rocket

Kicking of Players for Clan members

After spending probably 20 or so hours with this mod I am forming some pretty strong conclusions. Something significant will change in the way this game operates. Either the game is patched and the obvious holes that allow 12 year old script kiddies and the like to completely destroy a server or they relax the rules and allow admins and server owners to deal with the hackers and their own server as they please. I'm surprised at how much I personally want to ignore the rules of server hosting, so much to the point that I've now done less than an hour of research on how to set up my own private hive+server and achieved it. It's astonishingly easy and that really sucks if the authors of the game don't want this kind of thing happening, but I'm quite confident it will be more and more common until the issues get fixed. While we didn't pay for DayZ, we did pay for Arma II. So in many regards I don't feel like it's justifiable that the community is expected to pick up the financial burdern of hosting game servers while the authors of the game dictate how you're supposed to host it. There is lots of solutions though and I look forward to any of them being implemented in time. Just my two cents.

You know, the thing is: without the author of the mod, who specifically said that he does not want private hives to happen at the moment -- even if this is changing in the near future -- you *WOULD NOT HAVE A GAME*. That is the salient point. I really don't understand where you people get your entitlement attitude from.

... entitlement attitude from.

The money we spend to host the servers and buy the game which permits the authors to have a game to write. Like I mentioned before, what is encouraging people to put out this extra cash for these servers which "literally make up the game"? Like I also mentioned before, I'm confident a solution can be reached and look forward to it but I don't see how the system the way it is now is sustainable.

I agree with wh33t at this point, if the server owners shell out a 2-300 dollars per month for a server they should be worked with and not blatantly told the rules and are expected to follow, yes it is a privilege but there are only so many decent servers and less people willing to host them for the mod, I just think there needs to be a middle ground and an agreement reached.

• Like 1

The money we spend to host the servers and buy the game which permits the authors to have a game to write. Like I mentioned before, what is encouraging people to put out this extra cash for these servers which "literally make up the game"? Like I also mentioned before, I'm confident a solution can be reached and look forward to it but I don't see how the system the way it is now is sustainable.

With the current build I don't think anyone would look down on you hosting a private hive. After a few patch cycles these problems will hopefully be fixed without granting server admins more powers. I am not saying that these admins don't provide a great service to the community, they defiantly do, but granting server admins further powers would create an uneven playing field for the other 98% of the community. Hackers are the #1 problem DayZ has right now but granting admins powers to ban/kick/lock would only replace the problematic parties.

I don't think anyone would argue with you that the current system of private servers running a global hive is unsustainable and I have assumed for some time now that once DayZ goes standalone these private servers would be replaced by public, DayZ-team-run servers. The issue at the moment is DayZ itself has made $0 off this mod that is being used by over 1,000,000 players. Once DayZ has income via the standalone game I expect the servers to be centrally run.

• Like 1

With the current build I don't think anyone would look down on you hosting a private hive. After a few patch cycles these problems will hopefully be fixed without granting server admins more powers. I am not saying that these admins don't provide a great service to the community, they defiantly do, but granting server admins further powers would create an uneven playing field for the other 98% of the community. Hackers are the #1 problem DayZ has right now but granting admins powers to ban/kick/lock would only replace the problematic parties.

I don't think anyone would argue with you that the current system of private servers running a global hive is unsustainable and I have assumed for some time now that once DayZ goes standalone these private servers would be replaced by public, DayZ-team-run servers. The issue at the moment is DayZ itself has made $0 off this mod that is being used by over 1,000,000 players. Once DayZ has income via the standalone game I expect the servers to be centrally run.

Aye, that's along the same lines as my thinking. Hackers wreck everything.

• Like 1

I tried to connect to some lowpop DE servers yesterday, 7/10 servers kicked me or banned me 2 secs after login.

Me and 2 other friends got banned for racism and spam, just after 1 sec.

Is there anyway to report these to get those servers down/away?

