rocket

Kicking of Players for Clan members

quote: Rocket In short, their are only two reasons why you, as a server owner, should ban a player on your server. Those two reasons are: Malicious talk, and racism. You may not ban a user for stealing your loot, killing you, spying on you, etc.

Im assuming hacking is also included here. On our server weve manage to catch 3 in the last 2 nights.

Allow private servers and password protected servers the kicking issue would cease. Its just a MOD

• Like 1

It wouldn't solve anything since the players from private servers can just loot whatever they want between them, then flood the public servers and have an unfair advantage over regular players. This has been discussed a dozen times, really.

Allow private servers and password protected servers the kicking issue would cease. Its just a MOD

I agree with you on that one Pork only because I've played for about a week and love to play with my friends. I honestly Just want my own server and play either by my self or with the friends I play with.

It wouldn't solve anything since the players from private servers can just loot whatever they want between them, then flood the public servers and have an unfair advantage over regular players. This has been discussed a dozen times, really.

If you don't mind me asking but I heard there was a difference in a passworded server and a locked server. Example: A passworded one required you to start over (how is that possible (idk) and a locked one enables you to by your self time to get all the loot and cars together so you can kill everyone.

I personally like the sound of passworded servers only because I know i'll be the one playing with people I know and not worried about getting shot. Think about it!! If this where to really happen in the world do you think were all going to grab our guns and start shooting each other for stupid crap?!? I mean honestly I'll just walk down to academy take a pistol and start killing!! That's the only reason why I would want/would like to have my own server because if this was to simulate a real tragedy (I don't know if that was/is there objective or not) do you really think where all going to start having a free for all? And I know somebody will make some smart comment so I'll leave it at this.

Good day, Happy surviving!!

We have 3 public servers and 1 private which has a password. Whatever loot we gain in the private server stays in the private server. There is no transfer between private and public. Going into a private server makes you create a new character separate from public servers. We only use the private server for clan wars. No PVP takes the fun out of the game and defeats the purpose of a zombie apocalypse survival simulation.

Edited by Drakken

We have 3 public servers and 1 private which has a password. Whatever loot we gain in the private server stays in the private server. There is no transfer between private and public. Going into a private server makes you create a new character separate from public servers. We only use the private server for clan wars. No PVP takes the fun out of the game and defeats the purpose of a zombie apocalypse survival simulation.

If you don't mind PM'ing about that private server, I ask because I have a few friends who want one.

There is nothing pompus about it, the issues are:

- We all share the same central server. That means giving access to that central server to a game server is taking on risk.

- We only have a finite amount of administrative resources. Therefore we have to perform triage and choose the easiest, most time-effective servers who cause us the least issues.

- We have only a finite amount of resources on the central server. The impact of a server with five players is about the same as the impact of a server with 50 players as the connection is left open. So we prioritize those servers who allow the maximum amount of players.

We are not "treating server owners this way" because we can "afford" too. We are doing this because it is the only way we can cope. Please, walk a mile in my shoes for a moment. We have grown from ZERO players to SIXTY THOUSAND players in FOUR WEEKS. We are getting an average of an email every two minutes. It is only going to get worse, and that means we will probably have less resources and have to make even tougher calls.

We don't really have an option, it is either we do this or we simply close the whole project down for a few weeks. We originally wanted to release the server files publically and open the whole project up, but the incidents of hacking we were having from several existing server owners made us realize just how bad this would become if we released it.

I really, really think many people underestimate just how stressful this kind of project is, and just how much strain it places on resources. They demand responses to emails immediately and they want us to customize everything to meet their demands. They get angry when we won't agree to setup 10 or 20 slot private servers. Shortly, because we can't cope with the existing system, we will probably begin denying server setup for any boxes that cannot host a minimum of one 50 slot server. Priority will be given to big servers that can host 2 or more. This is a matter of triage. I mean, if someone else has a real suggestion - I'm all ears. But we have to prioritize somehow.

