kumando

1.12 Lots of food

Once again theres food all over, why the devs had to change this again? It doesnt feel like survial anymore.

• Confused 1

man, last time I spawned on a community vanilla server (yester-effing-day) it was pissing it down AND pissing it down half an hour each time solid with two minute pauses for the freezing gale and then there was a damned thunderstorm and I starved to death soaked to the bloody skin looking for one effing apple in - an orchard, a line of apple trees 50 back gardens with apple and pear trees ,a town, three villages (every house empty zero loot, zero fruit) AND another bl00dy orchard
and there was NOONE on the server

so I guess you take the rough with the smooth, right?

• Like 1

The point that few consider is that the spawn of objects, all... including food... is decided in a "fixed" way by the *.xml files of the servers. It does NOT depend on how many people enter and / or take those things.
This is why someone could find a lot of food, if everyone who has passed before was not needed, or it has been a long time since anyone has been there.
Conversely, if a server is heavily populated, or if some "hungry" players have been in that place, you won't find anything at all.
This is what happens, it depends on the game's spawn system. There is little to do.
Either a dynamic system is implemented that takes into account the number of players who enter, in what conditions they are, how hungry they are, etc... and the food spawn is adjusted accordingly... or you can just imagine that there will certainly be more need on the coast for the new born and it increases a little. Only those who are already equipped go north and you can decrease a little, but you cannot exceed them, because they are "statistical" estimates that could be disregarded.
Honestly, I don't see any other way, and... since I have also a personal opinion.
Me too, now that I am equipped because I have been playing for a while and I have one my own base in the north (in the official server), I feel no particular need food and I have made a small supply of boxes according to need. But it is also true that, as soon as I was born, I really found many difficulties, and this time (born with 1.11, after the wipe) I found many difficulties with food to start this character. And I also choose low pop servers, but that does not mean "desert", nor that it is my personal server and that no one enters it that I have not invited. Evidently I was born in a place already looted and it was hard to get by.
So I understand both those who complain about "too little food" (often it is), and those who complain about "too much food" (it may even seem that way)... the point is that programmers must consider the needs of ALL players, new and old, experienced and inexperienced, equipped and not equipped, and find a compromise on that.
With this 1.12 they increased food on the coast and spawn points and decreased in the north. This is what they could do without completely changing the whole object spawn system... there are so many old and major repairs they should do and I believe they will never do... I don't think they will completely change the "static system spawn" to implement a "dynamic" one... and then can you imagine the defects, problems and bugs... that they will probably NEVER fix?
Forget that it's okay... indeed, it's "less worse" so... 😉

P.S.

Sorry for my bad english but i have to use Google, I hope I managed to make myself understood anyway

Edited by Riddick_2K
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

3 hours ago, Riddick_2K said:

The point that few consider is that the spawn of objects, all... including food... is decided in a "fixed" way by the *.xml files of the servers. It does NOT depend on how many people enter and / or take those things.
This is why someone could find a lot of food, if everyone who has passed before was not needed, or it has been a long time since anyone has been there.
Conversely, if a server is heavily populated, or if some "hungry" players have been in that place, you won't find anything at all.
This is what happens, it depends on the game's spawn system. There is little to do.
Either a dynamic system is implemented that takes into account the number of players who enter, in what conditions they are, how hungry they are, etc... and the food spawn is adjusted accordingly... or you can just imagine that there will certainly be more need on the coast for the new born and it increases a little. Only those who are already equipped go north and you can decrease a little, but you cannot exceed them, because they are "statistical" estimates that could be disregarded.
Honestly, I don't see any other way, and... since I have also a personal opinion.
Me too, now that I am equipped because I have been playing for a while and I have one my own base in the north (in the official server), I feel no particular need food and I have made a small supply of boxes according to need. But it is also true that, as soon as I was born, I really found many difficulties, and this time (born with 1.11, after the wipe) I found many difficulties with food to start this character. And I also choose low pop servers, but that does not mean "desert", nor that it is my personal server and that no one enters it that I have not invited. Evidently I was born in a place already looted and it was hard to get by.
So I understand both those who complain about "too little food" (often it is), and those who complain about "too much food" (it may even seem that way)... the point is that programmers must consider the needs of ALL players, new and old, experienced and inexperienced, equipped and not equipped, and find a compromise on that.
With this 1.12 they increased food on the coast and spawn points and decreased in the north. This is what they could do without completely changing the whole object spawn system... there are so many old and major repairs they should do and I believe they will never do... I don't think they will completely change the "static system spawn" to implement a "dynamic" one... and then can you imagine the defects, problems and bugs... that they will probably NEVER fix?
Forget that it's okay... indeed, it's "less worse" so... 😉

