M&M

This mod's community is awful

You were trying to be friendly in cherno and elektro? The #1 and #2 pvp areas in Day Z? That's probably why. I've found plenty of people who wanted to work together outside of those areas. And even some inside them. Though I suspect most of it was because I had a better gun than they did (<= talking about the guys who didn't shoot me on sight in elektro/cherno).

Yes, as i already said, i was new at the game when i was trying to be friendly with people in Elektro and Cherno. Seeing as how i get killed on the coast when i have nothing, i would never want to talk to someone inland when i might actually have some decent gear.

I guess I'm also doing something wrong, since not everyone has killed me on sight - and especially in big cities, most people have just heeinz beenz so why bother? I have killed some lad once, half-accident. Usually I just watch where they go and such. I've given taxi services once without getting shot in the face :P

But the last time... I was driving along the roads. Suddenly there's an ambush and I get my usual glitches... how the hell would they know I was going there? Wait all day until someone goes through? Doesn't sound too plausible for such a gamer base of short attention spans (I admit, I have a short span too). They were either very good or hackers... idk. Mind blown :P

Sorry for the OT

Edited by Private Poptarts

Which other game do you know other than ultima online where there are specific instances where you can tanktrap doorways/ Sandbag a hole in the wall and completely block off a loot spawn point with barbwire so that other people have to actually 'ADAPT' to a better gameplay style that benefits EVERYONE by playing smarter?

In UO you could tame a ton of farm animals to protect random players you didn't liek playing with and if they attacked the animals in town the guards would behead them with impunity.

unlike the rest of you clowns whining, I actually understand what Rocket is trying to achieve here. He's upping the quality of gamers through extreme difficulty. Difficulty that other players are putting up. NOT AI.

Get it in your head, to survive is to adapt and outwit the competition.

Every player that is not in my team is Sheep. DIE SHEEP DIE.

Hahaha oh wow. Watch out we have a badass over here. A real ELITE of dayz.

So first of all you are barbwiring every building in the game to make people better at the game? What a frigging joke. You do it only to be an asshole, there is no other reason for it. And the way you "oh lol adapt" to barbwire spam is to server hop through it. I see you are promoting healthy behavior.

And "adapting" to "Free For All Deathmatch Unless You Know The Guy" is to do what other people are doing, shoot on sight. People already do it.

If there were an actual apocalypse such as the one portrayed in dayz, i'm sure most people would try to kill all the zombies and save humanity. Sure there will be some looting and maybe a very little bit of murder, but the vast majority of humans will team up.

The vast majority will be dead. Most of those who'll live will be a tough fighters or ones who already live in their personal apocalypse today. Trusting and good will be wiped out first. Those who left will know better to not just partner with strangers. Such partnership only can happen when either they know each other from before or confrontation would mean mutual destruction. But unfortunately the latter wouldn't work in DayZ because nobody cares for dying that much, it is just a game after all.

If there were an actual apocalypse such as the one portrayed in dayz, i'm sure most people would try to kill all the zombies and save humanity. Sure there will be some looting and maybe a very little bit of murder, but the vast majority of humans will team up.

*I would not be so sure about that. When hell breaks loose its just a matter of time before some people start to break. I would fear other humans more then the zombies since zombies are predictable but humans are not.*

Besides that i dont know if the whole community here is awful, but as the rule seems to be shoot first and forget about the questions later. Even if you are not a bandit you cant be sure that the player you encounter is friendly or not. It is just part of the game atmosphere which i think would reflect irl aswell atleast partial. Well perhaps besides those who camp all day in a tower for someone to run by and snipe them, but i guess such players get something out of it aswell.

Hahaha oh wow. Watch out we have a badass over here. A real ELITE of dayz.

So first of all you are barbwiring every building in the game to make people better at the game? What a frigging joke. You do it only to be an asshole, there is no other reason for it. And the way you "oh lol adapt" to barbwire spam is to server hop through it. I see you are promoting healthy behavior.

And "adapting" to "Free For All Deathmatch Unless You Know The Guy" is to do what other people are doing, shoot on sight. People already do it.

I never said I 'rigged buildings' but those who do it forced me to change my playstyle. Now that there are beartraps however....my imagination can be played out ingame.

hi,

People kill each other since it is easy loot, simple as that. :)

cya.

