Itchy (DayZ)

Sniper problem solved!! I think?

It would seem like a lot of coding for a small benefit, but what if you co do that to cows/goats/chickens too? Rustle them up, and take them back to your fortified base (like the fortifications they say are coming in future updates).

If you had morethan one animal, maybe after a week (cause I'm not waiting a year in game, protecting a couple dumb cows, just to get a third cow old enough to eat), another of the same animal spawns when the server starts.

Also, Zeds should be killing animals that are in-town (chickens) or close to buildings.

I can almost picture it in my head, DayZ Farmvill edition.

How about movable cover like car doors? I mean sure it would be more noticeable but now they have to get a better angle on you.

Edited by Orthus

I can almost picture it in my head, DayZ Farmvill edition.

Oh, god no. forget I said anything. I was just thinking that once we have fortifications, having a good food supply would be nice too. However, raiding a fortification to steal/destroy a group's livestock would be a cool thing to see.

I wonder how many cows you could take out with some HE grenades?

Or you could just listen to where the sniper is, flank him and blow his brains out. Works for me!

I rather enjoy gathering a horde and running in his general direction.

They're already thinking of adding dogs, maybe they can serve as kind of a radar. With their better hearing they can point to where the shot came from. That is assuming the sniper doesn't kill the dog first.

I've always understood that dogs and their handlers are fairly high priority targets to real snipers anyway... along with officers & comms. operators.

Rolling around ideas?

"Ok so we're making a new teapot? Any ideas?"

"Make it out of chocolate."

"Nope that wouldn't be a suitable material. It would melt and is too fragile. Next idea."

Same concept with your idea. It wouldn't be suitable as A: It wouldn't go with the realism theme B: You could simply attract the zed and run towards roughly where you think the shot was coming from.

Next idea. :)

Edited by Sticker704

I'm going to shove my DMR up this dude's ass and blow his brains out. End of story.

Or you could just listen to where the sniper is, flank him and blow his brains out. Works for me!

Except snipers don't miss, because this is a game. If this were real life then they have a pretty decent chance of missing, but in a video game they don't.

No.

In real life in a zombie apocalypse, no-one is going to wander around with a zombie like their dog-bitch leashed up ready to release at any instant. It's this same reason I'm a bit apprehensive about The Walking Dead Season 3, seeing as there was some crazy black woman with 2 zombies leashed to her... it went from being 'realistic' to just 'stupid' if she becomes a main part of it - hope she dies in episode one.

Hi, perhaps you should look into the source material of the show.

Either way, enjoy being let down.

I don't know why all you guys are bitching about snipers, I've sat with my Dmr in the NW and Stary and saw no one. If your all getting sniped on the coast then it's your fault.

I don't know why all you guys are bitching about snipers, I've sat with my Dmr in the NW and Stary and saw no one. If your all getting sniped on the coast then it's your fault.

Agreed. I fucking hate snipers, so I hunt them down and kill them whenever I get the chance. It's much more satisfying than bitching.

Edited by Fraggle

get a sound card that handles directional audio better and/or learn positioning to figure out where the guy is based on where you were standing and where the bullet struck.

Also the delay between the time the impact is heard and the report of the rifle can give you a vague sense of distance too.

ALPHA WE TESTERS HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:(

Not even that, we are PRE-Alpha actually.

Sniper and problem are in the same sentence far too often, same thing with "camping" and "problem".

Nothing wrong with either of them.

You are completely right, Terrorists in the Middle East don't complain about a Sniper problem. That's what being a sniper is about, camping and KILLING the person you are aiming at. My only issue with the snipers in DayZ is that they don't even take your stuff. They just kill for kicks. I'd say, if you are going to blow my brains out, then please eat the beans so they don't spoil..

Except snipers don't miss, because this is a game. If this were real life then they have a pretty decent chance of missing, but in a video game they don't.

Unless they were a trained sniper in the military. They actually have teams of 2, 1 Spotter, and 1 Sniper. The Spotter gives range, wind velocity, etc., while the sniper has to judge the bullet drop and curve. Snipers don't miss...

How about movable cover like car doors? I mean sure it would be more noticeable but now they have to get a better angle on you.

Hello there

Unlike in films, car doors are awful at providing any real cover.

An interesting idea, but not really in the spirit of the game. Actually, it's got zombies in so there goes my argument :)

Still, car doors would be very difficult to maneuver whilst holding a main weapon. (don't anyone show me pics of the ww2 Russian armoured shield ,its not a car door :) )

At OP's post, um a leash is a bit floppy and wouldn't stop the Zed from chewing you. Still, keep the ideas coming.

Rgds

LoK

Unlike in films, car doors are awful at providing any real cover.

Still, car doors would be very difficult to maneuver whilst holding a main weapon. (don't anyone show me pics of the ww2 Russian armoured shield ,its not a car door :) )

You ain't kidding. Concealment yes. Cover. No. Hollywood has a lot to answer for.

If you want cover, you'd better be hiding behind an engine block! Try moving one of them about on the battlefield without the engine running! :huh:

I want zombie brothels up in devils castle, all restrained and gimped up ready to service the destitute of dayz! :D

I have many ideas!!! ;)

Yeah, like someone depraved enough to start a zombie brothel will stop at zombies as sex prisoners.

I want DayZ to be many things, but recreating scenes from Deliverance or The Bunny Game is not one of them.

Although removing the 'respawn' button and being able to have captured prisoners who can't switch servers somehow once placed in the prison may have merit. It would create a virtuous goal for non-bandit survivors to free imprisoned players. But oh, man, the wailing and screaming of 'I bought ArmA 2 and all I got was a prison cell' might not make it worth it.

DayZ: Jailbreak

tl;dr for replies but... your face when you get sniped, start bleeding out unconscious and your zombie pet eats you alive. Then get's sniped and you're looted. I can't wait.

Regarding penetration -

Just do some youtube searches for 7.62 penetration test or 5.56 vs 7.62 and you can see what kind of penetration these assault round have. I didn't include larger rounds, because well, if you can carry it, odds are that round is going through it.

The idea of making old-style kite shields out of layered scrap metal does have merit if the metal is thicker than 3/8", as they might give even a AK a problem for a short while if we're talking about non-armor piercing rounds, and would offer decent protection against most smaller rounds.

But the weight, size and mobility is the real problem. Too small and they'll go for your legs. To large and you wont be moving fast, if at all. ArmA II could handle the programming necessary, but do you really want to replace your primary with a shield, and only be able to slowly walk?

Maybe in a group, with 3 or 4 shield guys offering protection to 3 or 4 other guys, but is it worth it to add it to the game?