kumando

So is this is now just another generic shooter?

With the latest changes in the food system introduced by patch 1.15, you can now run for hours without worrying about food and since there is food spawning in so many houses and zombies, what is the point of survival now? At least the devs should have reduced the food spawns and make you depend more on hunting, fishing, horticulture (these mechanics are completly uselss now) i dont like the direction this game is going lately, its turning away from survival heading more towardsto just another pvp shooter with some survival mechanics, what do you guys think?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, kumando said:

At least the devs should have reduced the food spawns and make you depend more on hunting, fishing, horticulture

Agreed.

I like the change to food system in 1.15, maybe make starving a bit quicker but the fact that food is everywhere... kills the point of the game.

• Sad 1

Exactly, food is overly abundant. I thought this was shtf... Also, too many guns. You lose that sense of accomplishment when the loot is remarkably common. 

• Sad 1
  • Beans 1

It's been going the way of PvP for years. You might as well get used to it.

The simple fact is that after you find a knife and a few chickens, you never have to worry about food ever again and the cold ceases to be a problem once you get some decent clothes together. So there ends up being nothing else to do for most people and they turn to PvP. There's also the problem of the more stupider side of the DayZ "community" who only ever saw the game as just another FPS, because pew pew is all they have ever done in any game.

I've pretty much confined myself to Esseker lately, because it does away with all the pretence of what DayZ was supposed to be on the likes of Chernarus. Esseker is just a small PvP map so you don't waste your time trying to play the game any other way. Most people find a gun, any gun, and then go looking for someone to shoot at...rinse repeat.

The new map, Banov, is the largest map in the game and great for exploring. But north of the main city it's practically empty, because everyone is in the large town trying to kill each other.

• Sad 1

You are talking about another game, NOT DayZ. Food is NOT that common! And with this latest patch you are even hungrier than before, which is absurd and grotesque.
The problem with "pew pew pew" is because they keep adding weapons taken from ArmA (which is easy and of little work) and they don't add "survival" things: all constructions with skins (jackets, pants, belts...), the arches, make it more and more difficult to build fences and place tents in the woods and instead make it easier and easier to destroy them.
There are few vehicles and they don't work never.
And many other things...
ALL this, coupled with the fact that so many players are looking for the fight as if it were the only source of fun (and these programmers favor this idea) and this is how DayZ is becoming, patch after patch, more and more a stupid FPS of war.

Edited by Riddick_2K

12 minutes ago, Riddick_2K said:

Food is NOT that common

Food is literally everywhere, and if you don't have food, then kill some zombies, they are bound to have some.

The problem with "pew pew pew" is because they keep adding weapons taken from ArmA (which is easy and of little work) and they don't add "survival" things

Thing is... I think they need to add "end game stuff" first, like good guns and stuff to make players motivated and have a reason to keep looting and playing.
Survival things like craftable clothes and bows and that stuff will be ditched by 99% of the players when they find Hunting clothes and Mosins/Tundras.

Hopefully in 2022 we get more survival things though, more civilian guns, and all this would fit nicely to the upcoming Livonia update.

And with this latest patch you are even hungrier than before, which is absurd and grotesque.

I don't think you are hungrier, I think they only changed the indicator. It's still the same value... at least I think so. I'm not 100% sure.

Edited by DefectiveWater

11 minutes ago, DefectiveWater said:

Food is literally everywhere, and if you don't have food, then kill some zombies, they are bound to have some.

Where do you play? Not on vanilla servers.
On vanilla servers you can only find food if no one has been there before, as long as someone is born just before you and you can't find anything. Loot is static NOT dynamic. it's always the same you have to share it with others.
And the infected rarely have food.
The only way to avoid dying as a newborn and being born on an empty server.
If you are already equipped and inside, animals are not that common either. The only real possibility is:
*) if you have time to waste, grow pumpkins (the only ones that satiate you a little) but you have to have more than an hour to lose and you can't go away to do anything else, that the plants rot and disappear in 2 hours (even on Mars it doesn't work like this, other than realism!)
*) if you don't have much time, but you have water nearby, you can fish ... but you must have the equipment to throw away, because it wears out as if you were using it in a foundry to cast steel, not for fishing. And you have to cook, if you don't have the vitamin pills (bad system NOT realistic, too "stupid-arcade", this one) and to mount the worms you have to take everything apart and put it back together ... an idiotic system, probably done because unable to do it differently and more realistic.
Even cooking, after all, is unrealistic, when you have to get up every time you change steak.
It's all very stupid and badly done... but at least you eat ...
But it is absurd that you can eat a whole cow (if you find it) and be hungry the next day.
It's all very very stupid, other than "arcade". Giving DayZ some "arcade" would be a compliment!