Nikiller.

• Like 1

I was arranging to meet up with my mate in Bor last night and he was just looting one of the deerstands there.

He shat bricks as a player appeared from behind the deerstands - I heard my mate jamming 'Friendly! Unarmed' and then "Woah, nice one".

Apparently the guy just leant left and right before dropping an AK and two mags.

Not everyone is an underage wannabee-badass like Blackgoofguy here.

Do what I do. Joined a clan = shoot everyone else. = problem solved =D

With the short range of directional, if someone talks to you over it, they are already too close for comfort. The rational thing to do is to run away or take them out.

While I understand the reasoning for taking out sidechat, it actually hurt player interaction in the game a lot. I've had friendly chats with people I've killed or who have killed me in other games. Most of the people I play DayZ with are EVE players I met while fighting them in that game. That whole dynamic is impossible in DayZ now.

Killing by sport is just the definition of what's wrong with this mod. Why you may ask, because it just proves how void is the gameplay when your priority is just camp until some victim shows up

Its not a awful community, its how the game is. Kill or be killed.

• Like 1

it just proves how void is the gameplay when your priority is just camp until some victim shows up

You realise this game as a whole would be void without the PvP element? It would go from difficult to no challenge whatsoever. Zombies are already pretty much irrelevant, the only reason to sneak round them is to avoid alerting other players you're there.

this mod was good in the beggining, but yeah the community has turned to crap... all the new people coming in, is not coming in for what the game is about, but just because of the hype...

Community is just about the same as any other game, poor example but compare spawn sniping to high levels killing low levels in MMO's gives them nothing at all besides annoying people.

Side chat was to easy to abuse with "Sniped in Elektro/Stary/Airfield, Guys in hills/building/hangar" granted some servers still have it and friendly chats are still happening, i've seen on many that have it "Nice shot mate" and "Wow you deserve my gear after that firefight" and only rarely the rude swearing and name calling from players being sniped.

It's also what you make of it, sure 50/50 you'll get killed but just helping out a guy could turn into a great friendship, run around donating bloodbags to newbies or morphine to randoms.

One day i found a guy sitting in a random shed and he said he couldn't pick up a hatchet so i put it in my backpack and let him take it from there, proceeded to run for a few hours until my keyboard messed up and i couldn't move.

Point is, every single community has the bad apples, but there is also some good ones to, take a chance and who knows, if you KoS you might miss out on the overwatch you wished you always had for looting NW Airfield.

I gave up being friendly this weekend. Ive played for 2 weeks & it doesn't matter if im in cherno, stary sobor or out in the middle of nowhere people still try to shoot without warning regardless of weather or not you say friendly & you're unarmed. The only people who havnt shot on sight are people who are unarmed...

So Saturday was the final straw after 2 weeks of trying to be friendly. Some guy spawned in a lootable building in Msta right in front of me while i was checking my map on my dashboard. When i tabbed back & saw him i said friendly & also typed this in direct coms. At this point i could have just killed him as he didn't even know i was there. To avoid a conflict though I backed out the building. Said friendly again but got no reply as he also left the building. Still no response & he then shoots me. I managed to get a head shot & take him down too before i went unconscious & died. Called him a dick for being a dick...we both died cos he was a dick...what a complete dick.

Next life i link up with a guy heading north not long after spawning. Despite being friendly for no reason he decides to chop me with an axe for my flashlight & bandage.

3rd life, already tooled up, i get to the supermarket in electro & see a dude looting. Cannot be arsed going through the same BS as the last 2 weeks so i just shot him.

I think im still gonna try be friendly despite my murder but my new rule is that if i dont get a response in 30 seconds then im shooting.

Also for the record i dont wanna get rid of the PVP elements as its what makes the game so intense. I just wish there were more incentives for randoms to team up.

That is just people bro. Have you been outside recently? People suck. Adapt.

This.

People seem to think that everyone in real life is friendly and will share everything they have with you. They won't. People steal, cheat, and even kill to get what they want. If they don't like you, they don't usually kill you for 1 simple reason. Because there are laws against killing people, and trained professionals with guns will kill them if they kill you.

