Kyiara

DayZ in 2021

Im not going to be playing anymore iv been on 1462 severe from the start. Had to put up with 2 wipes 😒 im not bothered about dupes tbh. Iv had fun killing them to get my gun because the developers never listen to the people that play this game. It all about money 💰 not about us who play the game. Not hard really just up the guns abit iv had it before 12hours playing dayz find not but sks and viagas. Will not be putting the time no more to keep doing it every 12 week sorry to say I hope rust has took this long to come out because watch dayz fuck ups  

• Like 2

Please dont make a dayz2 because u still can not get 1 to work how it should be working in 2021 😂😂😂

• Like 3

This is a great update and roadmap.

Stealth kills, melee improvement, interesting additional firearms, better UI feedback and new environmental threat(s) are all worthwhile additions. Hopefully the wipes go some way to keeping high end guns in rotation.

Also I'd speculate that hardcore players have a skewed perspective on what makes the game popular, enjoyable and successful. The persistent negativity is largely misplaced given the record average player numbers over the last few months. (Obviously Namalsk helped) I came in fresh at the end of last year and think the game is in a very solid place once you get over the initial learning curve. Delivering on this roadmap will make for a continually interesting game with the planned updates keeping it fresh. Very happy with the plans.

• Like 1

Just spawn in jumping out a plane with a gun of ya choice half the map and call it the 1DAYZ a one dayz survival PVP GAME no bases no point no cars dont work 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2

So many people already mentioned the desync issues, but I didn't see some of the issues that should be more easy to fix. Like balancing stats and durability. And get rid of the "now the vehicle batteries lose some charge each time you start it". Ever hear of alternators/generators? They recharge a cars battery as it drives. Maybe introduce alternators as a new item to repair/replace in a vehicle, and then if you don't the batteries lose charge. As for stats, how is it realistic to start starving after running for a few minutes? Or shoes to become damaged for the same reason. Most shoes I have ever had, lasted me months before needing to be replaced, no matter how cheap they were and I would wear the same pair all the time until I had to get new ones. And durability of tools and weapons? How can you have hammers that break after building 4 or 5 fences, pliers that get damaged after making 3 fences into gates? All of the tools' durability are garbage. I understand it is a survival game, but maybe try looking at real world tools and how long they last at least make the game tools last at least a quarter of that. I can't believe this game is 7 years old and still has this many bugs and unrealistic stats and durability.

Edited by hoosyerbedbud
added one last comment
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, hoosyerbedbud said:

So many people already mentioned the desync issues, but I didn't see some of the issues that should be more easy to fix. Like balancing stats and durability. And get rid of the "now the vehicle batteries lose some charge each time you start it". Ever hear of alternators/generators? They recharge a cars battery as it drives. Maybe introduce alternators as a new item to repair/replace in a vehicle, and then if you don't the batteries lose charge. As for stats, how is it realistic to start starving after running for a few minutes? Or shoes to become damaged for the same reason. Most shoes I have ever had, lasted me months before needing to be replaced, no matter how cheap they were and I would wear the same pair all the time until I had to get new ones. And durability of tools and weapons? How can you have hammers that break after building 4 or 5 fences, pliers that get damaged after making 3 fences into gates? All of the tools' durability are garbage. I understand it is a survival game, but maybe try looking at real world tools and how long they last at least make the game tools last at least a quarter of that. I can't believe this game is 7 years old and still has this many bugs and unrealistic stats and durability.

i don't get the complaints about durability. it's still a video game. the health of items still has to be gamified to accommodate an average play session. 

Very nice that you communicate with the players. And a big thx on Dayz Dev  / Bohemia supporting the game till now.

But I wounder why you are just making a  "sunshine" posting.

Guns? Animals? Z? Balancing?

I know these things are not beeing coded by engine Devs and all Devs need something to do, too... 

But adress the Elephant in the room. We do not need more guns or animals. We know that you are aware about the real problems. We need better core engine features. 

Even when it will last a whole year. Getting physics , duping and bouncing/flying cars fixed should be prioity. And you should communicate that.

Not mentioning the physics is a mistake, imho.

Edited by andro_dawton
  • Like 5

I care only about chinesee hacker problem and server performance

1 hour ago, andro_dawton said:

Very nice that you communicate with the players. And a big thx on Dayz Dev  / Bohemia supporting the game till now.