P.S.

Sorry for my bad english but i have to use Google, I hope I managed to make myself understood anyway

What they did 2-3 updates back, to somewhat compensate for when newspawn areas are picked clean on busy servers, was to give zombies in those areas a greater chance to drop food and other useful items. Zombies are triggered by players, so even if the CLE hasn't had time to sprinkle out some new regular loot, a newspawn can always beat a few zombies to death and survive on what they can loot off their bodies.

I thought it was a pretty clever way to do it actually, because I really do not like the idea of an adaptive economy that always provides whatever the players need. That's just not DayZ, it's more what you would expect from a linear single player game. With the recent buff to zombies it brings a certain risk vs reward dynamic to it too that works out pretty well, previously it was a bit too easy to simply farm coastal zeds for survival essentials and then head inland. No need to loot...

I don't agree, this is a game (*), it should be rewarding for the widest audience of players, not just satisfy the oldest, the most experienced or the most "fanatic" of trouble and problems .
For those with special needs there are the mods... if one is looking for more difficulty, more or less difficult for food, more or less weapons, or even special weapons (I still hear players who would like helicopters... and I honestly don't understand the purpose, if not to do "Rambo", which should NOT be a feature of this game... but maybe I'm wrong)
This of the increase of the loot in the Z of coast I had escaped me or I had forgotten it 🙂
The last times I was reborn on the coast, however, I didn't notice... maybe it's still not enough.
With this latest increase in the aggressiveness, attention and power / endurance of the new Zs, I'm afraid, it will be much worse, especially if you just have to punch them down... But even with sidearms it doesn't change as much from punching alone and it's almost impossible if you can't find a solitary one (at spawn points?) and you don't have enough bandages available.

Now that I am fully equipped and have a small base as a support, with the 1.12 I carefully avoid any Z, and if I have to make "movement space" I try to kill from a distance with a gun (a "disposable" , because they are consumed as if they were paper mache... in the face of "realism" 😦  ). A newborn and without weapons certainly cannot rely on the loot of the Z, on the contrary... he must avoid them as much as possible and look only for the houses and sheds.

As always, these programmers brag a lot, declare some good and logical things, then do other damage, other flaws and other bullshit that spoils everything or makes useless the few good things they have done.
I, after the last Wipe, I built only one character in official servers... the "Veteran" ones, which I did not understand because a few years ago they divided the hives from those of BI... however, so, I have available 2 other different characters that you can "build". Probably, in a while, I will try to create one in the official BI HC servers (with only the first person), and we will see what difficulties I will find in reborn on the coast in this new 1.12.
In case I will come back to update my opinions about food and the difficulty in finding it as a "new born"... but consider that I am not really a rookie, I have my own personal server, I know well the "*.xml" files and I almost 1500 hours of gameplay. Certainly for me it will be a little "less difficult" than a "simple" player with a few hours of play... but then again... it's just a game. The "official" version should be a "good compromise" between "ease for all" and "fun for all". And I underline the concept "FOR EVERYONE", not only for the experts and for the "all difficult and all mangy" fanatics: for the latter there are mods.
My 5 cents, of course.

