ErwinRumble

[PICTURES] Dehydration/Hunger Mindfuckery - MORE HALLUCINATIONS TO COME

Great call this. Love it....

What about hallucinations of zombie calls? Always scares me when another player yells one over the side channel...

Players become zombies.

Zombies become rabbits

birds become pigs.

Shit gets rusty.

All doors are locked.

I like the idea of hallucinations, but not such obvious ones. I can't honestly say I have a whole bunch of personal experience, but the times I have caught myself hallucinating (due to sleep deprivation, mainly), I thought I could hear someone calling me (as well as whispering I couldn't decipher). Visually, I remember spotting movement at the periphery of my vision only to realise it wasn't there.

I've heard about friends who were on picquet after a few days with almost no sleep seeing chair-throwing monkeys in the treeline, and my mother and grandmother can't have morphine because it makes them see ants crawling everywhere, but I'm not sure you'd go straight into "headless bodies and spiders" level stuff from a little dehydration. Advanced dehydration? Maybe, I don't know.

The second reason is that it feels cheap and not as scary as it could be when you have this kind of stuff. Implied horror is scarier than actual horror. If you make the player think they hear zombies, but not see anything... think they hear bandits taunting them, gunshots, spot movement out of the corner of their eye only to turn and see nothing there... I think that would screw with people's heads a lot better than really corny horror tropes.

Just a idea, But what if this happens in a certain town with rare loot drops or vehicle parts. People will be scared shitless of a town! (Or atleast I will...)

...The second reason is that it feels cheap and not as scary as it could be when you have this kind of stuff. Implied horror is scarier than actual horror. If you make the player think they hear zombies' date=' but not see anything... think they hear bandits taunting them, gunshots, spot movement out of the corner of their eye only to turn and see nothing there... I think that would screw with people's heads a lot better than really corny horror tropes.

[/quote']

Totally agree!

Keep it simple. Use the stuff that's in the game already, nothing extraordinary. Otherwise you'll learn as a player when your character hallucinating. And not every time your thirst level is critic, maybe 1/3 you starts hallucinating.