Sign in to follow this  
suffix

Homemade head tracking device for 50 cents

What to do, to play DayZ like on video for 50 cents:

I would like to introduce my ecperience of homemade head tracking device (TrackIR analog).

1) You should have WEB-camera or Wii Remote device (Wii Remote is better, it is almost identical to TrackIR inside, better fps and light filtering). It is recommended that camera should have resolution 640х480х30 fps or more.

2) Put the red glass to the WEB-camera (skip this step for Wii Remote). This glass will filter all light except infrared to track your movements better. You should try to use photo-film or sun glasses. I have used red glass from military flashlight. ATTANTION! Some WEB-cameras have build-in filters which do not pass infrared light. You should remove them from camera or do not buy camera with them. I do not know how to be shure that camera have or have not this filter.

post-41549-0-34031800-1342253177_thumb.j

3) Make this strange construction:

a) Take 3 infrared diodes 840nm with maximum angle (I have used 40 grad, do not found more). The price of 3 diodes is 0,50 USD.

B) Take 30 cm of twisted pair.

c) Solder 3 diodes to 3 peices of twisted pair in series (coherently) and put them on battary or to USB cable 1 and 4 pins.

d) Put this construction on the hat like on picture:.

post-41549-0-90002200-1342253180_thumb.jpost-41549-0-08710200-1342253186_thumb.jpost-41549-0-78114500-1342253190_thumb.j

4) Install FreeTrack http://www.free-track.net/english/

5) Turn on the power to diodes.

6) Run programm, press start button

7) Start game, have fun...

You will have ability to use all 6 axes in games with TrackIR support, such as ArmA 2, Microsoft FSX, FS2004 and other.

NOTICE! Some WEB-camera drivers have option "Enlightenment ", to make picture lighter in darkness. It should be turned off because it make fps lower! Diodes will be good seen without this option

• Like 1

Why not just hold down the ALT key?

Because holding ALT you make you hand busy. But with this device you can use your hands for other more usefull things.

By the way - you can bend left/righr proportionaly. You can not do this by keyboard.

Edited by SuffiXUA

Why not just hold down the ALT key?

Because this is way cooler.

My friend's brother has made something similar, also mounted on a cap. It's not very practical for running around normally, but it really shines in a Helicopter.

Must try this out. I always thought it was a little odd killing things with a gun that was basically strapped to my head. Just wish there was a way to get it working with most fps games.

just use alt...because you know....turning your head sideways while trying to look at your screen is just as useful.

also bind free look to a mouse button like i did....

Edited by Hashisx

I can't believe there's so many people who actually spent $150 on one of these.

Has anyone given FaceTrackNoIR a go? It's like this but it uses a normal webcam to track your head as opposed to the IR webcam/LED set up. It's probably not as responsive as using an LED set up but I'd rather not wear a hat indoors in the middle of the summer - also it looks weird..

vid of it in action. shame my webcam shitted out on me otherwise I'd try it for myself.

Fixed ArmA config for Face Track in attachment.

Works perfectly!!! Fill the difference!

You can try to lower dead zones to 3 degrees.

ArmA.zip

Edited by SuffiXUA

i like the idea, its really cool for immersion etc. but turning my head away from the screen to look around seems like it wouldnt work... how can you see the screen if you turn your head away, that or even if you have the sensitivity up, wouldnt it still be kind of a pain in the arse?

You just look on the screen and turn your had alot. There is a proportion between your moves and your character moves.