Sign in to follow this  
bcandatree

Gun won't fire, BS

Well, it's pretty frustrating when you have your character pretty well geared and you get killed because you pull out your gun, raise it, and pull the trigger... and absolutely nothing happens.

Walking around looting and shooting zombies periodically for fun, so I know my Viaga is working.  Full mag for it.  Condition is "worn."  I find some .357 rounds and go to pick them up, character does the motion, but the bullets stay where they are... xfer them to my hands and then into my pack with no problem.  Think, 'hmmm.. that was weird.'  That was right about when I heard the footsteps.  I don't see a lot of people on the server I play on, so this is pretty exciting for me.  I can see he's geared, but he's coming around the corner and I know he's going to peak the gate.  So I raise my Viaga shotty (that works great when I'm shooting zombies).  He moves right into the gate where I'm aiming so I pull the trigger (semi automatic so I pull it a few times)... nothing at all.  No click click click.  Just me with my gun up looking like an idiot.  Of course his gun works juuuust fine.

Any idea what could have happened?  Is this just a typical game glitch? Lag? How can I prevent this from happening again?

It sounds to me like you had some sort of hand-state/inventory bug going on.  The fact that your gun did nothing when you tried to pull the trigger means the server probably thought you had something other than a gun in your hand.  It's a shame that after all this time, these issues still exist, but they do.

Once you got to the point that you couldn't pick up the bullets properly, you should have relogged at that point.  Upon returning, you'd have seen what the server was seeing and the result would have been that you weren't actually holding a gun most likely.

It's frustrating to have to relog especially if you end up in a queue, but sometimes that's the only fix if weirdness is happening.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.  When I think back to that run, some other weird things were happening.  At one point, my deagle would not reload another magazine, even though I had two others available with more bullets.  I also tried at one point to remove my magazine from my Viaga and it just wouldn't work.  I guess I should have relogged at that point.

7 hours ago, drgullen said:

It's frustrating to have to relog especially if you end up in a queue, but sometimes that's the only fix if weirdness is happening. 

The authors do not have enough "eggs" to cope with this problem within two years.
  BIS, sorry for the sarcasm, but there must be some time limit to deal with this problem seriously.
Problem - client-server synchronization is not working as expected. Desynchronization often occurs when there are no obvious reasons for the communication failure with the server, and this is in any interaction of the player with the game content.
Relogging the client temporarily solves the problem, but does not fix it. This often becomes discovered in game moments, when the relog will not save the character, and in principle is no longer needed, since the character will probably die and revive without this error. Or, the relog will look like a violation of PVE / RP interaction between players in the game.

7 hours ago, bcandatree said:

Thanks for the reply.  When I think back to that run, some other weird things were happening.  At one point, my deagle would not reload another magazine, even though I had two others available with more bullets.  I also tried at one point to remove my magazine from my Viaga and it just wouldn't work.  I guess I should have relogged at that point.

In my experience one particular action that can trigger this kind of desync is using "R" to swap magazines on weapons. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes the server will think the empty mag is still in the weapon and other weirdness will be triggered from that. The only way to snap out of that desync is to relog.

Until this bug is fixed once and for all I try to avoid using R, unless I know I will have time to check my inventory and relog if need be. Instead, if I have space on my hotbar I will bind my spare mags there and if not I will open inventory, drag the empty mag to a pocket and then drag a full mag to the weapon.

This, of course, is not something you have time to do in a combat situation...