Disgraced

Will familiarity kill this mod?

...yeah, I can.

In both claims you effectively maintain that the fun of the game is from obtaining loot. I mean, fuck, you say 'taking risk' like it's a bad thing.

We do not share the same definition of fun, easy as that.

For me, taking risk is always a bad thing is DayZ. Sure it can be fun, but the fun will soon be destroyed by a bullet reaching your head.

And i'm fucking sick of running one realtime hour to get my shit back.

It was fun the first time i played this mod, but now it's just plain fucking boring, i don't want to play Running Simulator 2012, i don't want to loose my time by pressing the W key like a retard for one hour straight, that's why i'm not taking risk anymore.

Running.

Isn't.

FUn.

...yeah' date=' I can.

In both claims you effectively maintain that the fun of the game is from obtaining loot. I mean, fuck, you say 'taking risk' like it's a bad thing.[/quote']

We do not share the same definition of fun, easy as that.

For me, taking risk is always a bad thing is DayZ. Sure it can be fun, but the fun will soon be destroyed by a bullet reaching your head.

And i'm fucking sick of running one realtime hour to get my shit back.

It was fun the first time i played this mod, but now it's just plain fucking boring, i don't want to play Running Simulator 2012, i don't want to loose my time by pressing the W key like a retard for one hour straight, that's why i'm not taking risk anymore.

That's funny, I thought you and your bro's had heli's.

Why don't they just come airlift you out?

Hmmm....

i don't want to play Running Simulator 2012

Then, my friend, you made a big mistake purchasing a game from the Arma series.

That's funny, I thought you and your bro's had heli's.

Why don't they just come airlift you out?

Hmmm....

Fast conclusions, wrong conclusions etc...

We lost our chopper at a server crash.

Then, my friend, you made a big mistake purchasing a game from the Arma series.

Why ?

Since the day i realized : taking risk = mostly end dead = have to run back up for one hour = repeat indefinitely lololol so fun, i'm not dying anymore. Meaning i'm not running that much anymore, meaning i'm having a bit more fun, well, fun at the exact same military places, but still.

Let's not get too snippy.

I do the 'story in my head' thing a lot. I agree with the poster above who mentioned taking risks to bring enjoyment to the experience.

I wonder what kinds of things could be done in a game like this to keep a strong appeal without losing the vision it sprung from?

Then perhaps you have work to do, you obviously know where everything is at anyways.

Well atleast i know that vehicle spawnplaces are mostly random son.

All i can say is i enjoy both sides.

I enjoy running to the airfield with a mate using NVG's, finding DMR's AKM's etc then going out in our car driving around making a camp to store loot, regroup and planning some more wacky ideas etc.

But the most fun i ever had was starting out and not knowing were i was or what was were etc etc. The feeling of finding a town with other players in it was exciting and scary at the same time, teaming up with people and planning on going to further towns or maybe head north together is what i enjoy the most though.

In the end, ill continue to play this mod and depending on what my situation is, im sure ill find something fun to do always :)

I'm not to worried, because these power players will eventually get burned out running back and forth between spawns and server hoping.

But I do indeed find the most fun playing right after I die and have to find all the gear I want again, even more so when I don't have map and try not to cheat by going online.

I also think everyone sets there own goals.

For me it kinda goes like this.

-Find a primary weapon.

-Move inland.

-Find tools, such as Map, Compass, Hunting Knife, Matches...

-Kill some ZEDs.

-How long can you survive!

I don't think I miss loosing my gear as much as loosing my ZED kill count and days of survival.

We are at that part were we pretty know what to find in certain buildings and locations, i know it wont be realistic but having guns/equipment spawn randomly and not all in the most obvious places( but make it more common there) would improve this game, maybe adding more guns north will cause people to go more inland and not be around elektro or the coast.

Sometimes you have to put game-play over realism to improve the game. I doubt this will happen.

I do not think that familiarity will kill this mod. If you know the good loot spawns then the chances are pretty high others will too. When I started a week ago there was hardly anyone near places like Stary Sobor or Zub, now no matter what Server I log in I can always hear shots in the distance in that area or players trying to get good gear.

The more familiar players get with the map the more dangerous it will become for you to obtain high end gear since more players will try to get it.

