Sign in to follow this  
343guiltyspark

thoughts from a brand new player on how to make this more fun for new people

1. players need to start out with some way to damage zombies. I suggest something like a multitool that only has a limited amount of strikes before it degrades and cant be used again. Somthing from 50-100 strikes until its useless. this creates some sort of safetynet for the player and at the same time encourages them to find new equipment as their multitool will soon dissapear.

2. There needs to be some sort of way to curb PVP ganking that is going on. I suggest some zones should be pve only where players cant kill eachother while the rest of the map is pvp anything goes. (should be the spawn locations and some small coastal villages. Big cities need to be pvp though the same with the open wilderness and the rest of the map.

3. There needs to be more lights in the map. Be it random burning fires or cars , or streetlights or something. Woods and other areas should be complete darkness as should some cities.

4. Most of the gear in the game is surrounded by zombies , it would be nice if there were random crates in the enviroment (deep in the forest for example) that have a rifle or something in it that you would stumble upon.

5. there is no chat in the game , i suggest when you first start out in the "begginer zones" that you have full text and voice chat. And when you leave those areas the current chat system takes over (40m voice chat ect.)

Seems legit.... Except for the PvP and PvE crap, that is great the way it is. I don't like the idea of zones that can and can't be PvP, or chatting.

1. That is half of the challenge of trying to find a weapon, and if you had just swam or passed out and drifted for god-knows-how-long then I don't think that you would have much on you.

2. I agreed that pvp can be annoying for newly spawned players, as I have been killed numerous times after I had just spawned (Drift0r has a wonderous example as was on the Dayzdev twitter:

) but I don't think that a PvE area would necessarily be the answer. some other way to curb this might be in order like consequences for killing a player without a weapon on them. (Yes, I know this is the humanity system, but it is broken atm)

3.Seems like a great idea so long as it does not kill my framerate.

4.That might mess up the risk v. reward concept that you need to risk life and limb just to get a decent gun most of the time. Also, deerstands seem to be similar to what you are talking about.

5. Pls no beginnner zones, because is there a beginner zone in the zombie apocolypse?

Seems legit.... Except for the PvP and PvE crap, that is great the way it is. I don't like the idea of zones that can and can't be PvP, or chatting.

normally i would agree with you because the idea that you can be killed by anyone is kind of cool. When you first start your game and you get shot in the face by some random guy doesnt exactly add to the experiance. It would later in the game when you have established your own squad in the beginner zone and head out into the wilderness and encounter other guys.

but right now there is literally no reason not to kill people on sight , its lame and makes me not really want to play if i have to spend 20 minutes getting BASIC shit only to get shot in the face by the first person i come across.

Its even worse that after that happened i decided i would kill anybody i saw.

Edited by guiltyspark

There can be zones ( fortifications ) like in Stalker where you aren't allowed to discharge a gun, if you try you are killed by the guards.

There can be zones ( fortifications ) like in Stalker where you aren't allowed to discharge a gun, if you try you are killed by the guards.

I think it might be a good idea not to have this for the sake of realism haha.

Edited by Avis Nocturnae

sort of but not really. More like the very first part of the game you are not allowed to kill other players , and chat is open so you can quickly build up a small buddy team and THEN head out into the unknown where anything goes.

then people would stand right outside that zone and shoot at people running closer to it in belief they cannot be shot/shoot them. Lol, guards... its post apocalypse my friend, there is no society to spare guards for anywhere, there is only survivors and Zeds

1. That is half of the challenge of trying to find a weapon, and if you had just swam or passed out and drifted for god-knows-how-long then I don't think that you would have much on you.

2. I agreed that pvp can be annoying for newly spawned players, as I have been killed numerous times after I had just spawned (Drift0r has a wonderous example as was on the Dayzdev twitter:

) but I don't think that a PvE area would necessarily be the answer. some other way to curb this might be in order like consequences for killing a player without a weapon on them. (Yes, I know this is the humanity system, but it is broken atm)

3.Seems like a great idea so long as it does not kill my framerate.

4.That might mess up the risk v. reward concept that you need to risk life and limb just to get a decent gun most of the time. Also, deerstands seem to be similar to what you are talking about.

5. Pls no beginnner zones, because is there a beginner zone in the zombie apocolypse?

Are there trees with unlimited firewood in a zombie apocalypse? Are there guns, food, drinks, tents, etc. etc. that spawn in a zombie apocalypse? Do zombies run 100 miles an hour in a zombie apocalypse...? Honestly idk I haven't been through one. Can you light a garbage can on fire without matches, or an alternative heat source? Can you .... >.> Should I go on?

I do like the realism of this game and that's why I got it, but those people who think this portrays a zombie apocalypse to the fine tooth, to say the least make me laugh.

And to your beginner zones not being in a zombie apocalypse how do you know? -.- anything is possible in which what has not happened.

