See http://dayzmod.com/f...136-heavy-mist/ for the non lethal version of this post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_41gZx09KVI&feature=player_embedded# Video of the mist

Thesis

A mist that can cause illness if the player doesn't have a gas mask.

Characteristics (large mist)

• will be 250-1,000m diameter

• attached to a horde of infected

• 30 min despawn after horde is killed

• from the circumference, to 50m in to the mist will be less visible to the players.

• the Airborne virus(mist) will be a slightly different color then normal mist, maybe a tint of yellow.

• mist can not enter buildings with close doors (door has to be close before the mist arrives)

• can get higher then the mist (the mist is suppose to be heavier then air)

• the mist will not cause illness intently, How far you are in the mist will determine how fast you get the illness.

Characteristics (small mist)

• 10-250m diameter.

• can spawn/despawn (will not spawn in settled towns)

• spawns in towns

• spawns on zombies, has to be 3 or more together.

• a count down for spawning (Fades in)

• from the circumference, to 50m in to the mist will be less visible to the players.

• the Airborne virus(mist) will be a slightly different color then normal mist, maybe a tint of yellow.

• mist can not enter buildings with close doors (door has to be close before the mist arrives)

• can get higher then the mist (the mist is suppose to be heavier then air)

• the mist will not cause illness intently, How far you are in the mist will determine how fast you get the illness.

gas mask

• easy to find

• replaceable filter

• protects 100%

• filter will last 40 mins to an hour

• limits visibility

• Stamina runs out faster (if a stamina system is put in place)

Cloth v2 (has ties to attach it to your face)

• Upgraded version of cloth

• protects 50%

• can use weapon with

• Has to be washed after 30 mins of use

Cloth

• Spawn with it

• protects 25%

• Can not used weapon when equipped (you have to use your hands to hold up to your mouth)

• has to be washed after 30 mins of use

Early Warning system.

When the power is on in any town and a mist(virus or no virus) comes towards the town. the town will have a alarm that comes on to warn people.

The system will be auto-detecting because if it was turned on/off by players, it would just end up being spammed. To make up for this, the Early Warning System would be broken and need minor repairs, and require power (see. sig). This way it will not be spam and become an annoyance to the players with in it's range, but a useful tool.

I credit for help with these idea's, please comment, you're oppinion can make this idea better ;)

Mitor

Be4st

3rd Party

Edited by Bullfrog
  • Like 22

Great idea but i believe the filters need to last at least 24 hours, people up north wouldnt want to be running into towns every 30 minutes for a new one.

• Like 2

yaay XD

yea that sounds like a cool idea, i dunno if i like it travelling seperate to zombie hoardes though. the semantic realist in me would be saying surely the mist will dissapate and spread and everyone would eventually being infected

If it had a proximity around hoardes, itd also be an interesting problem to deal with at established settlements that became surrounded XD

+1

!!! ye could have a specific area of ze map aswell that was associated with the source of the infection, that would require you to dom full biohazard gear to enter.

bit excessive i know as there would have to be whole host of features developed around possible other uses for ze suit, aswell as payoffs for entering the facility anywayz.

Great idea but i believe the filters need to last at least 24 hours' date=' people up north wouldnt want to be running into towns every 30 minutes for a new one.

[/quote']

24 hours is quite a good amount of time. the countdown on the filters will only go down when being used. I think 30-hour will be good. plus it will not be that rare.

yaay XD

yea that sounds like a cool idea' date=' i dunno if i like it travelling seperate to zombie hoardes though. the semantic realist in me would be saying surely the mist will dissapate and spread and everyone would eventually being infected

If it had a proximity around hoardes, itd also be an interesting problem to deal with at established settlements that became surrounded XD

+1

[/quote']

good point ;) I'll take out the ABV mist being unattached to a horde feature.

If normal mist is in the game, and ABV mist I think that will be fine. no need for normal mist, ABV mist with hordes and ABV mist without hordes :P

Ive seen alot of debates occuring on here, mostly off thread, about what peeps are actually avoiding in this game. Clearly the zombie format, but the conditions for the infected havnt been laid out.

Ive always thought itd be a cool idea if players could become infected, and eventually die whilst AI takes over their body as a unique zed. If you entered the mist, for too long, there could be an unexpected point where you switch to AI zed, or stay infected for too long aswell.

However i dunno how this would change gameplay. It might encourage overpopulated towns like electro n cherno to spread out more over the map. Until more organised elements cleared them out XD

Or it could make the respawning process a night mare, requiring you to spend at least half an hour in the woods before you find a safe town.. which actually might be quite cool, if that had the effect of encouraging survivors/bandits to camp more in the paths of newly spawned survivors. Sure i expect youd be killed many times, but i guess it wouldnt be many attempts before you encountered a group that was more willing to communicate.

Ive always thought itd be a cool idea if players could become infected' date=' and eventually die whilst AI takes over their body as a unique zed. If you entered the mist, for too long, there could be an unexpected point where you switch to AI zed, or stay infected for too long aswell.

However i dunno how this would change gameplay. It might encourage overpopulated towns like electro n cherno to spread out more over the map. Until more organised elements cleared them out XD

Or it could make the respawning process a night mare, requiring you to spend at least half an hour in the woods before you find a safe town.. which actually might be quite cool, if that had the effect of encouraging survivors/bandits to camp more in the paths of newly spawned survivors. Sure i expect youd be killed many times, but i guess it wouldnt be many attempts before you encountered a group that was more willing to communicate.

