Stalker z Czarnobyla

Small change to base building

As the title suggests, I'd change a bit about the way people build bases.

Normally players have to set up a new fence kit to barricade windows, so that noone gets to peek into what the base has and this results in a bit of material wasted on covering walls, which are unpassable anyway.

My idea is to allow planks to be nailed into the walls (they'd be set up similarly, how storage like oil barrels and crates are now placed), so that players would use less materials (especially nails) with the same result.

• Like 2

Yes, let's encourage more people to block off buildings with their bases, so they can not only screw up the loot economy even more by hoarding but also prevent others from finding that can of beans they desperately need. 

I'm generally against people building their bases indoors, but it's there and while I don't feel like it should be removed I also feel like if you want to hide what's in your base so much you should have to put the work in. 

Edited by General Zod
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

@General Zod I agree with your sentiments relating to the adverse affects of the loot economy from occupying traditional buildings, but as a base-builder myself, fortification of existing in-game structures is the best way to both conceal a base and limit its breach-points.

If a survivor or group of survivors build a free-standing base it’s much easier to raid, pure and simple.

In addition, it takes far less resources to fortify an existing building than to erect a free-standing compound.

Base Building definitely needs expansion and improvement, so I’m all for OP.

I try to be aware of how my bases affect loot economy and don’t build in structures that support valuable loot such as weapons or medical supplies for instance.

• Confused 1

On 4/22/2023 at 5:26 PM, General Zod said:

Yes, let's encourage more people to block off buildings with their bases, so they can not only screw up the loot economy even more by hoarding but also prevent others from finding that can of beans they desperately need. 

I'm generally against people building their bases indoors, but it's there and while I don't feel like it should be removed I also feel like if you want to hide what's in your base so much you should have to put the work in. 

Oh the irony, a guy who hates base building playing a game that has base building as an integral feature.

• Like 1

Society has collapsed.  Thousands of vacant structures now exist. Why would anyone build a base in the middle of nowhere?  Completely unauthentic. 

The only reason not to build upon an existing structure is because of development/programming excuses. 

• Like 1

But do you really believe that the lack of a few cans of beans or a few jackets/trousers can really "ruin" a server's economy? Come on, we're not kidding. And even if it was... honestly... when it comes to "surviving" who cares. The next player will go to the next building and "good luck" - that's DayZ too.
In my opinion though, the real reason NOT to use a building as a base is that they raid it right away. There is no "isolated" building or construction that, sooner or later, is not visited (I don't think there is a player with more than 30/40 hours who does not know/use iZurvive), and as soon as it is found, the hours are counted.
And after being raided you will no longer have peace because, from time to time, they will certainly return, if only out of curiosity. And if they see it rebuilt, it will be another raid. Assuming that the first time raider was "compassionate" and only stole what he needed. Once they scientifically disassembled everything for me, boards and nails included (probably recycled for another base).
Or, as I've seen in some videos on YT, use one of those industrial sheds and make a real "fence maze" at the entrance. It makes the work of raiding very difficult (if done honestly, of course), but it generates recovery and "battle" work that can only be done by a large clan, definitely not lone or a few people. And, in any case... in my opinion... it's not the real fun of DayZ...
For this I think these programmers should make the placement of fences, turrets, tents, etc. much more tolerant of obstacles and, above all, of the roughness and unevenness of the terrain, so that they can be used inside the woods, which are the best places (if chosen wisely) to build hidden bases.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2023 at 4:35 PM, wraithgb said:

Oh the irony, a guy who hates base building playing a game that has base building as an integral feature.

Hardly integral considering how basic it is. Both to build and to demolish. 

On 4/22/2023 at 4:23 PM, Stalker z Czarnobyla said:

As the title suggests, I'd change a bit about the way people build bases.

Normally players have to set up a new fence kit to barricade windows, so that noone gets to peek into what the base has and this results in a bit of material wasted on covering walls, which are unpassable anyway.

My idea is to allow planks to be nailed into the walls (they'd be set up similarly, how storage like oil barrels and crates are now placed), so that players would use less materials (especially nails) with the same result.

Yes, please add board up the windows and doors, we very need it.  Now base building is shit.

I see base building as a point of interest for others. As @Riddick_2K suggest players will return frequently to nosy about or raid creating opportunities to interact with other players which when success is on your side is the most exhilarating part of dayz! Also I do like rebuilding as quickly as possible with stashed building supplies so other players know that this place is occupied and owned. Move along now…

• Like 1