Xianyu

Randomize military loot spawns

I say: remove military loot spawns altogether. They've ruined the game.

What's the first thing you do when you spawn? You run to the airfield. Either Balota airfield, or NWAF. Why? Military weapons.

NWAF is a HAVEN of server-hopping exploiters just praying and hoping for a pair of NVG's. And snipers preying on people out in that giant open area.

Make the barracks empty. Get rid of it all.

And instead, put down random-chance shit, like the helicopters. You want NVG's? You want a decent weapon? Make them SEARCH for them, as opposed to 'lol, lets server hop here.'

Ural trucks broken down on the highways, surrounded by scattered loot and dead bodies. Stockpiled medical supplies/food/water in the trunks of cars that never made it to the next town. hidden military cache's hidden under camo netting.

Helicopters crash sites prove that random chance events like that can work, and then the game is what it's supposed to be. At present, it's down to this:

Run to NWAF. Find an empty server. Loot barracks. Move on.

Having high concentrations of military loot in ANY static locations is just stupid.

Maybe even make mobile military bases that have a chance to spawn out in the wilderness somewhere. It can be done. I've seen the Arma engine spawn in random small military objectives in one of the game modes.

As it stands now..everyone knows the best loot spots, and just goes straight for them, turning the game into a predictable mishmash of 'let's loot spot A and spot B because the best shit is ALWAYS there!'

Helicopter crash sites don't even have that much of good stuff at them. Sure, there's the chance for NVG's...but why bother when I can stalk the NWAF and take a pair from a bandit? People are ALWAYS at NWAF because every single person whose ever played for more than a few days knows that the NWAF has the best static loot.

And static loot just isn't cutting it. It's always the same. You know if it's been looted already. You know where it is. You know all the angles.

Random military bases in the wilderness would be so much more exciting and scary.

• Like 1

I say: remove military loot spawns altogether. They've ruined the game.

What's the first thing you do when you spawn? You run to the airfield. Either Balota airfield' date=' or NWAF. Why? Military weapons.

NWAF is a HAVEN of server-hopping exploiters just praying and hoping for a pair of NVG's. And snipers preying on people out in that giant open area.

Make the barracks empty. Get rid of it all.

And instead, put down random-chance shit, like the helicopters. You want NVG's? You want a decent weapon? Make them SEARCH for them, as opposed to 'lol, lets server hop here.'

Ural trucks broken down on the highways, surrounded by scattered loot and dead bodies. Stockpiled medical supplies/food/water in the trunks of cars that never made it to the next town. hidden military cache's hidden under camo netting.

Helicopters crash sites prove that random chance events like that can work, and then the game is what it's supposed to be. At present, it's down to this:

Run to NWAF. Find an empty server. Loot barracks. Move on.

Having high concentrations of military loot in ANY static locations is just stupid.

Maybe even make mobile military bases that have a chance to spawn out in the wilderness somewhere. It can be done. I've seen the Arma engine spawn in random small military objectives in one of the game modes.

As it stands now..everyone knows the best loot spots, and just goes straight for them, turning the game into a predictable mishmash of 'let's loot spot A and spot B because the best shit is ALWAYS there!'

Helicopter crash sites don't even have that much of good stuff at them. Sure, there's the chance for NVG's...but why bother when I can stalk the NWAF and take a pair from a bandit? People are ALWAYS at NWAF because every single person whose ever played for more than a few days knows that the NWAF has the best static loot.

And static loot just isn't cutting it. It's always the same. You know if it's been looted already. You know where it is. You know all the angles.

Random military bases in the wilderness would be so much more exciting and scary.

[/quote']

I approve of this idea, would make the game alot more intresting. Right now it's just a rush to the airfield and military tents and there are always peoples there killing anyone who enters. +1 for you sir!

I agree completely, people would actually have to search for stuff and finding some would give way more satisfaction than the system now gives.

If people don't like the idea of losing the concentrated PvP zone, then atleast put random loot spawning camps etc. as an addition to the airfield.

I agree completely' date=' people would actually have to search for stuff and finding some would give way more satisfaction than the system now gives.

If people don't like the idea of losing the concentrated PvP zone, then atleast put random loot spawning camps etc. as an addition to the airfield.

[/quote']

I added the caveat of removing high-end loot from the airfields as a disincentive to camping there. As long as the airfields, especially the NW airfield, offer so much higher loot chances that anywhere else, people will flock there. Same as Stary Sobor.

And it wouldn't even need to be 'big' wilderness camps. Why not just a small group of bodies lying in the grass surrounded by spent shell casing (like the guys on the road between the deer stands and the Balota air strip), and the bodies have decent gear on them?

Sure, have M4's and shit spawn at the airfields. AKM's and the like. But high-end shit like sniper rifles and proper sighted weapons? Random chance only.

I'm willing to bet that about 80% of all high-end gear was gained through server hopping, or killing someone who server hopped, at the NWAF.

the other 20% is from a lucky helicopter crash site.

Probably not get rid of the barracks spawns, but rather just add random military camps like you said that have greater loot spawns.

Probably not get rid of the barracks spawns' date=' but rather just add random military camps like you said that have greater loot spawns.

[/quote']

but that's half the issue with the loot system. The barracks are such a 'god tier' loot area, that the surrounding area is a breeding ground for bandits.

Think about it: if the north east airfield had two barracks, it would become one of the most highly travelled areas overnight.

I'd actually be all for removing the barracks entirely and making them part of a random chance military base. The best gear should never be static.

