idunc

I'm Now a Deathmatch Player

Don't give in to this, play the way it's mean't to be played and not how others are playing it.. Don't add to the problem, be part of the solution. Helpfully they the creators can come up with a solution.

Edited by cjones636

Don't give in to this, play the way it's mean't to be played and not how others are playing it.. Don't add to the problem, be part of the solution. Helpfully they the creators can come up with a solution.

I keep seeing this idea that there is a magic bullet to the problem and just to let you know I am not a kill on sight player but I will murder a player who deserves to be murdered. Like most of those who complain about the player kills you do not offer a single specific solution to the problem yet seem to think it will magically appear. I would be very against punishment for player kills and I am very against any sort of safe area on the map. If you have a gun that shoots then you should be able to shoot anything that pops into sight including other players. Should you? Who knows I am not into insulting other playing styles except dirty dirty snipers at the airfield (kind of joking). I could see more incentives to grouping up, but that will never remove the threat of some jerk who just wants to shoot someone else for the lulz.

Hopefully I was not too big of jerk in that response because I do agree that more people should look for cooperation and not let the few bad apples ruin the game for you. Most players are unaware of how many people have truly seen them and done nothing, I see people in fields and towns all the time that I could probably take out but make the choice to leave them be on their individual adventure. If I am in a group and we stumble across another well armed group that is a different story. I will murder that group every chance I get because they are the competition for vehicles and high level gear. Same with established camp grounds, that shit is gone if you do not have a couple sentries. Might sound messed up but I feel that is realism in this game, as a sole survivor you will seek out a group, but once part of the group you will be deeply distrustful of other armed groups and get into conflicts with these groups.

• Like 1

Great post Megatron, what you're actually describing is Asymmetric Insight. There have been a lot of psychological experiments on this behaviour and it's very important to the social mechanics and dynamics of Day-Z.

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/08/21/the-illusion-of-asymmetric-insight/

"In 1954, in eastern Oklahoma, two tribes of children nearly killed each other.

The neighboring tribes were unaware of each other’s existence. Separately, they lived among nature, played games, constructed shelters, prepared food – they knew peace. Each culture developed its own norms and rules of conduct. Each culture arrived at novel solutions to survival-critical problems. Each culture named the creeks and rocks and dangerous places, and those names were known to all. They helped each other and watched out for the well-being of the tribal members."

Read more for the full story but tl;dr - we form deep attachments to the groups we make in safety then become intensely distrustful of groups outside ours. Exactly what you described =]

When I gear up with a sniper rifle, I like to find a nice hiding spot near the hot areas (NWAF/Stary Sobor/Cherno/Elektro/Bere) and wait for bandit snipers. Once they start shooting and I know where they are, I do my best to take them out while they're focused on the new guys running into town.

It's pretty fun, but I've noticed that a ton of these players love to disconnect when they get shot at, assuming they don't die instantly.

What percentage of players in this game do you think play as part of a group/clan that is organized enough to replace an entire suit of high-tier gear multiple times per day?

Ignoring the ones who are currently exploting tent and item duplication bugs to allow for such?

I play constantly with 5-6 players and we loot high value targets all the time. Like, hours a day. We still don't have NVGs for everyone, let alone replacements, we have NO range finders in the group, and the high value weapons we have are mostly 1-2 each, at most. 1 AS50, 1 M107, a couple SAWs.

If we die, we lose gear, our next guy isn't going to be kitted out in 3 minutes.

And I think that's true of almost everyone who plays this game.

You're greatly exaggerating the presence of these mega-corp clans who have unlimited gear and resources. And as I said, most of those that DO exist only get by by exploiting loopholes that will soon be closed.

And honestly if they do exist then you need to find their camp, raid their tents and vehicles, and prevent them re-gearing their new members so easily. Now that you cannot store vehicles and tents off-map, there should be no safe haven for these guys to store their unlimited wares.

Before playing in a big team.. i used to play completely alone, and you don't need an extraordinary intelligence to collect what you need within minutes: you rush to the first big city for the essential tools (if you die, no problem, you can respawn again and again until you succede).. the average time to collect an alice backpack, some navigation tools (maps, compass), a side arm (revolver, colt or just a makarov), a primary weapon (usually an AKM) is around 20 minutes, again twenty minutes << and you're fully equiped to engage another player in PvP. You move away and you start to navigate trought the deer stands.. they are so many and everywhere, there you can collect anything you want (including sniper rifles.. and mil ammos). In 2 hours you have anything you need, except for some tacti-cool tools like the NVG (i intentionally used that term since the NVG is cool but not essential after they tweaked again the night lighting).

