What happened to that? I saw a few videos last week with a guy shouting to his team, and the farther away he was the quieter they sounded.

But now if anyone says something in voice, it gets sent to the whole server, and then everyone screams at the person to shut up. What happened? Can we get it back to the way it was in those videos? It was one of the reasons why I wanted to get into the mod.

Currently, the Direct Communication function in ArmA II is malfunctioning.

Most people don't realize that they are using the Side Channel, and they speak over it.

Most people have a Vent open, and will invite new survivors that they find.

ArmA 2 has several different channels, and who can hear your voice or read your text depends on which of the channels you are using.

Global channel - Everyone on server will hear you

Side channel - Everyone in your side will hear you (same as global for dayZ)

Command channel - Only group commanders can hear you (same as global for dayZ since we are all in different groups)

Vehicle channel - Only people who are in same vehicle with you will hear you

Direct communication - People hear the voice coming from your character. Fades over distance. Text will be seen to those who are within 20 meters. Voice can be heard as far as 80 meters away.

You can change channel by . key, or by opening the text chat and pressing up/down arrows. For some reason direct communication is a little bit broken at the moment in dayZ and it is not guaranteed that other person sees or hears you over that channel. For us it works most of the time if you spawn near each other.

I wonder if 20 meters is enough for this mod.

I agree. I'd be happy to see the text visibility distance of the direct communication channel to be increased to at least 40 meters, or maybe even to the same as voice is, 80 meters.

Best thing would be if text chat would also fade over distance like voice does. So the further you are from the one using text chat in direct communication channel, the more transparent the text becomes, finally fading out completely at 80 meters.

I've been using Direct Communication, yes.

Sometimes it works, sometime the server yells at you.

Also, to settle the dispute, TS and Vent suck equally. Mumble is better, and costs a 5th of the amount to rent a server for. =D

I heard that you can modify the 'range' for Direct Comm in the options or something, this wouldn't surprise me.

This will change the game completely for me once fixed. Then I won't have to type (which take's entirely way too long) when confronted by someone.

It's just getting people to use it that will most likely be the problem after it's fixed. People can be so damn ugh...never mind. Unless it works without even having to actually manually switch to that channel? It comes over VON regardless when you press comm direct correct? Only text comm has to be manually chosen?

I agree, I think it should force Proximity on Voice. No matter the channel.

I heard that you can modify the 'range' for Direct Comm in the options or something' date=' this wouldn't surprise me.

[/quote']

I've never seen an option / setting for that for the server or client.. I wish it was adjustable though, so that you could set the text distance same as voice distance. I'd still like text to fade over distance like voice, so you could already determine the distance of speaker from the transparency of the text, like you can with the volume of voice.

Unless it works without even having to actually manually switch to that channel? It comes over VON regardless when you press comm direct correct? Only text comm has to be manually chosen?

When using the "Push to talk" button, your voice will be sent to the channel you currently have selected. Same with text. E.g. if you have selected side channel, your text + voice will both be sent into that channel.

If rocket is able to remove global and side channels, he might be able to also make direct communication as the default channel.

@Wüstenfuchs: Nah you can bind a key to VON on a certain channel. Forgot about it in my initial post, hehe. It's in controls under Talk on "channel name". But then people would have to manually set that bind so yeah eh...Maybe it would be better for soemone else to set it as default.

Yep I know, I have my space binded to "talk on direct communication", B binded to "talk on group channel" and V binded to "push to talk". That way I don't have to switch channels so often when playing ArmA 2. :)

Push To Talk button will just broadcast to whatever channel you currently have selected. If rocket could set direct comm as default, then it'll be much easier to instruct new players on VON usage.

I agree' date=' I think it should force Proximity on Voice. No matter the channel.

[/quote']

Man that would've been sweet

GON: How are you planning to work on communication in the game? I know a lot of poeple were a little bit upset about the chat system.

Rocket: It’s absolutely going to be changed. The reason direct chat doesn’t work - and If you saw CHKilroy’s videos you’d see that direct chat was working - is that I have to spawn the player into another body, and I use a special command for that, which isn’t really designed to be used in multiplayer. So it has the potential to, and often does, break direct chat. BIS are aware of it, it’s a high priority fix, and it’ll be in the next beta patch. It’s already had an attempt, but it needs another attempt. I spoke to our Community Manager and he’s right on getting this fixed.

Originally in the testing we had global chat disabled, and the only thing you could use was direct chat. So we’ll be returning to that once direct chat is fixed. And that will be quite brutal, so we’ll need to see how that goes.

http://games.on.net/article/15620/ArmA_was_built_for_this._It_was_begging_for_this_to_be_made_Dean_Rocket_Hall_on_Day_Z_Part_2

Once Direct Text and Voice Chat is working, and Global Text and Voice Chat is removed... this game will reach another level of awesomeness.

Feeling isolated, yet being able to easily communicate with those around you, will completely change the feeling of this game, and the way it is played. I personally can not wait.

Thanks again for all of your work.

I still like the idea of global chat/voice.

Assuming we all have access to a Chern-wide radio channel/post-apocalyptic twitter, if you're dumb enough to give away enough details over it you risk severely compromising yourself.

It'll be interesting to see how things go without global

While they remove the global and side channels, I hope the connected / disconnected messages will be gone too, or at least we should have option to disable them if possible.

Having only the direct communication available without any distracting messages would be great for immersion.

Definitely agree the option for disabling side channel text chat would be great.

Here is an idea for how voice comm should work - there could still be a global/side channel but it would be based on finding a RADIO object. And everyone knows one particular frequency if they want to all talk. Or they can agree on another frequency, maybe have a lot of them so it is hard to snoop in unless you really search.

Some people are gonna just go with teamspeak and have a little bit of startup advantage but anyone who wants to can stick with in-game radio. Hope they come up with something like that for standalone...

Woah...now ain't this an old, old thread.

But we do say use the Search function. So well done Bagworm.