@OP: If you dont take any risk in this game you wont get any fun out of it. The goal is not to gain X or Y gear and keep it. It is expected to get used in killing zombies or people. If you dont wanna take anymore risks ,then DayZ is prolly the wrong game for you. The fun in this game is taking risks and winning/loosing.

the first days i played this mod, i had the same view as you. But then some bandits crashed our camp with a jeep, gunned everyone down and stole everything. My group decided its not worth trying to farm and gather loot. It just gets lost anyway. Now were just running around and experiencing players driven stories. Its more fun then ever. Just get rid of your standard playstyle and this mod will enrichen your gamerlife.

there is a reason all the good stuff is north if it was all south everyone will just stay south and have a dm fest... EnD

Instead people are moving north and have a DM fest.

Big fucking change right there.

I find it part of the fun.

Spending hours of travelling and exploring to find yourself some brilliant firearms' date=' tools and other various equipment[/quote']

Let me guess, you're new to DayZ ?

No because you will soon understand that there's no need for " exploration " since the good loot is ALWAYS at the same place.

You will simply lost your time in forests thinking you are " playing the mod the right way ".

I'm newer than you, but I'm far from new to the game it's self. (I've played for 3 weeks). It does take along to time to travel and to acquire new items. Example; I re-spawn near Cherno, I would like to get a spare canteen,two cans of food for travel and a map. I begin by entering Cherno and spend between 20-30 minutes sneaking and looting the fire station,grocery store and various houses. I then have to leave Cherno by sneaking and then make my way up through the dense country-side to the NW-Airfield to acquire new items(M4A3,M16,DMR, etc,NVG'S). I will need to scope out the airfield for at least 10 minutes before I enter, and then I'm going to end up encountering a zombie horde, no matter how experienced I am, which will end in my death or a big show down between me,zombies and possibly bandits. This could take 30 minutes +, depending on my luck and if there are other players at the airfield. Now, Even If I know where certain loot can or cannot re-spawn, it's still a challenge to obtain it, and it's still a challenge to travel and not be spotted by other players that have the same thing in mind. This adds to the element of exploration, because I may see a horde of zombies, or a bandit camp along my travels, which will cause me to fork off into a different direction and perhaps go a way that I have never gone before.

You're correct about loot ALWAYS* spawning in the same place, to a certain extent. Loot does not always spawn in the same place, but loot that's similar can. Going to the airport doesn't mean I'll find NVG's and a an M4A3 every time, I could just as well find a AK74 and a GPS, or a Main rotor assembly and a G17.

Sorry if some things are miss spelled, I'm writing this while chilling in-game.

Was already asked.

And we got the chopper wrecks.

Why not, it's cool, but it's not working.

Maybe cause this isnt even a beta yet? really people... and its not that you seem not to understand the concepts, its that you complain like you had to pay for this

... knew the map "like the back of their hand"...

I think it's fun exploring the map' date=' not finding the good spawn points.

I think that that stuff ruins the game.

[/quote']

My opinion on this sabj, maybe add takistan and everon, nogova, etc.

more islands - different situation!

and since some (like me) had crawled every inch on almost all islands ofp\arma has, yeah we know them. Think of us as natives, while you are tourists.

hope for best for this mod, it has its charm !

Ultimately I feel that the width of the spawn locations, and the possible encounters between them or at them really keeps the game diverse. Familiarity is great to a degree. Rewards for knowledge of the game and the map are manifest in knowing where you can find a ride and repair it. At the moment, the biggest thing that could lead to familiarity killing the game is when all the inmates of Chern and Elektro realise that the NWAF barracks are the ONLY place in the game to get the best loot. As it stands, having the barracks as the only spawn confine much of the "end game" loot content to two sheds within 300 meters of each other.

Of course, a lot more content needs to be added, but I don't quite understand the logic in confining the best gear (m107's, silenced assault rifles, the SAW, NVGs etc) to one single place. I can easily imagine that should this not change, all that will happen is large groups will run between the two buildings endlessly.

I and everybody else have/has a million suggestions to fix the game of musical barracks, and I think it's just a wait until Rocket gets around to redistributing or introducing more spawn locations. I'd really like the spawns to be possible at any military base, but much lower in most locations (0.02%) and more common in a few (3.0%).

Similarly, I'd love a barracks to be placed in the heart of Berezino or some other northern city. The zombie pull would be crazy (military zombies at current strength) but the rewards would be palpable. It would also encourage street to street fighting.

