Sign in to follow this  
GoodNewsEveryone

Share some tips for those of us who are new to Arma and DayZ

I have played this game for 4 hours and love the look and feel of it.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet understood it. There's something I don't "get" and wondered if someone could put me on the right track.

1. When I start out, do I have a gun? I tried pressing "G" and selecting guns to transfer over, but nothing appears in the gun slots. I just have a bandage, painkiller, flashlight and something else.
  2. I picked up a gun from a package in a building, but again I cannot seem to arm it. Am I missing something?
  3. When I encountered human players, they were all running on the spot, or crawling on the spot, as though there were connection problems. I had a yellow chain link displayed on the screen. However, myself and the zombies were moving around fine. Is there a problem?
  4. When I press "M", no map appears.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated. I want to get into this game.

• Like 1

1: Never run on the roads unless you accept the risk of looking like a massive target. Always use the cover of the woods surrounding them and use the road as a guide.

2: Be careful with light sources (Flashlights, flares, chemlights) because they attract unseen eyes. And occasionally sniper rounds.

3: Be wary of gunshots. Don't go and investigate. Find a quiet spot and watch things, or get out of there. Quietly.

4: Never sprint around near cities. Crouch-walk or go prone when stealth is a necessity.

5: never turn your back to a player you just met. They can access your backpack without your knowledge. Or they'll just shoot you.

• Like 1

Use this map to help you find loot www.dayzdb.com/map

Use this wiki to get info about items in the game www.dayzwiki.com/

- Get to the nearest city(Chernogorsk or Elektro) and find the church and supermarket to stock up on supply and head to the nearest forest for cover. Always crawl and hold the alt button to look around when you're in the city.

- if you seriously want to survive in the woods, just look for deer stands to stock up your supply.

- be on the lookout for other players and hide if you hear distant gunshots.

- If an infected manage to spot you, just run to the coast line and swim for a while( there is a possibility some stuff from your inventory including weapons will drop) and you will loose them easily.

- check out Lets Play DayZ videos on youtube :D

- if you want to kill the infected chasing you, just run inside any building, they tend to slow down on the door step so you'll have enough time to turn around shoot them.

Edited by leeo38

How long does night last?

It's real time, so whenever the sun goes down for the time zone that server is in. So let's say you are PST and you are playing in a Seattle server (PST), then whenever the sun goes down/up for you, it goes down/up for the server.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet understood it. There's something I don't "get" and wondered if someone could put me on the right track.

1. When I start out, do I have a gun? I tried pressing "G" and selecting guns to transfer over, but nothing appears in the gun slots. I just have a bandage, painkiller, flashlight and something else.
  2. I picked up a gun from a package in a building, but again I cannot seem to arm it. Am I missing something?
  3. When I encountered human players, they were all running on the spot, or crawling on the spot, as though there were connection problems. I had a yellow chain link displayed on the screen. However, myself and the zombies were moving around fine. Is there a problem?

Clearly I posted in the wrong thread :blush:

You're playing arma whether you like it or not, so heres some basic tips for anyone who wants to survive in arma and therefore dayz

COVER OR CONCEAL,

Always prefer hard cover when being fired on, but if thats not available try and break line of sight from the enemy, treelines, defilade, theres all sorts of ways you can do this.

AVOID CONTACT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Say you see someone, but they dont see you, what is your immediate reaction right now, to pump them full of bullets? I thought so.

If you see someone, but the enemy doesnt see you, take a note of his direction of travel and the area he was in.

Unless you're using supressed weaponry you should not be spamming your weapon in every city in chernarus.

Other ways of just generally avoiding contact is to maintain situational awareness, if you're playing with other people this is easier as you can keep "360 degrees of security"

meaning one person is watching their own sector and calling out contacts as they see them.

fireteam_covering_sectors_in_open.png

(Sourced from ttp2.dslyecxi.com)

DO NOT SKYLINE YOURSELF.

When you're on a large hill, you'll be skylining yourself against the sky, which is a bad idea cause you're visible to basically everyone at that point.

tip_skyline_tmb.jpg

(Taken from Dslyecxis awesome TTP2. Source: http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/)

KNOW YOUR EFFECTIVE RANGE

See that AK you're holding? Dont try and engage targets outside of its effective range

about 300-500m is where you're pushing it with an AK

Got an M107?

Expect to be taking accurate shots out to 1km.

Experiment with this in editor if you must, place targets at various ranges.

I'll be updating this post as I think of more stuff.

Toodles.

Edited by Crow
  • Like 1

I can provide a bit of help here;

1: No. You start out with no gun.

2: Guns automactically start off armed when you equip them. If you found a 'package', you probably only found a magazine.

3: Zombies are run via the client's PC, rather than the server. The link is definitely a connection issue with either you or the server.

4: You do not start with a map. It appears as a lootable item ingame.

Now for my question - How do you type in chat to people? I can't figure this out for the life of me. I can use voice chat, but not text chat.

how do i equip a weapon (crobar)

double click it, switch to it (check options to kind the keys how you like them, or use mousewheel for a start), reload (i think they fixed the need to reload crowbar/hatchet, have not tried yet)

Edited by Azrail

One more to add,

If you think it's too difficult, then just log in during the night...

Zeds less likely to spot you.

You can clear one of the main cities,it's easy, gear up some guns, ammo, food,new backpack, and gtfo!

Familiarze yourself with the controls, pay attention to the eye and ear icon, check a guide on youtube.

If you die once, try again, not much to loose.Anyway doesn't matter, you'll die again soon:D

good luck!

In hope not to sound too corny, trust nobody. Approach everybody with caution, knowing that they might very well shoot your head off. Adds some depth to your game-play ;)

Doesn't mean you should treat everybody as shit and kill them on-sight, hope you get my idea.

