Sign in to follow this  
drgullen

Disconnect Breath-Holding From Stamina

@Kyiara

Hopefully, this suggestion wouldn't be too difficult to implement, but I've never understood why my character's ability to hold their breath was directly related to how much or how little weight I was carrying.  It doesn't really make any sense, because for the most part, the only reason anyone will hold their breath is while they're aiming to take a shot or zooming in on a target with a scope or binoculars.

As an example, let's say I'm currently covered in a building and there's a guy in another building across the street shooting at me.  I am crouched near the window and basically not moving other than to peek now and then to try to zero him in my scope's crosshair and take a shot.  In this scenario, it shouldn't matter whether I'm completely naked or looted to the teeth with maximum weight.  I'm essentially standing still, so I should be able to hold my breath for a long time, assuming my health is good.

So, my suggestion is to change the breath-holding mechanic from being tied to stamina to being tied to your health level instead, perhaps something like this:

• Full White Health = can hold breath for 60 seconds
  • Partial White Health = can hold breath for 45 seconds
  • Yellow Health = can hold breath for 30 seconds
  • Red Health = can hold breath for 15 seconds
  • Flashing Red Health = can hold breath for 5 seconds

Think of the possibilities with this in place.  If I'm healthy, I can sit there aimed on target for up to 60 seconds, waiting for the player to peek so I can take a shot.  On the flip side, think of the anxiety and desperation the player will feel if they're flashing red health and have only 5 seconds to get off a good shot.  I think it would create some interesting game play and to me, makes more sense than tying it to the stamina bar.

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

3 hours ago, EzyStriderPS4 said:

Really great idea @drgullen!! Numbers seem too high. Maybe 12, 10, 5, 3, 2?

Thanks!  I think your numbers are too low though.  If you're completely healthy, surely you can hold your breath for longer than 12 seconds, no?

How about we meet in the middle somewhere, like 30, 20, 15, 10, 5?

Separate breath stamina that isn't affected by weight, but is affected by running.

On 7/30/2021 at 1:33 AM, drgullen said:
  • Full White Health = can hold breath for 60 seconds
  • Partial White Health = can hold breath for 45 seconds
  • Yellow Health = can hold breath for 30 seconds
  • Red Health = can hold breath for 15 seconds
  • Flashing Red Health = can hold breath for 5 seconds

Add something like that too, and it's pretty good.

Also sway while prone should be reduced IMO...

Oh definitely, if you're running for your life and then quickly stop to take a shot, these numbers should probably be closer to 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.  In my OP, I was meaning more along the lines of you have been still for some time, you are in a stand-off with someone or scoping them out from distance and aren't out of breath at all.

I agree on the sway as well, it can get a bit much at times.

I think rather than completely disconnecting it from the stamina just make it drain percentage
for example 15s and your stamina is completely drained

Yeh, I don't think have camper snipers sit around all day holding their breaths for 60 secs is going to go down too well with many people.

Sniping is already far too easy in DayZ. There has to be at least a tiny bit of difficulty involved.

I can see the pros and the cons to this if its done through multiple testing.

Pro: Better Stamina usage for us.

Con: sniper campers abusing this system.

snipers are rarely overburdened with full inventories so usually have full stamina...

defo, stamina affected by weight shouldn't come into breath holding time when stationary, especially when prone

The bigger issue is hold breath is tied also to the eye zoom. So when you run out, not only are you unable to hold your gun steady, but you also suddenly can't see anything. Makes no sense. In ARMA when you run out of breath you just run out of breath. You don't also run out of eyesight.