teapot156

Mandatory 3rd person disabled

I kind of see the appeal of 3rd person. I think at the time I couldn't find any 1st person servers (didn't have dayz cmdr), but now I notice there's quite a variety.

Playing in third person is unrealistic but so is playing in the first person view, you can't reproduce the senses of the human body so you have to try and create substitutes.

3rd person view is a cheat in any FPS game.

It allows a person to see around a corner while his entire body is behind the wall.

It's not possible in real life, so it's a cheat.

Since this is a warfare simulator and not a hack and slash adventure game it need to go...unless someone shows us a way to seeing 3RD person in REAL LIFE.

It's not like you're forced to play on servers with third person.

Playing in third person is unrealistic but so is playing in the first person view, you can't reproduce the senses of the human body so you have to try and create substitutes.

But what sense does third person emulate? outer body experiences?

Sense of smell?

Liberal use of the alt button gives you the same effect as the 3rd person view minus the ability to see around corners without actually looking.

Hello there

I say keep it down to a server choice.

There are so many games I do not buy due to being 3rd person only. It baffles me when they don't give the user the choice to go into first person.

In short, even though i loathe it personally, people should be allowed 3rd person in server settings. Same with tgt Blobs, crosshairs, grass etc.

freedom to choose is key.

Rgds

LoK

I actually think this is needed. So few servers have 3rd person off (like 5-10%?) and I prefer 1st person, meaning I'm at a huge disadvantage.

Not to mention that since this game is going for a semi-realist experimental perspective, I think it would really help in that area.

And since you can turn down the camera shake in options, that can't be used as an excuse. :)

ummm how bout you simply play on servers with it disabled and leave the rest of us who like playing in 3rd person alone..

why is it when a feature doesnt interest someone, they try to tell everyone else they cant use it either..

NO sale on removing 3rd person..

ya know, if ya use dayz commander, there's a little ticky box, you can tick it if you like, will stop the nasty nasty 3rd person servers from showing up....Then you have no need to moan about it...

I think OP should expand his scope, the game is going to standalone they could implement a different system or nerfs to 3rd person to eliminate/reduce the ability to view around corners or over the tops of things.

I can't see them removing it because people would bitch, but I agree that it is OP and leads to easy ambushes, you can use the feature also though, and are dumb not to if its available to you.

I just hope that there is no choice with standalone, corporate servers that all have the same settings, single difficulty, one hive, no escape.

ummm how bout you simply play on servers with it disabled and leave the rest of us who like playing in 3rd person alone..

why is it when a feature doesnt interest someone, they try to tell everyone else they cant use it either..

NO sale on removing 3rd person..

^This, there's plenty of 3DP off servers, as well as a ton of servers that have Crosshairs off / combination of the too, why do you feel the need to try to get features removed and force everyone else to play the way YOU deem is the correct way when you can simply join one of the many 3DP off servers and both groups can have what they want?

First person in video games is woefully unrealistic and will remain so for a very long time, and while 3DP isn't realistic in itself neither are zombies or people camping outside of towns and murdering people and alerting everyone in the area to their location just to be a dick, 3DP balances out the terrible first person some and it should remain up to the server owners to decide if it is turned on on their server or not.

As for there being alot more 3DP on servers than there are 3DP off servers that right there should tell you that your opinion is not the popular opinion on the subject and that the majority prefer to have 3DP on, and majority rules.

I want to be able to set my FOV to 270 degrees, that'll help more with peripheral vision than 3rd person does. It would also be a little disorienting and the forward direction would be about two inches across on my monitor, so how about we just leave 3rd person in the game?

As others have said, here and elsewhere, 3rd person is an imperfect fix for an imperfect simulation. For every time you say, "You can't see around corners without exposing any part of your body, someone can say, "Yeah, but I can see around corners without exposing 40% of my body, and I can look through a bush without taking a half-dozen lurching steps around until my eye level lines up with a gap in the branches, and I can lift my head up high enough to see over some grass without assuming a kneeling stance, and I can tell where my feet are without looking down at them, and I can do a thousand other things to gain situational awareness that the game cannot replicate as it currently exists."

Third person might give too much information, but first person gives too little. The decision to use one or the other is best left to the server administrator and the end user.

I saw a demo for the ARMA3 engine, which showed a different stance, where the player can be crouched and yet still pop his head up and down to peer over objects and get back in cover..

It looked pretty nice, coupled with the lean feature it could work well.

I quit if they do that first person is awful and the FOW is like 4 maybe 5 and some servers don't let you set the FOW.

