soapmak3r

Alternative Creepy Music for DayZ

wow, i REALY like the loner sound track, hope they put it in day z

• Like 1

I didn't do the survey, someone else did. And the answers back up what i said.

http://dayzmod.com/f...page__hl__music

So those 10 or so posters represent the almost half a million people playing the mod? Also, that isn't a survey. That's a very small number of people sharing their preference.

For myself, if the music is quiet enough, I find it really adds to the experience and tension and more reflective meloncolic songs for long cross country journeys, would make them much more interesting.

wow, i REALY like the loner sound track, hope they put it in day z

Cheers for the positive feedback! If this thread or the videos can get the attention of the mod development team, maybe they would add it in. It'd be fantastic if that happened. :)

Even if I play with my music off or way down low these would be great additions for those who DO play with music on, really added to the mood of your gameplay - if I was playing lone wolf this would add so much more tension. +1

• Like 1

Thanks for the videos! Got a bit of feedback for you:

In the first vid the gongs worked especially well I thought at around 10 mins in. And the other bits that played in periodically after that seemed to feel right as you wandered around the city. Both Lonely Traveller and the Crash Site fitted the second video really well. On the Run didn't do it for me (at ~7 mins) simply because nothing happened to warrant that sense of terror and panic. Perhaps it would be more effective at night? When you can't see anything apart from what's in your torch beam (though I'm not sure who uses the torch all that much..). The gongs at the end of the second video weren't as well placed for me, in the rural setting, but maybe that's just me.

Hope this is helpful in some small way! :D

Cheers for the feedback, it's all good!

I know where you are coming from. I didn't want to have it seem too scripted I guess, so I just put the music over the gameplay footage very roughly. It seemed to generally fit well with the action (or lack of) quite well though, I felt.

I think it could work if it was situational though. Like a variant of 'paranoia' could play when you hear gunshots, or 'creeping death' when you start to aggro a zed for example.

I'm gonna start work next on a proper theme for when you aggro zeds and have to run for it, or make a stand. Then do some variations on that and see how they work with gameplay footage. I'll maybe re-add 'On the run' to that footage.

Cheers again for all the positive feedback! It's good encouragement. Composing for video-games is something I'd love to get into properly. :)

Edited by soapmak3r

Really fucking want these. It sends shivers down my spine watching the video you put together. Really good work.

Try contacting Rocket or a member of the dev team. These would be a great addition.

The current ambient sounds in DayZ are.. Terrible.

That first one sounds a bit like an air-raid siren, especially if you are running around Chernogorsk with it playing.

Really fucking want these. It sends shivers down my spine watching the video you put together. Really good work.

Try contacting Rocket or a member of the dev team. These would be a great addition.

Really glad you like them! Cheers!

I would contact Rocket or a member of the team, but I have no idea what I would say at this point. I'll keep making and posting more and see how things evolve. :)

Even if I play with my music off or way down low these would be great additions for those who DO play with music on, really added to the mood of your gameplay - if I was playing lone wolf this would add so much more tension. +1

Thanks for the feedback. It's encouraging and is appreciated. :)

WOW really love them.If you can make like 4 different songs in each phase(travelling/dangerous areas)it would just take it over the top.

WOW really love them.If you can make like 4 different songs in each phase(travelling/dangerous areas)it would just take it over the top.

Thank you! The plan I have in mind is to have as many phrases and variations of phrases as possible so that it would stay fresh. I think variety is key.

I've been busy the last few days, but I plan to get to work on some 'psycho run' phrases this weekend. These are basically going to be "Sh*t!! There are a ton of zombies chasing me!" phrases... heheh

There should be a load more melancholic, reflective phrases in the works too, to help fill out the journeys. They are really enjoyable to make. Some more military sounding tracks with brass and snares could be cool too.

Cheers again for the feedback :)

I haven't had much spare time to compose anything new (probably been playing too much DayZ), so just bumping this to see if there is genuine interest in more.

Feedback, or even ideas for more welcome. :)

Cheers! There are more to come, I've just found myself using most of my spare time to play the game loads recently...

I cant say i like the idea of music being added to the game (then again i can always mute music) but these are pretty good, the two youtube videos especially.

However ive ranted on another thread about wanting the kind of "nuclear/weather/bombing warning siren" to be a feature in the game, which would contrast a lil i think with the first sound byte XD

though tis only my thoughts for ze game. very well produced though XD

I cant say i like the idea of music being added to the game (then again i can always mute music) but these are pretty good, the two youtube videos especially.

However ive ranted on another thread about wanting the kind of "nuclear/weather/bombing warning siren" to be a feature in the game, which would contrast a lil i think with the first sound byte XD

though tis only my thoughts for ze game. very well produced though XD

Cheers!

Yeah, I was thinking that music and sound could be a good audio indicator of the presence of danger...So say a murderer is about, a subtle, creepy piece could be triggered when you get, or they get close enough.

Other pieces could be triggered by various situations like chopper crashes, industrial areas, forests, etc.

Dayz needs better music, you can't disagree with that

You reckon this music is better? Or it needs better music than this? :P

Alright soapmak3r..!

I'm in work right now listening to your tracks and decided to log in just to offer support.

Your music is fucking great mate.

I work in the computer games industry as-well so maybe I can offer a little advice to you, as you don't seem too confident in your posts for some reason..? But, a LOT of your ideas and hopes (From what I've read!) for the in game music are very well thought out.

There IS a "trigger" system in the ARMA2 engine that is very easy to implement, so that's no problem. As far as the tone/tempo changes go etc, that part's up to you I suppose- more the music side of things.

I wouldn't put off contacting Rocket, as I'm sure he'd give your videos some time to view, but perhaps put one together that DOES show your tracks to their best gameplay synced-wise. IE; if chase music is playing, then show someone being chased etc.

Anyway man, you're doing a great job and this thread hasn't got the attention it deserves imo.

I'm not just here to compliment you- I really do like what you've got going here- this mod does need a pick me up in the tunes dept lol..! ;)

Anyway, take it easy, oh, and the soundtrack for THE ROAD is also good insp... I love the more melancholy side of ambient tracks.

• Like 1

Cheers meshcarver! It's not really lack of confidence, it's just that I am new to the whole soundtrack creation thing and it's hard to get any recognition these days! haha

I'm more looking feedback than anything, so that I know I am on the right track and that it is worth investing the time into. :)

*edit* I would contact rocket, but there is no way to do that on the forums...Contact info is empty as he is probably trying to avoid crashing any more servers... :P

Edited by soapmak3r

Well... Rocket, if you happen to read this (or if someone can forward it to him) and you think that this music would be good in the mod, or in the stand alone game, please, do get in touch. :)

I will make another batch and see if I can generate a bit more interest and go from there.

The first one gets a little annoying after a while, but the second one is awesome!