craigie1874

Cars all Broken? Return to DayZ.

Hi everyone. (below is a sort of detailed diary of our story atm- to get to the Q just read bottom line)

I recently returned to DayZ with my gamer buddy/rl friend. The MMO we are playing is having issues so we decided to head on back to Chernarus.

We both love the survival aspect of the game and find the constant KOS trend to be soul destroying.

So with that in mind we got ourselves our own little server. 

Day1: We struggled to stay alive to find each other. I had caught some nasty disease but hadn't a clue how to mend. Turns out I had cholera! That was fun- puking my guts up- and valuable food and water ! Managed to find a car and a house to call home and some tents to begin scavenging storage.

Day2: The two of us ill, we had to use the wiki to find out what the changes were. We hit the medi centre and got stocked up with lovely pills. 

Day3: Sort of back in control so we head out to find parts for our car, a CC Sedan. Headed along the coast to Berezino as I recall there are several spawn points there and hopefully find parts required. We had already had found a spark plug a Jerry can for water and one for gas a battery and all were pristine as was the radiator that was in the car to begin with. So just a wheel required. Easy! ... perhaps not. We arrived at Berezino taking a left turn as we headed east along the coast road from Kamyshovo up towards the hospital and in a industrial yard, sitting waiting for us was a 2nd CC Sedan! Yas!! We inspect the new motor to find it was complete! Yes- pristine Battery, Spark Plug and Radiator. The tank half full and the radiator was also full and all four wheels- we couldn't believe our luck! There was only one door but that would be fixed as soon as we got back to base and took them from the car there. 

We hop in the car start the engine and steams belting out the engine/radiator whatever, tried to top up but it was as I said already full. Recalling an old bug where the car would smoke we decided to try and get it back home anyway- we got about halfway - a red icon showed up on the dash and it died. Okay it was too good to be true but at least we had a wheel or two to take back to car 1! So we slog all the way back to our temp base attach the required wheel and ...smoke/steam from the engine! Not again! Yes as soon as it was started up the icon was visible so we knew not to take that out on the road. Back to foot power and the long trek to Berezino. Okay thats x2 CC Sedans with broken engines so far, we scavenge all over Berezino and find a few cars but again two CC Sedans we could make one runner from. We do this fill with gas n water and low and behold the engine is broken again! (smoke/steam belting out the engine with amber icon this time)

I would be eternally grateful to any info on this. Many thanks in advance.

Are the cars broken atm in DayZ or is it just the CC sedan or are we just incredibly unlucky? 

Be sure to shift and not redline the RPM??

have had zero issues with burning up engines. 

Remember to fill up the radiator with water so it'll cool off the engine. Also, don't raise your RPM too much, just like IRL.

Also, avoid places where railroad and road cross. 

Heya Parazight, No we were taking it very easy and still the engine icon turned red and the car died. We have just finished another session and found another car with the exact same issue. Strange huh. Guess if it continues we will just be legging it. Not the same as we both enjoy base building and without transport that will soon become a chore. 

Thanks for the advice. I'll post on this thread if we find a car that doesn't die on us.

Cheers

5 hours ago, craigie1874 said:

Hi everyone. (below is a sort of detailed diary of our story atm- to get to the Q just read bottom line)

I recently returned to DayZ with my gamer buddy/rl friend. The MMO we are playing is having issues so we decided to head on back to Chernarus.

We both love the survival aspect of the game and find the constant KOS trend to be soul destroying.

So with that in mind we got ourselves our own little server. 

Day1: We struggled to stay alive to find each other. I had caught some nasty disease but hadn't a clue how to mend. Turns out I had cholera! That was fun- puking my guts up- and valuable food and water ! Managed to find a car and a house to call home and some tents to begin scavenging storage.

Day2: The two of us ill, we had to use the wiki to find out what the changes were. We hit the medi centre and got stocked up with lovely pills. 

Day3: Sort of back in control so we head out to find parts for our car, a CC Sedan. Headed along the coast to Berezino as I recall there are several spawn points there and hopefully find parts required. We had already had found a spark plug a Jerry can for water and one for gas a battery and all were pristine as was the radiator that was in the car to begin with. So just a wheel required. Easy! ... perhaps not. We arrived at Berezino taking a left turn as we headed east along the coast road from Kamyshovo up towards the hospital and in a industrial yard, sitting waiting for us was a 2nd CC Sedan! Yas!! We inspect the new motor to find it was complete! Yes- pristine Battery, Spark Plug and Radiator. The tank half full and the radiator was also full and all four wheels- we couldn't believe our luck! There was only one door but that would be fixed as soon as we got back to base and took them from the car there. 

We hop in the car start the engine and steams belting out the engine/radiator whatever, tried to top up but it was as I said already full. Recalling an old bug where the car would smoke we decided to try and get it back home anyway- we got about halfway - a red icon showed up on the dash and it died. Okay it was too good to be true but at least we had a wheel or two to take back to car 1! So we slog all the way back to our temp base attach the required wheel and ...smoke/steam from the engine! Not again! Yes as soon as it was started up the icon was visible so we knew not to take that out on the road. Back to foot power and the long trek to Berezino. Okay thats x2 CC Sedans with broken engines so far, we scavenge all over Berezino and find a few cars but again two CC Sedans we could make one runner from. We do this fill with gas n water and low and behold the engine is broken again! (smoke/steam belting out the engine with amber icon this time)

I would be eternally grateful to any info on this. Many thanks in advance.