Ingame, there are no professionals protecting people from each other. There is no law, there is no police, there are no people stopping them from killing you.

So adapt or die. You want to find someone that won't kill you? Search on forums, or play with friends. Otherwise, you have to deal with:

*Players that kill for fun.

*Players that kill to defend themselves, and running at them with a gun will excite them into firing on you. That's all it takes.

*Players that are going to die, either from lack of food/water, or from running out of morphine, bandages or other material. They'll kill you for your loot.

*Players that hate you, or are guarding something. Guarding looters in town, guarding camps in the woods, or even trying to repair a car and you just happen to be too close.

And remember, if you want to approach someone, don't do it in the open. And don't expect them to be friendly. Give them 10 seconds to respond, and then expect them to be hostile if they don't. Self Preservation first. After man hunted wolves and wiped the last real threat down, we became our own worst enemy. And this has continued until today. Humans are no friends to one another. At a distance, you are not a person, you are an armed and dangerous threat with the potential to end their lives and they will treat you as such.

you think this community sucks? go play league of legends. let me know which is worse..

Your definition of a "bad community" seems to be one in which not every single individual precisely shares your motivations, desires and values. Doesn't that strike you as an incredibly self-centered view of the world?

If that is truly the standard by which you judge communities then you will never be happy in any community whether virtual or real.

People want different things. They play the game for different reasons. Even when people share a destination, they will often take different paths to get there - and people sharing one path aren't necessarily working toward the same destination. I can say it a million different ways - but it's best summarized thusly: Not everyone is you.

The pure and simple beauty of DayZ is that we all get to play our own way and nobody comes along with a paddle and spanks our little behinds if we step out of line or say a dirty word or write on our desk or eat cupcakes for dinner.

And DayZ is interesting, exciting and unpredictable precisely because of this. You have no idea if the people you're playing with are like you, nervously hoping for some kind of friendly human contact, or if they're just waiting in the shadows for an opportunity to jam the hot end of an LMG up your virgin turd cutter and pull the trigger until your intestines come out your eye sockets.

Looting a grocery store and picking up some old tin cans and beans? Sounds pretty fucking boring. Doing it while constantly worried that at any moment some ridiculous, axe-wielding maniac might storm in the door screaming and chopping my limbs off? Suddenly not so boring.

How interesting would this "community" really be if it didn't include individuals who seek to rock the boat a bit? To upset your play session with some random gunfire? To impede your progress toward your goal? You should be welcoming these people and thanking them. Just like you they are a critical variable in the overall equation of DayZ. If you take them out, the whole system collapses and we're back to playing Left 4 Dead: Chernarus.

You will say "Oh, but some people play only to ruin the fun of others." But, how can they do that if being pursued by them is part of the fun? If you stop worrying about that gun you lost or how many cooked meats you had in your bag when you got shot and start worrying more about the pure joyful experience of just playing the game then nobody can come along and ruin that for you no matter what they do.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 2

This.

People seem to think that everyone in real life is friendly and will share everything they have with you. They won't. People steal, cheat, and even kill to get what they want. If they don't like you, they don't usually kill you for 1 simple reason. Because there are laws against killing people, and trained professionals with guns will kill them if they kill you.

Ingame, there are no professionals protecting people from each other. There is no law, there is no police, there are no people stopping them from killing you.

I see this train of logic brought up all the time in these threads, and it makes no sense. Humanity would have driven itself to extinction thousands of years ago if the average human being was as bloodthirsty as you suggest. Homo sapiens are social animals and most will seek the company of others. Even in places where society has actually broken down through war, famine, etc. the "brigands" who prey on others generally form groups. Only the truly sociopathic would run around solo killing everybody they saw without a moment's hesitation, and they likely wouldn't live very long before being killed by one of the aforementioned groups.

If law and order broke down tonight, would there people who would use force to get what they want? Yes, no doubt. Would there be a lot more murder than there is now? I'm sure. Would your neighbor suddenly decide to come next door and blow your brains out because of that one time you blocked his driveway? Probably not unless he was already a psychopath and considering doing it anyway.

Edited by Maderas
  • Like 3

OP, did you consider the fact that you shot a sheep with your enfield? Use a pistol next time. An Enfield shot in Berezino attracts zombies from Stary Sobor and players from Kamenka.

