A friend on mine made a suggestion about this a while back.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/88135-how-to-prevent-vehicle-hopping/#entry829990

summarized: Don't limit a car to just one spawn location, so you just can't predict where a vehicle will spawn.

I like the idea of keys. But I do not have the stated reasons.

How bring car keys in the game?

Fresh spawned cars:

The car keys could be loot in one of the zombies nearby. Maybe 10 percent chance that one zombie nearby have a key.

What are the benifits?

Bonus for cars with car keys:

Other players need to open the car destroy glasses first.

With tool box 15 seconds needed to start car first time.

Without tool box 1 minute needed to start car first time.

The alarm system sounding when windows are broken. If Zombies nearby they get attention and aggro.

So, now steal my car when I loot the store.