[/quote']

I'd like to see an ai/player switch too, after all it was originally my idea ;) maybe have some gray space daring the spread of the infection where you can randomly switch over but it shouldn't be unexpected, when you get sick you know it.

I can see it causing players to spread out across the map more too. rather then staying in those towns in the south lol since elektra and chena would be pretty much impossible to settle in.

I don't see how it would make re-spawning anymore of a nightmare than it is now.

Interesting idea. I don't know how badly the noobs would whine about this if it were implemented, but this would increase both the terror factor and the realism factor.

Colorless, odorless, invisible chemical weapons that cause the zombetes. Not since World War One has there been an ominous, clearly visible harbinger of death like there is in the movies. It's imperceptible to the naked senses. The only way to know it's coming is with either vehicle-based chemical weapons detectors or or with these little paper sheets that change colors when the compound is present. You'd never truly know unless you had them with you. Of course, you'd also be able to watch your environment. Some chemical weapons kill plants and small animals faster than humans, so when the grass starts turning brown and the birds shut up, you should probably pop on a mask whether you know what's happening or not.

Of course, we'd leave the spawn points pretty safe, because you can imagine the flood of hate mail when they die for no clear reason.

Hell of a lot of work for the devs, but I want to see it.

I really like small ideas like this. Generate them into random events that happens once every month or so. Exciting!

I like the idea some one else (maybe you) had about an underground military complex with certain areas filled with a mist/gas that requires a gas mask to enter. High level loot in there. Anything to make the environment a larger threat as well.

• Like 2

I like the idea some one else (maybe you) had about an underground military complex with certain areas filled with a mist/gas that requires a gas mask to enter. High level loot in there. Anything to make the environment a larger threat as well.

This gives me another idea. The gas mask shouldn't just be a time limit for you. DevilDog, you're a Marine right? How often have they put you in a gas mask? How was your endurance? Your peripheral vision? And that's without monsters tearing at your face, with each attack coming closer and closer to tearing it off your head completely.

All of these factors should be incorporated if this idea is. Man, that would be hellishly cool.

This gives me another idea. The gas mask shouldn't just be a time limit for you. DevilDog' date=' you're a Marine right? How often have they put you in a gas mask? How was your endurance? Your peripheral vision? And that's without monsters tearing at your face, with each attack coming closer and closer to tearing it off your head completely.

All of these factors should be incorporated if this idea is. Man, that would be hellishly cool.

[/quote']

I forgot all about this from my ROTC days. through in the military, they force you to take a deep breath of tear gas before you put on your gasmask.

there shouldn't be any leaks that cause the gas to effect the wearer.

it doesn't just make you tear up and stuff ;)

I added some of your stuff to the OP though :D

I don't want this infection to work like teargas though, no blurry eyes from tears, coughs and what not

I like it. To have this monster of mist appear in the middle of the wilderness. It would truly give a sense of eeriness to those who stick to the woodland areas. It would be a monster without a face, making it even more frightening.

Well after watching your mist idea video and playing the Sirens from your second link defiantly makes a real scary environment. Not to mention the morale effect it is going to have on you when these loud sirens go off in the distance and you begin to frantically panic to grab your mask and slip it on.

I like it. To have this monster of mist appear in the middle of the wilderness. It would truly give a sense of eeriness to those who stick to the woodland areas. It would be a monster without a face' date=' making it even more frightening.

[/quote']

plus you have the monsters inside the mist ;)

and if it's 1,000 meters wide, it will be pretty hard to avoid it. just trying to out run it.

Well if its anything like the movie The Mist then I'm going to be scared to death to even move anywhere... :(

Well if its anything like the movie The Mist then I'm going to be scared to death to even move anywhere... :(

I think thats one of the reasons I like it. It's 1000 meters wide, or one could make several 300 meter wide clouds throughout the map moving. To see one coming from a distance on top of a roof would be a fucking nightmare.

And in a game where all people do is spawn, and shoot unarmed people, maybe this is just what the game needs to have people come together again, or at least not shoot as much for fear of attracting the mist hoard.

the end of that movie =(

Well after watching your mist idea video and playing the Sirens from your second link defiantly makes a real scary environment. Not to mention the morale effect it is going to have on you when these loud sirens go off in the distance and you begin to frantically panic to grab your mask and slip it on.

plus it doesn't tell you where it's coming from only that it's coming ;)

Well at the point of when the Sirens go off I would have to make a decision on to take shelter in a small barn that gives you minor protection from the mist. Or if I wanna puss out and click disconnect. But TBH I'd wait it out :D

Yeah and there can also be a lower level gas-mask such as a rag that you can find. Maybe this mist can infect the water we drink to survive. What if we are forced to start fires so that we can filter it to the point that we can drink it. (If unable to heat it to filter you can still drink it but there is a chance that you can become ill from it):o

Yeah and there can also be a lower level gas-mask such as a rag that you can find. Maybe this mist can infect the water we drink to survive. What if we are forced to start fires so that we can filter it to the point that we can drink it. (If unable to heat it to filter you can still drink it but there is a chance that you can become ill from it):o

Really you can expand on this idea quite efficiently

Really you can expand on this idea quite efficiently

I guess a rag could be like a starter filter, but it would have to really be inefficient. I'm not really big on having different type of gas mask, i don't want it to be to complicated =p

as far as purifying water and what not, there are topics on this already.

If I add them to OP people will not want to read/comment due to all the subjects of the post.