That way, people would be encouraged to go out and actually search. Bandits wouldn't get any joy camping at the NWAF because people looking for NVG's and the like would be literally all over the damn map, rather than in one spot. The people who go to NWAF would be people looking for a guaranteed military weapon, rather than hoping for the one-in-a-million chance of NVG's.

the only other stop-gap I could possible fathom is adding barracks in other area's of the map. Like the NEAF, the military tents at Berezino, Stary Sobor, and Balota.

Okay, maybe not at Balota. That place is a sniper haven already.

How about random military convoys that you have to attack to get the best gear at.... just an idea. i like shooting things... but have it so you can open fire, and kill them, and if you shoot carefully, you can even get the truck they were in, or jeep, or whatever they were using, so that you can get high end vehicles from them too.

How about random military convoys that you have to attack to get the best gear at.... just an idea. i like shooting things... but have it so you can open fire' date=' and kill them, and if you shoot carefully, you can even get the truck they were in, or jeep, or whatever they were using, so that you can get high end vehicles from them too.

[/quote']

Too visible, and too hard to code, I think.

This is a zombie sim; the only convoys on the roads should be other players. Roving military convoys would be way too visible, and ruin immersion, I think. They'd have to be able to shoot back, and if they can shoot back, they've all got guns. Probably decent ones. Then there's the vehicles...it'd be nigh impossible for a single player to take on a convoy. Even a single Ural truck manned by NPC's is too big a payoff for a random chance. All of that stuff should take effort to find, not just waiting along a road with a sniper rifle for it to literally waltz into your lap.

It's just simply not DayZ.

and too hard to code' date=' I think.

[/quote']

Easy as shit, actually.

it'd be nigh impossible for a single player to take on a convoy

OK, now I see you never played Arma.

Actually, I have.

Being shot at 200 metres+ by an enemy I can't see with an AK74 really rustles my jimmies.

+1(00000000000000)

Most ppl i encountered had military grade weapons and one of them even topped it. NVG, Ghillie, M107, G17, PDW, medical supplies like a hospital etc.

I mostly got shot or shot at with high powered scoped or assault rifles ( western ones ).

Yeah, me and another guy struck lucky one day. Moving through that western town on the coast, and some bandit is sitting there camping. I didn't notice him, he's waiting with an M4SD and a pair of NVG, with an AS50 in his backpack.

My friend kills him with a makarov (lol). He congratulated us on getting his loot.

Know why? Because it's really not that fucking hard to find the same shit. It all spawns in the same places again and again, and with a little server hopping, you're straight back into some of the best gear in the game.

Actually, I have.

Then not enough! We've been ambushing military convoys in singleplayer since 2001 in OFP.

Being shot at 200 metres+ by an enemy I can't see with an AK74 really rustles my jimmies.

And that's the reason there were no CoD kiddies in Arma/OFP.

+1 to random locations for high-end gear. Spec-ops teams and snipers are way too common, needs a bit of a nerf for the rest of the player-base. Plus the mitigation of server-hopping as an exploit to get the best gear is great. Even if there was just a really low random chance of military gear spawning in regular towns, it would actually make them more of a "rare" item-type, rather than just a "go here to get" item-type.

it'd be nigh impossible for a single player to take on a convoy

OK' date=' now I see you never played Arma.

[/quote']Actually, I have.

Heheh, pretty sure every all 3 games in the series have had a stupidly hard convoy ambush scenario, which seems impossible but is awesome to pull off. Good times. You'd probably need to already have your hands on the gear that you planning on stealing from the convoy though, so it'd be a catch-22 scenario in DayZ ;)

Yeah good ol' days. Replayed convoy mission in OFP:R countless times.

As we talking about DayZ, I could easily eliminate a convoy of UAZ in the head, Ammo Truck in the middle and Ural with soldiers in the back with trustworthy Enfield and enough ammo.

Great idea,I am all for this.But do not complicate it.Remove the spawns at NWAF and make heli drops the only way to get anything military like.They could even have a helicopter smoking across the map to signal when a heli drop is about to happen.

I would love to see randomly spawning Dead Survivor Corpses in the woods and other empty rural areas eg someone starved to death and left a gun or was eaten by wolves leaving his food and water bottles. nothing really drastic just basic survival gear.

Yep, finding a spawned corpse with survival gear on him would be nice. We got lucky today finding two player corpses. Must be unlucky ones who were sniped by a camper, they were just killed and still had full gear.

i think the best solution to "Rush to NW Airfield" problem, would be as followed: i remember when i first started the game, almost every city had a bunch of dead platoons of soldiers scattered around a destroyed jeep.

why not add Random military loot around them??? its the most obvious explanation... instead of a small corner hotel with an NVG in it, make those dead soldiers a spawn point.

second: you gotta add dead soldiers with spawns to middle of forests.

right now, if u leave a city and start walking (car is too endgame :P) towards another city, u mostly just pass forests and forests... if u add some dead soldiers with random military spawn to some parts of any of the forests, u make any journey between city a fun experience of searching dark forest for loot... and also it'll add fire fights in forests cause u might run into another player there...

think about it :)

i think the best solution to "Rush to NW Airfield" problem' date=' would be as followed: i remember when i first started the game, almost every city had a bunch of dead platoons of soldiers scattered around a destroyed jeep.

why not add Random military loot around them??? its the most obvious explanation... instead of a small corner hotel with an NVG in it, make those dead soldiers a spawn point.[/quote']

Absolutely. While I think it makes sense to keep some loot in the arifields since the military would use airfields as a supply drop and base of operations, adding a military loot chance by any roadblock makes sense and disperses the loot well.

If the military were deployed they would assign small groups of soldiers to organise a militia in each town. When they were wiped out by an approaching horde of zombies or realised the infection had allready arrived they would have left their equipment where they fell.