rocket

Bandit/Survivor Morphing to be removed

Well goodie, now you can safely play like a bandit and kill everyone you see since it doesn't come with any risk at all whereas earlier you were marked by it. Now you always have that clean slate even after mass murder. Finding other Survivors was always unnerving but now? Kill on sight, chances are they are a bandit or think alike when they see me. I have 7k humanity and this change might invoke the inner bandit in me, why the hell shouldn't I shoot that fellow in the distant, he might have been playing like I did but why take the risk when I could just kill him without any consequences what so ever.

I do not see this working out at all and unless you like free for all deathmatch with a bunch of zombies thrown in where every player encounter is as emotion provoking as in any other generic FPS, then there is definitely something wrong with this mod.

Bad move, really. This should not have been changed until you figured out an alternative for the humanity system and yes by that I mean that the old one was still flawed.

Hey rocket, this is your barbeque, and it tastes good, do with it what you will because we're only here for the zombie burgers.

Anyway, my only concern is with taking out this morality system without a new one to take its place. The fact is, that with this change there will be little repercussion for shooting someone on sight. At least before people thought, "damn I don't want to become a bandit and be chastised by everyone." Now, what does it matter?

Perhaps there's another way to implement a slight visual cue as to someones previous behavior? Something like there literally being blood on a player models hands and/or clothes? Probably not easy to do at all but I figured it wouldn't hurt to add another suggestion to the thousands you get and have to weed through every day.

XD Thanks for the laugh

By the way I love the new finding skins system, I hate getting a bandit skin for defending myself.

90% of everyone does this already. Partner up with irl friends' date=' never trust randoms. This changes nothing besides removing a very, very broken mechanic that was causing a lot of bugs.

[/quote']

This will make those stories more intense. Being able to trust someone won't be based on a skin' date=' it will be based on what you would have in real life. Their word. Just because you are scared of the big bad bandits doesn't mean that you need to write a page about how this destroys the game. This makes the game into what it was meant to be, a truly sandbox game, where you had no idea what was around the next corner, or if that person looking at you on the next hill is going to shoot you, or shout out for help.

And as I said in another post. The current system doesn't even really work, because it's extremely easy to game the humanity system. Just get a buddy, shoot him, and transfuse him, boom humanity. This will allow players to decide whether they want to display their intentions (selectable bandit skins or whatever).

[/quote']

You guys are dead wrong. You already cannot trust other survivors just because of their skin. Sure, a bandit skin told me "DO NOT TRUST", but a Survivor skin never told me "HES TRUSTWORTHY", it was just someone I had to be cautious around. Now, everyone will assume everyone else is a bandit and kill them on sight. I will never be able to interact with another survivor that I do not know, because they will kill me before I get within direct-chat range of them.

The fact of the matter is, it's a lot easier to kill someone and take his shit than it is to work your way past dozens of zombies that aggro on you and follow you forever, run around with glitchy super speed pathing, clip through walls, and respawn on top of you.

A bandit tried to kill my friend, I killed him. I got more loot off of that bandit than I have got from three expeditions into towns and such (as they often don't go so well lately).

This basically tells me that I can kill whoever I want with no penalty for the foreseeable future. You guys were upset about the black and white humanity system? Does it get anymore black and white than "kill anyone I don't know personally" ?

Fuck the bandit system indeed.

In real life people wouldnt be wearing a sign that says 'im not friendly and will most likely kill you' you need that question of' date=' 'can I trust this guy?' and while one is wearing a bandit skin... Well the point is you can't trust any one regardless but sometimes I like to play friendly but can't due to my skin being a bandit =[

And plus it would be more fun (to me) to pull off some espionage shit while in a group and just be like fuck it, I can survive on my own *bang bang*

Fix zombie zig zag thanks!

[/quote']

Real life isn't a video game. It's not a 3d model squirting red sprites in a cartoony fashion. If you shoot someone in the face, it's a hell of a lot more devastating. As tough as people on here act, it's going to turn your stomach. Hearing someone's voice, seeing their actual face (and not one selectable skin out of 25) it makes the decision tougher for the majority of humans, barring extreme training or psychological damage. As much as this game is more realistic than other video games, it's still a video game, and it's still not real life. The decision to kill will always be easier in this video game, so arguing the bandit system based on real life sensibilities is flat out stupid and irrelevant.

I love the idea of finding new skins and even removing bandit transitions, but this will make DayZ into an even more shoot-on-sight FFA deathmatch CoDfag style.

How possible would it be to make is so that when found and worn the bandit skin hides your user name, but having the survivor skin shows your name when being aimed at?

At least with your name out there you have some minimal collateral for not being a douche nozzle. If you were spotted shooting at a player they could say "Hey player Ragi1ngD0ucheNozzl3 just shot me, watch out for him". Not to mention it would make up for the fact that visually each player is essentially a clone and indistinguishable from each other.

As a bandit you'd want to be mysterious, unknown. Unless you're just out to make a bad name for yourself, in which case you could don unmasked survivor wear.

