Harris (DayZ)

DayZ should become a stand alone game using a different engine.

The best engine for DayZ is for sure not UE3,CryE3,or the Engine from Arma 3 you know why ? Just because the best engine would be an engine only developed for DayZ. Wow thats surprising... not! The real question is who is going to develop a new engine or even better who is paying for developing a new engine you? I doubt that. Arma 2's engine offers to Rocket nearly exactly what he needs that means he is already close to the target and Arma 3's engine will be even better and so bring Rocket even closer to the target that means the main developing will be done by BI and they pay the money for developing such engines. Rocket will take what he is given because he won't be able to do the main developing on his own or with the few developers he has with him. The way from any engine to the possibilities of Arma's engines is just way too long. And finally he is employeed at BI and just moved to there headquarter so if you will ever see a different engine DayZ is running on then the Real Virtuality 3 engine of Arma 2 then it will be the Real Virtuality Engine 4.

Like I have said before ArmA is a failing series and why would you want to linger in such failure when creating a brand new game. I can tell you right now that a lot of people do not like the graphics or the performance of ArmA which comes directly from its engine. CryEngine 3 has everything DayZ would need and more and what it does not have can be added. DayZ could be one hell of a game without the failure of ArmA on its shoulder all the time.

Like I have said before ArmA is a failing series and why would you want to linger in such failure when creating a brand new game. I can tell you right now that a lot of people do not like the graphics or the performance of ArmA which comes directly from its engine. CryEngine 3 has everything DayZ would need and more and what it does not have can be added. DayZ could be one hell of a game without the failure of ArmA on its shoulder all the time.

You haven't a clue what you are talking about. And ARMA is NOT a failing series by any stretch. Stick to FPS on rails please.

• Like 1

You guys are dreaming, DayZ won't be on UE3 nor CE3. Although ArcheAge is the best example that DayZ can fit nicely in CE3.

My own guess, DayZ as standalone will use a modified ArmA 3 engine, especially tuned/tweaked for the game if needed.

even with all the bugs, i love the arma engine. no other fps out there does what it does. i'm really not sure any other engine could produce the same experience dayz provides. i sure as hell don't want the map divided up into instances in order to reproduce something the size of chernarus.

considering that dayz has upped the sales of arma2 1000%, kept it on the steam top seller charts for weeks, i'm not sure how you could call it a failing series.

• Like 1

Care to explain how Arma is a failing game? Yes it is a niche game, but despite that it is still successful. It has delivered a massive scope of possible game play since 2001 and is now approaching its 4th iteration, not counting stand alone expansions, eg Op Arrowhead. Arma 3 was announced long before DayZ. So please do elaborate how a game series that has survived for 10 years with regular patches and additions, despite being a niche game, is a "failing series".

• Like 1

arma 2 engine ( i actually dont even know the name of it) is one of the most advanced in fps field. FB 2 which bf3 uses is too casual and unrealistic for dayz.

You are probably another butthurt cod player who spends most of his time in cherno/elektro and has an average life if 15 minutes

Also children, do not forget the arma series is a military SIMULATOR designed to be used as a training tool for soldiers rather than a game where kids 360 no scope.

Edited by v1ktor

Fixing an entirely broken game is going to be easier than making one with a new engine that not only performs better but has better quality. Real Virtuality Engine 3 is not a good engine they could so much better. I am just saying why use something that failed for your game. If they wanted to be able to make the game better make it look amazing and change the mechanics to fit with a game like this they should not use ArmA's engine. I know it would take a while and I know it would be work it is just an idea because why in gods name would you follow a failing series while making a stand alone game instead of making it your own.

Well rocket has a clear advantage in using the ArmA2 engine for Dayz, in that he probably knows it like his girlfriend's panties :D

And with all the fixing coming from BIS for the current engine and the improved engine for ArmA3 i'm confident we are going to see something fantastic.

It is a failing series the only reason people have bought or even heard of ArmA is because DayZ. Most people don't like ArmA at all and just get it for DayZ. Yes I know it will most likely be on Arma 3's engine, but I was just talking about what it would be better on.

arma 2 engine ( i actually dont even know the name of it) is one of the most advanced in fps field. FB 2 which bf3 uses is too casual and unrealistic for dayz.

You are probably another butthurt cod player who spends most of his time in cherno/elektro and has an average life if 15 minutes

Also children, do not forget the arma series is a military SIMULATOR designed to be used as a training tool for soldiers rather than a game where kids 360 no scope.

Actually no I cannot stand call of duty. I've made it across the entire map. Survived NW airfield 5 times. Had a car full of weapons. Had a m249, fn fal, fn fal night vision, etc. We are not talking about how easy or hard the game engine is we are talking about what would best benefit the idea of the game. So before you open your ignorant little mouth of yours why don't you actually read the topic and think a little before saying anything.

• Like 1

I think if the Cry3 engine was used it would need a LOT of optimizing to be run on a scale like DayZ, however it would look spectacular and would probably allow for a ton of new features.

At the end of the day, I don't see DayZ using another companies engine as the cost of licencing is probably going to be more than they are willing to pay. And they already have the ArmA3 engine that they own rights to, so very little overhead is needed to develop it with ArmA3.

Average licencing cost from what bit of research I have done is nearly 4million USD.