But I wounder why you are just making a  "sunshine" posting.

Guns? Animals? Z? Balancing?

I know these things are not beeing coded by engine Devs and all Devs need something to do, too... 

But adress the Elephant in the room. We do not need more guns or animals. We know that you are aware about the real problems. We need better core engine features. 

Even when it will last a whole year. Getting physics , duping and bouncing/flying cars fixed should be prioity. And you should communicate that.

Not mentioning the physics is a mistake, imho.

Agreed. At the very least acknowledge the problem and say something about the whys and hows about it, I am sure there would be more understanding for the time it takes if they give some detail on the complexity. But publishing a 2021 roadmap without mentioning the core issues with a single word is far from reassuring. I do not doubt they are working on server performance and physics - but the way this roadmap was written worries me anyway.

Please don't take us for fools - the elefant IS in the room and we can all see it. Talk about it...

As for what is in the roadmap - more guns is nice, and easy to implement, so that a few more will get tossed in was a given, but what about the bow?

I hope the modding support will include proper animation tools.

• Beans 2

15 hours ago, TheYetiBum said:

I partially agree but the main frustration of many players is the lack of tier 4 weaponry as it gets stashed out of existence after the first week of a wipe & by just increasing its spawn numbers just continues to benefit those in large groups with large bases or hidden away stashes. it makes the game pretty dull for most. Having a fixed wipe schedule like most other mmo survival games gives everyone extra reason to come back & play on a regular basis. I am in no way trying to invalidate your opinion though, just a counter proposal is all. Also take into account the vast majority of players prefer to PvP rather than survive which is precisely why private servers are more popular, which wont be wiped & there's always some decent private survival based servers too

I hear you, yet I still think that people who do that will do it regardless after a wipe over and over again. With persistence wipe only, people who already have full pockets cannot fill them more ... but it is quite a circle we're running here. Perhaps I will rather look into private survival servers if the wipes get disruptive for me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

I hear you, yet I still think that people who do that will do it regardless after a wipe over and over again. With persistence wipe only, people who already have full pockets cannot fill them more ... but it is quite a circle we're running here. Perhaps I will rather look into private survival servers if the wipes get disruptive for me. 

I took that step long ago since I grew tired of the shooty game prevalent on official servers, paired with the server hopping mechanic which makes them very anonymous by nature. There is no community building, it is mostly a day by day existence looking for trouble. The server hop teleport was a step in the right direction but I truly think official servers should have separate databases, but I doubt they will ever leave the hive concept since it is firmly established. So I'll keep to well crafted survival servers.

Wiping on its own is not that bad really, we're always a stray bullet from starting fresh anyways so I don't get the strong reactions about it. Starting over and gearing up is half the fun too..

Edited by Derleth
  • Like 1

As a server owner on console. I'm all up for new weapons, mechanics, ect but the main thing I think and seen that we should have on console is the full access to server files (I know its a constant topic on FB modding pages and forums).

as a suggestion. I've talked to the admins on our server and other people in the community about if we had access and could download the files via Nitrado like we do using the xml. files we could if possible get Dayz tools via direct download we could upload the Nitrado files to the programme and edit what we want. Then able to download the finished files so it could be uploaded to Nitrado that would be perfect. As its frustrating to have to spawn buildings in as an event instead of being able to place or remove buildings or what ever via the Missing files. As I'd like to edit some of the terrain on my server so it spices the server up for the community who play on my server. As I've had suggestions about what the community that play on the server what or like added or removed in the server. 

I'm not asking about having modding to the extent of PC where you can have helicopters and all sorts of mad mods. Just full access to where we can edit the terrain, change the weather like rain on or off and what items a freshie spawns in with. That's all I and many other people (Console server owners) are asking for. 

It was stated on the offical Dayz Twitter feed 9 months ago that console owners would get full access to their server files (Init.c, ect) in future updates but still no word or hint to when. 

Apart from that the roadmap sounds good. But I'll take it with a pinch of salt after last years road map wasn't fulfilled.  

