Raphael_RJ2

The despawning gardens & fireplaces.

After this new update....

I understand it taking an hour or so to grow things in the garden. That's fine being that it takes day's/ months in real life, but for the food to despawn After planting and waiting for so long kind of kills the immersion for me and a few other players....

Example:

I live in Las Vegas & I have a friend I play with in Japan. We have a base/hideout.

Sometimes when we're not able to play together I look out for him vice versa.

I'll get pumpkin seeds and I'll plant them knowing that when I log off, when he logs in it would have grown by then vice versa. 

Instead, The garden despawns.

Also the fireplace despawns. It kind of sucks gathering all the materials only for it to disappear.

All of this happened after the new update, before the update it was all survival but yet still fun and we got caught up in the immersion of pretending what if we were out in the woods surviving but because of the new update with the garden and the fireplaces it takes away from our secret hideouts.

Because of this new update I will miss trading our fruit for ammo or killing the person that tries to take it instead of trading 🤣

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

Now you've got me on the track to investigate what parameters can be changed so that gardening becomes a possibility again.  Are you using a console or a PC?  If console, you're essentially screwed (can't mod), but if on PC, there may be a solution (no thanks to the crappy DayZ Wiki that Bohemia doesn't develop).

A first answer may be in the 'types.xml' file in the server mission folder for your particular map.  For Chernarus, for example, here is the parameter for one of the plants you grow:

<type name="Plant_Pepper">
        <nominal>0</nominal>
        <lifetime>28800</lifetime>
        <restock>0</restock>
        <min>0</min>
        <quantmin>-1</quantmin>
        <quantmax>-1</quantmax>
        <cost>100</cost>
        <flags count_in_cargo="0" count_in_hoarder="0" count_in_map="1" count_in_player="0" crafted="1" deloot="0"/>
        <category name="tools"/>
 </type>

The 'lifetime' parameter limits the life of the plant to 28800 seconds = 8 hours.  You can easily change this to a much longer lifespan by changing the number.  This is done on the server side.

Edited by SwissArmy1984
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a great post.  He's right.  The changes to gardens/fireplaces, bugs or not, are bad.  I'm not spending any time doing garden or fireplace stuff, which was a great time sink, when it worked. 

Devs, please make adjustments to the official servers so that they stick around!  Lower the nutritional value of garden produce if you have to.

• Like 2

By default the garden plots are set to last a week, meaning they also get refreshed by the flagpole, while plants have a lifetime of 8 hours. This actually means plants are set to remain longer than in 1.11 when it was set to 6 hours (at least in my backups...). If either despawns faster than that something is clearly bugged.

However, a little further back (got backups from last summer) lifetimes of plants were two days, I don't know when that was changed to the 6 hours in 1.11 though. I suspect what has happened here is an accident when revising all lifetimes - searching and replacing - and plants have accidentally received the same base lifetime as a lot of other loot. They should clearly remain longer - although they will probably rot. Maybe @Kyiara can confirm if the short lifefime of plants is intended or not?

Either way I agree plants should definitely remain more than a few hours after growing.

I think the same thing has happened to the stone fireplace - in previous builds it had a lifetime of a week so the flagpole would refresh it, now it is set to 8 hours just like the plants. Feels like copy/pasting gone awry. Regular fireplaces are temporary things and should have short lifetimes, but that the stone oven requiring a heap of rocks should despawn after a few hours is clearly a mistake. At least I hope so...

Edited by Derleth
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Derleth said:

By default the garden plots are set to last a week, meaning they also get refreshed by the flagpole, while plants have a lifetime of 8 hours. This is actually means plants are set to remain longer than in 1.11 when it was set to 6 hours (at least in my backups...). If either despawns faster than that something is clearly bugged.

However, a little further back (got backups from last summer) lifetimes of plants were two days, I don't know when that was changed to the 6 hours in 1.11 though. I suspect what has happened here is an accident when revising all lifetimes - searching and replacing - and plants have accidentally received the same base lifetime as a lot of other loot. They should clearly remain longer - although they will probably rot. Maybe @Kyiara can confirm if the short lifefime of plants is intended or not?

Either way I agree plants should definitely remain more than a few hours after growing.

I think the same thing has happened to the stone fireplace - in previous builds it had a lifetime of a week so the flagpole would refresh it, now it is set to 8 hours just like the plants. Feels like copy/pasting gone awry. Regular fireplaces are temporary things and should have short lifetimes, but that the stone oven requiring a heap of rocks should despawn after a few hours is clearly a mistake. At least I hope so...

Maybe it had something to do with everyone and bob's uncle that were planting crops. 

If a town had a lot of that going on performance tanked like a beer drinking irishman. 

Truth be told never Saw or made a stone fire place. Just like An igloo. Lots of work, little gains. Maybe on a pve server or low pop its a win. But on a crowded server with a lot of people that know what they are doing its Just Waiting for An execution.

Edit; ho wait, we did made An igloo because my mate was set on building one. But after the first completion we tried it once more. Small snowball, small snowball x13 medium snowball, large snowball. Repeat 😞

Edited by McWendy
  • Sad 1

I used to make stone ovens in small "rebound" bases I set up in the large apartment buildings. Set up a fireplace, fill it with firewood and drop a crate or two with some clothes, food and basic tools. Then you have a good spot to get a kick start if you get yourself killed.

Then they took out being able to light fires indoors so now you have to carry a fire barrel inside instead. Other than that stone ovens are best used in out-of-the-way camps and bases in the wilderness. They are good thanks to persistence (no longer unless the server admin fixes it) and cooking slot. In my experience having long persistence on these is safe since few players will ever bother gathering all the necessary stones. With ovens despawning after a few hours nobody will do it now...

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

<snip> Cut out bad info...

Edited by Derleth