ViciousJ

Make boats useful

Hello!

Given that Chernarus has little to no water - and especially no rivers - boats are limited to the southern and eastern edges of the map. Moreover, they have no storage space and are really slow.

I'd like to propose that boats get a significant speed boost - and if possible - a little storage space as well.

I just see no reason for anyone to use a boat right now other than to read the SE island without losing all items in the sea. And even then you'd be lucky to not get shot while driving there with the current speed of the boats.

• Like 2

Boats are good for hitting cities quickly with little resistance and less people are watching the water than you think. But without multiple islands, wrecked freighters or other water-based things we could explore or take over boats leave little reason to be used outside of quick, watery, escape routes.

I wouldn't mind a boat with a medium or heavy machine gun stationed on it, like a military patrol boat.

• Like 1

yeah boats are way to slow,

you can probably walk faster than them, it would be cool if they can make them useful

I agree that the fishing boats etc are too slow, and possibly need a speed up/inventory addition, however, try finding the PBX, it's a nice fast boat we used for a while that has intresting potential.

I got my first 'boat kill' last night. Only took like 120 hours.

Anyway, I agree boats need some love. Not too much though. For now I think cargo space would be good on small boat and PBX. In the future rivers would be a great feature.

Boats are pointless atm:

- So slow that you can actually run faster.

- Your temp drops while on a boat so need to get on land to warm up.

- You cant eat food or drink or anything while on a boat so you always need to get off to do this.

- Your a sitting duck for other players because you can't shoot back.

- And they take more fuel than vehicles do to travel the same distance.

• Like 2

you clearly havent been using the right boats.

the PBX is FAST. 70 on the water.. has fantastic fuel consumption (and there is multiple refuel points right on the water. that are incredibly safe due to this). water based insertions are alot stealthier then youd think due to the 'nobody uses boats' factor.

the boats have gone DOWN in usefullness with the most recent beta patches which means you no longer lose gear in the water. so swimming to various islands is no longer risky and downright foolish.

but still. boats are ok. they play a very minor role on the overall map.

boats are indeed usefull, they are the only way to get to an island without dropping loot, and you can then actually set up a camp there

I was just about to post something similar. I think boats need storage. Some boats have cabins down below where stuff can be stored. Some boats are slow, it is part of the game. Fishing boats are not fast. The PBX is fast. I think the storage for boats should be added before speed is messed with.

You really want to use a boat as storage? You can't exactly hide a boat. You'll get robbed on the first day.

Storing engine parts and fuel cans as well as some of your inventory is good when you pull up to a city to go raid it.

@ Faithwolf: You still lose stuff in the water, the beta patch only made it possible to turn it off.

I would love if it was possible to shoot from boats though.

Edited by Max Planck

You really want to use a boat as storage? You can't exactly hide a boat. You'll get robbed on the first day.

This is dumb on so many levels.

1. Short term storage.

2. Being robbed is not a reason to not add something to the game. Tents and vehicles get robbed all the time already. This is normal.

3. Boats aren't even hard to hide. People don't usaully swim to islands, and the ocean goes off the map too.

• Like 3

This is dumb on so many levels.

3. Boats aren't even hard to hide. People don't usaully swim to islands, and the ocean goes off the map too.

So we will need regular 'boat cleanups' too, awesome. -_-!

I wouldn't mind seeing civ fishing boat speeds get buffed to like let's say 20-25.

Boat speed is realistic considering their models. I live on an island so trust me. Own one simmilar to that small boat ingame. Such boats tops at 8-10 nmph, they are not speedboats.

Temperature drop is normal, but only with no sunlight should it occur.

No storage space is dumb!

Fuel consumption is way to high fir fishing boats (10 liters for 1 km!!! - should be 10 liters for an hour to be real for slow ones)

No eating/drinking/shooting from a boat is also dumb.

Was so happy when i found one, but it needs slight fixes to be more usefull.

Actualy not being able to shoot from ANY vehicle is dumb. Arma...

Edited by vinss
  • Like 2

my major problem with boats is dc'ing, disconnecting/dysncing in a boat and ending up in the sea needs to be treated like ending up in debug plains/forest

Edited by 3rdParty