I love this idea! The more hardcore the better! More people will gather up and destroy the infected. But what I don't get is who is activating the Siren.

P.S that Nuclear Siren creeps me out really bad, specially if it happens in irl. It makes me feel that there is no hope in the world.

That would be nice but a weather monitor wouldn't beable to track an airborne virus, since it's not caused by Heat or cold changes

True but surely it be able to detect fog/mist, as we are suggesting that this virus/mist is visible unlike any other airborne virus.

ITs the ieda that the mist surrounding large hoardes is a give away of their location, and might be for long distance too.

http://www.wakenet.eu/fileadmin/user_upload/News%26Publications/EURAD-Wake-Vortex-Barbaresco.pdf

THis ia radar developed to monitor the wind vortex turbulence that develop behind planes, and part of the way it does this is monitoring the air content.

I radar can be utilized to map out air turbulence, I wouldnt think its too much of a stretch to considering it monitoring the fog.

IF it were an objective to repair, decontruct and relocate the equipment, it could be very useful to large clans wishing to plan moves/retreats or attempt large scale "clean-ups" of zed activity.

Awesome idea, would add more 'horror' to the game

I think this would be completely awesome if it were slightly tweaked. The fog/mist should be filled with zombies and it also carries the air borne infection. The rag and gas mask help prevent the infection as a % over time. Meaning that the rag would prevent the infection 25% of the time every 5 mins. and the mask should be 95% of the time every 5 mins (because hell maybe a zombie pulled it down or off for a split second).

The mist should be more like fog with yellow-ish snow flakes in it while regular fog still patrols the game. The fog should only appear during adverse weather or from dusk to dawn. The game needs weather systems to be implemented in a sense of clouds being projected on the landscape so when a big cloud comes so does the mist. This way its not mid-day and fog rolls in, it also makes sense that the fog travells in cold/warm fronts as so do clouds and weather systems.

The clouds idea is just my 2cents that would also make the game looks visually better :P so I suppose it doesn't need to be implemented.

I love this idea! The more hardcore the better! More people will gather up and destroy the infected. But what I don't get is who is activating the Siren.

P.S that Nuclear Siren creeps me out really bad, specially if it happens in irl. It makes me feel that there is no hope in the world.

I add it because it's really creepy ;) I had a dream a couple nights with it, and it was more scarier then the real content of the dream haha

I don't know, maybe a computer system that is re-activated or something

How about if this was coupled with the Town Settling idea and if a town is settle in then the warning siren plays.

Edited by Bullfrog

Play the siren and then watch the video.

I am 100% behind this.

Let it be like a event where every second in game time a dice rolls and a 1-10,000 chance that the mist might come :o

I think the dice thing is a little to much, could be confusing too.

Thanks for the support though ;)

Has anyone started working on this as a mod for DayZ? Since the announcement of standalone and the support of private hives, there has been very little 'modding activity' in the community. Very weird, DayZ is a mod for a milsim that has a rich history of being modded.

If you use this script, associate it with an already created ai patrol script that references the DayZ zombies. Make it a random spawn on server start using the same method as crash sites. I feel this will be very successful for private hive communities and the true 'Z' players.

Edited by caseymc

Dude this sounds epic. Imagine being in a town looting and then hearing that siren knowing some serious sh*T is going to happen. Mist should be a thick fog that makes it so you can only see 2 feet infront of you. It should also come with a huge zombie horde. IMAGINE ELECRO OR CHERNO! THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME! Also if you had spooky stuff come with the mist it would be better. Would ramp that fear factor up. http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/85525-make-dayz-scary-again/page__st__20

• Like 1

Dude this sounds epic. Imagine being in a town looting and then hearing that siren knowing some serious sh*T is going to happen. Mist should be a thick fog that makes it so you can only see 2 feet infront of you. It should also come with a huge zombie horde. IMAGINE ELECRO OR CHERNO! THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME! Also if you had spooky stuff come with the mist it would be better. Would ramp that fear factor up. http://dayzmod.com/f...in/page__st__20

It's been a while since I wrote this and I've forgot the detail of this post.

But the idea that I originally had is that the mist can be formed by the infected. The zombies are infected people so they have to breathe and they would form the mist when being in a group or small pockets of the air borne mist by a single walker.