Thing is... I think they need to add "end game stuff" first, like good guns and stuff to make players motivated and have a reason to keep looting and playing.
Survival things like craftable clothes and bows and that stuff will be ditched by 99% of the players when they find Hunting clothes and Mosins/Tundras.

Hopefully in 2022 we get more survival things though, more civilian guns, and all this would fit nicely to the upcoming Livonia update.

But what other weapons should they put into a survival game? The tanks?!? This game already has too many weapons and absurdly useless.
The motivation should be to "survive the pandemic", or to change the game.
I have the whole Battlefield series too, but it's another game. There I go to kill people, it's a war, that's the game.
In DayZ NO! In DayZ it's about surviving the infected and deprivation of skipped society, not exterminating each other among "bored players". If someone "gets bored" trying to survive, let them change their game.
This should be the direction of the game, in my opinion, NOT what I see these programmers have.
Indeed, to be honest, I fear that they do NOT have a "precise direction", but they travel on sight (depending on the mood of the market) and how they "be able" (they try to repair what they can: very little I see.)
What I don't understand are the absurd deliberate choices (fences and tents impossible to assemble, backpacks to be emptied to store, put "special" items and then make them impossible to find for the many, but giving it away to a lucky few and cheaters, etc), they seem to hate the game or the players.
And about the leather jackets: I don't know if WikiDayz is right or not, but look at the characteristics of the various jackets. Even if you are not a "survival enthusiast" like me and you are "proud" to get yourself the leather jacket ... look at the weight, waterproofness, heat, storage space and additional slots and compare it with the others jackets. They are not to be thrown away, on the contrary. And colored in dark brown it is also quite camouflage. Not trying to kill my neighbor, for me, the military camo is just an "aesthetic whim" (as an old militaria collector and I still use camo or green military clothing in RL)

I don't think you are hungrier, I think they only changed the indicator. It's still the same value... at least I think so. I'm not 100% sure.

What has certainly changed is the symbol of the stomach (with the 3 arrows upwards) which arrives earlier and remains more time before being able to eat again. It takes you a lot longer to get your fill. But it seems to me that even after eating the maximum (with the single arrows alternating up and down... and the stomach symbol) it takes less time than once before you see the apple empty and have to eat again. And after that you can eat a whole cow and a few wolves again, to be full again. Forcing continuous eating, as well as being very stupid and completely unrealistic, will NOT make most people abandon "pew pew pew". The "problem" of "pew pew pew" is much more complex and articulated, and given how the "quality" of the various patches is going, I don't think it will ever be "solved", on the contrary it will get worse and worse. Get ready to call this game "BattleDayZ" or "Call Of DayZ"

7 minutes ago, Riddick_2K said:

Where do you play? Not on vanilla servers.

Spaggies vanilla servers.

8 minutes ago, Riddick_2K said:

But what other weapons should they put into a survival game? The tanks?!? This game already has too many weapons and absurdly useless.

You missed my point. I didn't say they need to add more "end game guns", I just said what their reasoning behind adding so many military weapons might be.
You need a "goal" for players, and that "goal" are the good weapons (AUG, AS VAL, M16...).

6 minutes ago, DefectiveWater said:

Spaggies vanilla servers.

Has the loot modified?

6 minutes ago, DefectiveWater said:

You missed my point. I didn't say they need to add more "end game guns", I just said what their reasoning behind adding so many military weapons might be.
You need a "goal" for players, and that "goal" are the good weapons (AUG, AS VAL, M16...). 

But you can't think that the whole purpose of this game is ONLY to get some special weapon ... And after that? Use it to kill someone?
DayZ is so much more, or at least it should be.
And all the context that revolves around (infected, destroyed society, etc.) this is the game. If not really, it's best to play BF or CoD.
Then M16 is crap, much better an M4, just to say.
But in DayZ, even a FAL or a VSD, are useless and out of context weapons. If they disappeared, the "real" game would not change. It's not (or at least it shouldn't be) a War FPS.
It is precisely adding these useless weapons and making them "a hard target" that makes this game stupid and literally "wastes" all of its great "survival" potential.
But that's just my point of view, of course.

And an addition that I forgot before.
The hunter jacket can be found in campsites and hunter turrets, it is quite common, a leather jacket you have to build with other materials to find, after killing some animals, it is more difficult to have. Nobody will have a leather jacket before a hunter's one. And the leather one is better than the hunter's one, it has 1 more HotBar slot and absorbs less.
This would be the way to "favor" the "survival" ... allow the construction in leather and make it better than the best "industrial" jacket (as characteristics)

I like Namalsk survival server where the food is rare and you need to unfreeze it. You spawn cold and get colder fast. Ignore your stats and die quick. A bit annoying to get started. But it just felt like what DayZ should be like.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Riddick_2K said:

Food is NOT that common!