Report sec

I tried to connect to some lowpop DE servers yesterday, 7/10 servers kicked me or banned me 2 secs after login.

Me and 2 other friends got banned for racism and spam, just after 1 sec.

Is there anyway to report these to get those servers down/away?

The report servers section.

Aye, that's along the same lines as my thinking. Hackers wreck everything.

It's not just hackers. There are groups of players out there that are moving from server to server with the sole intention of putting every vehicle they can into the ocean just to grief. As people know, by now, once a vehicle is in the ocean it gets glitched. I know several servers where the UH-H1 was stolen and intentionally crashed into the ocean so it would glitch out and not respawn.

Trolls will be trolls whether they are hackers or just idiots out to ruin peoples fun.

I know its not fair to be kicked out of a server for someone else but when it is a paying member of that server I am afraid you are going to get kicked. END OF STORY

• Like 1

This problem should be eased when reserved slots get added. Creating all these rules about how the game should be played just makes it more fun for hackers. I've played mods for other games where the author got all self-righteous and removed administrative features because people were "abusing" them and let me tell you it is a community killer.

Edited by TarantulaFudge

I was merrily playing on a Server today driving around my newly found GAZ when suddenly I got kicked.

I quickly checked the server list and the users on the server went down from 20 to 2, with the last 2 remaining members being the clan members on the server.

So I try to re-join 2 or 3 times and each time I was kicked along with anyone else who attempted to join the server.

Is this actually allowed? I understand they are hosting the server but at the same time this is allowing these people to "Farm" up the best gear, then potentially join a full server and go around rampaging with all the best equipment.

If it is allowed fairplay, but if not something needs to be done about this server.

The name is "GB #500 Multiplay :: [CLONE] teamplay server"

Rocket, I doubt you will read this message but I sure hope you do.

I can just feel the stress vibe from all of your posts. That's not healthy man!

You stated your stance on server control. It is a good stance. Now, stick with it and brush off those who disagree or keep reiterating points that you have already made clear. Ignore them so you can focus on what is important for DayZ. I see you posting long-winded stuff because I think you are too nice of a guy and feel everyone has an opinion. They absolutely do but you need to pick your battles now that you have over a million people with opinions about all of your decisions.

Now, on to some issues I saw you covered on: central server bottlenecking, server prioritization.

If Bohemia is blocking your budget for hiring support staff/system admins and servers - I am very worried about the future of this project. There's gonna be a lot of pitchforking by the community, angry server owners, and massive delay on just about everything. Bohemia should be investing 99.999% of their resources into this project. Make it absolutely clear to them that those are your top priorities. Forget about hackers, bug fixes, and the standalone version for now. The central server should be able to handle the increasing load.. and be infinitely scalable. I know that's a daunting task but you seriously need to get some experienced experts on board that have done this shit before. Don't take this on as a new project. Don't let anyone try to scale this database if they have not done it before. Pay $1,000 an hour for the best in the business if you have to.

Forgive me if I am wrong or made assumptions that are not true here. I own an online ad agency that pulls 100 million requests a month on 1TB of MySQL data and I just know how much of a pain in the ass scaling can be.

Edited by ryandev00
  • Like 2

Since they have far more server owners willing to host, i think the best suggestion I read on page 1 was the solution.

Apply to be a host for DayZ.

If they agree to the terms in regards to kicking, only allowing reserved slots for admins (which is a given as to the necessity), and any other set terms by the game owners, then by all means host.

If they dont agree, tell them to feel free to host a game that doesnt like treating players fairly.

If I am playing with low ping and doing just fine, minding my own business, and all of a sudden i get a message 'kicked from the server by admin' on a 50 player server with only 17 people on it, thats abuse. Its happened to me before and I only played for one day.

Its obvious why an admin needs a reserved slot. hackers (or preferred term 'cheaters' because hackers have skill, cheaters dont).