• Like 1

Yesterday, while sneaking through Cherno (after beeing popped there 3 times in a row before) I suddenly faced this guy with a silenced gun and thought "oh shit, getting popped one more time" ... when he actually asked me if I needed something, then he dropped a can + some soda and went along. I was like "wtf" ...

Not everyone is a badass. Do not fall for the dark side!

This.

In-game, there are no professionals protecting people from each other. There is no law, there is no police, there are no people stopping them from killing you.

It's definitely true killing people is a much more efficient way to play the game. Saying "laws and trained professionals" as the only simple reason people don't do this in real life though, is highly flawed and inaccurate assumption historically, at best. You may want to check your facts.

In the beginning of mankind, do you think there were laws and "trained professionals" to punish people? The humankind even went through an apocalypse event some 750,000 years ago (Toba Eruption), yet we still evolved to how we are today instead of going into extinction because people kill each other senselessly. Humans are very social creatures. We eventually realize the benefits of working together over individually, namely, convenience and security. This is real life, not The Matrix. Do you think in real life, you could somehow fly choppers, manufacture your own weapons and ammo that you so highly prize to kill others all on your own? Someone with the expertise has to do those things. If everyone in real life is as you suggest, we'd all still be stuck in stone age. In real life, things don't just "spawn" for you to loot.

This is a game, people need to stop comparing it to real life cause it simply isn't. It's true that there are definitely people in real life that are just like that, but those are few and far between and will quickly be weeded out by the rest of the population (as we are doing today).

Edit: Lol, I just re-checked my facts. I confused the Toba Eruption (~70,000 years) with the Yellowstone Eruption (~640,000 years). It doesn't affect anything else though.

Edited by Whattteva
  • Like 3

This.

So adapt or die. You want to find someone that won't kill you? Search on forums, or play with friends. Otherwise, you have to deal with:

*Players that kill for fun.

*Players that kill to defend themselves, and running at them with a gun will excite them into firing on you. That's all it takes.

*Players that are going to die, either from lack of food/water, or from running out of morphine, bandages or other material. They'll kill you for your loot.

*Players that hate you, or are guarding something. Guarding looters in town, guarding camps in the woods, or even trying to repair a car and you just happen to be too close.

And remember, if you want to approach someone, don't do it in the open. And don't expect them to be friendly. Give them 10 seconds to respond, and then expect them to be hostile if they don't. Self Preservation first. After man hunted wolves and wiped the last real threat down, we became our own worst enemy. And this has continued until today. Humans are no friends to one another. At a distance, you are not a person, you are an armed and dangerous threat with the potential to end their lives and they will treat you as such.

This is a pretty skewed perspective on humanity.

Reality is that murderers and psychopaths would quickly become ostracised by the rest - the funcitonal part, of humanity.

The reason why people shoot on sight here is because

A) Communication is so rudimentary

B ) Teamwork is not a strong enough element beyond: more firepower + extra set of eyes aka. all are just things that help you kill the other players better

C) It's a game. Games are where normal standards are not in force, as there's no actual consequence for killing the other guy's character.

Humans are social creatures and strive for society. Like most other creatures.

That is just people bro. Have you been outside recently? People suck. Adapt.

Have -you- been outside recently?

It's pretty disheartening to see so many people who think misanthropism is cool, hip, right - whatever. I just wish it would stick to the internet (which it doesn't).

More on topic. I'm more toward saying that the community isn't really that bad. For me atleast. I play on UK 22 exclusively, and have come to know familiar faces and who there is to trust. Ofcourse, strangers come and go, but none of them appear to be trolls or mindless cod-kiddies/bf3nubs/assholes/kiddies or whatever we want to label a very generic group of people of whom to qualify under a very generic criteria.

Just last night, a friend and I were looting through Elektro in the dark, where there were also 5 or 6 other complete strangers doing the same. No one shot on sight.

A short while after, as we were leaving we noticed two guys coming in over the hills with a sniper and rifle - where they opened fire on the town, but everyone worked together and took them down immediately with only one casualty. Made some friends and continued our journey to Berezino.

Edited by Scerun
  • Like 2

Even with all the bandits this community is still better then LoL and COD put together...