And looking over walls and into rooms is not a big part off the game when the map is huge and fire fights happen at 50-100m not 5-20m

The 3rd person camera grants excessive levels of battlefield awareness. To observe something, it should come at some risk of exposure.

For instance, you can sit in a control tower prone when your entire body is covered and see everything that is going on outside.

This will also eleivate a lot of the really annoying "sniping" thats been going on. A player will sit in a well concealed location that would normally obsure any kind of field of fire and will just come out of the cover to make a cheap shot when the moment is right.

The stakes are high for combat and death in this game because of the pain in the ass of respawning, which is a great thing. 3rd person perpective cheapens the engagments and levels of realism.

I say field goal kick the entire feature out of the mod. ;)

Go play on servers with this option disabled and stop crying please.

This mod wasn't just made for you, there are other people playing, but i bet you know that, right?

But what sense does third person emulate? outer body experiences?

It doesn't emulate a sense, it compensates for other senses that aren't reproduced effectively enough by the game. For example your visual field in real life is quite big, it can be up to 200 degrees (that is 100 degrees each side of your nose. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_field) . That means that you can actually see behind you slightly, when in first person your visual field would be lucky to be 90 degrees.

At the end of the day neither first or third views are realistic, it is no more realistic to be able to see around corners than it is to not be able to see some standing right next to you. Everything in a game is a compromise or an interpretation of real life, nothing is ever fully realistic.

Or keep it as an option to please everyone, and people who don't want it to be in the game go play on Expert servers where 3DP is off.

Lots of people like it, and everyone can use it. You should be aware that 3rd person is used to "peek" over walls and such, and should adjust accordingly. That said, if you don't like it, no one is forcing you to stay on servers that have 3DP enabled.

Using my rez powers to get this forum going. Im gonna bet 95% of people who commented on this forum no longer play the game. Go ahead and LOOK AT THE FUCKING SERVER LIST maybe 50 servers total even run 3rd p off and out of those 75 % are down or have 0 player on them and in that 25% there are a max of 4 people on the servers. IMO, take 3rd p away. its totally batshit unreal.

For the love of God people, do you even bother using the search function before you vomit another one of these threads out?

This has been suggested (rather demanded by first person Call of Duty hard-ons) at least a dozen times, it will be suggested at least a dozen more if you people don't bloody search before you make a new topic about it. It has been posted, repeatedly, that there shouldn't be 3rd person in the game and there have been replies, repeatedly to both sides of the argument.

Some of these redundant topics are getting silly, if you don't like third person (or feel it gives some imaginary advantage to those of us who prefer third person) then join a server that has it disabled. Stop trying to screw up the game for those of us who play from a different perspective, don't knock my gameplay and I won't knock yours.

I could go on for paragraphs at a time how being in first person is unrealistic, unauthentic and completely stupid for a game like this but I already have, repeatedly. Drop the topic and accept that not everybody gets hard in the pants when they play Call of Duty/Battlefield 3/Whatever FPS is out now and popular like you.

Using my rez powers to get this forum going. Im gonna bet 95% of people who commented on this forum no longer play the game. Go ahead and LOOK AT THE FUCKING SERVER LIST maybe 50 servers total even run 3rd p off and out of those 75 % are down or have 0 player on them and in that 25% there are a max of 4 people on the servers. IMO, take 3rd p away. its totally batshit unreal.

Great job, you resurrected a four month old topic? Congratulations!

Don't do that again, or you will be punished.

For the love of God people, do you even bother using the search function before you vomit another one of these threads out?

This has been suggested (rather demanded by first person Call of Duty hard-ons) at least a dozen times, it will be suggested at least a dozen more if you people don't bloody search before you make a new topic about it. It has been posted, repeatedly, that there shouldn't be 3rd person in the game and there have been replies, repeatedly to both sides of the argument.

Some of these redundant topics are getting silly, if you don't like third person (or feel it gives some imaginary advantage to those of us who prefer third person) then join a server that has it disabled. Stop trying to screw up the game for those of us who play from a different perspective, don't knock my gameplay and I won't knock yours.

I could go on for paragraphs at a time how being in first person is unrealistic, unauthentic and completely stupid for a game like this but I already have, repeatedly. Drop the topic and accept that not everybody gets hard in the pants when they play Call of Duty/Battlefield 3/Whatever FPS is out now and popular like you.

For the love of God people, do you even look at the date in which the topic is posted?

DO NOT RESURRECT THREADS THAT ARE MONTHS OLD, FOR SUCH AN INSIGNIFICANT REASON.

LOCKED.