I don't think another engine that does huge 200km2+ worlds and realistic balistics exists.

edit: @meta they don't own the rights to arma3, because they are not BIS.

Edited by Hawc

It is a failing series the only reason people have bought or even heard of ArmA is because DayZ. Most people don't like ArmA at all and just get it for DayZ. Yes I know it will most likely be on Arma 3's engine, but I was just talking about what it would be better on.

in order for a business to fail or be failing, it has to run out of resources due to releasing a product that no one is purchasing. i'm guessing BI is seeing record revenues right now and could probably even expand its team as a result of the increase in sales. if you want to say the engine is failing, it would have to see an ever diminishing player base, which also is not the case. i'm really not sure how you could look at any of the numbers for arma 2 sales or players right now and conclude that it's a failed project, even if it's all due to one mod for the engine.

To be honest, Roket keeps saying he hopes it will be a stand alone game.. even now? Surly he has had that conversation witht he bosses and knows by now?

I get the impression we should should just enjoy this game as a Mod, not an alpha/beta for an actual game.

This is a great mod that I enjoy playing and will continue to. But thats all it is and that should be enough.

Then when Arma3 is out, and it is ported over to that, then it will be a great Mod on that.

I like all the craziness, it adds to it. Its frustrating as hell getting into a good game, but that makes it all the better once you are in it.

I think if the Cry3 engine was used it would need a LOT of optimizing to be run on a scale like DayZ, however it would look spectacular and would probably allow for a ton of new features.

The reason CryEngine and UnrealEngine etc. look so good is because they don't use massive scale maps. If they did, then the quality of graphics and other things would suffer. There's a reason ArmA doesn't look like Crysis and why Crysis doesn't have huge maps like ArmA and this is it.

• Like 2

LOL at the people suggesting the Cryengine or Unreal engine. The stand alone DAYZ game is aiming to be bigger then the current game (as far as I know) and have far far more enterable buildings. The Cryengine can do large environmonts, but not the size ARMA 2, or 3's engine can. And the UNREAL engine would not support such large maps either, MMO's are one thing, they are divided into zones (sometimes by load screan, often times by bottle neck entrances) and they also lack the dense vegitation of ARMA 2.

That would also likly be an issue with the CRY engine, massive maps with dense vegataion spread over many KM's with no laid screens and massive view distances. Add in town/cities with enterable buildings and I don't think they Cryengine could deal with it.

Also ARMA comes with the realistic mil sim mechanics and weapons/vehicles. If they did not use ARMA all that content would have to be created. I was not overly impresed by ARMA 2's engine at first though I admired the size of the game world, but after playing Dayz for a few months now I have come to appreciate the beuty of the game world and the real life weather and day/night cycles, as well as just how vast a game world it really is.

My hope is the stand-alone Dayz will use the ARMA 3 engine, and besides I think ARMA is deserving of a bit of love.

• Like 2

With Unreal engine it will be impossible to have a map the size of Cherno without having loading screens while you are moving. Arma2 engine is bad, but it's the only engine a map that big could run out without said loading screens. It will run on the ArmA 3 engine.

not true, tera for example has a world that makes cherno look tiny and you can run through every bit of it without a loading screen.

i think APB had a pretty big world but i cant honestly remember the size of it in scale to cherno, the desert of global agenda was certainly close in size though. oh hell with all that, i just want mirror's edge physics! let me climb that tree and show you a real sniper spot ;)

I am going to have to say CryEngine as well. I am sure they could get licensing with this mod being so popular.

I mean even the fact of better loading, more worlds, and some of the other stuff I said above I would pay for this game (again......).

i think cry engine would be amazing, but i'd hate to see rocket have to start from scratch to get things ported to that engine. CE3 looks sick as hell.

edit: surprised i didnt see anyone mention the frostbite2 engine (BF3) - not that im recommending it (as much fun as cutting down EVERY building with a hatchet may be)

Edited by Izzy

Anyone who believes BI would fund rocket to use any engine but their own (probably arma 3, if that game is ever released) is dreaming.

In my dreams, i dream about DayZ running on the Creation Engine, with havok and all the good stuff.

Sadly it's never gonna happen due to the strict single-player design. But it would be nice.

So because YOU had not heard of ARMA that must mean NOONE has? What a retard. Probably a console gamer.

So because YOU had not heard of ARMA that must mean NOONE has? What a retard. Probably a console gamer.

the very first time i heard of ArmA was arma2, and the first thing i heard about it was "LOL look at how stupidly hackable this game is, people are spawning planes on peoples heads!"

kinda makes me shun it.

Check out a game called Planet Explorers, I think that kind of engine could work. Large open world, decent graphics, and construction.

Edited by randir14

Actually no I cannot stand call of duty. I've made it across the entire map. Survived NW airfield 5 times. Had a car full of weapons. Had a m249, fn fal, fn fal night vision, etc. We are not talking about how easy or hard the game engine is we are talking about what would best benefit the idea of the game. So before you open your ignorant little mouth of yours why don't you actually read the topic and think a little before saying anything.

You are both incredibly rude and astoundingly ignorant.

• Like 2

You are both incredibly rude and astoundingly ignorant.

His comment was incredibly rude and ignorant and he was put in his place.