justwrath

A Radical PVP Game Change? Take Sniper Rifles Out.

In my opinion its hard to believe a post apocalyptic world full of Tom Beringers in ghuillie suits filling up their days with dreams of 1 km kills as they lie dick in the dirt watching for lopsided pvp encounters. I personally think the pvp aspect of this game is incredibly fun and can be incredibly rewarding in scenarios that are a bit more believable in a situation like this.

If you made people get a bit more up close and personal in pvp encounters it would add to the tension and fun in my opinion, as well as negate much of the griefing that the new players complain about I will kill you without hesitation, but in doing so, you can at least rest assured i'm after what's on your body, not chasing the same rush a 10 year old gets from firing a spitball at the girl 3 rows over in class.

Its just a thought. I don't expect it to be a popular thought and I'm not even saying it necessarily should be done. I'm just wondering if anyone else has thought of this or what you think of it.

I'd lie to see people have to come to terms with how whiteknuckle they actually play this game when kitted up, maybe even shattering their false perception that they are some alpha warrior when in the end, they're just an asshole on the hill, avoiding risk.

disclaimer: i'd be lying if i said i haven't done the exact thing i'm talking about here, but in the end, we're all hypocrites.

remove zombies pls

for all intents and purposes, they aren't a factor now. but i suppose its to be expected to get a knee-jerk response, full of yesterday's bag of sarcasm. thinking is hard...oh darn. now i'm being sarcastic.

So, ima troll now:

"OMFG he hit me at 1km while I was standing still in the middle of a plain, HOW COULD THAT HAPPEN§§§"

Scan the hills, wait, find a thermal google weapon, don't be impatient... Seriously, don't blame other players for killing you while you stand in a perfect snipping spot

i also thought of it alrdy...

sniper rifles are awesome and rly cool, but otherwise its sometimes just kinda lame :/

i would also want to see, how the game would be without them, so people from behind can only spot enemys -> so they need to tell his friends where they are

and as long as the mod is on alpha-status, its the right time to test it... it would probably give the game more tension

I have a feeling that both sniper rifles and ghillie suits will be gone from the final version. If rocket really wants to stop this from becoming an FFA DM game he's going to have to remove those aspects of the game that make PvP too easy and inconsequential. I'd say sniper rifles and ghillie suits are some of those things.

If rocket really wants to stop this from becoming an FFA DM game he's going to have to remove those aspects of the game that make PvP too easy and inconsequential. I'd say sniper rifles and ghillie suits are some of those things.

Why do you think PvP is too easy and inconsequential? It's not like you get your gear back or anything. I can imagine a scenario in IRL where someone gets shot by a hunting rifle that can be found in EVERY American barn/house. Btw I think all the rednecks would take the big-ass snipers.

Rocket is trying to create an authentic experience which provokes decisions and human emotions. The decision to walk through the field or the treeline and the frustration when you get gunned down in aforementioned field is exactly what he's going for.

So' date=' ima troll now:

"OMFG he hit me at 1km while I was standing still in the middle of a plain, HOW COULD THAT HAPPEN§§§"

Scan the hills, wait, find a thermal google weapon, don't be impatient... Seriously, don't blame other players for killing you while you stand in a perfect snipping spot

[/quote']

Don't assume I'm getting killed by snipers. i'm not. this is what you call a hypothetical, in which i use my brainpower to think what might be interesting and ratchet up the intensity.

as for your suggestions.

scan hills: completely immobile. great idea!

find thermal weapon: shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.. why didn't i think of that. they're basically growing on trees. thank you.

don't be impatient: sage advice.

don't stand still: contradicts prior advice.

You can go ahead and check my post history, but i'm not in the habit of venting on these forums after i get killed, and this isn't the case here. Hell i'm not even saying that DayZ shouldn't remain the civilian sniping simulator that people tend to turn it into. like i said. its quite the rush shooting an immobile target with a zeroed weapon. I'm with you. the constant threat you're under in these situations from rabbit bites can be almost unbearable. rabies man. scary shit.

shrubs dont render at long distances so its not that hard to see ghille snipers when they are far away, just check the good vantage points with binoculars before you move on a point..

i also thought of it alrdy...

sniper rifles are awesome and rly cool' date=' but otherwise its sometimes just kinda lame :/

i would also want to see, how the game would be without them, so people from behind can only spot enemys -> so they need to tell his friends where they are

and as long as the mod is on alpha-status, its the right time to test it... it would probably give the game more tension

[/quote']

I'm not sure how to react to an open minded and rational person on the internet. you scare me. I would have been much more comfortable with a knee-jerk reaction assuming i'm getting killed constantly and want the game to be easier for me personally.

But then what will all the XxXUSMC5N1P3rGh05tw4rr10r5XxX players use for masturbation material?

shrubs dont render at long distances so its not that hard to see ghille snipers when they are far away' date=' just check the good vantage points with binoculars before you move on a point..

[/quote']

the snipers realize this and sit under trees...at least i do when i do snipe. i'm just not going to accept an easy to spot response that negates the probability of server hopping snipers. i could scan for 4 hours, bring in the dogs, have a 100 man search party, and 30 seconds after its over xxsupersniper420ninjaxx spawns in in his ready made spot, steely eyed and ready for a 1 on 0 confrontation to add to his collection of ears around his neck.

I don't need advice brah. was just a thought. It got the reaction i expected for the most part, and merely confirmed that this mod is nothing more than a sniper simulator once kitted up. neither good or bad, just is.