To resume: dying alone, means having to respawn again, and pass a single day to collect stuff. Dying in a team means spend like 10 minutes to meet again with your friends and restock. This is not enough as "punishment" for dying.. this is why most ppl are doing brainless things, because they are ready to PvP again in max 20 minutes. Give them a VERY GOOD reason to preserve their digital life (i would remember you that in RL you can die only one time.. that's why you do not do stupid things) and you'll eventually have a more mature gameplay, because at the moment the "perma-death" is a joke, and i agree with who said: "this is a shooter with an elaborate/longer than usual gear-collecting procedure".

• Like 1

This is exactly what I didn't want to do when I first started playing. I would tell myself that I will not become a Deathmatch player. Unfortunately, everyone else is and it's impossible to survive in cities if you try to be friendly.

I'm not a deathmatch player.

Also this whole "punishing bandits" opposition is weird to me, as anything that makes it harder to be a bandit gets hate for "punishing bandits." If you view the game as a whole, you'll notice that, by not making it more difficult and realisic to be a bandit, you're punishing plain survivors, or people trying to coop instead, and more directly at that.

How is it not difficult and realistic now? You're assuming bandits don't get killed because you don't see it? So you think bandits see each other and are like "Sup bro. Happy banditing and see ya tomorrow!" bandits get killed by other bandits. Bandits coop together. Bandits are just making better use of their available resources than you.

Stop saying deathmatch. It makes you look stupid every time you do it.

Nope.

Its an objective and unemotional description of the game mechanics.

Talking about your personal roleplaying fantasy where you "adapt to some harsh world" is making you look stupid as it suggests you're having trouble to differentiate between real life and the game world.

When you are in a clan or premade group, and kill people to cover your own guys while they scavenge in a city, then it's survival.

When you are simply killing people for your own pleasure, whether it's to get a killcount or because you are bored, then you are deathmatching.

If I'm with my group then I'm going to keep them safe just as they are keeping me safe.. which means strangers are a danger we don't need around. But when I am alone, either because noone else is on or because I just died and need to run back, then I'll take the 2 seconds and hear if a player is friendly or not.

Afterall... at the start, worst case you die and respawn... which is no big deal... and best case you make a new friend which might just end up joining your clan and/or teamspeak and become a valuable member for your team.

After I got murdered by a person I revived, bandaged and transfused I've shot to kill everyone I've come across, and my average life span has extended as a result.

After I got murdered by a person I revived, bandaged and transfused I've shot to kill everyone I've come across, and my average life span has extended as a result.

This really says it all about how far the community has fallen.

When you get shot enough times you are tired of taking the chance, so you shoot on sight yourself, thus anyone new you meet will get the same experience and start shooting on sight as well.

Neverending downwards spiral caused by people's inability to differentiate a survival game from a regular run-of-the-mill FPS deathmatch game... as well as the developers lack of comming up with game features that encourage teamwork.

• Like 1

This is not enough as "punishment" for dying.. this is why most ppl are doing brainless things, because they are ready to PvP again in max 20 minutes. Give them a VERY GOOD reason to preserve their digital life (i would remember you that in RL you can die only one time.. that's why you do not do stupid things) and you'll eventually have a more mature gameplay, because at the moment the "perma-death" is a joke, and i agree with who said: "this is a shooter with an elaborate/longer than usual gear-collecting procedure".

This is why I have said elsewhere that there should be a wait period of around two hours before respawn. Who cares if it pisses people off? That is the joy of this mod, so if it Rocket did that, everyone would have to accept it as it is not like they are customers in the first place (although we have credited BI with a nice sum).

I still go for the lone wolf style direct to villages, but of course, hours in I have only the basics and no military grade weapons.

I saw a smilar incident happen days ago hidden from a distance with opposite result, There was a guy on mic needed assistance for blood tranfussion and was really whiny about it, even begin cursing when noone replies. At last someone came to help him transfuss the blood and he actually thank him for it. I almost thought I'll see that nice player getting shot in return but it didn't happen. There's still hope for the community! :)

Edited by leeo38

I'm playing DayZ for a few weeks now and i didn't run into ONE SINGLE friendly player (except of the unarmed ones of course).

Everyone just starts shooting as soon as they see another fellow survivor. Well, one time I was being backstabbed, which is kinda awesome. But mostly it's just 'shoot on sight'.

It's getting ridiculous but I'm gonna get rid of my friendly behavior and start being a dick like everyone else. Get it on, motherfuckers.

Not everyone is like that. Here's my story.

I was in Elektro church, somewhat fresh spawn, only had a makarov (before they messed with starting gear). Two guys spotted me and asked if I was friendly. I was a total noob at this time and had no idea how to communicate. I screamed at my friend on teamspeak and asked him how to do so (he's played longer than me). He told me I could cycle through the channels with the '<' '>' keys. As I'm doing this and trying to type, I accidentally even fired a shot (not at them, my back was facing them) and typed a single letter 's'. Of course, they were like "wtf", lol.

