Sign in to follow this  
matt.25@hotmail.com

Should I wait until September?

As we all know, the rumour is out that the dev HOPES to have a standalone version of Day Z, playable by September. I've been watching this game from the sidelines for almost a month, and seeing it grow nearly 100,000 players a week, among other amazing videos online, i'm persuaded to get it. My concern is what will the devs offer/compensate the players who've paid $25 or more already for Arma 2, just to play this mod?

It's a game, of course it won't kill me to wait, but if I chose to wait, it could end up getting delayed and pushed back, so then I wasted my summer and more, all to save a bit of money. Think I should just drop the $25 on it now? The dev said the standalone version will have a fee. So maybe they can give a discount somehow to current Arma 2 owners? What do you all think??

• Like 1

25 bucks... for hours of entertainment. Or 5 beers! easy choice. Get both and be happy

If you played games like WoW, I'm sure you can miss the money on ARMA 2 as well, as you don't just get access to DayZ, but to the game, the engine and all the other mods.

inbe4: don't listen to him, he is getting money from saying that.

As we all know, the rumour is out that the dev HOPES to have a standalone version of Day Z, playable by September. I've been watching this game from the sidelines for almost a month, and seeing it grow nearly 100,000 players a week, among other amazing videos online, i'm persuaded to get it. My concern is what will the devs offer/compensate the players who've paid $25 or more already for Arma 2, just to play this mod?

It's a game, of course it won't kill me to wait, but if I chose to wait, it could end up getting delayed and pushed back, so then I wasted my summer and more, all to save a bit of money. Think I should just drop the $25 on it now? The dev said the standalone version will have a fee. So maybe they can give a discount somehow to current Arma 2 owners? What do you all think??

Probably nothing and that would be the correct way of handling the situation. I will happily plunk down some extra cash and never even think about whining about the initial investment for the entertainment this game has brought. Even if I quit tomorrow after two feverish weeks of playing I would still call that $25 well spent. If you are on the fence about getting this game time to jump off and have some fun, like someone else posted the entertainment this game provides is equivalent to so many less interesting purchases that it has already paid for itself.

Good points everyone. I'm so tempted to buy it now but what about Arma 3 coming out later this year? Will the mod be ported to that? Do you think this current mod will die once the standalone comes out?

If you like playtesting an Alpha, it's money well spent. I'm glad I bought Arma 2 CO for it; never looked back since.

It depends on HOW BADLY you honestly want to play it. If you can't keep off it and don't want to pay $25 for it, you could just get Operation Arrowhead + ArmA II Free and cope with those for now as those will give you access to DayZ anyways. Just be prepped for a few bugs, and you'll have tons of fun.

ARMA3 is delayed till 2013, just a FYI.

ARMA3 is delayed till 2013, just a FYI.

Any info on the community alpha? pretty please :)

https://store.bistudio.com/arma2-combined-operations-steam-version

Yeah I bought this one. Got my CD key in seconds and I don't regret it. Even though I've been playing solo, it's so addicting.

Just think about it, you go out with your friends you are going to spend around that much or even more depending on what you're doing for just a few hours of fun/entertainment. You buy this and you have countless hours of fun/entertainment. x]

Good points everyone. I'm so tempted to buy it now but what about Arma 3 coming out later this year? Will the mod be ported to that? Do you think this current mod will die once the standalone comes out?

Like I said, I really do not see you regretting this purchase even if a stand alone version comes out in a couple of months and you have to pay for it. It is different than most games I have played and I do not think I have liked a game this much in at least five years. I was like you reading the constant stream of articles about this mod and sat on the fence for almost two months. Finally I convinced some buddies to buy it and try it out and none of us has logged onto Battlefield or Diablo III since (yes I do like Battlefield deal with it ARMA fans). Just do not listen to all the negativity on forums, there are bugs but it is an Alpha and anyone expecting a finished product should be slapped.

Edited by Megatron

On the one hand, this game is as bug ridden as a goodwill sofa and built on one of the biggest piece of shit games ever released, Arma 2. A game so horribly engineered I'm actually a bit angry this game got me to give those idiots money.

On the other hand, it's really, really fun.

So if you want to wait for a game where it doesn't take 10 minutes to load into a server, only to find your entire inventory is mysteriously gone and then break your leg and die walking through a empty grass field, I would wait.

But if you want some zombie survival fun well it exists. It's right here.

On the one hand, this game is as bug ridden as a goodwill sofa and built on one of the biggest piece of shit games ever released, Arma 2. A game so horribly engineered I'm actually a bit angry this game got me to give those idiots money.

On the other hand, it's really, really fun.

So if you want to wait for a game where it doesn't take 10 minutes to load into a server, only to find your entire inventory is mysteriously gone and then break your leg and die walking through a empty grass field, I would wait.

But if you want some zombie survival fun well it exists. It's right here.

I will somewhat agree with your ARMA II assessment (I am new to that as well and while it is fun and different from other games, it is way too old for all of the bugs in the game), you should understand that Dayz is still in Alpha testing. People always whine that we are just making excuses for the developers and I say of course we are because we understand what Alpha means. It means it is not even close to the finished product and you should expect bugs that drive you crazy. I laid down the other day and broke my leg, it sucked and without morphine it was a death sentence but I got over it fairly quickly. The game is addictive and fun despite the problems, so I can live with the drawbacks while they put together the finished product (in 2014).

Wait, if DayZ goes standalone ull be paying for it again.

Point? I never "paid" for it in the first place. I bought ARMA 2 for dayz but when I downloaded Dayz I did not pay a single dime.

Naah... It was for me like $35(billing + currency) because I'm in Brazil.

And One thing I can say:

Despite the bugs, you can have a lot of fun, and I mean A F*CKING TON OF FUN!

Been playing this for like 4 weeks or so, and enjoyed all that time, had some pretty good experience aswell as some frustrating ones too.

But I must advise you, you will see 2 main "issues" on this game:

1- It is buggy as hell(Im not bitching) since it is at Alpha right now, and will be for at least the next 1-2 mounth I think;

2- At some server some players think this game is CoD, they kill for nothing, and will not play the game "as it would be";

Even with those two "problems" you will think your money was well spent!

I doubt they'd give us anything for paying for Arma 2 just to play DayZ and that's the way it should be anyhow.

its is a great buy no matter how you look at it you'll easily get your money's worth.

the way i look at it is you pay 1$ per hour of entertainment and if you gotta pay 25 then the game should at least give you 25 hours of entertainment. In many cases including mine i have played it for like 200-300+ hours already which means it defiantly pays for itself.

Edited by xScottYT

i can see why they want their own standalone ( more income for the project ) but at the same time why rush for standalone when Arma2 (bohemia) is making so much money?

Lets say dayZ stand alone (i don't know Alpha thingy kinda like how minecraft started ) $15, Arma 2: Combined Operations $30, so bohemia would loose money no? i am guessing $15 would bring more people and maybe sell more than a $30 product but yes i would buy/support DayZ standalone i am only 3 days or so into the game but i love it