If someone is cheating (again, easily been a victim already in one day of playing), an admin needs to be able to assure he'll (or she'll) get in to quickly handle the situation on a full server. If an admin has to wait to get on the server because its full then that defeats the purpose of an admin at all. Also, kicking for high pings is obvious as to why its legit. ive seen people on a couple hundred ping when the server is clearly set for lower pings. If you dont like it and have poor connection, play elsewhere. Some servers and players dont want to play with glitchy players that slow down the server.

I think Rocket and his team are very fair and its been said many times but cannot be stressed enough, it IS a priviledge to host a new found hit such as DayZ. Everyone wants to find a good server to play on. Both server admins and DayZ want to come together to provide the best possible environment. But to host a server JUST so you can play with 5 of your buddies when the rest of the WORLD wants to play with a LIMITED amount of people being able to host at this time, you cant reserve an entire server or heavy numbers of slots. They dont need to spend time defending that decision while they have 1001 differen things to work on and want to enhance the game play experience and are busy with the stand alone and new updates for the mod.

I love it. its a bad ass game and I was sold when my friendly merely TOLD me about the game. To find a good solid server to play on (US) will be my goal. Heavy on anti-cheat and quality admins.

Its obvious why an admin needs a reserved slot. hackers (or preferred term 'cheaters' because hackers have skill, cheaters dont).

If someone is cheating (again, easily been a victim already in one day of playing), an admin needs to be able to assure he'll (or she'll) get in to quickly handle the situation on a full server. If an admin has to wait to get on the server because its full then that defeats the purpose of an admin at all. Also, kicking for high pings is obvious as to why its legit. ive seen people on a couple hundred ping when the server is clearly set for lower pings. If you dont like it and have poor connection, play elsewhere. Some servers and players dont want to play with glitchy players that slow down the server.

A reserved slot might be nice, but is unnecessary for an admin. We can kick/ban/etc via RCON - without having to be ingame at all. Many servers auto-kick for ping (for example, ours is auto kick at anything above 200). Glitchy player movement is bad enough on servers without adding connection issues into the mix.

I am hoping for a quite freely distributed server network but with fully centralized control.

Eg. anyone who sets up a server can name it and decide for a few settings like 3rd person, crosshair etc., but never under any circumstances or in any way have additional priveleges over a normal player, such as kicking someone.

Any abuse of chat can simply be solved with the option of ignoring a specific person in the chat. In that case it is up to everyone to decide what they think is nasty language or racism, and what is not.

Due to the nature of DayZ I think it is damaging to the freedom of the game to impose any language filter or to ban/kick anyone due to excessive swearing, racism etc. - the game allows to a great extent, more than I have seen before in any other game, players to exert natural human behavior and psychological principles. Since swearing and racism is part of everyday life, so should it be part of DayZ. I do not encourage racism or swearing, but I think the choice should be left to each individual.

(Sidenote: someone originally f****** up when not making the server software available for Linux. In any case just linux would be fine, linux and windows potentially better, but ONLY windows is like....... i lag words.)

Edited by n'Zapador

I do this for the people who approach this in the way it is offered, for everyone, as an experiment. I did NOT make this for my own clan, in fact in making this I DESTROYED my clan. I forbid them to wear their clan tags. I made this for EVERYONE and if you want to participate and donate, you follow my example and donate to EVERYONE.

Rocket destroyed his clan.. no one else sees the cliche here?

the problem I have with people complaining about hackers and servers is you

A) Are not being forced agasint your will to play this game

B You are not being forced to spend your money to run a server and to the moron who said if people are spending 100 to 300 dollars on a server every month last time I checked i can get a 50 slot dayz server for 30 dollars a month.

You bought the server knowing the rules you would have to follow them the only problem is the dev team has yet to really punish any servers for breaking the rules.

Edited by Nubz_Unite

the problem I have with people complaining about hackers and servers is you

A) Are not being forced agasint your will to play this game

B You are not being forced to spend your money to run a server and to the moron who said if people are spending 100 to 300 dollars on a server every month last time I checked i can get a 50 slot dayz server for 30 dollars a month.