(*)
Whether more realistic or not there would be a lot to discuss and I have read all the colors ... and even the programmers "combine" all the colors, and I have not yet understood if "officially" this game has the claim to look realistic or not
I honestly think not, given the amount of absurdity and unrealism deliberately done by these programmers ... but I still read about some players quietly discussing various aspects of the game if they are more or less adherent to reality ... But when ever in DayZ? ! ? it is a whole jumble of absurdities and various unrealisms "passed off" for "game balance".
The "disgrace" is that it is still a very fun game and it also creates a "certain addiction".
The best choice would be to stop permanently or find a more serious and realistic alternative. as I see it, of course 😉

On 4/23/2021 at 7:44 PM, kumando said:

Once again theres food all over, why the devs had to change this again? It doesnt feel like survial anymore.

You know this very much depends on the circumstances, right? Yes there can be abundance of food as well as total scarcity and starving to death is not uncommon, especially for a fresh player who mostly fights off cold that in turn drains food rapidly. Thus, as a matter of fact, you need all that food just to stay alive. If the devs would balance how you start and also the effects of weather, so that you're not always freezing unless you have the best insulation layers top to bottom, then perhaps your complaint would be valid.

This further ties to the overall flow of energy and currently the game is set in a way where you can eat a lot and be warm but you're still going to be hungry in short time. So again, the excess of food is needed. 

Edited by William Sternritter
  • Like 1

I do not like how we are more and more forced to play in specific ways the devs wanted us to play...you have to leave the coast, you have to go north for military weapons, you have to spend hours to get a vehicle working, you have to consume insane amounts of food ...you have to wear best insulation....you have to choose between first person shitty fake light nights or full moon etc etc etc

All the fun stuff with other players simply does not happen any more...I really loved the slow paced parts of the mod and the EA where you could just walk, talking with your friends and enjoy the scenery...the chance to find a M4 or a working vehicle even as a fresh spawn...there was so much more diversity of playstyles...just watch the older YT videos...if you were looking for some action...just visit one of the hotspots ..if you had a death wish...visit Elekto...

This is also why I still miss vehicles like helicopters, boats, bikes etc....not because they are absolutely necessary for surviving but the possibility of different playstyles, rollplaying and diverse encounters is endless....I personally do not want to fly an helicopter...but looting an airport when suddenly hearing a heli approach is immersive as fuck....or having a biker gang....finding a mountain bike...being able to visit the islands by boat...I miss the Cherno snipers and the burning oil barrels and flares at night all over the place...because nobody could see shit but stayed on the servers at night....

I miss dudes in underwear and rubber boots playing saxophone solos on a fire extinguisher.....I also miss my copy of Moby Dick in my backpack.....