Please bear in mind, I rent several servers myself and have donated money to many of the servers donation funds. My entire spare time is committed to the project, and I have only insisted on one real rule for server owners:

Everyone gets equal, fair, access to the world

First of all, to all the trolls... go away little boys.

second of all, rocket. I would personally rather you did take this project down for a bit to fix bugs etc. because it's very obvious to EVERYONE that it is getting a bit out of control.

your mod is awsome and I do not want to affend you in any way. I would be willing to pay for this mod hands down if admins were able to have more control for their servers.

yes, i understand due to the rampant fast forward of players and such that you must be selective on whom or what connects to your fragile database server.

regardless of all issues you face, you must also realize that all fan base players will move on in a heartbeat at annoying major glitch's.

please, do yourself and the rest of us a favour and if you need to take it down and re prioritize or regroup, do it, period. it would be way better then some of the things that have been going on.

also,

charge money for it. why? because it will give you some funds for more manpower and resources. sounds like you need it.

i am not saying that you should charge an arm and a leg, a can of beans sounds right, but at least it will give you more to work with.

I sincerely hope that this mod continues to grow and you get what you need to complete and get to a real release date.

that's my rant and thanks for the game.

MG Sloth

Not going to happen, it is a MOD that everyone can play, not just your friends. If you do not want to run a server you are free to stop running a server.

I agree with you on that one Pork only because I've played for about a week and love to play with my friends. I honestly Just want my own server and play either by my self or with the friends I play with.

If you don't mind me asking but I heard there was a difference in a passworded server and a locked server. Example: A passworded one required you to start over (how is that possible (idk) and a locked one enables you to by your self time to get all the loot and cars together so you can kill everyone.

I personally like the sound of passworded servers only because I know i'll be the one playing with people I know and not worried about getting shot. Think about it!! If this where to really happen in the world do you think were all going to grab our guns and start shooting each other for stupid crap?!? I mean honestly I'll just walk down to academy take a pistol and start killing!! That's the only reason why I would want/would like to have my own server because if this was to simulate a real tragedy (I don't know if that was/is there objective or not) do you really think where all going to start having a free for all? And I know somebody will make some smart comment so I'll leave it at this.

Good day, Happy surviving!!

That ruins the point of the game, the game is not about the developers trying to protect your gear it is about survival. You also fail to realize people would still grief and kill people in the open servers, they would just have a nice private loot server to store all of their stuff. This would be beyond boring (for most of us maybe not you and I am not criticizing your PVE play style either) because it would result in loot bases right on the coast so griefers could just hop in grab gear and then go beach hunting with sniper rifles. The point of this game is your character can die at any time from someone else. I have been up North in the forest on a server with 5 people and ran into someone in the middle of nowhere. Without that risk this game becomes lame.

Really my second point about the game being about survival with the risk of dying at every turn is less important than the exploits this would lead to. The second point is just my take on this game, the first point is about keeping the game fair.

The problem is however that this community runs on servers paid by private server owners. So I find it a bit arrogant to to make server owners jump through hoops like this (and talking about how one should be thankful to have this "privilege" is downright pompous). I think the problem is now that the mod is so popular that the mod can allow to force server owners to jump these hoops (who get absolutely nothing out of it, not even a guaranteed playing spot on their own server).

I saw similar attitudes on BF2 PR and ARMA2 PR and I find it absolutely inappropriate how server owners are being treated.

And rocket basically admitted they can handpick who gets a "license" because the supply of server offers exceeds the demand. And forbidding slot reservation (by kicking) or locking is basically abusing their current position of power.

Do not get me wrong, the mod is absolutely awesome, but the way server owners are treated just because the mod can currently afford it is just retarded.

If I want to host a server for which I pay myself for others to play I do not like someone to tell me how I have to run it. There are slight exceptions, like preventing cheating.

its his right to give away servers to who he chooses hes putting the whole before a few whiny people who are already lucky to own a server its not their mod or game its a server rocket still has full power to do with the server rules even if he does do something complatly unfair its his mod hes working on it by himself pretty much and u get to play it for free so stop ur bitching or stop playing the mod if ur so outraged

its his right to give away servers to who he chooses hes putting the whole before a few whiny people who are already lucky to own a server its not their mod or game its a server rocket still has full power to do with the server rules even if he does do something complatly unfair its his mod hes working on it by himself pretty much and u get to play it for free so stop ur bitching or stop playing the mod if ur so outraged

You are right rocket have the power of the Hive but he have no power and no rights on private server owners he not pay.