There are animals all over the place. You can't walk 100 yards without hearing a chicken.

Get a knife...a stone knife will do and you have everything you need for killing chickens, gathering wood and cooking the food. It really isn't that difficult.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Beans 1

10 hours ago, Riddick_2K said:

DayZ is so much more, or at least it should be.

I agree with you on that, but for majority of players good loot is the goal. Now that they added a bunch of guns they can keep expanding the early game and mid game stuff.

Hence we are probably getting bows soon, and since Livonia will get an update I feel like they will take that opportunity to expand upon survival mechanics since Livonia looks much more survival focused/ruins/destroyed

5 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

There are animals all over the place. You can't walk 100 yards without hearing a chicken.

Get a knife...a stone knife will do and you have everything you need for killing chickens, gathering wood and cooking the food. It really isn't that difficult.

All this does not make sense as long as there is a bug for infinite fruits. The fruit drop chance is very high and the drop algorithm is very simple. Fruits in chernarus can be seen in very large quantities here https://dayz.xam.nu/#7050.00;7822.50;2  I don’t know why we need hunting, fishing, cooking, and these new types of traps for animals, if the fruits are endless. I created ticket with this, but it became private, and I understand that BI is not going to fix this.

• Confused 1

Food is a risky/reward system. Looting lots of food cans doesn't have this mechanic.
Canned Food is really not that scarse, you may not find a lot on the coast but it only means someone looted that area first.
To get food from zombies, you need to kill them first and it's a good trade (and the loot table for food is balanced)
Chickens are common but that's good, the hussle you have to prepare it it's reasonable.
When you get a rifle, food isn't a problem anymore because one headshot will feed you for hours. But you might attract unwanted attention.

Cans of food should be more rare, the snacks (Pájka, Salty Sticks, Cereal, etc) should be nerfed on it's energy value.
Honey and Jelly should be much more rare, almost a relic.

Edited by Ermanhaut
  • Sad 1
  • Beans 2

1 hour ago, Ermanhaut said:

Cans of food should be more rare, the snacks (Pájka, Salty Sticks, Cereal, etc) should be nerfed on it's energy value.
Honey and Jelly should be much more rare, almost a relic.

Maybe snacks don't need a nerf, but yes. I agree.

• Sad 1

I was optimistic all the way to 1.14 about them trying to make the game more for survival fans, but anymore it seems to be taking notes from its less popular cousin "Vigor". Just go out there find really good guns shoot each other a lot and repeat.

The food and water is just a silly additional mechanic at this point. We never starve to death, you can easily find a well, It's pointless at the moment. Hunting and cooking is just a dumb novelty for weirdos on vanilla chernarus.

They should just go all out and add english letters to the signs, spawn ammo immediately next to its compatible gun like in a BR, and remove most of the sway and bloom out of all the guns so people don't have to think and can just pew pew pew all day... oh wait they already did that last one.

• Sad 1

On 11/26/2021 at 2:37 PM, kumando said:

what is the point of survival now?

The point is to play on a community hardcore server. 😄

• Haha 1

Ive said it once, I'll say it again, Official servers are for console babies and casuals.  Hardcore community servers are much better.  Also, if nothing else, you could at least find a vanilla Namalsk server, it will be much more difficult to survive than the official servers.

• Sad 1

It is still not clear to me if you are really a "masocchist" or just a "forum braggart". BOH?!?
However that animals are everywhere is bull*hit. On MOD servers maybe, but on Vanilla ones NO!
And with this latest patch it seems to me that we also need to eat more.

It looks like a "cooking" game instead of a survival game.

Where I specify WELL: "survival" does NOT necessarily mean "having to starve"!
As I see it, the FIRST rule of any video game MUST be the "verisimilitude", otherwise it becomes an unplayable crap ... and the "balance of the game" or the "fun challenges" I wipe the rear!
My point of view, of course.

🙄

Where I specify WELL: "survival" does NOT necessarily mean "having to starve"!

Everything is sped up in DayZ. Guns break quicker, shoes ruin faster, your stamina regens quicker than in real life... and so does your food go away quicker.
You are forgetting that you basically spawn starving to death, your character is hungry when you spawn, it has been like that since ever.

I myself think that vanilla is easy, animals aren't rare, and on Spaggies vanilla server I currently have 6 deer steaks + full food and water.
Food is fine on vanilla, if anything it's easy once you know your way around.

The only way they could make DayZ less of a "eating simulator" that you say is to make food even more rare, but make starving even harder.

