Sign in to follow this  
Buakaw

Improve the gamma/brightness curve

Currently, increasing your brightness even marginally over 50% results in a layer of "white fog" hovering over the game, making it look significantly worse and washed out.

I am not sure this is by design or simply due to a poorly configured gamma curve, I'd guess the latter tho. As such I would like to suggest a more balanced curve so that upping one's brightness simply lights up the image instead of making it look horribly washed out. This is possible with Reshade (the older version at least) or nvidia, but why force people to use external programs?

A properly useable brightness/gamma setting should be standard.

• Haha 1
  • Beans 1

3 hours ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

I remember they fixed it a wile back so players wouldn't  abuse it. What we have now is the fix.

Ah, so that's why you think this is funny. In your mind increasing brightness is "abuse" and a functioning brightness setting is cheating and I am "one of those abusing idiots".

Completely misguided. 😐

The only "abuse" that was occuring was when people could see everything at nighttime, which cannot be fixed by changing gamma, but requires a new rendering technique, which they implemented.

This has nothing to do with having a working brightness setting which would make the regular daytime scenery brighter. Some people have darker monitors or prefer their games to look bright. Why force people to use external methods (of which there is several that work...) to have decent brightness? This is a very reasonable and civil request.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In my  mind it was fine the way it was, they changed it because the hardcore boys said it was "abuse", what's funny is getting it changed  back is a fat chance in hell.

Such a fix would have been normally made by a complete noob trying to fix his first mod....for a proper devteam this is an absolutely shame !

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

i dont remember them ruining gamma as a "fix", as far as I know it was the new renderer that allowed fully dark nights.

and given that nights can no longer be "abused" right now, why should gamma still be "bad"?

Edited by Buakaw
  • Like 1

Try playing in fullscreen mode, I noticed that borderless fullscreen makes anything above 50% a washed out mess.

While it does happen in fullscreen mode too, it's much less drastic than borderless windowed.

Edited by DefectiveWater

32 minutes ago, DefectiveWater said:

Try playing in fullscreen mode, I noticed that borderless fullscreen makes anything above 50% a washed out mess.

While it does happen in fullscreen mode too, it's much less drastic than borderless windowed.

I am and it's awful.. you can't use more than 50-55% or the image is fucked. It's annoying because now I have to go out of my way to have the brightness I like in Dayz via external methods.

17 hours ago, Buakaw said:

I am and it's awful.. you can't use more than 50-55% or the image is fucked. It's annoying because now I have to go out of my way to have the brightness I like in Dayz via external methods.

I know I'm a console player so I probably don't count in this thread lol but I'm gonna do it anyways. I play on ps4 at the moment until I upgrade to ps5. my TV is a 65 inch Panasonic 4k TV and I go to settings then to picture and set it to the normal preset so I can then mess with the brightness, contrast, colour etc etc. bare in mind this TV of mine is pretty new lol so the other day I noticed an option for advanced settings and I had all these vivid HD settings to play with and I've configured it now so that I can see sooooooo far into the distance and the fog that you speak of is literally  none existent lol I mean I can see players now for miles and miles it's really great to be able to cancel out that limited view fog crap, I just wish the grass rendered in from a great distance because now I do feel like a bit of a cheat but that's not my fault that's just the ps4s capacity at rendering the vegetation on day z. ahhh well rant over. 

Just 2 tips.

*)
I don't know what hardware you use. I've always used a graphics card Nvidia and if you go into the control panel of the video driver you can also check the "Gamma", and you have some images to adjust it to the best. I've always changed it also for desktop only, otherwise you can't see all shades of gray, for everything, not just for games... desktop and video overlay have separate settings.
It is one of the basic settings that I have always adjusted on the PC, since the days of Battlefield 2.

*)
DayZ's dimming system is broken !
And I only found out a month ago.
Until that day I always skipped the nights because I could never even see where to put my feet, not even adjusting the Gamma of the video drivers (I was thinking of the usual "whims" that many have about adjusting the Gamma, and given the poor quality of these programmers... I thought it was done on purpose). I played at night only after I found an NVG.
Then a "strangeness" happened to me.

After the last wipe, I enter a normal server to rebuild a character and, strangely, I see the dark night but with the "gray" and recognizable things, NOT black anymore... and I think that, finally, the programmers have changed this stupid setting. I was happy, finally you can play even at night without NVG. I play a little and at a certain point, everything goes back to black as it once was.
I already think of one of the many bugs in the game, but I think... it could be "replicated". At least I had a "usable" view. And I started looking on the net...
Long story short: I found out that there really was the bug, but that's what I've had since I started the game the first time, but not knowing it I didn't realize it... the brightness is broken.
I tried in game and it's true... it often jumps and, even visually it seems adjusted, it is actually at zero (0) and moving the cursor doesn't always work.
To "unlock" the operation of the brightness slider you have to change the "Hardware Antialiasing" setting, this "unlocks" the operation of the brightness slider which returns to work, you adjust the brightness again, then the value of ^Hardware Antialiasing^ is put back as before, save and return to the game... and for a while you'll have a "decent and working" brightness.

This is what happened to me, I don't know if it will be useful to you, maybe it will be useful to someone else.

14 hours ago, Riddick_2K said:

(..) you have to change the "Hardware Antialiasing" setting, this "unlocks" the operation of the brightness slider which returns to work, you adjust the brightness again

heh I thought I was the only one. Yeah, this happens to me sometimes. I notice right away because the game is pretty dark when it happens. I also figured out the antialiasing trick. But yeah, I wouldn't call it "decent". A single tick over the default 50% adds what looks like a white fog. It might be due to the HDR, but it's definitely not pretty or even useful for me.