The problem is the community....
Already on console, players should be happy to have a game like this.
Then the PVP players are a cancer for the evolution of the game because they only use 3% of what the game offers but represents too large a part of the community to not be taken into account....
And then the cars, yes it's boring, but the maps are not that big and good players will tend to use their legs (1 hour to cross Chernarus from south to north) ....
The game has to stabilise, that's for sure, but it also has to evolve because if the developers don't add weapons, the players will cry and if they don't add a new vehicle with its new colour the "jacky tuning" will cry....

The roadmap is clearly not detailed and certainly not to make promises in the air.
On closer inspection there are some very nice things announced in more or less explicit ways.... (I pray for the configurable radiations...)
What is really regrettable is that there is no new map announced, that the spear and the bow is still not in the pipes (at least not officially), the same for cannabis and cigarettes or even animal skin clothing, dyeing clothes and making recipes (by the way that you can't really eat lard without vomit would be the idea of the century because nobody eats that in real life...).
And to be able to build on slopes again, because we had some very annoying regressions on the building sites... and even to be able to make different walls! (Less wide, higher,)
To be able to make a wardrobe in which to put clothes with objects in it so that you can change clothes without having to waltz around with objects....
In short, the problem is the community, and then sony also breaks the balls by preventing the less stable but more regular updates that would certainly allow developers to improve the console porting and to take into account more easily the players' feedback (when you see what some players say, it could be the death of the game in some ways)...

Let's not forget that Dayz is a sandbox, those who want an ultra-stable game with lots of weapons and also lots of weapons or vehicles there are plenty of games for that and somewhere you've got the wrong game.

1 hour ago, Derleth said:

I took that step long ago since I grew tired of the shooty game prevalent on official servers, paired with the server hopping mechanic which makes them very anonymous by nature. There is no community building, it is mostly a day by day existence looking for trouble. The server hop teleport was a step in the right direction but I truly think official servers should have separate databases, but I doubt they will ever leave the hive concept since it is firmly established. So I'll keep to well crafted survival servers.

Wiping on its own is not that bad really, we're always a stray bullet from starting fresh anyways so I don't get the strong reactions about it. Starting over and gearing up is half the fun too..

So far I don't mind the gameplay on official servers, it does not interfere with survival and roaming the country. Though the player base increase is changing things around, so I'll just see. And I totally agree that life in DayZ is uncertain, I just kind of prefer to either end it with on my own decision or by that chance. The wipe is ultimate and for example the last wipe with 1.11 also wiped a character I had on a private server where I was just traveling and exploring Livonia, still a new map to me, and there it no longer is the thrill of starting fresh again but rather an eye roll. If it would be selective and wipe only official server characters then perhaps ok. 

Regarding the hive, yes hopping is just stupid and for that alone I would rather have separate databases. However; I quite like that you can cross over from Chernarus to Livonia. It's one of those thigs that again extends the life of a character, introduces more variance and it's not that far fetched that you can travel regions of the world. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, William Sternritter said:

Regarding the hive, yes hopping is just stupid and for that alone I would rather have separate databases. However; I quite like that you can cross over from Chernarus to Livonia. It's one of those thigs that again extends the life of a character, introduces more variance and it's not that far fetched that you can travel regions of the world. 

That's how the hive should be used - linked maps. One server Chernarus, one Livonia, another a hypothetical second DLC etc. Hopping between different Chernarus servers doesn't make any sense, travelling between different regions does. Could be used to expand the game world beyond the map size restrictions set by current technology. For that reason I hope private hives can be a thing again, there are lots of custom maps available already.

Edited by Derleth
  • Like 1

Whilst i think this "roadmap" isn't bad, i still find it somewhat disappointing.
There are STILL so many things wrong/broken with DayZ, still so many things missing that we really should have had by now considering we are into the 8th year of development since it's release onto steam.