EDIT: I still haven't seen yet one suggestion of yours to make the game a bit more survival focused, only complaints and rants.

Edited by DefectiveWater

You are confusing and mixing things up.
How it is born is another matter, it has nothing to do with the level of hunger in the game.
And it is also "NOT exact" that everything is speeded up because the day night cycle is speeded up. It is NOT proportional.
Test in a TIME 1x server how much is the consumption of a battery with the NVG, for example... ALWAYS EQUAL to 6x servers (with one battery you do not spend the night, in 6x servers one battery advances)... BUG? Stupid choice? I don't know, but the "speeded up life = accelerated consumption" it is not true, it does not work like that DayZ.
Try and check for yourself.
I don't care about "Spaggies", I ONLY talk about Vanilla Servers. Try them first, then go back to talking about them.
On Vanilla servers (the real ones) animals are rare.
I manage anyway because I only play on sparsely populated servers and by now I know the game, but already on medium-high ones the food would not be enough for everyone! But it is obvious that very few care about it, because all those who go to medium/high population servers only go to exterminate each other, nobody cares about hunger.
That's the point!
Every now and then, someone who would like to "survive the pandemic" and NOT replicate a War FPS... but DON'T know the game well, come to the forum and RIGHTLY complain, and you "who usually live the forum" attack him with "things NOT true" and doing the badasses.
THAT bothers me!

What they should do, in my opinion, is make DayZ as realistic as possible ... "normal" hunger, "normal" food, "normal" material consumption ... I would also make the "normal" times (the days of 1 hour or 1 & 1/2 hour RL are ridiculous).
And if you like it well, otherwise there is a large group of MODs that you can make DayZ anything you want. But the "standard" game should be as realistic as possible.

About "EDIT":
I'm not one of the programmers, and seeing how the game is going, I have been coming here to complain every now and then: THIS IS a suggestion.
And I do it because "the topic" (of this game) is fun and I haven't found an alternative that is at least decent yet.
Writing what is wrong is already his suggestion, perhaps the most important one: the one that points out the bullshit!
It would be stupid to list the good stuff (only "enthusiastic children" and "panders" do), just get rid of the bullshit and the game could be (almost) perfect (bugs aside). The concept should be obvious!
Who does not appreciate it (on "the merits", of course... on "the ways" we can discuss... but often here and on Steam I have seen the "forum pack" denigrate the "complaining loner"... they seem to be paid by B.I. for "make run away dissent", and make DayZ appear "nice and working" 😕 ) either he doesn't understand it (his problem) or he DOESN'T WANT to understand... and against bad faith there is nothing that can be done.
For this reason I have also opened some bug tickets (partially solved, after many months and without even a "thanks for the time lost to report") and some comments and suggestions on other defects found by others... (as I had not written nothing).
If this game weren't so funny, I would have already trashed it for a long time... is that seeing it go on in these conditions, and worse and worse... and also reading about people who are happy about it...

I'm really embittered 😠

Edited by Riddick_2K
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Riddick_2K said:

And it is also "NOT exact" that everything is speeded up because the day night cycle is speeded up. It is NOT proportional.
Test in a TIME 1x server how much is the consumption of a battery with the NVG, for example... ALWAYS EQUAL to 6x servers (with one battery you do not spend the night, in 6x servers one battery advances)... BUG? Stupid choice? I don't know, but the "speeded up life = accelerated consumption" it is not true, it does not work like that DayZ.

I am not saying that time scale influences the speed of the game/hunger/guns breaking/shoes ruining, I am saying that the default values are balanced around default timescale.
Game is scaled in a way so that a player can experience full life in only few hours of play time.

I don't care about "Spaggies", I ONLY talk about Vanilla Servers. Try them first, then go back to talking about them.

Mate... Spaggies is literally pure vanilla, even official servers are easy, and I played around 600 hours on those (1PP, high-full pop). Spaggies server is the same as vanilla official. How do you not get that?

But the "standard" game should be as realistic as possible.

You keep complaining about "the war game" "war game that" "war game this" and yet you are bothered by the simple task of finding food, which is easy to find on full official servers.

Okay so let's make the game as realistic as possible, no running around everywhere because your character get's tired. Time to walk to NWAF from Berezino. Enjoy your 4 hour trip (possibly more due to all the obstacles and what not).
Broke a leg? Well time to PLAY the game (not counting offline) for a month or two.
Food shouldn't respawn because food doesn't just show up randomly, so you better be the first to loot the cities.

they seem to be paid by B.I. for "make run away dissent", and make DayZ appear "nice and working"

LMAO. I'm done, you are getting blocked. Thank you for reading my post, have a nice day.

Edited by DefectiveWater
  • Beans 1