Edited by Private Evans
  • Like 2
  • Beans 1

OK.
I started again (after the last Wipe) a character on an official B.I. (HC first person only).
Indeed there is more food than once, but... NOT inside the Z... that with this new patch I am good careful not to deal with melee weapons... and those times where I could NOT do without, not i found nothing.
On the other hand, in the houses there is actually more food, I find various types of pates and other canned meat and the new honey exchanges give a lot of energy.
But the point remains, I already know the game and the map well enough and only ever go to low population servers. And already so I felt bad.
If you have the misfortune of being reborn on the east coast, there is nothing... and before you arrive in any city or town you may find yourself in trouble.
I was born in ^ Solnichniy ^ and in the village I found very little stuff, a little fruit and a few cans of pate (but little stuff for a newborn) just a pot to store some H2O, and not even in the infirmary (generally) there is much and even in the small military barrack I found nothing useful. Weapons: a stone knife (which lasts very short, but opens the cans), a crowbar and a baseball bat. But I found a waterproof backpack. And from that city you have to walk a lot to find something "more full-bodied", either to the N or to the S. And it was raining that the B.I. he sent her... I lock myself in the last house on the S and I find you another scared survivor just born (maybe that's why he didn't attack me, he didn't even have weapons)... we chat and then he goes away ( even if it was raining) saying that he wanted to find something better (maybe it was my presence that made him anxious :-D) boh... after a while I break too and, even if it was raining, I go out and start my journey: I didn't intend to go N, too much to walk and I didn't care about big cities... not even S, even more to walk to find something... and the best idea was to go inside, for "Dolina" and "Staroye" passing through the small military camp...
on the street I noticed the mistake: the other player thought the same thing. On the street I found everything open and nothing at all but a stupid hat or some ridiculous pants. No food, no weapons... even the .22 shotguns were all emptied. The player before me had the same idea.
this is how, perhaps, a player finds everything and thinks be it also too much (the one before me) and another, perhaps, finds nothing and complains.
And in that place we were 2. I don't remember how many in total in the server, but few, as I have already said, I deliberately avoid overly populated servers... even choosing the appropriate times and accepting much more than 100 pings (it doesn't matter to me a ping over 100; a server with over 5/8 players is much more problematic ;-))
And not even a jar of multivitamin pills to eat a chicken... 2 I killed and rotted. I certainly didn't start making fires in the rain or inside a house.
At one point I had to venture and cut straight through the woods and try to "overtake" the player (even if I didn't know where he wanted to go exactly), I just knew that I couldn't find anything useful. Not even at the military camp above "Staroye", or at the police barracks in "Staroye", did I find a usable weapon... and inside so many Zs that I carefully avoided... some house in the suburbs if isolated... and off to the SW. I aimed directly at "Dubovo" and "Baolta" which I know well and, generally, is not very busy (like the small Airfield)... I got there, even eating fruit on the street like when I was new to the game and I had just known the izurvive map 🙂
Then, yeah... in the end I managed to get myself a gun and a shotgun, but NOT silenced with some bullets, eat something more (no animals yet) an Amphibian but without bullets and a hoe and some seeds... I could have cultivate, but as long as I'm not in yellow, I don't want to "waste time" with this. Eventually many steak knives too.
however, neither at the police barracks under "Novoselki", nor at the military tents just above, nor at the Balota Airfield I did not find any silencers. And they are always with very "unpaired" weapons and ammunition.
Whether it is for "problems" of "bad spawn" or for "previous players"... however it is not always so easy to make a character... and I remember that I speak of servers with very low pop... but if you are not alone, there is it's always someone who gives you a shit first (and it's okay with you that they don't kill you to get what you have).
And I know the game, I know the map and various possibilities of "getting by"... not all of them are like that.
This is why I understand those who still complain that there can be little food... actually there are always situations where you can find yourself in real difficulty with food, just born... especially if you are new to the game.

In any case, now it is true that it is not that serious anyway, we manage it anyway... and for those unfamiliar with the game, it is better to ask for suggestions on what / how to do... rather than complain...
I wonder, though, a new one to the game... just born... in a medium or full server... I don't think he has a great chance of surviving, even if he manages to avoid the assassins and marauders... I don't think he find things useful or edible... and I don't think he can go very far in these conditions... except trying to kill another wretch hoping he has something to eat / use.
It is the game that I do not like.
In my opinion, despite my hours of experience, I believe that the only real way to be reborn and hope to survive is ONLY in a semi-empty server and hope for a good spawn. Then it could really be easy too.
Already with a "bad spawn"... if you are not really the one and only in the server you may have some difficulties... nothing serious, if you already know the game, but if you do not know it you may already find yourself in some difficulty.
If you try to be born fresh on an average or full server... good spawn or NOT good spawn... your cabbage
Anyway, to conclude by answering the original title... there is actually really more food than there used to be, but NOT inside the Zs (which are also much more mangy) but for the houses... if someone hasn't been there before and raided everything...
😉

The amount of loot that spawns is regulated by .xml files on the server side, specifically the most important are 'types.xml', 'cfgspawnabletypes.xml', 'globals.xml', and 'cfgrandompresets.xml'.  These can be easily modified on the server side so that certain items and types of loot are rarer or more abundant.