Sign in to follow this  
Pyongo Bongo

@Kyiara Please answer this question about Books :)

Hello! A question that has been on many player's mind is: Why were books removed?

And will they ever come back?

Since it was a beloved feature and we have no explanation to why it was removed or if it could ever come back could Kyiara please help us out here? 🙂

For context:

Spoiler

There were a hundred or so FULL books from real life you could read completely.

Like moby dick, Faust MULTIPLE versions of the bible and at least a hundred more.

All with their original real life covers.

In different languages. There was even a russian language / cyrillic reading explanation book.

People simply read them while playing, used the russian cheat sheet book to read town signs, held cermons in church reading from the bible and often people were forced to read a story from a book otherwise they would get shot xD

Ontop of that you could rip empty pages out of books to use as notes you could write with pen and paper.

Books were also usable as fuel for fire.

People often asked why this is no longer in game and we never got a response as far as I know.

They were from a databank of books of which the copyright had expired I have heard, so copyright is not the reason?

I suspect that they didnt want to get in copyright trouble but I really would like an explanation, hopefully: "Yes we will add them back soon!" 🙂

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

i would love to see a return of the books too.

they had this book cover contest, which gave me a bit of hope that theres something in the pipeline.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Idk that might be the same like PM RAK (smg) used to be but still not working, same as Red 9 (Mauser C96) in games files but not working, Ikarus (bus), 2 more versions of V3S (aka M3S), Truck_02 (Kamaz, also know as Zamak), Van_01, dang it tonns items and without configs and etc.

For me it's a good news that M14 aka DMR is in game (test branch yet) but I've got a feeling that 1.5 or 2 developers is working over the game everyone others are busy with A3, ARef and some latest Bohemia projects.

• Like 1

I *think* the books were removed because of intellectual property rights , although I would imagine some of them are open. 

I did enjoy that  but as a work around maybe the community could write stories for dayz or some lore that has been codified in the books that appear in the story of Chenarus or livonia. 

just food for thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Salem's Cave said:

I *think* the books were removed because of intellectual property rights , although I would imagine some of them are open. 

I did enjoy that  but as a work around maybe the community could write stories for dayz or some lore that has been codified in the books that appear in the story of Chenarus or livonia. 

just food for thought.

Quite fair, nevertheless in workshop there's some mods that allows server owners make books readable. But will it be so neededBut will it be so needed for game community and other folks who plays alone around?

Maybe this is a good idea for a next contest? Write stories related ot the Chernarus or Livonia and bringthem in to the game 😃 

Lore about the Yellow King’s and Hannah's tales would be epic.

Some classics novels most-likely don’t need IP clearance because there’s no ownership anymore, books like that should return.

Journals with crafting recipes and illustrations would be helpful for new players, reference Red Dead Online’s crafting pamphlets.

On 10/6/2023 at 6:46 PM, Pyongo Bongo said:

Why were books removed?

My guess, they never re-implemented the Book interface after the engine switch. It was probably low on the priority list compared to the other issues/features.

I assume we'll get them because they DID have the book contest. I wonder if we'll get all the old books or just the ones that won the contest or if they'll be readable at all or just a source of paper for starting fires.
I don't see much reasons to have them, but I'm not against them either. Indifferent.

Edited by DefectiveWater

Hi, to be honest, I don't remember what the reason was anymore (I wasn"t even part of the team when it happened), I know there were some issues with them, but I have no details on it.
As far as I am aware, there is no plan to have the books back in the game (at least the way they worked), perhaps maybe as a decoration (as per our contest) but once again, I have not seen the plans for the next year yet. And even If I would have, I could not share them till they are final and official anyway...
All I can do is to bring that topic up and see If the team can think of some book feature. But the way they used to work - that is a no, sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/11/2023 at 3:56 PM, Salem's Cave said:

just food for thought.

There are more than enough books in public domain, same as the few paintings hung in homes, thus copyright is not an issue. My best guess is that they were a source of paper and back in the day you could write notes on paper. This mechanic is now gone. 

I’d like to see at least some of them return, it was cool that players could actually read an entire book in-game. Perfect for when it’s down pouring and nighttime, a survivor could take shelter, fire up a gas lamp & read.

Edited by WOLVERlNES
  • Beans 1