Kyiara

1.18 Experimental Release

Greetings, survivors!

A month has passed since we released update 1.17. Those of you who read the corresponding article we published know that we’ve already been hard at work on the next update. Well, we’re excited to announce that the experimental build of update 1.18 is now live on Steam and Xbox. We’ve got a lot of new tools to discuss this time around, so let’s get to it!

Read the full article here.

PC changelog

Xbox changelog

• Like 3
  • Beans 1

Great. Are you fixing the problem with hackers on official PC servers ?

Can you guys please consider the markers above our heads on xbox also I love the grenade launcher love you guys and keep up the good effort

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Great cannot wait to trial, loving where the direction is going. Great job so far. However will we see more building capabilities eg: doors,windows gun cabinets more storage options more decorative loot to customise interior of base wall art, catpet beds.

• Like 1

I don't think the ps is ready for new weapons like this. The duping of these weapons will further weaken the already under strength base defences. Please concentrate on players using in game items to glitch through walls, under mapping & duping. Then you can concentrate on upgrading weaponry. Sorry for negative post, but it needs ro be said 

• Thanks 1

Hi, guys. Server not avalible DayZ EU - DE 3536 (Experimental/Unstable)

Of course, this is all cool, but I have one question why stacks of boards no longer spawn in industrial zones !! I went around 3 industrial zones and found only one pile of boards! I waited for a very long time but they never spawned. This is fine?

Some great work on new content with this patch, but can we get some attention to the following engine-side issues before we enter final QA?

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T164404
https://feedback.bistudio.com/T164508
https://feedback.bistudio.com/T164529
https://feedback.bistudio.com/T164531

Would be a shame if these issues persisted through another patch cycle.

Edited by michaeldcullen
  • Thanks 1

Hey all, perhaps this has already been answered but will 1.18 require a server wipe for PS? Thank you in advance for your input.

2 minutes ago, Kyslik said:

Not even one official experimental server works?

why?

Servers kept crashing from what I know, they'll work on a fix urgently today. Stay tuned, for up to date info best to check out DayZ twitter.

To bad the Devs couldn't give us back the INIT files for console, stop using the excuse that console wouldn't handle it because we already had access to these files & guess what it was working out just fine.
There's a ton of room for progress if The Devs would just give us the option to help improve private servers.
More transportation options & base building options is a big key here, DayZ could have more traffic to the game if we could just have these better options.
All this other game developing companies are using what we asked for years now and we're losing players because of these newer games using exactly what we've asked to be able to use here in DayZ.   

1 hour ago, xTRUCKERx said:

All this other game developing companies are using what we asked for years now and we're losing players because of these newer games using exactly what we've asked to be able to use here in DayZ.   

sorry, but this made me laugh.

More new features and toys are great, but how will this update help address many issues private, unofficial server administrators are experiencing? What is Bohemia Interactive doing to work on this and how does this update help us? Specifically I'd like to know what Bohemia Interactive is planning on doing regarding the following:

1. The DayZ server daemon is not properly multi-threaded and does not take full advantage of multi-core processors, resulting in abysmal tick rates the higher the server population goes. I have a dual Intel Xeon 6 core server with 196GB RAM and 3.2TB of PCI-E enterprise storage and I get better tick rates running the daemon on a desktop box with a slightly newer CPU because of a higher single-core performance. Multi-threading is not a new technology and I'll admit I'm somewhat baffled by the lack of this very basic concept in the architecture of the DayZ server daemon.
  2. The DayZ server daemon tends to freak out whenever someone is connecting to the server or when someone's game client crashes (access violations, heap corruption, etc..), or when you approach an area populated with player bases. This manifests as terrible desynchronization for players that are still online. Vehicles will start jumping around and clipping through the map, in some cases completely falling through the map and are lost. At some point, I think server side vehicle implementation may have been an idea thought up to counter hackers on official servers, but for those of us server admins who are actively playing or (in my case) simply providing a sandbox for a select few, trusted players to explore and have fun in, we should be given the choice to have client-side authoritative vehicles. At this point, a single Sarka is more deadly than a horde of zombies. I'm directly connected via hardwired Gigabit ethernet to the actual server and I get desynchronizations and will even get kicked for "unstable connection".
  3. DayZ has a problem respecting UDP packet size as it relates to Maximum Transmittable Unit (MTU). I've seen more than a few UDP packets being fragmented because the DayZ daemon is chunking out UDP packets larger than 1500. In the world of UDP datagrams, there is no re-transmit of packets that are fragmented, they are simply thrown out.This is especially noticeable when people are crashing or are connecting to the server and this even happens to me when I'm directly connected via hardwired Gigabit ethernet to the same LAN as the server.
  4. We really need a stable, GA release of the Linux daemon for DayZ. It should not be locked up behind the "experimental" branch anymore. Windows is a terrible OS for anything server related. Hell, even Microsoft doesn't use their own OS for a lot of their hosted services. I don't want to have to run Windows just to run DayZ and I should not be forced to use DayZ Experimental just to run a Linux daemon.
  5. The DayZ server dameon and workshop items for DayZ should be able to be downloaded with steamcmd using anonymous login. It's dumb to require an actual account with DayZ purchased to download the binaries from Steam using steamcmd. People who haven't bought the game aren't going to be downloading the server daemon and this requirement effectively blocks attempts to automate the installation and maintenance of DayZ, especially for people who are using SteamGuard on their accounts. I should not have to create a secondary Steam account and buy something of $10 or more just to be able to automate DayZ server maintenance.
  6. Implementing workshop items (mods, etc...) is a needlessly complex process consisting of a significant number of manual steps. I run an ARK: Survival Evolved server as well, on Linux, and all I have to do here is to deploy with arkmanager and give it a CSV list of Steam mod IDs to deploy. It takes me mere moments to update mods for ARK. I've even automated the entire process of ARK deployment with Ansible. I can't do anything of the sort with DayZ Server.

