ErwinRumble

[PICTURES] Dehydration/Hunger Mindfuckery - MORE HALLUCINATIONS TO COME

you could also have the xhair shake like the tits like when youre tired

A sanity system would definitively up the realism and immersiveness of the game. It should be very subtle and confusing at the same time, gunshots in the distance, the "bug noise" for when dead players are near when there really aren't, etc.

Another thing, two types of sanity damage should exist - short and long term. Things like dehydration, lack of sleep, loneliness, cold, and zombie encounters can be fixed by company, a fire place, sleep, etc. However, very traumatic things like close-up murder, lots of dead bodies, and witnessing players die should leave a permanent impact on a player. Things like visions, wild hallucinations, and panic attacks should occur. These symptoms can only be cured temporarily with things like alcohol & painkillers (Can't think of anything else, maybe prolonged company with someone else or gaining humanity could cure a player).

I love the idea' date=' but not the execution. I think the images are too extreme and don't really achieve much and would be more annoying than detrimental.

What I think you could do with this though, is for the player to experience disturbances (Mild hallucination). If you've ever gone 24 hours with no sleep, you'll know of these; you start to see movement and flickers in your peripheral vision. This would be more functional as a side effect as you would start to have difficulty differentiating between real movement and disturbances.

The same could happen with auditory hallucinations, start hearing footsteps that aren't there.

[/quote']

Agreed with this post entirely. Things like this need to be done subtly, otherwise it just comes across as a hammy gimmick. Everything in the OP is at best a nuisance that can be safely ignored, but seeing player models out of the corner of my screen or hearing believable sounds would be enough to make me stop and take stock. I'd actually use water or whatever in that case, where as the ooh spooky ghost stuff would be very easy to differentiate and again ignore.

Edit:

Another thing' date=' two types of sanity damage should exist - short and long term. Things like dehydration, lack of sleep, loneliness, cold, and zombie encounters can be fixed by company, a fire place, sleep, etc. However, very traumatic things like close-up murder, lots of dead bodies, and witnessing players die should leave a permanent impact on a player. Things like visions, wild hallucinations, and panic attacks should occur. These symptoms can only be cured temporarily with things like alcohol & painkillers (Can't think of anything else, maybe prolonged company with someone else or gaining humanity could cure a player).

[/quote']

I don't like this idea because your ideas of what causes long term insanity and what it involves are entirely subjective. Everyone handles trauma differently, and many people do not experience it to the same level as others or at all.

Lol, the last image made very little sense. If you're dehydrated, why not drink some ocean water?

People in the extreme states of dehydration will do anything to quench their thirst. Example:

2 campers were found dead in their jeep(In some desert). Autopsy showed they were poisoned from drinking the fluids from their car(Don't remember/know what kind)

So, yeah. Why not have players be able to drink from the ocean if they're reeally that desperate? Might poison them or make them a bit sick, but you gotta have liquid in your body, right?

Players can already drink from the sea. Chernarus is located next to a fresh water sea/giant lake.

I'm kinda going another direction here but WHAT IF all these hallucinations and creepy sounds were to occur as an result of infection? You get punched by too many zombies and insanity starts creeping in...

Supernatural hallucinations were never the sole kind planned. I'm working on practical as well.

Great idea. I was thinking about the effects of me not being able to find water in the North besides just "dieing". Can't wait to see more.

Love the idea and I agree that whatever you see or hear should be something that you would consider an actual threat. I'd like to add a few ideas.

Definitely agree that there should be long term and short term sanity. To a degree this could be linked with humanity. I also think that the cause of your sanity should change what it is that you hallucinate. Not only this but the hallucination should last longer as your situation gets worse.

Short term causes and effect

*Note the food related hallucinations should require a long time spent in a deprived state.

-Dehydration, Causes you to see empty cans/bottles as actual cans until you try to use them.

-Starvation, similar to dehydration but with food items.

-To much time spent near player corpses and prop corpses cause you to hear random zed moans and grunts to your sides and rear at a medium distance.

Long term cause and effect

*These take a considerable amount of time develop, counter with a new form of med found in hospitals and rarely residences.

-Spending LARGE amounts of time alone causes paranoia. You hear gunshots, footsteps. The worse it becomes the more often and closer they get.

-Killing people with positive humanity causes paranoia. You see people, bandits, animals and zeds in your peripheral vision at both close and far distances. The worse it becomes the more often and much closer they get.

There was another thread in which someone suggested exposure to weather, and sickness.. it would be great if that could ever be incorporated to the hallucination and paranoia system.

yeah the idea of "hearing things" could be pretty cool, little subtle flashes or periods of blurred or slightly darkened vision, or slightly tunnel vision via a vignette would be cool.

Silly that people class the currently suggested images as "scary." They're way too over the top and impossible to take seriously. After you saw it once or twice it'd just become a joke. In my case it's already a joke.

For me' date=' sound will always trump visuals. It's just the type of person I am.

To that end, having extreme dehydration cause you to hear whispers of "over here!" or "there he is!", the sounds of footsteps, far off screams, breath on the back of your neck, your own heart beating, a baby crying (thanks a lot, Doom 3) or my personal favourite, "They're coming to GET you, Barbara!" would probably give me full-on wood, then a heart attack.

Please, please implement this in-game.

TKJ

[/quote']

AGREE. Creepy sounds would be best. Personally I have the game's music turned off, since I find that the natural sound adds even more to the atmosphere. So on top of the already scary as fuck zombie grunts and gurgles, plus the terrifying sound of player footsteps when you don't know where they are, add on top of that audible hallucinations while undergoing extreme biological states (or sickness? future feature?)..

I love the idea of whispers, groans, footsteps that arent there. Baby crying, brilliant. The sound of children playing in the background to scary situations is always kindof terrifying. Also, instead of really obvious faux hallucinations, what about stuff like shadows from stuff that isn't there, and movement out of the corner of your eye. That I think would be far more effective and terrifying than a giant 3d bug crawling across your screen.

Good idea though. +1

What is so refreshingly terrifying about Day Z is that the fear is derived purely from game rules. Nothing but the music and zed texture map/audio give us traditional horror tropes. The constant nag of your stats, the tension of player trust and the risk of permadeath are what makes the game a horror. In fact, to call it a horror game suggests a reliance on those genre tropes. Day Z doesn't do that - it is just horrific.

It doesn't need cosmetic indicators of fear for us to feel it. Save those for games where it needs to be artificially injected like Doom3 or Fear.

There are already real effects brought on by stress - after my last surprise encounter with a bandit my (real) hands were visibly shaking as I drank some (real) water, staring at the 'you are dead' screen. My heart was racing. During the encounter, I know I could've got head shots instead of body shots if nerves hadn't got the better of me.

If you're critically low on water (in the game), what do you do? Make rash decisions, take less time in cover - worry, basically. If you know where a lake is or you're near the coast, as in not worried, but the game gives you cosmetic indications that you are or should be, it poses an emotional disconnect Day Z has wonderfully managed to avoid so far.

I'm not someone desperate to keep the game as it is, that suggestions are being made and heard is wonderful. The thing is, ideas like deeper environmental effects and dogs are 'real', mechanics. Mechanics that tell you how you should be feeling are not.

I think that at EXTREME levels of dehydration as you mentioned, minor hallucinations would be a really cool addition to the game and add to the already creepy-as-hell feel of DayZ.