Good hunting.

Now for my question - How do you type in chat to people? I can't figure this out for the life of me. I can use voice chat, but not text chat.

Side and global chat should be disabled on all up to date servers.

Press the , or . keys to change chat channels.

/ opens up a chatbox for you to type in the channel you have selected.

CAPSLOCK is your voice chat button. This again works in the channel you have selected, either group, vehicle, or direct.

If people are trying to get a hang of the controls, I suggest playing the Arma 2 SP Basic Training missions. They will quickly get you familiar with the controls. Some are intuitive, some are not.

In hope not to sound too corny, trust nobody. Approach everybody with caution, knowing that they might very well shoot your head off. Adds some depth to your game-play ;)

Doesn't mean you should treat everybody as shit and kill them on-sight, hope you get my idea.

Yeah, i've met a few passer-by who just happened to go on with their business looting the supermarket I'm in or walking past me in the opposite direction. Not everyone is hostile. :)

Use the third person view when you're not shooting. (enter key on number pad) Jump to first person by clicking your right mouse button. Zoom in further by holding the right mouse button down after you've entered first person view.

First person view is great and all but not always useful.

• Like 1

You see videos with people in night vision gear and lots of impressive weapons. Is the effort to get good gear "easy" enough that the death rate of a player is accepted?

I would imagine server-lag or random Dc´s etc kill a few players as well as an ichy triggerfinger?

Also..How does a camp work and exactly what does it provide for you benefits wise?

You see videos with people in night vision gear and lots of impressive weapons. Is the effort to get good gear "easy" enough that the death rate of a player is accepted?

I would imagine server-lag or random Dc´s etc kill a few players as well as an ichy triggerfinger?

Also..How does a camp work and exactly what does it provide for you benefits wise?

Depends what you call good gear. From scratch getting a Winchester and a pistol with a decent backpack and a few items is pretty easy.

From scratch getting an AS50, M4 CCO SD, NVGs, Rangefinder, Coyote backpack, M9SD, along with the medical and food supplies needed to survive on your own is not easy. Especially if you are trying to do it solo with no vehicle. In fact it can be quite time consuming and frustrating.

Keep in mind there are also tons of videos out there showing people that start with nothing.

A camp is basically a place where you are storing things when you aren't there. This can either be a vehicle or a tent, or both, and sometimes many of both. Benefits wise it gives you a place to store items you might not want to take with you, but don't just want to drop on the ground. Say for example it is night time and you have NVGs with an AS50 in your backpack. You are probably going to want to take a DMR instead since it can be used with NVGs, but by no means do you want to just throw the AS50 on the ground. Tents and vehicles give you the option to take what you need, when you need it, and not risk taking certain things when you don't need it.

Hey !

I drop a Map with some notes, how can i delete them ?

thanks,

Open up your map. Move your mouse over the mark on the map and press your del key.

Edited by Zipper -82ndAB-

Few tips

• Double tap W to sprint instead of run.
  • Shift + Left Click on map to place markers to see distance (I don't think it works on all servers)
  • .45 speed reloaders can be turned into M1911 clips by right clicking and selecting the option. (Same with DMR and M24 and a few other weapons)
  • Turning down terrain details in video options reduces the amount of grass on the ground without effecting many visual aspects of the game, this makes seeing people in the grass much easier)
  • You can keep weapons in your backpack, (5slots = handgun, 10 slots = primary, having less than required slots will result in your bag eating the gun and you losing it)
  • Zombies move slower indoors, kill them there if you can. Otherwise run backwards in a streight line stopping for a second to shoot every few seconds or when the zombies stop. That way you won't get swarmed.
  • Anything less than 9000 blood means you risk getting knocked out by zombies in one hit. Try keep it above that.
  • Never assume someone with a gun is friendly. Try avoid them if you have something to lose.
  • If you have a decent backpack, a hatchet, matches and a hunting knife you should leave the main cities and explore less populated cities with less bandits.
  • Learn from your mistakes, when you die think about what you did wrong so you can avoid it in the future (eg ran around in the open, lured too many infected, went inside a 1 room building with infected chasing you, trusting a random)
  • Don't shoot your gun in cities unless you have no choice. It attracts players and possibly more infected than you can handle.
  • The enfield will lure more infected than it kills. (It's reeeeaaallly loud.)
  • Ocean on left = west or south, Ocean on right = east or north.
  • Use an external map so you know where is best to go.
  • If an infected is more than 250m away from you when it spawns, someone is near those infected and therefore near you! (If you see it do it's gun animation on spawn you know it's spawning)
  • Running in prefectly streight lines makes you an easy target.

• Like 1

Depends what you call good gear. From scratch getting a Winchester and a pistol with a decent backpack and a few items is pretty easy.

From scratch getting an AS50, M4 CCO SD, NVGs, Rangefinder, Coyote backpack, M9SD, along with the medical and food supplies needed to survive on your own is not easy. Especially if you are trying to do it solo with no vehicle. In fact it can be quite time consuming and frustrating.

Keep in mind there are also tons of videos out there showing people that start with nothing.

A camp is basically a place where you are storing things when you aren't there. This can either be a vehicle or a tent, or both, and sometimes many of both. Benefits wise it gives you a place to store items you might not want to take with you, but don't just want to drop on the ground. Say for example it is night time and you have NVGs with an AS50 in your backpack. You are probably going to want to take a DMR instead since it can be used with NVGs, but by no means do you want to just throw the AS50 on the ground. Tents and vehicles give you the option to take what you need, when you need it, and not risk taking certain things when you don't need it.

Open up your map. Move your mouse over the mark on the map and press your del key.

If you store equipment in a camp and die... Is the gear gone too then or can you go back there and "re-arm" yourself?