thealgerian

Vaulting animation Day Z could use

From the mod "Invasion 44"

http://youtu.be/v_ZSCpulo-4

NO!

"DayZ was designed to be impossibly cruel, dark, and brutal. It was not designed as a game, it was more of an experiment. I prefer the term 'anti-game'." - rocket

NO!

"DayZ was designed to be impossibly cruel' date=' dark, and brutal. It was not designed as a game, it was more of an experiment. I prefer the term 'anti-game'." - rocket

[/quote']

220px-Vaseline.jpg

Here, your nose will fit better....

NO!

"DayZ was designed to be impossibly cruel' date=' dark, and brutal. It was not designed as a game, it was more of an experiment. I prefer the term 'anti-game'." - rocket

[/quote']

Okay, but was it designed to be stupid as well?

I'm ok with the cruelty of it as long as it consists in like making zeds 500% stronger.

Not so much when it lies in stupid stuff like "I broke my leg because I closed the door behind me" or in this instance "I have to stand perfectly still and be 1mm close to a fence to vault it"

Jumping / vaulting was never in Arma II, unlike every other FPS where space bar makes you jump.

The reason was realism. A soldier with a 50 Ilb pack and all his other eqipment doesn't do a lot of jumping.

For dayz though that no longer really apples as we don't carry as much weight. (normally)

But tbh I don't think it would be an improvement. We have the abilty to get over fences, all be it not on the run. But the time to take to implement this is time that could be spent in more valuable areas imo.

Not a terrible idea. Just not really worth the expense imo.

Also, I think the step over animation is ok, and more realistic as most of the time you step over things as opposed to a running jump. (Zeds chasing you being the exception) :)

Not a terrible idea. Just not really worth the expense imo.

What expense? All it would take would be be to ask I44's devs if we could use their animation. Maybe I'm wrong though but that doesn't seem any harder to me.

Also' date=' I think the step over animation is ok, and more realistic as most of the time you step over things as opposed to a running jump. (Zeds chasing you being the exception) :)

[/quote']

That's like... the whole point. This animation is needed in case of being chased.

Okay, but was it designed to be stupid as well?

Not so much when it lies in stupid stuff like "I broke my leg because I closed the door behind me" or in this instance "I have to stand perfectly still and be 1mm close to a fence to vault it"

Lol my friend broke all his bones and bled out instantly when he did a 'normal' vault over a sandbag wall. Totally gay that was.

I support this. It doesn't make sense to be running from zombies, or being shot at by someone, then have a fence in front of you, and having to go around it because if you try to step over it you will get hit numerous times by zombies, or shot and killed.

Given how low the fences in this game are, a regular person wouldn't even need to jump over them, its more like a step-over even with full bags and gear.

Why vault a fence when you can sprint at it, dive on the floor then face sideways and roll under it and get up and sprint in half the time it takes to vault over it? And if your being shot at then the last thing you want to do is vault a fence and make yourself an easy target...

lol. No. That is the dumbest thing ever.

Although I don't think it's worth adding and the current step over is fine. Your reasoning would be nice to hear rather than "that's just dumb". Without a reason for you thinking it's dumb it's a pointless post.

Although I don't think it's worth adding and the current step over is fine. Your reasoning would be nice to hear rather than "that's just dumb". Without a reason for you thinking it's dumb it's a pointless post.

I think the animation is fine but the fact my character will either fail to step over or step over and then end up half inside that object where his legs break and massive blood loss is kind of silly. For those that say days is suppose to be cruel' date=' I don't quite think cruel because glitches kill you was intended

[hr']

I think the animation is fine but the fact my character will either fail to step over or step over and then end up half inside that object where his legs break and massive blood loss is kind of silly. For those that say days is suppose to be cruel, I don't quite think cruel because glitches kill you was intended

Those saying no have to be either fat ******* that dont know this can be done or just are wanna be hardcore that think everything rocket says is right, i bet if it was added all those would say "OMG rocket is a genius", which he is anyway.

This would be a very good improvement, it would allow you to get away from zeds a lot better and in a more real way as its pretty easy to do this, i mean if we can run for miles without having to stop then im sure we should be allowed to vault like this. Having to vault over an obstacles like it is currently done in arma is much harder than jumping over like in that video.

Small features like this would be a big improvement, IMO.

It is ok how it currently is, but its way too slow and not as simple as it should be.

I think there is a place for a second animation for say if you are sprinting and have a small ammount of gear.

but that animation... it looked like the idiot got both his feet stuck on the top of the fence before he finished going over. I totally expected him to do a face plant o.0

all you really need is a proper hurdle motion cap. that would not be too hard to do. and from a running position instead of the standing position that the current one uses.

Im an animator myself and these kind of things usually dont take to long but its alpha, and that would probably be classed as "fluff" rather than a useful game chaning game mechanic, which are what alpha is about.

now.. go make something awesome like say....

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17076512/chainsaw4.jpeg

hell if you want it you can have it ;)

Those saying no have to be either fat ******* that dont know this can be done

What? What does this have to do with anything? Fat people don't want to jump in video games? Trolls should be required to carry signs.

As per the original post. I was against it initially because I tend to sneak everywhere, but there have been times that I'm running and wished I could jump. However, I can say that it's impossible to jump when you're wearing all the gear you would be carrying. I don't think most of you realize how much more difficult it is to move carrying 50lbs worth of weight in a pack so from a realism standpoint I disagree. From a convenience standpoint I'm all for this.

NO!

[/quote']

The problem is that it looks very loud. Also, all the animations in Arma 2 are pretty bad, if they just had a vault like BF3 it would look great.

you could sort it by backpack sizes... would actually make backpack choice more of a tactical/survival decision than it is at the moment.

NO!

[/quote']

No, its not, he PREFERS the term, its a MOD for a GAME, ITS NOT A GAME, and its not impossibly cruel, dark, or brutal.. stop with this quote, also to the poster, THIS ANIMATION AND ALMOST EVERYTHING YOU SEE CAME FROM VANILLA ARMA 2 AND ARMA 2 OA....

in all fairness it was also made to be authentic, and most people in the world can run and jump over a small fence. adding in a running vault would be good in my view and having the dayz vault as a walking/crawl one.

I would definitely like to see a running vault for those tough situations so gameplay isn't so sticky. Nothing on the characters in DayZ really inhibits that type of movement.

(And before you say someone who's fat or pudgy can't do that, I'm about 245 lbs. and even I'd be able to make that vault.)

Horrible idea. The animation looks like shit.

Seriously, who jumps over fences like that? For me, jumping over fences like some olympic runner would break the immersion immensly. And it's just not needed, in my opinion.