In the off chance you read this Rocket, could you have someone fix my player data, it's corrupted or something. I haven't been able to play in over 5 days now, and I've been patiently trying different servers and times and waiting for a long time on each (30 minutes+). The dev team told me via email it will fix itself, I'm inclined to think that's BS since corrupt data does not self heal.

Seriously man, use the many resources in the survivor hq forum to find a group to run with. Get on TS, join #dayz chat. You can find plenty of friends. You are literally just upset because you are scared to get shot.

I am very nervous about this change. But the bandit system is NOT working. And fuck it' date=' let's change it and see what happens? If it is more stupid, then I will roll it back. No harm, no foul. Lets do all the stupid shit now, before this gets too serious.

What do you guys say? With me on this? I mean honestly I don't know how this is going to go but the existing system is pretty shit.

[/quote']

That's the best approach. I agree we should get all of the stupid shit and shit people are suggesting out of the way. I definitely think in these alpha stages the suggestions board should be highly taken into consideration because in the future you can't make heavy changes like we can now in Alpha.

I don't like this decision at all.

It will draw me to shoot every person on sight, which I -at least until now- never did before. And i am quite proud of never killing a survivor. Of course all bandits are liking this idea because it comes in handy for their style of play.

I know that rocket is trying to test everything, which is most of the time really good . But in this case there really is no testing required. I can exactly tell you what will happen: Massive FFA Deathmatch. I'm not saying that i really like the current system. But this new approach makes Humanity-Points quite obsolete.

Im pretty dubious about this "its full of CoD players, everyone just shoots on sight". The number just don't support it. Do you get backstabbed? Yes you do. That is part of the tension and the learning. You need to be fucking careful. Bandit skins were an interesting attempt but they did not achieve what was desired of them, and they're standing in the way of another feature... choosing your own skin. So we fucked that shit right off.

• Like 2

Amazing idea, I think this is taking the mod in the right direction personally. More freedom, paranoia and realism.

I'm loving the ambiguity in the updates too!

Direct chat and direct vice would really need some fixing. Conversation and actuall ability to hear a guy in front of you will be an essential part of a gameplay.

Global chat is also useful. Just pretend that everyone has a walkie-talkie or something.

Im pretty dubious about this "its full of CoD players' date=' everyone just shoots on sight". The number just don't support it. Do you get backstabbed? Yes you do. That is part of the tension and the learning. You need to be fucking careful. Bandit skins were an interesting attempt but they did not achieve what was desired of them, and they're standing in the way of another feature... choosing your own skin. So we fucked that shit right off.

[/quote']

Fucked that shit right off!

Is this going to be in 1.5.8?

excellent and I'm very happy about finding skins. This adds a level of realism and you never know who you can and can't trust.

This should be in suggestions but it's short:

Maybe keep the humanity count and when your cursor is on a player it could show their humanity level.

Im pretty dubious about this "its full of CoD players' date=' everyone just shoots on sight". The number just don't support it. Do you get backstabbed? Yes you do. That is part of the tension and the learning. You need to be fucking careful. Bandit skins were an interesting attempt but they did not achieve what was desired of them, and they're standing in the way of another feature... choosing your own skin. So we fucked that shit right off.

[/quote']

Dammit I wish more devs were like you...

I still want to know whether the skins persist across deaths after you find one. Or if you always default back to mr. carebear survivor.

This should be in suggestions but it's short:

Maybe keep the humanity count and when your cursor is on a player it could show their humanity level.

No, the player should have to use their own judgement to figure out if someone is shady or not. There should be no game-side crutch.

No' date=' the player should have to use their own judgement to figure out if someone is shady or not. There should be no game-side crutch.

[/quote']

Obviously you are already one of those who kill people on sight. I don't think you've really encountered the problem of judging other players at all.

No' date=' the player should have to use their own judgement to figure out if someone is shady or not. There should be no game-side crutch.

[/quote']

Obviously you are already one of those who kill people on sight. I don't think you've really encountered the problem of judging other players at all.

Ya, those of us who chose to go this path, are the reason you guys are freaking out. This game isn't meant to baby you, you are supposed to chose your path. And we chose to kill whoever we deem not our friend, and I deem anyone who I'm not on voice comms with, not a friend.

I'm very happy about this due to the fact i still dont know what the hell a bandit skin looks like. It's going to make me want to be even more cautious about who is around me.

Im not saying full proof it but is there anyway to determine defensive kills versus offensive kills? I know eventhandlers are very evil in terms of bandwidth but maybe theres a similar way around it..

If Player A attacks or shoots at Player B and Player B returns fire.. then maybe his humanity doesnt take a hit for the kill...

Or maybe a bounty system can be placed in, with photo of the players face or something that can verify them somehow etc. How this would work could be user-created with minimal script function.

Bloody hands: If a bandit kills alot of people, he might have some noticeable blood on him.. His blood, or others? Ask him... (this can be more blood dependent on how close he was to the kill or if he looted the dead body after, ponds, oceans, wells, rain etc washes blood off over time, add a black light in to examine newcomers of blood).

Something thats not a big giveaway or game breaker but give the innocent something because normally youd find odd things about a murderer that you just cant feel in this game since ppl use personal von's, global chat has no emotion etc...