Sign in to follow this  
Aeoneth

[Suggestion] Non-lethal weapons

I was reading a thread about a friendly player when someone mentioned shooting a person in the leg and taking their morphine.

This got me thinking what if we found a way to knock out players instead of JUST killing them. It would allow friendly / no murder players to fight back without ruining they kill free streaks. It would also give people a chance to give others a chance to identify friendly without making themselves a (huge) target. You could knock out a player you are unsure of take his weapon and then find out about their intentions and from there the player could choose to kill or return the equipment to their captive.

But what would constitute a non lethal weapon.

Well there could be tranq bolts and darts for both the Crossbow and CZ respectively.

Could also be blunt weapons like the crowbar but only slightly do blood damage and do more knock out damage.

A beanbag gun / stun gun could be good for medium ranges.

Pros:

-Gives players a chance to fight back without straight up murder

-Would be interesting to knock out a player running from zombies and thus nor be directly responsible for the murder.

-Allows for safer, "friendly" confrontations

Cons:

-Trolling (constant KOs)

-Might not necessarily fit the setting

• Like 9

Using some primitive weapons such as rocks and sticks would be useful for knocking people out and stealing gear while they're unconscious, but like you mentioned this could easily be used to grief. When you can just as easily kill someone with a gun and then loot their body, why would you bother knocking someone unconscious with a rock and then steal their stuff?

This is an interesting mechanic but would require a lot of fine-tuning to make it useful without making it obnoxious.

Using some primitive weapons such as rocks and sticks would be useful for knocking people out and stealing gear while they're unconscious, but like you mentioned this could easily be used to grief. When you can just as easily kill someone with a gun and then loot their body, why would you bother knocking someone unconscious with a rock and then steal their stuff?

This is an interesting mechanic but would require a lot of fine-tuning to make it useful without making it obnoxious.

It's true that griefing could be quite rampant with this. However, I have never been one to believe that griefing is a reason against anything. Griefers gonna grief, no matter how much you try and prevent that.

Yes it will require some fine tuning, but I'd imagine being in alpha would be the best time to try this out.

I think non/less than lethal weaponry would be a great boon to the game. Griefing someone by constantly knocking them out to me is less annoying than losing a two week old character to an unprovoked ambush.

You could always leave the server if people constantly KO stunlock griefed you, I mean, even if a 30 second timer was implemented leaving you there defenseless when you d/c, you already are a sitting duck.

Edited by bonesnap

Simple fix is if someone was recently nocked out and you try to nock them out again it kills them. i mean if you are bashed in the head with a rock and only Knocked out, i am sure the second time would have a high chance to kill you. This way the true pacifist can use it and the griefers would just kill them like they wanted to anyway.

• Like 1

Simple fix is if someone was recently nocked out and you try to nock them out again it kills them. i mean if you are bashed in the head with a rock and only Knocked out, i am sure the second time would have a high chance to kill you. This way the true pacifist can use it and the griefers would just kill them like they wanted to anyway.

this may sound wierd but might be a very good solution

This got me thinking what if we found a way to knock out players instead of JUST killing them. It would allow friendly / no murder players to fight back without ruining they kill free streaks. It would also give people a chance to give others a chance to identify friendly without making themselves a (huge) target. You could knock out a player you are unsure of take his weapon and then find out about their intentions and from there the player could choose to kill or return the equipment to their captive.

+1

Could have some unseen issues, but what better time to try than now? =P

Edited by Zetal

Yeah, this is a very good idea. There's so many times I had to kill other players just because they didn't listen when I told them "Stop and don't move or else I'll shoot you"! The ONLY guy that did listen was eaten by zombies because of a 20-30 sec server lag and that I did disarm him which rendered him defenceless.

The game should absolutely have different ways of having other players unconscious.

+1 to this idea!

You could always use the cans/bottles in the game to use as nonlethal alternatives for knocking players unconscious. I've been wishing this for a while because when I can't find a gun and I'm in the middle of a town looking for supplies and a player is trying to kill me I could at least defend myself by knocking them out.

Agreed. But the darts fired should take time to put somone to sleep. Say 1 minute? Overall you have my +1

A good idea, but I think it should be cut down to 10 or 15 seconds. Enough time to run to cover if you have some zeds on you but not enough to actively search for the person who shot you.

Also I assume the darts would be loaded with horse tranquilizer or something and as far as I understand that stuff is powerful

A taser similar to the one in Ghost Recon:FS. You taze them once, they're on the ground. From there you can loot them and leave. Or you can taze them again and their heart stops.

EDIT:

Essentially it would knock you out with that hour glass thingy for a little while. Then when you get up you're fine and dandy...unless you're hit by a second wave of friendly electricity.

Edited by zython

I'm all for it, the only thing that would be needed to be fine tuned is something to stop stun locking.

I agree.

So, knocking someone out would be similar to the unconscious status effect?

Or what about Stagger or Stun status effect?

Bricks (throwable)

Cinder Blocks (throwable)

Rocks (throwable)

Being pistol whipped

Being hit with the butt of a rifle

Extended Telescopic Baton

[stealth] Sleeper Hold

​Tranquilizer Gun

Net Gun

Water cannons

Flashbangs (stun grenades)

Sting Grenades (also called rubber ball grenades or hornet's nest grenades)

Taser Gun

Hand Taser

Pepper Spray

Tear gas

Rubber Bullets

R.I.P. cartridge (Round Irritant Personnel) - tho' point-blank range could kill you.

Bean bag round also know as flexible baton round fired from a normal 12ga. shotgun (in real these can kill but what item can't be used to kill)

Caltrops are nonlethal anti-vehicle weapons

Riot Shields as non-lethal defense

So there are a lot of nonlethal (or less-than lethal) weapons out their that can be used. Would be a nice element added to the game.

• Like 1

Oh my god yes.

I am currently launching beans at you from a railgun. HERE ARE MY BEANS TAKE THEM! THEY ARE SMASHING THROUGH YOUR FACE AT MACH 7

Oh my god yes.

I am currently launching beans at you from a railgun. HERE ARE MY BEANS TAKE THEM! THEY ARE SMASHING THROUGH YOUR FACE AT MACH 7

Nope i had a riot sheild XD
  • Like 1

Oh my god yes.

Hahaha that would be awesome though a tad unfitting to the scene. T'would be interesting if we goy the ability to throw beans at people though. Whole new meaning to the term bean wars

Edited by Aeoneth

Alright so I think I might have thought of a system that could work. I'l explain it with a scenario...

Say me and Chiefmon are both in Cherno and Chief spots me and wants to see if I'm friendly. So he sneaks up behind me and whacks me over the head with the crowbar. I go down and out but not dead.

Instead I have a Trauma "mark" on me (familiar) This mark lasts until X seconds after I have revived (10 - 20 I'm thinking). If I'm KO'd again while the trauma status is in effect I will die.

The KO also applies a concussion mark on me. This stays for Y minutes after the initial KO. If I am knocked out after the trauma and before the concussion marks expire then the next knock out has a reduced duration (like 5 minutes, 3 minutes, 1 minute, 10 seconds etc).

With these two combined a PKer will PK even with a non-lethal weapon, and a griefer won't be able to "stunlock" a player as effectively (10-20 seconds is alot of time for the player in question to kill them before getting knocked out again for a reduced duration) While also allowing legitimate teamers to give a player multiple chances.

Also (just a sub idea) if this does get implemented I believe it should be different than the KO efect we already have. Maybe you can still look around but only slowly (and for higher graphical/auditorial settings have a gaussian blur effect with a reverb sound effect).

Edited by Aeoneth
  • Like 1