daedalus-95

Drink from the Ocean?

Hello!

I bought Arma2: CO just so I can play DayZ, and I am really enjoying it so far, I just thought of being able to drink from the ocean, or any water source? Like, going into the water and pressing enter to drink or whatever. Maybe it's a silly idea, I don't know, Opinions?

Well, I don't see a problem with drinking from a pond or such.

But have you ever tried to drink straight from the ocean? It's not that good for your body.

"Water, water, everywhere,

And all the boards did shrink;

Water, water, everywhere,

Nor any drop to drink."

Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Seems aposite. (And if anyone's wondering/or gives a shit, it is 'Rime' not 'Rhyme' :) )

Hello!

I bought Arma2: CO just so I can play DayZ' date=' and I am really enjoying it so far, I just thought of being able to drink from the ocean, or any water source? Like, going into the water and pressing enter to drink or whatever. Maybe it's a silly idea, I don't know, Opinions?

[/quote']

Um I'm gonna say no to this one. One pint of ocean water ingested will cause u to go into kidney failure due to the high concentration of salt. So drinking from the ocean = bad

Try it in real life and see if it's realistic at all...

But we're not in a zombie apocalypse in real life are we..

If there was a real zombie apocalypse, and you had no water to drink from apart from the ocean, a smart person would drink from the ocean wouldn't he/she in order to survive?

But well, this is only a suggestion I thought of while playing the game

In earlier builds we were able to, but salt water really isn't that great for you.

There are lots of water scources incountry though, lakes and wells.

Actually, here's an idea.

What if we had a way to boil the water from the ocean? So we could drink from the ocean, but it would require wood, matches, and maybe a bucket or something.

Try it in real life and see if it's realistic at all...

But we're not in a zombie apocalypse in real life are we..

If there was a real zombie apocalypse' date=' and you had no water to drink from apart from the ocean, a smart person would drink from the ocean wouldn't he/she in order to survive?

But well, this is only a suggestion I thought of while playing the game

[/quote']

... You don't think there's a reason EVERY human on earth drinks freshwater? Freshwater = Plausible, Saltwater = Death/kidney failure/ massive amounts of puking. [EDIT] Not to mention salt absorbs moisture, which is the reason you'd drink in the first place, moisture...

Actually' date=' here's an idea.

What if we had a way to boil the water from the ocean? So we [i']could drink from the ocean, but it would require wood, matches, and maybe a bucket or something.

That would be feasible but you would need a large amount of ocean water just to fill your canteen

Drinking from the ocean is unhealthy. Try to find inland ponds or wells. Most of the time a well is behind a church.

What if we had a way to boil the water from the ocean? So we [i']could drink from the ocean, but it would require wood, matches, and maybe a bucket or something.

bottles/cans

You would need to re-condense the water into another container (i.e. distillation, not just boiling alone), unless you can drink steam?

You would need to re-condense the water into another container (i.e. distillation, not just boiling alone), unless you can drink steam?

Yes, as I am a steam engine.

But for you puny humans, I have to point out that yes, salt water is actually worse for you than not drinking at all. just saying.

Oh right. Been a while since I've had to deal with salt water.

Forgot about the re-condensing process. Guess that idea's out the window.

Let's end this discussion now. While u may be able to set up a bucket of ocean water on top of a fire then use a plastic tarp to catch the steam( once the water evaporates it leaves behind the salt) that runs down the tarp once condensed it's not gonna be very efficient. The best bet is to boil water from a lake of find a fast moving stream to drink from. (lol I watch a lot of survivor man)

In the same way you cannot eat lean meat only and survive(rabbit starvation)you cannot drink sea water and survive.Ever eat a salty meal and the your drinking water like crazy?

I am a Navy Vet, lets just say this you well need a distiller to drink ocean/sea water.

You aren't very smart, are you?

You aren't very smart, are you?

Refer back to this post, maybe?

Boiling water with a setup to catch the steam is perfectly good idea.Its called distillation and leaves behind everything else.

I am a Navy Vet' date=' lets just say this you well need a distiller to drink ocean/sea water.

[/quote']

Going for a commission myself, and let's just say you can drink ocean water whenever the hell you want...you're just gonna have a bad time :P