I know this will probably go largely unanswered or just outright ignored, but in the event this post somehow gets noticed and the planets have aligned in just the right position as to merit a response from Bohemia, I'd like to see a detailed response to each of the bullet points above. Preferably something more than just a simple "We're working on it" with no actual details on what's being done and no approximate time frames we can expect to see them addressed or even acknowledged. Because while we're having fun playing the game, I'm actively steering additional members of my clan from jumping into the DayZ pool and buying the game until there's a Steam sale where they can pick the game up for cheap, simply because of the problems above.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Ceseuron said:

DayZ has a problem respecting UDP packet size as it relates to Maximum Transmittable Unit (MTU). I've seen more than a few UDP packets being fragmented because the DayZ daemon is chunking out UDP packets larger than 1500. In the world of UDP datagrams, there is no re-transmit of packets that are fragmented, they are simply thrown out.This is especially noticeable when people are crashing or are connecting to the server and this even happens to me when I'm directly connected via hardwired Gigabit ethernet to the same LAN as the server.

This confirms my suspicion that the developers of BI, who are responsible for the network part, lack the basic understanding of TCP/IP.

The same drama is currently seen in Arma Reforger. Where the majority of players are constantly kicked out of the multiplayer sessions.

The only reaction for years on the part of BI is to fiddle while Rome burns, instead of hiring a developer who understands the absolute basics of TCP/IP.

• Beans 1

Hello, after this game update 1.18 I can't open the, when clicking to open Dayz from the black screen, after a while of the error and blue screen, I already reinstalled, cleared cache, disk arrival, unfirewall, and the problem persists , that's how it fixed patch 1.18

On 5/21/2022 at 12:51 AM, wildzero said:

This confirms my suspicion that the developers of BI, who are responsible for the network part, lack the basic understanding of TCP/IP.

The same drama is currently seen in Arma Reforger. Where the majority of players are constantly kicked out of the multiplayer sessions.

The only reaction for years on the part of BI is to fiddle while Rome burns, instead of hiring a developer who understands the absolute basics of TCP/IP.

The code for MTU detection is *in* the engine, just disabled by default. They just need to uncomment a define lol.

I'm not holding my breath for a response or even acknowledgement from Bohemia on any of the issues I've posted so I'm just advising my players that we'll just have to deal with the vehicle desyncs and instability, chalking it up to lack of developer competence and refusal to acknowledge or address these issues. As it's just a small, trusted group of us playing in a PVE scenario, I've basically tried to mod around some of the problems (e.g. disabling all vehicle damage so my players don't get assassinated by their Sarkas) and just doing what I can from an admin perspective to refund losses and get folks unstuck from their predicaments as they arise while steering other members of our clan clear of the game entirely if they aren't prepared to accept that they're going to be purchasing a product that is effectively broken out of the box.

It's the same issue of prioritization that plagues every software development company, from games to business applications. If you can dazzle your customers with new features they probably don't even need then it's better to focus all your development efforts on that and just hope all the shiny, sparkly bits you're touting with every new release can hide the underlying issues and keep your customers distracted. Fixing bugs, improving your existing codebase, and releasing maintenance updates to correct glaring issues with your product that don't add any new features isn't nearly as glamorous. I'm also very curious how Bohemia expects these new "dynamic events" in 1.18 to pan out when they haven't even implemented proper multithreading within the server daemon itself. All the simulation for physics calculation, player positions, and vehicles is server-authoritative and they're already flogging a single core pretty hard as it is. Adding even more work of dynamic events without bothering to utilize more cores on the server seems a recipe for more failure.

• Thanks 1

Please keep the ability to remap or clear out the key bindings on the controller, I notice that was taken away.

Can we please get the server files on steam updated to the game client version please, they're kinda useless one version behind.

And add the fucking helicopter you promised.

• Haha 1

well, I haven't seen anything on the fact that the ability to remap or change the controller configuration has been taken away with the new update. I lack the ability to straighten out my left hand. I use a xbox controller and a mouse combo and a little of keyboard with my right hand. if you take away the ability that the game has currently to remap a controller, this will force me out. i hope someone sees this. if not, it was fun

Your updates are very cool, but I think every game player wants there to be no bugs in the game. New content is cool, but everyone really wants to play without bugs, I'm saying this in all seriousness now. We really hope that in the next 1.19 you will not work on new content, but fix the old one, more precisely, spend more time on fixing bugs. Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the new grenade launcher is too overpowered and should be restricted to what it's meant to shoot at 75 meters I shot this on experimental and with a range finder can shoot up to a 150 meters need toning down needs to be 75m but it shooting stupidly far

From the point of view of a base builder.  You can take the grenade launcher and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.  Base building is now nothing but a joke.  The GL has destroyed what little game balance was there. 

Edited by drstone104
  • Like 1