I think I'm going to side here with Mr. Delicious regarding Musical Barracks. Even though the other military loot is already partially scattered (See: Firehouses in Cherno/Electro and the camps in Stary/etc), the absolute best items are confined to two buildings in the same damn area. While it helps that it adds the sense that the NWAF is the "End all-meet all" place, it just makes it too easy for those who are intent on sending themselves for the best gear to just pop in, pop out, hop, repeat. Fixing that and making it far more randomized across the map will promote a bigger deal of exploration, although the NWAF itself will remain a heavy-hit area due to the fact of how many military buildings are there.

In the same notion, we can't just randomize the spawns to every random corner of the map, because "Running Simulator 2012" would be a far more apt terminology if there was NO sense of proper loot areas, and we absolutely had to transverse all over the world to find certain things.

In regards, (Imo) to the talk about people finding little to do once they get good gear, I feel this game should be taken in a Dwarf Fortress mannerism. Sure, I can make a self-sufficient, impenetrable base that absolutely nothing can top in the game, but then what? Sit back and watch Urist McKittenLover make a sculpture of his cat? Heck no, if it reaches that point I purposely tear the wall down during an invasion and see how well my army can take on a horde of Goblins or somesuch. It's "fun" to die, I may hate it, it may mean time lost, but face it, entertainment itself is time lost. The reward is in the experience of trying new things, but I can understand how that doesn't manifest with a good amount of the playerbase.

TL: DR - Change the top military loot from NWAF Barracks only and make it a bit more scattered, that'll add more incentive to look about. But don't scatter the loot everywhere, or people will leave from the running turning from 1h to 6h to find a single item/good piece of loot.

Note - I too await Chopper Wrecks to be fixed. If the cheat sheet is correct, that L85A2 is something I wanted to try out, that or the FN FAL.

For the sake of gameplay they should just randomize ALL the weapon/item spawns. Also there should be a chance that zombies spawn instead of a weapon.

Knowing where everything is defeats the whole point in an open-world survival game. It needs to be un-predictable.

To me, its about comfort. I know of one town that I go to very frequently and I prefer it over any other place, including military spec gear spawns. I know where things spawn inside this town because I feel comfortable there and I can look around. Just me though, I'd prefer to know rumors, but not confirmation of spawn points.

I would like one more group introduced, the family model. generated family groups that you can stay with, protect, etc. Imagine

You have been scouting all day, you come back to the Donaldson's farm, ranch, house knowing that there is food ans shelter waiting, you have been there and enjoyed the radio programs they play at night sitting on the porch. Now if the family dies the location is lost, you would lose shelter, audio-enjoyment, and items you have needed to scout late into the DayZ's nocturnal hours. So you make a choice to defend the family, maybe as long as one member is alive you recieve needed info, location of an item, or perhaps a vehicle location. a family to protect would provide people with more trust perhaps from other survivors, If i saw a survivor in cherno with a group of "civilians" i would trust them more, maybe if you murder another survivor with family in tow you can lose an item of need. something like this

So I wonder what everyone thinks? How would you handle it' date=' from a design perspective?

[/quote']

I think that a "crafting" system of sorts would do wonders for balance and power distribution.

Let me explain what I mean.

Currently, if you want military grade hardware, you go to a military installation. If you go to an airfield, you're pretty much guaranteed to get some good gear, assuming you survive.

I think it should be a lot more distributed. So, for instance, instead of finding an M4, you find an M4 with a damaged bolt assembly. Or a damaged upper receiver. Or a damaged barrel. Whatever. And all these various parts that you need to fix your M4 spawn randomly with the mid-tier loot you find in towns and barns.

Additionally, If you collect all the requisite parts, you can even build one yourself without ever going near a military installation.

That would provide more opportunity to even the power spread amongst players, which I don't see as a bad thing.

There would be limits, of course. You're not going to be assembling a helicopter from parts. But for weapons and certain other equipment, (GPS or NVGs need a new set of batteries to function, for instance) I think it would be very effective.

I dont know about that idea... I mean if you run for a hour or two to get a decent rifle and at the same time risk your life for it.

It doesn't feel very rewarding if you have to find a shitload of stuff to repair it with.

Besides good weapons tend to have very limited ammo anyway.

I think however the coast could be tweaked a bit so there are a bit more random equipment there. For example there seems to be shitload of ammo for Winchester.

Would be nice if it got reduced and more added ammo for colt, remmington, g17, crossbow etc...