Things that i would like to see fixed, added or implemented properly :-

The general lag and desync of just about all servers is still atrocious, this should be of paramount importance. It affects everyone in some way shape or form.
Zombie pathfinding is still absolutely broken. After 8 years of dev, the zombies and the survival elements of this game should be 100% complete. It is a Zombie Survival game after all, these things really should be nailed down and feature complete by now. It's the equivalent of making a driving racing game and leaving the cars at a completely broken state until the very last minute. Where is the logic in that? Not trying to hate, i just legit don't understand the logic/reasoning.
Bows (still absolutely no sign of these).
Cars (still nigh on unplayable/unusable due to lag).
Helicopters, probably same problems with cars.
Seasons (Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter) we are still stuck in a never ending Autumn cycle. I would like to see the Winter hunter clothing etc become at least viable to wear. And it would be nice to be too hot for once rather than too cold.
More broken bones (Arms, hands, ribs)
Zombies still spawning or getting stuck half in models (house walls, or spawning on house roofs) - This does not put the game in a good light after 8 years of dev. It just looks like you couldn't care less about how people perceive your game. A little polish please?
Still many many bugs and QOL fixes that need to be done.
Still no consistency or logic in the game (i can open a metal tin of beans with a tire iron/sledge hammer, but i cant smash a pumpkin open) how do things like this even make any sense? Who is making these decisions?
Base building is still absolutely pointless, i mean it works and it's functional but that's about it. We still can't even snap walls together. We can spend hours making most of the walls to then find out that a tiny bush will stop us from placing the last wall and make it secure. It is still way too easy for people to raid. There needs to be some balance between the amount of time that people put into making these structures (collecting tools/nails/planks) to the amount of time that it take people to get in. of course bases should not be invulnerable. But it also should not take a couple of people 5 minutes to negate your walls after it's taken you a couple of hours to find everything to build them.
Now you plan to do regular wipes? I mean i can understand why if this keeps lag etc down, but it makes a mockery of even trying to keep your character alive or build any kind of substantial base/home. What is the point?

I mean i could go on and on (as i'm sure a lot of other forum users here could also do) But i'd like to think you get the point.
We all want the game we were promised way back in 2013. For possibly the 9th year of development we really should have a game in a much better state.

I look forward to 2021 and whatever updates/fixes/improvements this will bring to the game we all love. This is the reason the majority of us are all still playing your game 8 years later. Your community simply deserves better after the loyalty and faith they have invested into you Bohemia!

Edited by GeordieMarv
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, thepoey said:

Just thinking about this further, and just doing regular persistence wipes is a short term fix for interactivity, but absolutely horrible for the long term health of the game. 

The biggest incentive for DayZ over any other game is the permadeath nature of it. How long can you survive? Incentivizing the life of your character, beyond just the value of your "loot" needs to be Step One. The Soft Skills system is a step in that direction, but beyond that, your character needs to have value just beyond "loot". It needs to be "Survive and Thrive" not "Loot and Shoot". 

Removing any kind of base building long term permanence really kills any kind of incentive to do anything other than coastal PVP. Why not utilize the flag system more efficiently? Maybe all stashes and bases should have a persistence of 7 days as a default, unless they are tagged with a Flag. This could make hiding stuff a lot harder, but would also incentivize building more. I really hope base building balance gets another look and can become something viable.

Have to agree on the...um...discomfort that semi regular server wipes will have. Before 1.11 I had a toon that survived around 5 or 6 months. He was the longest surviving character I ever had and had gone through numerous fights with humans, zeds and animals and came close to death many times, but lived to tell the tale as it were. I had a nice wee stash of gear that I had harvested and even had a few little bases built (and raided). To me that's the ultimate point of the game and it was the most satisfying period of DayZ that I have played since I bought the standalone years ago.

But wiping everything makes even bothering with any of that utterly pointless. Why would any player go through building up a toon and their stuff when a wipe will eliminate it all in a second? And you're correct, what will result is just people going for any mid tier weapon (hello SKS) and heading to Cherno for some CoD firefights until they are killed and they do all again in the same session. Because doing anything else would be a fool's errand.

On the server I play on mostly, there was a large group who had basically turned Cherno in a fortress. They had a massive structure around almost the entire city. I reconnoitred them several times going about their business and even had unfriendly encounters with them around other areas of the map as we were in competition for resources. But there was a certain amount of excitement about observing what they were doing. Now walling off a city like Cherno is probably a bit extreme, but it was a great example of what some groups can do. But all that is now gone because somebody turned everything off and on again. That must have made that particular group hit the roof. All of that work, and it must have taken some effort indeed, was zapped in an instant.

In any case, I had thought that DayZ had reached a point where server wipes (or at least character wipes) were a thing of the past. So the news of them being a thing again isn't very welcome.