Eventually, I figured out how to really talk and we banded up, found vehicles, they showed me how to fix it, etc... It was a lot of fun. They told me that they were so close to killing me though especially after I fired the accidental shot, lol. But now, we've become permanent friends and I'm really grateful to them for teaching me a lot of things.

Moral of the story, yes things like that is extremely rare. But, I think the select few experiences you have makes it all worth it, IMO. Of course, to each their own, this is just what I think.

It's getting ridiculous but I'm gonna get rid of my friendly behavior and start being a dick like everyone else. Get it on, motherf*****s.

Everyone has their own opinion based on their personal experience. The only hostility I've experienced so far is watching gunfights inside the the cities and a sniper camping across the supermarket that almost killed me. Everyone else I've come across upclose is just minding their own business or go into the opposite direction, one even silently followed me for looting even though he's fully armed and i never said the word "friendly"

Edited by leeo38

I've been killed far too many times trying to be friendly. Countless times have I yelled "Friendly! Don't shoot!" only to be shot in the head. A guy being chased by a zombie literally stopped running to aim at my head and kill me. The only people that I've come across that won't kill you immediately are unarmed players. Even players with hatchets sneak up behind me to kill me, and not even loot my body.

I'm done yelling friendly. From now on, everyone I see is a +1 to my Murder count.

Welcome to the club friend. It's pointless at this moment in DayZ to try to be friendly, kill everyone you see under the assumption they are hostile, you'll live much, much longer.

Everyone has their own opinion based on their personal experience. The only hostility I've experienced so far is watching gunfights inside the the cities and a sniper camping across the supermarket that almost killed me. Everyone else I've come across upclose is just minding their own business or go into the opposite direction, one even silently followed me for looting even though he's fully armed and i never said the word "friendly"

Yeah I guess everyone is gaining different experiences. It took me several weeks to realise being friendly doesn't work at all. It's a decision based on the individual learning process. It's just how this game rewards you as a friendly player: with bullets in your head. This is why im gonna try to be like those two crazy guys throwing grenades and shooting with badass weapons at my completely unarmed character in northern Cherno. ;) Ruining other's gaming experiences must be so much fun.

How is it not difficult and realistic now? You're assuming bandits don't get killed because you don't see it? So you think bandits see each other and are like "Sup bro. Happy banditing and see ya tomorrow!" bandits get killed by other bandits. Bandits coop together. Bandits are just making better use of their available resources than you.

I'll tell you why banditry is not difficult and realistic.

While a surivivor has to meticulously search for supplies, and evaluate every encounter they have, a bandit does not have to do the same.

A bandit needs only to find a weapon, and start killing people for their loot. A bandit doesn't have to evaluate every person they meet, and instead can just shoot on sight, without any thought.

This is why many survivors feel their deaths at bandits as cheap. Because it is cheap. The bandit didn't have to put in any thought or effort to survive. It's incredibly quicker and easier to kill someone for gear than to search building after building, and town after town for it.

I'll tell you why banditry is not difficult and realistic.

While a surivivor has to meticulously search for supplies, and evaluate every encounter they have, a bandit does not have to do the same.

A bandit needs only to find a weapon, and start killing people for their loot. A bandit doesn't have to evaluate every person they meet, and instead can just shoot on sight, without any thought.

This is why many survivors feel their deaths at bandits as cheap. Because it is cheap. The bandit didn't have to put in any thought or effort to survive. It's incredibly quicker and easier to kill someone for gear than to search building after building, and town after town for it.

That.

There needs to be small thought behind it, instead of just pure psychopath.

Just ran into a frenchman and after a few friendly words via VOIP I went off, but saw him again running with a trail. Ran over to help but as I entered the filling station, he exited for some reason and was eaten. I shot what I could before falling unconscious but I still live and now have a knife, so if I can make it to the woods I'll have me a roast pig (thanks for the knife!).

A bandit needs only to find a weapon, and start killing people for their loot.

If you find a wallet on the street, it's much easier to take the money out, drop the wallet and go about your business, right?

It takes a lot of effort and willpower to gather the wallet, determine the owner, get in contact with them and find a way to return their wallet.

Being the better person is always more difficult.

If the good and just way were always the easiest and most rewarding, we wouldn't have any bad guys in the world now would we?

If you find a wallet on the street, it's much easier to take the money out, drop the wallet and go about your business, right?

It takes a lot of effort and willpower to gather the wallet, determine the owner, get in contact with them and find a way to return their wallet.

Being the better person is always more difficult.

If the good and just way were always the easiest and most rewarding, we wouldn't have any bad guys in the world now would we?

Is the owner of the wallet going to shoot you on sight when you're about to return the wallet to him? I guess not.

Edited by Son of Liberty