BurstFire (DayZ)

Losing your backpack in water/filling up water bottle

Think this feature should be removed (losing your backpack that is), especially as you can't refill your water bottle unless you go swimming. It shouldn't be a risk just to fill up a water bottle. To be honest, it's a backpack, it's got straps, it shouldn't randomly fall off and still not be retrievable. If anything, I'm suggesting that you be able to pick up your backpack if it stupidly falls off, provided if you're within reach. Maybe it should just slow you down depending on how much you've got in it instead. Even more so, once the filling up of water bottle feature is better tweaked, losing your backpack shouldn't be enabled.

Writing this up because I went into the waters in the west dam, wasn't even that deep, and I suddenly lost my newly acquired ALICE pack with loads of stuff in it. I could actually reach the backpack and items but could I get it? No, course not, only just get a few items I didn't have in my pack. Makes no sense nor is it balanced right now.

He's basically right though. I mean, you can, and probably should have to put your pack down before you go swimming, but I don't want to be losing shit like my gun and everything else just to fill up a water bottle in a pond.

Losing stuff could stay, if I only had to go like waist deep to fill a water bottle in a pond, like the ocean.

Sure, drop your stuff, but technically, you shouldn't always have. Not only that, sometimes you still can't pick up your stuff, and you should STILL be able to pick up your backpack if it's within reach underwater. It's just too buggy right now to keep if you have to actually swim each time to fill up your bottle :/

Other means, but none nearby.

You could fill it up at one of the wells instead of having to swim.

Bugs = Alpha + arma engine.

You don't lose your backpack in the water, you drop it yourself, automatically to avoid drowning.

You only drop it yourself if you're swimming for too long. Swimming with full gear drains your stamina in 10-20 seconds. If you sprint to the lake, run/walk counched, you're already spending your stamina, before you even start swimming. If you start swimming without any stamina, you drop your junk instantly.

Rest before swimming, also only go swimming with adult supervision.

There wasn't a well nearby the dam lol. Nothing was nearby. I wasn't even swimming for that long, honestly. Went in for 1-5 secs and bam, it just drops. I'd been slowly walking through the water until that point too. Either way you should be able to grab it if you can :/

Did you walk crouched?

Anyways as soon as you switch to swimming ou should fill your bottles and return to shore. IF you lose it as soon as you switch to swimming, you can move close to your dropped gear, kneel uder water and with a little patience, get everything back.

Droping backpack and other stuff in water is not a bug and it is implemented in ArmA 2. If you don't want to lose your gear, wait until you are fully rested and then you can jump into the water to fill you bottle

It's a feature that's part of the game and it CAN'T be removed. It's been a feature since ArmA. Your carrying over 50 pounds of gear. Yeah, let's swim with all that weight.

I understand where people are coming from, it's just a surprisingly buggy feature when combined with losing your inventory/not being able to pick it up sometimes when you drop stuff. If the frequency of you losing your backpack could be adjusted, that would be an improvement too.

This is not a feature, this is a bug that has been around since arma.

Also to it's quite stupid that people say you drop it because the gear is too heavy... >_> In any case you could use the backpack as a flotation device.

Problem is you have to start swimming before you can fill the water bottles. If possible ( due to arma limitations) you should just be able to crouch at the end of a lake and fill the bottle.

Well whatever, if you prefere to jump into a lake after sprinting for the last 60 seconds go ahead and drop your gear to the bottom. If you don't like to lose all your gear, take a moment to rest before you jump in.

As ItAx said, this is a FEATURE implemented in the ArmA 2 engine. It therefore would be very difficulty/impossible to remove, and even then while annoying I feel it contributes to the realism aspect.

i can get with this. its dumb to lose your shit just filling up a water bottle

If you drop your backpack, you still risk it dissapearing. Getting water a the risk of your gear magically vanishing is all part of the survival!

I think you can swim with your gun. At least I didn't have problems with that.

The backpack doesn't disappear, but if you drop it too close to the water or at some bad ground it can get teleported to some other place in the neighborhood. I found out by not giving up my search for it once, it appeared on the other side of the pond and looked like a stone from a distance.

I really like how u can fill ur bottles up at a river, ocean, pond, or water pump. That was a really great immersion idea IMO.

I fully support this idea, as it certainly does make sense, and it would not be detrimental to the "realism" of this game.

Let's be honest, we all love this game because the unthinkable can happen, (much like in real life,) but silly glitches like bags falling off and DISAPPEARING, well that'd perhaps be something to pay attention to. Like Burstfire suggests, you should be able to recover your bag/items once they've left your possession. We all know things don't dissipate in to mid air... on a regular basis anyways.

Christ guys, losing your gear in the water is PART OF THE GAME. It's an old feature. You can't TAKE. IT. OFF.

You don't even have to swim in the water to fill up your water bottle. Move into the ocean/lake/river till it goes up to your knees, aim at the water, open action menu, fill water bottle.

I never had trouble dropping gear before doing anything dangerous. Like not bringing my whole equipment when repairing a boat, climbing a ladder with only a handgun or when refilling my water bottles.

In all fair sense the natural water sources are a bit daft anyway. Drinking from a small still lake or from the sea isn't actual survival guide material, though the pumps are nice addition.