I can't expect people to actually want to put themselves in harms way.

or maybe just a cz.

that could work. civilian hunting rifle. a bit less silly than anti-material 50 cals.

Stop playing how I don't want you to play.

I like men.

that works pretty good. thanks.

Sniper rifles should be removed, FOR TEST PURPOSES, it is in alpha after-all and if it means that there will be even a 5% decrease in PVP killings then i say keep it like that.

Screw that' date=' sniper rifles aren't just a PVP tool

[/quote']

Really ?

I have a sniper rifle but I only use it for PvP, which other use could it have ? Replacing the Binoculars ? :D

Screw that' date=' sniper rifles aren't just a PVP tool

[/quote']

Really ?

I have a sniper rifle but I only use it for PvP, which other use could it have ? Replacing the Binoculars ? :D

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels a further explanation is owed on this one.

In my opinion its hard to believe a post apocalyptic world full of Tom Beringers in ghuillie suits filling up their days with dreams of 1 km kills as they lie dick in the dirt watching for lopsided pvp encounters. I personally think the pvp aspect of this game is incredibly fun and can be incredibly rewarding in scenarios that are a bit more believable in a situation like this.

If you made people get a bit more up close and personal in pvp encounters it would add to the tension and fun in my opinion' date=' as well as negate much of the griefing that the new players complain about I will kill you without hesitation, but in doing so, you can at least rest assured i'm after what's on your body, not chasing the same rush a 10 year old gets from firing a spitball at the girl 3 rows over in class.

Its just a thought. I don't expect it to be a popular thought and I'm not even saying it necessarily should be done. I'm just wondering if anyone else has thought of this or what you think of it.

I'd lie to see people have to come to terms with how whiteknuckle they actually play this game when kitted up, maybe even shattering their false perception that they are some alpha warrior when in the end, they're just an asshole on the hill, avoiding risk.

disclaimer: i'd be lying if i said i haven't done the exact thing i'm talking about here, but in the end, we're all hypocrites.

[/quote']

It is so simple to avoid and even flank snipers. What are you talking about?

Sniping is a part of pvp.. if not with sniper/hunting rifles then you'll get hit from 25 yards with a crossbow... yes it happens. Want to see believable? try trespassing anywhere in the Southern part of the US. If you don't get your behind peppered with rocksalt(from the nicer folks) then your going to get sniped with a deer rifle.( Just because the shot misses doesn't mean its a miss.. some good ol' boy is laughing hysterically while his buddy is saying "Do it again Bubba!") Just because you find it hard to believe doesn't mean it is beyond the realm of realism. So please don't start with the realism aspects of the game. It's game about the zombie apocalypse.. that's believable?

If you made people get a bit more up close and personal in pvp encounters it would add to the tension and fun in my opinion' date=' as well as negate much of the griefing that the new players complain about I will kill you without hesitation, but in doing so, you can at least rest assured i'm after what's on your body, not chasing the same rush a 10 year old gets from firing a spitball at the girl 3 rows over in class.

Its just a thought. I don't expect it to be a popular thought and I'm not even saying it necessarily should be done. I'm just wondering if anyone else has thought of this or what you think of it. [/quote']

Dont get me wrong, I like the idea of more up close and personal conflict. Just not at the expense of sniper/hunting rifles. They are not the reason or the cause of new player/new respawn griefing. Getting rid of them wont help at all. What will? I really have no clue but in my opinion, removing the kill counters may help some. It will discourage those that are just here to keep score. Hopefully the info in the devbug window wont be in the final version of the game.

I'd lie to see people have to come to terms with how whiteknuckle they actually play this game when kitted up' date=' maybe even shattering their false perception that they are some alpha warrior when in the end, they're just an asshole on the hill, avoiding risk.

[/quote']

Even the assholes on the hill had to risk themselves to find said sniper rifle and keep risking themselves to find ammo, food, and water, just like the rest of us.

In short, removing a weapon from the game will do nothing, but yes! Do ad more options for up close combat.

I honestly wouldn't mind if they took snipers out. I'd prefer however if they severely reduced the spawn chance of them, or even keep just the CZ in the game.

How many times does Rocket have to say this? He's not going for game balance. He's going for an "anti-game" like experience that is based solely off what you'd come to expect from real life. Do you know how many rifles with scopes their are in the world? Take my remington 700 .308 that I use for deer hunting. That gun can shoot 800 yards if I wanted it too. It's basically the same round found in most popular american sniper rifles minus the .50 calibers and the remington 700 is pretty much what the M40A3 is based from.

Every RPG out there is all about balancing this, while balancing that, because some people don't like aspects of the game that the developer has his heart set on keeping apart of it. Then the game shifts and goes through massive changes, people cry, people jump for joy, and people always end up leaving. I'm telling you now, more people will leave this game if you take out an entire group of weapons, then the amount of people who would join it and be regular players due to hearing about such a change.

This isn't about balance. It's about war, realism, survival, and being able to think fast and long ahead. Maybe you aren't doing one of those things, because I sure as hell do not get sniped as much as some people claim, and I spend almost every day that I play in an area where people only go for the purpose of killing each other, ESPECIALLY with sniper rifles.

I agree I would like to see this. Personally I find sniping to be extremely boring. All I do now is mostly run around in chern and electro with a hatchet or pistol screaming at anyone I see trying to kill them either with my zombie train or close range with the hatchet and pistol. All the while screaming like a lil girl of course. Long range fights are dull, dull, dull.