Also some of the rules are against a civilian law in germany (kick/ban/password) as an lawyer wrote here but the community said only "Then don't host a server in germany"! - But this is not a solution, if rules are against a law in a country then they are invalid so rocket have to change them!

I also wrote here that there are no such rules in other game because of laws in different countries - Community said "Stop talking about other games" - Think about it why there are no rules and then about the stupid answers here in the community!

Also as Minecraft was in Alpha there are also no such rules and Notch had to pay for the Login servers as rocket pay fo the Hive, so pls don't give the argument that the Mod (NOT a GAME) is on Alpha!

Difference: Minecraft cost money on Alpha stage, DayZ costs nothing if you have Arma II + Arma OA but if you don't have one of these games you have to pay between 10-30€ to play a Mod

I'm 27 and i play since the Amiga500 and i never saw such a sommunity like this. You make all to destroy a good Mod if you think that this rules are ok and with this server reporting shit because a damn password or because you get kicked/banned.

There is only one second between a good Mod and nothing because in one second all sever admins can shut down there servers and there is no rules that is against this. Think about it

I am server owner but I really like to have reserved slots because its stupid when your server is full cant even go to your own server.

Who is paying for the bill from the server the server owners not the users/players on the server we as server owners need all so funds able to pay for the servers bill.

I think the reserved slots will be an great thing this way the server owners can setup vip accounts for users that donate for the server .

Dont get me wrong here rocket but servers arent not that cheap this days

peace

Edited by k3rmit

Let me start by saying that I respect you guys and what you are doing is great... however you say your being lenient on server owners and I think its the other way round, i think if you are willing to pay money to help the progress of this mod when you dont need to then its the server owners doing you a favour since there is no real benefit to having your own server vs playing on someone elses.

I do understand why some of the restrictions are in place but I really hope that these restrictions are lifted, I mean what is the point in paying for a server when you have no control what so ever over it.

My suggestion would be to let us do what we want with the servers after the game is out of beta and that includes mods, some people may think that is crazy however if you look at games like counter strike source and cod 4 you see that they had mods and people still play them today but if you look at more recent games that have restricted their servers you can see that the lifetime of the game doesnt last as long because people cant add their bit to the game by modding it.

If its the issue of these servers taking up your space on the hive server then set up licencing agreements so that you get a cut from the server hosting companies a bit like what teamspeak does.

This is only my opinion, and as usual with these forums there will be at least 1 kid that will whine and troll.

Its his right to give away server to who he chooses!!! are you crazy, he aint giving them away like fucking birthday gifts, we pay for them and you say were lucky to own a server... why? why are we lucky... what benefits do you get for the money you pay to host the server? I respect rocket but he is the lucky one to have a community willing to support his mod by buying servers.

This is one that gets me too, "Well dont play the mod if you dont like it"... wow the ignorance is strong in this one (and the thousands of other kids that say this non stop on these forums), if people cant come on a forum and add their bit then whats the fucking point in a forum? rocket has said in the past that he appreciates people suggesting things as long as they arent dickheads about it, the thing that turns a good suggestion into an argument on the forums is idiots like you who make pointless remarks like this.

Here is one for you. IF YOU DONT LIKE WHAT PEOPLE SAY ON THE FORUMS THEN DONT COME ON THE FORUMS... little bit of your own medicine...

As I said in my last post, if rocket was out of pocket then he would either charge for the mod or set up a licencing agreement on the servers so he gets a cut, I doubt however that this will be necesarry since he himself has boosted the sales of bohemia by a rediculous amount and if they arent supporting him and the mod then id be very very surprised.

