DaPessimist

Daytime servers are always overloaded.

I can imagine seeing the sun racing over the daytime sky, players trying to navigate by using the sun's position. People who think nights are already too hard, wont endure these nights, even if they were only two and a half hours long. We'd simply have rampant server hopping, every 2½ hour, instead of every 12 hours.

The main problem with night time is that its easy to avoid by simply ramping up the contrast/gamma/brightness either on the pause menu or through nvidia/ati interfaces. It may be an immersion breaker' date=' but if you arent doing that, youre playing at a disadvantage, because whilst youre fumbling in the dark with flares, trying to maintain the experience, there is a bandit sat on a hill 500 yards away who can see you clear as day, without giving his position away. And it CANT be patched or fixed.

[/quote']

but as far as the experince is concerned, it def. is causing enjoyment issue for those who are trying to play. I have sat for what seems like forever ( prob only minutes) but it def. add frustation for when you are killed by a bandit. cause you have to wait for another 5 mins. waiting for it to connect to server.

I don't see any point to playing in the dark. you can't see anything and unless you have nightvision googles you are as good as dead.

yeah' date=' IMO the day / night cycle should be about 2 or 3 hours ... when i play this game i generally play it for 4 or 5 hours in a row ... not 24 ... having a 2 or 3 hour day/night cycle (or something similar) would be so much better to allow people to experience both day and night

[/quote']

I like the 24h cycle but this does make sense when you consider how often your avatar needs to eat and drink in a 'day'.

the day/night cycle is fine. The night is too damn dark is the problem. I've been outside at night. Starlight lets you see at least basic shapes. Moonlight lets you see everything, but with decreased detail and no color.

The problem is that, in real life, you would spend most nights sleeping. A realistic passage of time would work great in a single player game where sleeping accelerates time. That way you could sleep through nights unless you needed to use the darkness. That doesn't really work for online multiplayer and no one wants to play a sleeping simulator.

I think the best solution would be to make the days last 4 hours and sync them up with prime time hours. So, dawn is at 6pm, dusk it 10pm. This way, most people will start playing during the day and end early in the night. This would be similar to the way real life works and it would be better for gameplay purposes.

Understand this thread was created when 99% of servers were on REAL TIME. Now, there are tons of servers that are running inverse time, or just shifted time schedules. The issue of overloaded daytime servers is a lot less problematic now.

Some servers are obviously running modified time schedules (i.e. it's 1pm in real life, in the server's time zone, but in game it's the middle of the night) so I don't see why more servers don't just invert it.

And, anyone saying nights are "realistically dark, it's a simulator you carebears," is a moron, who has clearly never left the city. Nights in DayZ are like being in a cave, with an absolute absence of light. Nights in real life, outside the city, can be dark, but I've NEVER, in decades of living in the country, backpacking, etc. seen a night as dark as what you find in DayZ, where you couldn't see you hand in front of your face.

well the thing is in RL your eye adjusts... so that could be added to the game... the longer you spend in the dark the better you can see but once you pop a flare your blinded big time just like in RL.....

I think theres a way round this problem without realism taking much of a hit (im someone who will generally play US servers when its night here in the UK). And thats simply having the servers run on a midsummer kind of night/day. In proper midsummer (in the uk at least!) theres probably only maybe 2-4 hours of full blown darkness at night. Either side of that theres a good few hours where its dusk/dawn, with a blue glow on the horizon that means you can still see a bit in front of your face, but not exactly much. Definitely not far into woodland or something. Would stick with the realism (again, definitely in the uk rain in the midsummer is far from unrealistic...) and I think take a lot of pressure off the servers. My two cents!

Regional constraints are not the solution. I would stop playing before I logged into a dark server.

Basically when nighttime hits that's it. I'm either not playing any more or I'm going to some Russian server with a terrible connection. It's really a shame. Night in this game is unforgiveable.

idk wtf is the problem with you ppl and nite time, you guys need to search for light polution and how it affect astronomy. in the event of a zombie apocalypse there would no longer be any artificial light sources (infrastructure wise atleast) good luck then. cuz the "nite" you experiance 500miles from any urban location is WAY brighter than what it should be or how it used to be back when there was no electricity.

so STFU and play the game, pitch darkness IS how it should be.

I actually love playing on night servers, it much much easyer to travel and it adds to the atmosphere

I don't play at night time anymore and I don't join daylight servers as they are just too busy to get into, I go and play something else.

@ Bellisarius

The problem with nights and this game is not being able to see the iron sights on a weapon, how am I supposed to survive against a sudden rush of zeds and take them down if I can't see the end of my weapon against the background, yes I could throw a flare in that position but that attracts bandits/survivors to my location so my only alternative is to open fire and use the muzzle flash and hope I hit them or light a flare and risk being shot when I've killed them.

It is too dark when you can't even see the iron sights on your weapon.

It's not the day/nights that sucks its the fact that the servers are always jam packed where ever its not dark...and right now there is nothing we can do about it :/ but add more servers in more time zones to alleviate the problem

I don't play at night time anymore and I don't join daylight servers as they are just too busy to get into' date=' I go and play something else.