Thus when a horde is on the map, there would be, by default, a huge mist that goes along with it.

as far as things that go with it, the only thing i could think of to give it that erry feeling with out being out of the DayZ ideals is portable spot lights or what have you. I feel adding anything with it, with the exception of normal mist (with out the tint) would ruin the point. though I may just not beable to think of anything

Edited by Bullfrog
  • Like 1

Now this would add to the terrifying aspect of zeds in the game. I'd personally enjoy seeing a horde of infecteds roaming through the forest/large city, this mist pooling about their bodies, spilling from their mouths as silent testimonials to the nature of their being. I think the first time that happened every single bandit, hero, and everyone in between would stop, stare, shit their pants in terror, and hide or run away. These infected hordes should also randomly shuffle into buildings, opening doors if they aren't locked by some mechanism, and thus polluting the air inside the building slowly with this mist.

Some suggestions though, as it seems Rocket has placed all of the survivors as immune to being turned. At least, that's the impression I'm getting. I don't agree with the whole turning into a zombie part, though that would be interesting to see on a future mod, but I do think the survivor could get sick, maybe lethally so. After all, this is obviously a virulent strain. Coughing, shaking, inability to accurately aim down the sights. The benefits of eating or drinking should be lessened, perhaps, with the occasional bout of heaving and vomiting. Nearby survivors could get infected by proximity to the sick individual, but that should be very rare and only with continually being near them. If antibiotics aren't found, the victim of this insidious little bug would slowly plummet in condition, the coughing growing louder and more constant, running the risk of alerting unfriendly beings, both infected and not. Their vision could occasionally blur, and they could even run the risk of passing out. The sicker they get, the more other players would want to avoid them, likely, as the chances to get infected as well would go up. Running would be harder to accomplish, the virus throwing off their equilibrium, tilting them to the side like a truck without one of the wheels.

As to actually getting infected, it would have to take some prolonged exposure to the mistwalkers, whether close proximity to an individual, or by staying in the cloud too long without a gas mask.

Anyway, my thoughts on a terrific idea. Hope this makes it in.

• Like 1

Now this would add to the terrifying aspect of zeds in the game. I'd personally enjoy seeing a horde of infecteds roaming through the forest/large city, this mist pooling about their bodies, spilling from their mouths as silent testimonials to the nature of their being. I think the first time that happened every single bandit, hero, and everyone in between would stop, stare, shit their pants in terror, and hide or run away. These infected hordes should also randomly shuffle into buildings, opening doors if they aren't locked by some mechanism, and thus polluting the air inside the building slowly with this mist.

Some suggestions though, as it seems Rocket has placed all of the survivors as immune to being turned. At least, that's the impression I'm getting. I don't agree with the whole turning into a zombie part, though that would be interesting to see on a future mod, but I do think the survivor could get sick, maybe lethally so. After all, this is obviously a virulent strain. Coughing, shaking, inability to accurately aim down the sights. The benefits of eating or drinking should be lessened, perhaps, with the occasional bout of heaving and vomiting. Nearby survivors could get infected by proximity to the sick individual, but that should be very rare and only with continually being near them. If antibiotics aren't found, the victim of this insidious little bug would slowly plummet in condition, the coughing growing louder and more constant, running the risk of alerting unfriendly beings, both infected and not. Their vision could occasionally blur, and they could even run the risk of passing out. The sicker they get, the more other players would want to avoid them, likely, as the chances to get infected as well would go up. Running would be harder to accomplish, the virus throwing off their equilibrium, tilting them to the side like a truck without one of the wheels.

As to actually getting infected, it would have to take some prolonged exposure to the mistwalkers, whether close proximity to an individual, or by staying in the cloud too long without a gas mask.

Anyway, my thoughts on a terrific idea. Hope this makes it in.

I agree the player shouldn't turn in to a zombie. The human asspect of the game would ruin the point of a infection forcing you to be aggressive towards other players.

I was thinking more of a AI taking over your character. You character will be "Dead" in the seance that you can't play as it anymore.

Mist spilling from their mouth seems a little arcade to me, though in practice it may come out quite while. I had in mind a puff of mist, like how you breath looks when you breathe in the cold.

I've kind of stop caring about the threads only logging on to check up on my own post. Though either way, I'll re read the OP and update it according to what I see is fit to be in it. So you didn't write that in vine ;) But it will take a bit, I've kind of drop out of the loop from the forums haha