Anything is possible in a zombie apocalypse because for each person in the world it will be different. Someone might have guns and everything all set out ready to bust some zombies... So why don't we start with a gun? Many people have guns. Someone might start off in the Middle of New York with nothing but his clothes.... So why do we start with a flashlight?

Honestly this kind of thinking is flawed IMO. Maybe I am just making ramblings of a madman >.>

I like how this mod is going and I like how you don't start of with a gun, and I like where Rocket is going, I just don't like where some people on the forums are trying to push him. Will this end up like Diablo 3? Idk.

Edited by LT.Sacred

Honestly, If you are killed, that is a learning experience.

When you die, there is someone behind that bullet. The person behind that bullet needs one of two things.

Your gear, or Kills.

The "Endgame", as of right now, is to use one of your 8972465 weapons you have stashed, and go to cherno/electro and fuck people up. Because that's fun! That's what happens.

As a new player, you will not be coddled. This is not a game. This is a test. Survive.

• Like 4

^ Lol'd. I love your mindset. <,<

Honestly I disagree with every statement but one you made there... endgame for me is going north and killing as much bandits as possible before being killed myself. (but this is different for everyone, so I can't totally disagree)

I will always help new players, even if it means me getting shot. (I don't care, I can always get more gear, and again this is different from player to player, so I can't totally disagree)

Also it's not that people want gear or kills, they just don't want to be killed themselves. There's a paranoia in this game ^^ and I love it.

only thing I agree with is "Honestly, if you are killed, that is a learning experience." That is true ^^

Why do newly spawned players go straight for the big towns on the coast? It's an instant death sentence. Just like in that 13 sec video...lol what did he expect?

Handy hint: When you spawn, move inland 2- 4km and loot Farm yards....

Edited by SeanOfTheDead

1. players need to start out with some way to damage zombies. I suggest something like a multitool that only has a limited amount of strikes before it degrades and cant be used again. Somthing from 50-100 strikes until its useless. this creates some sort of safetynet for the player and at the same time encourages them to find new equipment as their multitool will soon dissapear.

Just like in real life if Z-day occured, you're very unlikely to have a weapon readily available. Also, not having a weapon prevents new players from griefing each other, and also prevents players from constantly spawning new players and zerging another player who has made a stronghold and slowly whittling down their life with their newbie weapon.

2. There needs to be some sort of way to curb PVP ganking that is going on. I suggest some zones should be pve only where players cant kill eachother while the rest of the map is pvp anything goes. (should be the spawn locations and some small coastal villages. Big cities need to be pvp though the same with the open wilderness and the rest of the map.

No no no no no. No "gamey" solutions, if you want to suggest an idea, there needs to be an in-game and realistic (preferably player-driven) system behind it. No "You can't shoot other players in this area because we said so, even if you could easily do it in real life".

3. There needs to be more lights in the map. Be it random burning fires or cars , or streetlights or something. Woods and other areas should be complete darkness as should some cities.

Burning fires would go out eventually, streetlights would have a hard time staying out with no power structure because everyone that maintained it is now a Zed. I do think it's a bit dark, I can see very very well in the dark outside, even on overcast nights. I wouldn't be opposed to a slight lightening at night, but very slight, unless it's a moonlight and starry cloudless sky, in which case it should actually be fairly easy to see at night.

4. Most of the gear in the game is surrounded by zombies , it would be nice if there were random crates in the enviroment (deep in the forest for example) that have a rifle or something in it that you would stumble upon.

Who put those crates there and why are they out there? Want to find something in the wilderness, stumble upon a deer stand, or a player hidden vehicle or tent (it does happen) and take the stuff out of it, there are also barns or other buildings scattered throughout near the wilderness. And most gear is NOT surrounded by zombies, just learn to crouch or prone walk when you have to. Zombies are silly easy to avoid if you're patient and willing to be stealthy. Sprinting into town and into a building to look for stuff wouldn't really work in a zombie infested area IRL, why should it in game?

5. there is no chat in the game , i suggest when you first start out in the "begginer zones" that you have full text and voice chat. And when you leave those areas the current chat system takes over (40m voice chat ect.)

The only way large area in game chat should ever exist is if walkies were put in game, and even then there should be a certain range, and a battery life. Again, in game chat is a "gamey" system that makes no sense to be there without an in-game reasoning, otherwise it shatters the hardcore realism of DayZ, which is what led people to the game.

My opinion on this is quite simple : difficulty, unpredictability, human encounters and having to survive an unforgiving world is what makes this game fun. So making it easier would break everything for me. Look for guides online if you have real problems with the game.

Why do newly spawned players go straight for the big towns on the coast? It's an instant death sentence. Just like in that 13 sec video...lol what did he expect?