• Like 4

I just want to point out that setting boundaries and enforcing them through software is never going to work. The people who want to grief are going to grief regardless of who posts what in big red bold font. The rules didn't stop the server admins we were playing with from torturing one of my friends by putting rounds in his legs and arms and yelling profanity into his face. You can kick anybody you want by just blocking their address on the server. Not everyone is going to be a good sport and you definitely can't force people to change.

All I'm saying here is that the bad guys are gonna be bad but there are plenty of good guys here who want to help but not if we have to worry about somebody running and fibbing to mommy. I think it is rediculous to release software onto the internet and expect people to only use it how you want them to use it.

The cool thing about mods is that there aren't any rules and I think we should use that to make Day-Z a better game for everyone.

Edited by TarantulaFudge

I only read the parent topic, but I have an idea that might ease this up a bit.

The possibility to free up a slot on the server should be enabled ONLY IF the server is full. It shouldn't work as a kick, but be a random selection of a person(possibly with the option to exclude other admins who are currently logged in).

I see the problem making people able to kick could and would pose, but this might remedy it.

Edited by AtotehZ

Ya know, their is a simple fix to this. DONT allow others 2 host their own servers, Keep the DayZ in charge. If they cant afford the server upkeep, their shouldnt be that many players. Im tired of this debate, and im tired of all the complaining. That is the ONLY logicial idea. That way, ppl cant say *km paying for it, its my way or the high way* If moneys tight, charge a small monthly fee to cover servers. If players enjoy the game that much, they will. YEs your player base will drop *ALOT* but it keeps the current community FAIR.

Although admin abuse is a problem, I believe admins should have power to police their own servers. Just as rocket said it's a small minority doing this.

• Like 1

Kicking for clan members is less of a problem than kicking so you and your buddy can play all alone on a 2/50 server without worrying about getting PK'd from what i've seen. That and there are still somehow a ton of password locked servers up.

I only read the parent topic, but I have an idea that might ease this up a bit.

The possibility to free up a slot on the server should be enabled ONLY IF the server is full. It shouldn't work as a kick, but be a random selection of a person(possibly with the option to exclude other admins who are currently logged in).

I see the problem making people able to kick could and would pose, but this might remedy it.

I believe rocket did say he was working on a reserved slot system.

The people hosting servers should know that they are doing the dayz team a favor, they are a part of a whole. It's NOT their right to manage everything that's going on there.

You don't necessarily get a seat at the table by donating to a company, and in this case it would be potentially devastating to the consumers... so where's the beef?

This might get a little off topic, but what if admins were able to prompt battleye to investigate a single user thoroughly. That way cheaters could be dealt with swiftly. This would probably have to be coordinated with them as well though.

Edited by AtotehZ

The people hosting servers should know that they are doing the dayz team a favor, they are a part of a whole. It's NOT their right to manage everything that's going on there.

You don't necessarily get a seat at the table by donating to a company, and in this case it would be potentially devastating to the consumers... so where's the beef?

I don't really consider the developers of Day-Z to be a company since they are not providing any type of paid service to customers. This is a fan mod of Arma II and Rocket cannot sell this mod without express permission from Bohemia Interactive. However I do not see that as an impossibility since he still does freelance work for them (this was in a RoosterTeeth podcast). I am however appreciative that Rocket has taken his own free time to make this mod because it is a lot of fun to play.

This might get a little off topic, but what if admins were able to prompt battleye to investigate a single user thoroughly. That way cheaters could be dealt with swiftly. This would probably have to be coordinated with them as well though.

BattleEye is only really concerned with the player experience on Day-Z if it affects Arma II. I have heard that the admins have some connections to the staff there but i'm sure their contract does not specify that they have to support mods. Most games that have the capability to be modded don't officially support modding in any form or fashion.

I don't really consider the developers of Day-Z to be a company..

What I said was meant to be an allegory, and I agree with you, but my argument stands ;)

what if admins were able to prompt battleye to investigate a single user thoroughly

This was meant to be an on-the-fly command that immediately prompts the server protection to react, not direct contact with the the people at battleye.