• Like 4
  • Beans 1

On 3/8/2021 at 3:53 PM, TheYetiBum said:

I partially agree but the main frustration of many players is the lack of tier 4 weaponry as it gets stashed out of existence after the first week of a wipe & by just increasing its spawn numbers just continues to benefit those in large groups with large bases or hidden away stashes. it makes the game pretty dull for most.

Then I would propose getting rid of the IN_CARGO, IN_HOARDER, IN_PLAYER parameters that were introduced a few updates back, because they are WITHOUT DOUBT the absolute worst additions to the loot economy that has ever been implemented in DayZ. If "balance" is what the devs are after, get shot of those limitations because they do nothing for the game.

Wiping every player's progress every few months is the nuclear option and, frankly, an appalling idea.

Edited by Tonyeh
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Derleth said:

Wiping on its own is not that bad really, we're always a stray bullet from starting fresh anyways...

A stray bullet in the face is part of the game though. That's what makes it exciting as you're not sure who is watching you and if or when the firing will start. It makes the player be very careful where they go, especially when they have more to lose.

A server wipe is someone turning the entire world off and on again which kills the player no matter what they do.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Tonyeh said:

A stray bullet in the face is part of the game though. That's what makes it exciting as you're not sure who is watching you and if or when the firing will start. It makes the player be very careful where they go, especially when they have more to lose.

A server wipe is someone turning the entire world off and on again which kills the player no matter what they do.

I agree. My point is just that gear (and bases) is something that comes and goes. They’re talking about three wipes in a year, I’d wager most players go through ten times that number of lives or more during that time. It’s not that bad, I know of community servers that wipe every other month. I think it is uncalled for personally, on my own servers I don’t wipe unless I absolutely have to because the database has been corrupted. I simply don’t think it is that big of a deal when it happens though.

Please rethink the 3 or 4 month complete server wipe. Im still working on my base and we are a month in. It takes all the desire out to build if it is wiped in 4 months. This makes it a more PVP game than a survival combination. 

Now if you have to wipe in order to deal with the duping, I understand, but make this a consequence in trying different code fixes for duping and not your resolution to duping. 

The whole aspect of putting everyone on the same starting level every 3 or 4 months is demoralizing for people who grind and enjoy the grind on a daily basis. That is the advantage to grinding. A decent base and good loot. 

Think on a 8 or 9 month season as to doing a wipe  Maybe with some contest on achievements accomplished during that time period as a motivator to build or grind it out. An annual one would be better. 3 or 4 months is just too short a period  

• Like 6

Don't wipe the characters. People will buy more accounts to keep they loot. Keeping the loot on characters doesn't ruin economy because accounts 99.99% time offline. If you will wipe every 3-4 month is no point in running around and looking for loot because everyone will know that they will lose it. Notice how the online dropped before you announce 1.11 would wipe the server. Think about it.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Derleth said:

I agree. My point is just that gear (and bases) is something that comes and goes. They’re talking about three wipes in a year, I’d wager most players go through ten times that number of lives or more during that time. It’s not that bad, I know of community servers that wipe every other month. I think it is uncalled for personally, on my own servers I don’t wipe unless I absolutely have to because the database has been corrupted. I simply don’t think it is that big of a deal when it happens though.

Well sure, we know that gear "comes and goes". But how it comes and goes is very important. I've died many times in DayZ, as has every player. I've been killed by zeds, by players, by animals, by the environment and by my inability to understand that when you pull a pin on a grenade by accident it's better to chuck the feckin thing as far as you can and as quick as you can.

But, those are all things that the game is about and while sometimes getting blown away can be frustrating. It's the actual game's stuff you're competing against. So that frustration of losing your gear through something like that is short lived...and you learn to do better the next time.

Whereas the frustration of losing everything because someone wiped the servers will just make people not want to bother even playing in the first place. Or at least not bother playing to the game's fullest potential.

And yes, there probably are many players that would go through several toons in the space of a business quarter and will die due to the game's mechanics and basically their number was up. But that's not the same as being eliminated in a server wipe.

• Like 4
  • Beans 2

23 hours ago, wildzero said:

Please have a look at the adjusted damage values from the DayZ IntenZ server. They have done just that and set perfectly balanced and lifelike values in my opinion:

Damage.gif

Bullshit, really not reallistic, welcome to call of duty......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1