There are a few reasons why people head to the big costal towns. I generally try to spawn as close to Chernogrosk and Elektrozavodsk because of the fact that I can get at least an ALICE pack, a decent gun(s) and some toolbelt items. This is all enhanced by the fact that when I spawn I have the "who the fuck cares if I die, I've got nothing on me". It's fucking near impossible to get to some of the more inland towns (i.e. Stary|Novy Sobor) without at least a compass and some of other basic provisions. I know how to deal with the zombies in those towns, and on the off chance that a player sees me, I am either going to run the fuck away, shoot, or just part on neutral terms. What drift0r did wrong in that video was crawl to the fire station. If zombies are there, give them the slip and try again.

1. It was done before, the situation is much better now, trust me.

2. No, really, just no. This is not a game about PvE it's a game where you are FORCED to deal with other players, this is not an option and it's one of the things that make DayZ different from other more "mainstream" games.

3. Streetlights require power, i don't think the Electrozavodsk power station has anyone left to operate it.

4. It's already the case, look harder.

5. There is a chat, simply not a global one.

Spawn at night and crouch ... Do not behave like a moth and go towards lights. If you hear flies buzzing near a loot area, do a 180 ...

2. No, really, just no. This is not a game about PvE it's a game where you are FORCED to deal with other players, this is not an option and it's one of the things that make DayZ different from other more "mainstream" games.

Now I would have said it's exactly the opposite. That's why people complain. Bandit and new spawners can try to avoid contact. Most other FPS games including ARMA want you to engage other players. Here you have a choice. That is what people are upset about/ Realising that the amount of arseholes on this planet is higher than anticipated and that your only choice to survive as a lone wolf is to turn into a psychopath yourself. You don't have to grief but discussing with anyone with a gun makes you weak.

Equally in real life, people that attack you verbally or by bullying are put into the driving seat. This game teaches you also why communism doesn't work. Anyone that breaks the contract of cooperation is automatically put into control. Real life coop works by sanctions, laws, without laws and sanctions this would be the true state of humanity.

1. It was done before, the situation is much better now, trust me.

3. Streetlights require power, i don't think the Electrozavodsk power station has anyone left to operate it.

4. It's already the case, look harder.

5. There is a chat, simply not a global one.

Who made you the person who says what this game is about? and there would be no "loot spots" in these areas.

umm... deerstands don't count...

Umm... what game doesn't have a chat? -.-

I'm all for realistic qualities but I doubt this game portrays a real zombie apocalypse. And those who act all macho and say it's unreal if you add this... if you would think about it there would be some people who would try and fortify a safe haven somewhere, and if you don't see this than that is truly sad...

Read my earlier post... I don't want to go into a rant again.

That's the idea. If you spawned with a way to kill zombies, it would encourage an "I'm supposed to kill zombies" mindset. The goal of the game is just survival, so by spawning with nothing, it gives the "Being able to kill is a luxury" mindset. By forcing you to play without weapons before you find them, it teaches you to sneak around zombies, and only kill then when you really need to.
There will never be PvE zones, nor PvE servers. PvP is a big part of what Day Z is about. Rocket himself (the creator of the mod) has stated that having to worry about other players is the biggest part of what puts any tension in this game, since zombie AI will be able to be worked around (no matter how perfect it might get).

1st one... maybe some blunt axe? lol meh.

2nd one... one of the worst ideas I´ve seen.

3rd one... not good, it doesn´t sound realistic that there is always something on fire. if you don´t like night, then don´t play at night.

4th one... just go find some random bandit/survivor tents/camps that other players set up, sometimes you can find akm´s in those. though those can sometimes be guarded if other players are online.

5th one... there is local chat in game, which you can use if you and your buddy are close enough to each other, like yelling distance. Side channel still works on some servers, but it´s being removed from the game. Good thing, everyone were anyways just using it to ask "who´s shooting at x are?!?" or asking if someone would like to group up, reality being that they´ll shoot you immediately when they see you.

Edited by Eza

protip for losing zombies without a weapon.... run. in a front door and out the back , job done.

It is the responsibility of the player to survive in an apocalypse not the devs to try and make it easy for you. If you have trouble with bandits , join a group. If you can't find a weapon , you are blind. There's hundreds of solutions to the "noob" problems but there's too much of a lazy gamer philosophy holding them back.

Who made you the person who says what this game is about? and there would be no "loot spots" in these areas.

umm... deerstands don't count...

Umm... what game doesn't have a chat? -.-

I'm all for realistic qualities but I doubt this game portrays a real zombie apocalypse. And those who act all macho and say it's unreal if you add this... if you would think about it there would be some people who would try and fortify a safe haven somewhere, and if you don't see this than that is truly sad...

Read my earlier post... I don't want to go into a rant again.

Because i read what the mod creator has to say about his baby before posting a suggestion.

• Like 1

the only one i think is even worthy of a reply is 2, and it's not that I am against PvP I like it what I am against is the use of team-speak instead of in game chat. I people are coordinating positions around you getting ready to gank you you would here them talking and get ready to fight back. but there are several flaws with PvP exploits like this, de spawning when hit then spawning back in 1 minuet later to catch the guy that should have killed you out needs to be looked into.