@ Bellisarius

The problem with nights and this game is not being able to see the iron sights on a weapon, how am I supposed to survive against a sudden rush of zeds and take them down if I can't see the end of my weapon against the background, yes I could throw a flare in that position but that attracts bandits/survivors to my location so my only alternative is to open fire and use the muzzle flash and hope I hit them or light a flare and risk being shot when I've killed them.

[/quote']

yes i know its too dark but really if you are agroing zeds at nite your doing something wrong wether its day or night.

nite time is actually safer to enter cherno/eletro than day time because its so much easier to sneak around and avoid humans and zeds.

Iron sights? really? how long have you been playing the game? your doing somethign wrong AGAIN. ya its a sandbox game but when you are agroing zeds at the one time of the day when you can sneak up on zeds as close as 15 ft your doing something wrong.

When you still have not found a nato weapon with red dot sights or a soviet one with tritium sights, then your just waiting to be a casualty of the bean wars e.g your doing something wrong.

Iron sights? really? how long have you been playing the game? your doing somethign wrong AGAIN. ya its a sandbox game but when you are agroing zeds at the one time of the day when you can sneak up on zeds as close as 15 ft your doing something wrong.

When you still have not found a nato weapon with red dot sights or a soviet one with tritium sights' date=' then your just waiting to be a casualty of the bean wars e.g your doing something wrong.[/b']

The length of time I've played has nothing to do with it, if I get too close to a zed or misjudge the distance I can alert one or more, I then have to use a weapon as running around at night in pitch black is almost impossible without running into something or alerting more zeds/survivors/bandits. I take aim and can't see a thing because the iron sights are not visible against the background so I either have to light a flare or go prone and aim upwards, the latter is not so easy if I happen to have 4-5 chasing me.

I play the way I want and that's the beauty of this game, I don't need a flashy weapon to survive against another player, a simple pistol will kill in the right hands, granted, damage is limited over range but I've not had to pull the trigger once when facing another survivor and I've yet to meet even 1 bandit.

I play the way I want and that's the beauty of this game' date=' I don't need a flashy weapon to survive against another player, a simple pistol will kill in the right hands, granted, damage is limited over range but I've not had to pull the trigger once when facing another survivor and I've yet to meet even 1 bandit.

[/quote']

Then play how you want but dont go QQ on the forums cuz you cant see your sights, there are loot tables on the forum and tons of maps, there are even ppl who have posted how to get good equipment with pics and all.

Then play how you want but dont go QQ on the forums cuz you cant see your sights' date=' there are loot tables on the forum and tons of maps, there are even ppl who have posted how to get good equipment with pics and all.

[/quote']

Who's complaining? I'm stating the obvious and you only have to take a look at the threads here to see for some people it's not fun to play at night, that's the whole point of a game.

I choose not to use those maps/suggestions or whatever else has been posted, I prefer going into an area and not knowing what's there.

I'm sure it's not fun for some people to freeze and starve to death, or to get killed by other players or to get lost with no compass or map but these are essential features of the game and part of what makes it so successful. Also I play on north American servers and have no problems finding heavily populated night servers. That's just some bs people are using to support their silly complaints about playing at night. Also if you are playing on international servers to suit your 'playstyle' then shame on you. You're part of the problem

I'm sure it's not fun for some people to freeze and starve to death' date=' or to get killed by other players or to get lost with no compass or map but these are essential features of the game and part of what makes it so successful. Also I play on north American servers and have no problems finding heavily populated night servers. That's just some bs people are using to support their silly complaints about playing at night. Also if you are playing on international servers to suit your 'playstyle' then shame on you. You're part of the problem

[/quote']

I know right? This game isnt for everyone.

The problem with nights and this game is not being able to see the iron sights on a weapon' date=' how am I supposed to survive against a sudden rush of zeds and take them down if I can't see the end of my weapon against the background, yes I could throw a flare in that position but that attracts bandits/survivors to my location so my only alternative is to open fire and use the muzzle flash and hope I hit them or light a flare and risk being shot when I've killed them.

[/quote']

Then make light.

I'm sure it's not fun for some people to freeze and starve to death' date=' or to get killed by other players or to get lost with no compass or map but these are essential features of the game and part of what makes it so successful. Also I play on north American servers and have no problems finding heavily populated night servers. That's just some bs people are using to support their silly complaints about playing at night. Also if you are playing on international servers to suit your 'playstyle' then shame on you. You're part of the problem

[/quote']

Why can't people get their head around the fact that because of this, some people will ALWAYS be stuck playing at night. My work schedule only allows me to play when all the US servers are night.

A major part of the reason I like this game is the huge expanse of area that I can explore. Looking out over a 10km valley is very cool. That's one of the biggest factors for me to play DayZ, and it's something I don't get at night.

I have no problem with playing at night sometimes, but I'm missing 90% of the game by being forced to always play at night.

If anyones schedule allows them to play during day, they really have no room to talk because this issue does not affect them.

I didn't read through the entire post, mostly only the first page, but read about double speed cycles... This idea was interesting. On a game I play they have day/night cycles... 3 hour cycles. 2 hours day 1 hour night. makes for 8 day/night cycles in a 24 hour period. Could help with server overloading during non day times in certain areas.