Are the cars broken atm in DayZ or is it just the CC sedan or are we just incredibly unlucky? 

you do know that the water dial fills up the opposite way to the fuel gauge right? 

8 hours ago, rackinglad27 said:

you do know that the water dial fills up the opposite way to the fuel gauge right? 

!! Nope!! Hahaha. Really? But id put water into the radiators...or did I as we thought they were full? IDK need to check that out ! Oh what a tube! Thanks man hope it is something as simple as this. Let you know how I get on later. Thanks and mucho appreciated.

• Haha 1

It’s not actually a water dial, it’s a temperature dial. So if it’s all the way to the right, it’s overheating. Anyway, to be be sure, always keep your radiator filled up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThePugman said:

It’s not actually a water dial, it’s a temperature dial. So if it’s all the way to the right, it’s overheating. Anyway, to be be sure, always keep your radiator filled up.

Thanks Ill be sure to keep that in mind.

IMHO, at the moment cars are not well worth to be repaired. Too much effort done returned with very poor gameplay improvement, unless the player being part of a large group of survivors, each one accomplishing simple tasks to make the car working.

I know, this reply doesn't add much to the discussion... have good Cherno times all!

17 hours ago, oldfossil said:

IMHO, at the moment cars are not well worth to be repaired. Too much effort done returned with very poor gameplay improvement, unless the player being part of a large group of survivors, each one accomplishing simple tasks to make the car working.

I know, this reply doesn't add much to the discussion... have good Cherno times all!

Yea I agree its hard work and as ever- sods law applies, if you 'need' a Jerry Can or Spark Plug etc it will be the last thing anyone can find. :p 

Anyhoo I can report that Houndy and I last night found a 'new' car we had a radiator, battery and spark plug in our bags but only a few emptied bottles* to use as fluid carriers and we got a CC Sedan running. Made it to both a Well to fill up the radiator and Petrol Station and topped up the tank! Back in business! 

What a couple of idiots though- thinking the game was bugged coz' all the cars were smoking haha!! 

* Have they taken out the ability to empty water etc from bottles etc? I remember pouring out liquids that we didn't need but now the only option seems to be to drink from or if there's a radiator or another receptacle you can pour into that but I just couldn't seem to empty out unwanted liquids? Probably another dumb question !! I'd have thought this function would have been very necessary now that water bottles can be contaminated! And what's with the new foot wear?  It's not very realistic to have to replace your boots trainers etc every few hours, I realise the games hardcore but some things are just a tad OTT in my humble opinion.

Thanks to everyone who has helped us. Sorry for being a couple of idiots. Good luck out there.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, craigie1874 said:

Have they taken out the ability to empty water etc from bottles etc?

Aim towards the ground with your container in hand.  Best done outside of a building.

Finding cars and getting them to work is so easy.  Even on official servers.  It's even easier to completely total them if you run into an indestructable road sign, however.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, craigie1874 said:

Cheers - thanks a lot thought it was weird! 

TYVM

lol dude I did the same thing with the water in cars and I thought the same thing that all the cars were bugged out. glad I could help you though. 👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

• Like 1

Fill the radiator about half full and it will stop it smoking - but top off as soon as possible.  Sorry not had your issues - had lots of others - flying cars - disappearing below the map - kicked from the server whilst driving - on return I'm a mile back down my route and have to slepp after my car hoping no other dude thinks they have hit it lucky and "Found a fully kitted car".

Any way - happy travels.

Just as an update- as we found out its wasn't DayZ that was broken it was my own brain cell! The very last one and its faulty! 

I have been playing on my own server and enjoying it although I do miss interactions with real people well ones that don't want to kill me as soon as they spot me- wish folks like that would chill and find out what kind of player they are dealing with before they go all Killzone on me- I mean there are games where that's what you do but I believe DayZ should be about collaboration and surviving this nightmare together. Or at least being helpful and moving on.

Anyhoo on the car front I have found a lot of vehicles, many of which are in pretty decent nick, I have two 4x4s at my wonky base and I am at the point I don't even check when I spot another one. I love driving about in my 4x4 bringing up my Izurvive map (yea I was lucky and found an electronic device with a map of the area installed on it in a house in Cherno- honest!)  and heading off to a new area and giving it the once over before heading back home to the comfort and safety of my base. 

I only have 4 slots on my server but I am going to post up and see if anyone is interested in playing on it. If so and there is more interest I may well upgrade and have a bunch of likeminded PVE type survivors. This doesn't mean we couldn't have battles now and again just for giggles- maybe settle disputes etc Not looking for a group just lots of single or small groups who like to explore, clear zeds and build etc but most of all not KOS!

I'd like to thank the good people who helped Houndy and myself out with our lack of intellect and got us off to a zooming start upon our return to DayZ- Thanks guys - Stay safe!

• Thanks 1