Sign in to follow this  
Babaganoush

Disconnecting while underfire bannable?

I was watching a stream one night when someone who was under attack out of nowhere disconnected to save his stuff.

I see this a lot. Someone on stream said that it was bannable everytime you disconnect with that icon of ethernet cords disconnecting up.

I hunt bandits a lot and this is no new matter to me. Everytime I hit a bandit and he doesn't suspect it, he quickly logs off to save his gear. Sometimes I wait at the same spot for them to log back on, but they usually don't; I am assuming that they change servers.

So is it bannable like one guy said? Or was he just making things up?

If you can prove it happened, I don't see why not. I mean it's practically an exploit. The problem is proving it if the admin didn't see it for himself.

Or, as it was discussed in other topics, the character should stay in the position for 30 seconds when player disconnected.

Or' date=' as it was discussed in other topics, the character should stay in the position for 30 seconds when player disconnected.

[/quote']

This

Or' date=' as it was discussed in other topics, the character should stay in the position for 30 seconds when player disconnected.

[/quote']

No, absolutely not.

A 30 second timer to logout where you do not move is much more reasonable. However, it's unknown if that is possible or not. At no time, however, should a player who legitimately logs out be venerable to fire they never knew about. This would leave to Bandit tactics such as waiting for players to disconnect before rushing in and killing them, without prior engaging. Yes it is unfair for players to logout in the middle of a firefight, but it is MUCH more unfair for players to legitimately logout and be blindly rushed by Bandits or other players.

Agreed, that way you would have to find a good hiding spot before disconnecting.

Like I have said before, there are many ways to Dc in game but we need to stop them one at a time.

Day Z should detect when alt+f4 are pressed and immediately light up the player who did it and play a loud as hell disco tune whilst the game auto fires every bullet in his gun and pack to attract all zombies .. add to that he gets put into a dance pose for 5 minutes and shows up on everyone's map as "Shoot me, I have Franks'n'Beans!!"

I think that sounds reasonable ..... ;)

Until server issues are sorted this is more or less unprovable. I was at the NW airfield today with 7 others in my group and we were about halfway done clearing. Had 3 buildings garrisoned and then we came under fire from a couple different angles.

We also started getting desync like a motherfucker for about half our guys. I don't know why, maybe because the zombies we had just killed respawned in droves.

I'm sure the people shooting at us thought some of our guys were disconnecting on purpose. We lost a couple guys and we never leave anyone so we didn't disengage. We were definitely there in a firefight taking rounds for about half an hour.

We also saw a guy in the treeline to the east fire and then he kinda just went away. Same with a guy that was in the firestation. Never found his body.

I seriously think people disconnect and reconnect at will all the time. The only way to for sure kill someone is two in the back when they don't know it's coming.

Again, I'm just speculating that guys we were shooting at disconnected, the connect/disconnect frequency in busy servers is ridiculous so how could I know, and I'm sure someone out there is thinking my group is a bunch of fags for disconnecting.

So in short, we were engaged, we fought hard, we took casualties, we killed a couple, got desync really bad, had some crashes. Until stability is no longer an issue, I'm just gonna deal with it.

I live in the middle of nowhere, my connection is complete horse shit, I can barely play the game as is. I get booted off because of my unstable connection at least once every other hour, and I don't PVP because of it. I got disconnected in the middle of sneaking through a horde yesterday and just happened to be lucky enough to log back in on a server that hadn't spawned any in on my location yet. If my body were left for 30 seconds after my connection shits out I'd surely be dead 10 times over because of it. Don't make that kind of mistake. People like me already have to suffer through a crappy connection, don't punish us further because of people who can't handle dying in this game.

I live in the middle of nowhere' date=' my connection is complete horse shit, I can barely play the game as is. I get booted off because of my unstable connection at least once every other hour, and I don't PVP because of it. I got disconnected in the middle of sneaking through a horde yesterday and just happened to be lucky enough to log back in on a server that hadn't spawned any in on my location yet. If my body were left for 30 seconds after my connection shits out I'd surely be dead 10 times over because of it. Don't make that kind of mistake. People like me already have to suffer through a crappy connection, don't punish us further because of people who can't handle dying in this game.

