evilmuska

House Fortification

:P

"Hey' date=' there's a zombie outside! Oh, now there's more of them!"

"Sorry? I can't hear you over the sound of me pounding nails into this doorframe!" :D

[/quote']

One thing that fascinates me is that during World War One, the most dangerous job the armies could give their soldiers was going out to replace the barbed wire fences at night. Whenever they started hammering the posts in no-man's land, both sides' machine guns would just open up on them.

In 1916, the Germans invented a screw system, so their soldiers could silently twist it into the ground. Both sides began using it, and casualties dropped massively.

The same principle could apply for fortifications. It takes longer to screw in the boards than hammer them, but it would be much quieter. And as an amateur carpenter, I assure you I know how absurdly difficult it is to twist a screw through a piece of wood with a manual screwdriver. I'm just doing it fot the sake of argument

i like the boarding up windows/doors idea! +1

Is that even feasible in Arma's engine?

They made wire fences and hedgehogs work' date=' didn't they? It's sort of similar. And it could just be an action for zombies to tear at the boards, with a set timer for completion like when we put on a bandage or whatever.

[/quote']

Yeah that's true. Hopefully it could be implemented then, but like barbed wire and hedgehog's it would probably be abused. I'm all for it, I just don't want to have to deal with barbed wire, hedgehogs and now boarded up houses.

Is that even feasible in Arma's engine?

They made wire fences and hedgehogs work' date=' didn't they? It's sort of similar. And it could just be an action for zombies to tear at the boards, with a set timer for completion like when we put on a bandage or whatever.

[/quote']

Yeah that's true. Hopefully it could be implemented then, but like barbed wire and hedgehog's it would probably be abused. I'm all for it, I just don't want to have to deal with barbed wire, hedgehogs and now boarded up houses.

So your worried someone will go around boarding up all the doors... I'd have to agree with you. If they could add climbing in the windows, it would fix this issue.

Sure It probably wont be done by 1.7.2, but there is always Arma 3 or whatever the dev(s) decide to do there.

I think it'll be less abused than those things, if we make it harder to set up by requiring two different consumables, planks and nails, and they also benefit players more than wire or hedgehogs no matter where they are.

"Hey' date=' there's a zombie outside! Oh, now there's more of them!"

"Sorry? I can't hear you over the sound of me pounding nails into this doorframe!" :D

[/quote']

This would an obvious side effect while building defences. So you'd have to have some players building and some defending.

Someone mentioned screws, that could be a rare drop and require a toolbox. Removing/destroying would be done the same way with the crowbar.

i like this idea a lot but there should be still another way that may result in injury to get into barricaded buildings, but the barricade part i like, don't really like the lock and key part, also the would need to fix zombie hit through walls first, and anyway, you could brake a buildings walls with out hacks, first way is buy crashing a heli into a building, of cours you would most likely die, and you might tear apart the whole building, second way is by throwing frag granade or smoke granade at the walls. this would have to be changed for this to work well but i like the abilty to breack down walls so thats the main resond i dont like this idea.

I would say scrap the barricade idea as we already have sandbags and tanktraps and wire fencing, and just go ahead and go all out with an entire construction ability.

Set up a small shack or something. Eventually able to change out parts for steel doors, steel walls, etc. Or iron or whatever. And just set up your own small shacks here and there. If we ever added in the power grid system it would work to hook it up to power and give it lighting.

It would also be cool if its something only you could access, and no one else. It would give you more permanency in the world, as right now I feel kind of empty just wandering out with my backpack, when it's already full of food and water, sometimes I feel like "whats the point? I'm already well equipped what do I need?"

Question:

What's to stop griefers from going to every house and locking and barricading? It's just another 3 methods to deny you loot.

You barricade yourself in a house. Zombies banging on the door. What happens then. Sit there and hope they go away?

Play I-Spy or Slap until you get bored and try make a run for it?

Seems a pretty pointless suggestion. What benefit would locking yourself in a house do? How would it add to the gameplay?

Sorry, it's a nice idea at first but gameplay application is lacking.

• Like 1

Well if you read my post with a ton of specifics its already explained. As a griefer, it would be way too much trouble to just barracade and entire building just to leave it. Again, climbing in windows is a must. I think I already covered that.

Being able to log and BAMF! into the building from another server would ruin this of course, unless logging in a building would make you relog outside of it expecially when you log in some player made fortifications. Exploiters are gonna exploit. Nightcrawler_Bamf.jpg

If you haven't already I'd highly suggest watching this stream:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-09-watch-dean-rocket-halls-huge-rezzed-q-and-a-for-dayz

The part regarding underground networks is probably as close to what you want as it will get. As it's also the best method against ghosting. Please take your time to watch it if you haven't already!

If hes going to make more enterable buildings, this barricade idea might not such a bad one...

Love the idea however as mentioned it is open to abuse from the select few. But don't let that stop the idea.

Instead of keys have pin code entry as the fact is if you died on another server how would you retrieve a key? Or be locked out of your own place? How would you make multiple copies of said key?

I would prefer a fortification ability, you could fortify towns or your own little fort in the country. Like it has been mentioned, there will be abuses but make it time consuming and noisy to make the fortifications that you have to have cover while doing it. Like wise getting past fortifications will have to rely on persistence or complete brute force like the rocket launcher.

The barricading doors with planks idea is good, but not the locked doors with keys idea. Keys would need to take up inventory, and also create lots of situations where people get locked inside buildings with no way out other to make lots of noise.

well Keys could use that Tool slot that Radio uses :D Make it a key chain and just add option to add keys to key chain :D

If you watch closely, you can see a few traces of ArmA NPC AI in the zombies, like what you just mentioned, and how they also react to nonlethal hits. They might yell and hoot all zombie-like, but if you shoot them with a Makarov or something, they sometimes make the human "oompf" or "aaagh" sounds.

But yes, I think they'll work on that in the future. It is an alpha, after all.

Hurt a zombie and leave it with broken legs and he will say from time to time "Aw shit 'dat hurt"

I like this idea very much, Fortifying a building should also remove zombie spawns, but loot spawns too for balance, you could have an option "Clean out dead body's" which would take 1 or 2 minutes so that teaming up is necessary.

I for most like to make camp for friendly playes in Churches in either Elektro or Cherno, or even in both if I get a player to help me out, option to put a large log/beam on the doors to block it would be awesome, even make 2-3 players needed to place the beam in...

There are literally tons of stuff which can be implemented with base building... for example I would love for the big metal construction in Dolina to be able to remove outdoor ladders and stairs... and fix holes in the walls...

But first smart thing to do before this is to make new zombie AI, current one is made of normal soldier AI which can open doors and climb ladders...comone Rocket in which movie/book did zombie ever open doors or climb ladders.