You bought the server knowing the rules you would have to follow them the only problem is the dev team has yet to really punish any servers for breaking the rules.

A) That's true, but hackers wrecking a game that I've paid for forces/encourages one to find ways to enjoy the investment. Last time I checked, it was on the Authors of the software to fix hackers, not the community. So until the time comes around that everything is stable and secure doesn't it only seem fitting that people are going to find ways around the issues? One of those work-arounds is the private server packages. That's all I'm getting at and I'm really just voicing my concern for the future of the game. A lot of friends that I've gotten into the game think it's something that could be quite special in the long run, but get frustrated with the hacking, server crashing etc. I'll remind them that is Alpha and they all say the same thing "So what did I pay for then?" and that's a good question. The answer of course is that they spent money on a game that isn't finished and that they can't enjoy. So until that time comes around, expect the people who pay for the servers and literally permit the game to operate to do as they please as long as they can get away with it.

B) Yes, I think we all get that there isn't any "forcing" of any kind going on here. But if it's expected that the server costs that "literally make the entire game function" is shifted onto the community isn't it reasonable to expect that they get a say in how the server should operate? Once again I'm referring to the future of the game. If these rules that are in place are set in stone then how the game prosper into the future if the bugs and security holes aren't fixed? Do you understand what I'm getting at? Imagine yourself buying a car that is in Alpha. Sometimes it runs, sometimes it doesn't. It's easy for people to break into the car and take your shit etc. Wouldn't you as the investor in the car wise up and go... hrm... if I'm not free to mod the car to suit my needs then why wouldn't I just get a different car that does? So people either mod the car and break the rules, or they stop supporting the car manufactuer. So my concern is that the game won't get to reach it's potential if there isn't some flexibility for the time being.

C) I never bought a server as I don't agree with the rules of hosting one.

Edited by wh33t

Any decent geek would say:

If you use anything that's NOT a final version, never ever think about complaining. Simple as that. Period.

You may kindly point out erros, but please stop whining.

// Zap

• Like 2

I know its not nice but when people pay for a service they should be allowed to kick players to make room from their clan members ..thats the way it usually works in online gaming. But emptying a server when only a handfull are playing should be a no no .. If you get kicked from a low populated server then just ignore it .. it will be gone once the children have some new toys to play with

Some even seem to be doing other tricks, like relocating people & removing all their gear... its not a hacker I dont think when it only happens to a few at a time or even individual players.. on a few select servers I have noted.. its not battleeye etc.. or too higher ping, (they state that when it happens for that reason) Then I have noticed people log off (in frustration maybe) & that frees up slots.. That way they dont effect their regulars.. So you might get booted off because they may not like your play ethics or not on "the team" etc.. where there is the chance, there will be those that abuse the priviledge... as stated before, most are great, but there are others that need to be seriously looked at..

I was merrily playing on a Server today driving around my newly found GAZ when suddenly I got kicked.

I quickly checked the server list and the users on the server went down from 20 to 2, with the last 2 remaining members being the clan members on the server.

So I try to re-join 2 or 3 times and each time I was kicked along with anyone else who attempted to join the server.

Is this actually allowed? I understand they are hosting the server but at the same time this is allowing these people to "Farm" up the best gear, then potentially join a full server and go around rampaging with all the best equipment.

If it is allowed fairplay, but if not something needs to be done about this server.

The name is "GB #500 Multiplay :: [CLONE] teamplay server"

Yes I know, it happened to me too.. same server.. I went elsewhere....

Malicious talk and racism? No hackers then? I should just let hackers destroy the game experience for me and my fiends on the server WE pay for?

I could not care less about "malicious talk" and "racism". Words are not going to ruin my game.

If you send me £40 Rocket then I will let hackers play on my server all day long and kick/ban all the rude people instead, until then, I will ban those that destroy the game for us.