[/quote']

I'm sorry but, its either a fluke situation like yours, or eleminating deliberate exploiting.

Something has to be done, and if it messes up people that are playing on a bad connection, so be it, otherwise pvp will be determined by 1-shot kills, or if you/they don't die combat is over and they are safe.

I was moving near Zelenogorsk the other day and I saw a bandit kill a survivor about 500 meters away, but I only had my makarov, so I started sprinting towards the area (along with all the zombies that were following his Enfield shot) and I got 3 bullets into him when he dc'd.

I say something like 15 seconds would be completely reasonable to prevent crap like happening this.

Otherwise I could just snipe somebody with a CZ in the middle of a zombie infested town with no penalty.

I cant see how you can ban someone for doing that. Maybe a logoff timer could solve this problem. I guess this is obviously but... try headshots.

A 30 second timer to logout where you do not move is much more reasonable. However' date=' it's unknown if that is possible or not.

[/quote']

it is possible. but there's always Alt+F4

Considering how slow paced ArmA gun fighting can be 30 seconds can be enough time to disconnect anyway, especially at long ranges.

What might work is if you have something like the amount of time it takes to log off depends on how many players/zombies are nearby and how close they are to you. As well as the last time you fired a shot.

In the middle of nowhere with no one around? Disconnect instantly.

In the middle of a gunfight? Wait like 5 minutes or something.

You should have the option of leaving early, but your character will still remain for the allotted period. If you move or fire a shot (looking around doesn't count, as you might need to keep your crosshair trained on someone you don't trust) then the timer is cancelled.

People that DC legitimately would be screwed but that's just the risk of playing a game online. There's not much that can be done about that.

How is fucking over people who are legit having connection issues, or people who are just trying to log off so they can do something else okay?

Sure, there are SOME people who are lamebos, but severely inconveniencing everyone who plays the game so you can get your nerdragey catharsis on a couple of dickheads is a hilariously stupid idea.

If someone is consistently DCing to avoid dying or confrontations, ask a server admin if they would consider banning them, you don't need to come crying to the forums and demanding that they take time out of actually improving the game so you can shoot some dude.

game already has hit detection, just make it if your being shot at or shot you get stuck in game for 10, 15 30 seconds whatever.

that way people with shitty connections, or who just really have to exit right now etc can do so without any threat to them. If you're not under fire or havent been shot in the last 5-10 seconds, it wont happen.

or something like that.

The idea that your char stays behind after you log out for a certain amount of time is rubbish and will never work.

a 15 second wait until you can log out seems reasonable if you cant get another shot on someone in 15 seconds then they deserve to escape :D

One way to deal with this until devs find a server fix is to have fraps running at all times

So when it hits the fan you click a button and have undeniable proof.

The idea that your char stays behind after you log out for a certain amount of time is rubbish and will never work.

a 15 second wait until you can log out seems reasonable if you cant get another shot on someone in 15 seconds then they deserve to escape :D

But how would that work if they can just press alt-f4.

Besides that would still not solve the issue with people just disconnecting from zombies. If zombies are chasing you could just start the log off timer while running.

Something needs to be done since its already such a common problem that won't go away.

It will most likely get worse the more people start getting attached to their gear.

Its really ruining the most important thing this game is trying to achieve. It removes alot of the struggle to survive.

Making the character stay on server after logoff for like 15-20 sec seems like a good idea. Its not hard to find a good place to log off.

This should definitely be put in, some sort of waiting time before you log out. I do wonder if this reduces the high server capacity.

This should definitely be put in' date=' some sort of waiting time before you log out. I do wonder if this reduces the high server capacity.

[/quote']

Again, Alt+F4 makes it a moot point, since you could just do that, and you'd disappear anyway.

This should definitely be put in' date=' some sort of waiting time before you log out. I do wonder if this reduces the high server capacity.

[/quote']

Again, Alt+F4 makes it a moot point, since you could just do that, and you'd disappear anyway.

But they would need to make it so that even if you ALT F4 you will stay in the same place for an X amount of seconds.