First of all, this is not another "Where is 1.7.2?" thread.

I'm happy with the current build and strongly believe that patches shouldn't be rushed, and certainly should be released just because loads of kids are demanding it.

What I'm trying to find out is if 1.7.2 was delayed because of Rezzed, as a marketing thing?

It all seems a bit... "Corporate".

I'm not trying to accuse anyone of anything, and I know Rocket has worked extremely hard.

I'm just curious about the situation and would like to hear other peoples opinion on it.

Again, this is NOT a thread moaning about the release of 1.7.2.

My first thought was that it was for "marketing" as well as a bit more testing outside of the closed testing group.

Either way its not a bad thing. As you said the current patch is fine for the moment.

My guess is 1.7.2 has been delayed because BIS has really begun to realize the opportunity DayZ represents and has devoted more resources to the mod. More resources means more structure and more time between updates because more work is going on which means more smoke-testing must be done internally before an update can be rolled out.

I expect 1.7.2 is going to have a lot more than the update thread currently lists. I predict fixes for disconnect exploits, tweaks to zombie detection behavior, path finding, and "warp through terrain" issues, vehicle physics tweaks, more item duplication fixes, etc.

In fact, they might skip 1.7.2 altogether and release 1.8.0.

Just a guess.

DayZ is the best thing that has happened to Arma 2 unfortunately >_

I think it has been delayed because everyone is working on hacker issues, bug fixes, and closed testing. That and Rocket posted up that he just moved to a new city.

I imagine the 1.7.2 at rezzed is just the latest iteration that is being close tested. I really doubt he is marketing his free mod; he'd gain nothing from it and he already has TONS of publicity.

My guess is 1.7.2 has been delayed because BIS has really begun to realize the opportunity DayZ represents and has devoted more resources to the mod. More resources means more structure and more time between updates because more work is going on which means more smoke-testing must be done internally before an update can be rolled out.

I expect 1.7.2 is going to have a lot more than the update thread currently lists. I predict fixes for disconnect exploits' date=' tweaks to zombie detection behavior, path finding, and "warp through terrain" issues, vehicle physics tweaks, more item duplication fixes, etc.

In fact, they might skip 1.7.2 altogether and release 1.8.0.

Just a guess.

[/quote']

Yup I too think it will contain alot more than has been listed so far.

I just don't like the thought of BIS taking over the project, they are a great developer don't get me wrong.

It just worries me, I like the charm Rocket brings to this mod, and i feel that BIS aren't going to help that.

Take a moment to educate yourself.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/03/dayz-weekly-update-bear-trap-controversy-hacker-attacks-and-boar-vaulting/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

According to this, 1.7.2 is taking so long because it's more of a "performance and security" patch, and because Rocket is moving to Bohemia Interactive’s HQ which is based in the Czech Republic.

In other words, calm the fuck down. It'll be out when it's out.

From what I've made out of the different interviews, news tidbits and postings, it seems that 1.7.2 has pretty big underlying structure overhaul, even if not much of it is mentioned in the update preview, when you do such a big overhaul you want to be 100% sure that this foundation you are placing will work out long-term.

Also I assume several precautions will be taken before the rollout happens, maybe getting all community servers checked out so that they are all on the same level.

Take a moment to educate yourself.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/03/dayz-weekly-update-bear-trap-controversy-hacker-attacks-and-boar-vaulting/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

According to this' date=' 1.7.2 is taking so long because it's more of a "performance and security" patch, and because Rocket is moving to Bohemia Interactive’s HQ which is based in the Czech Republic.

In other words, calm the fuck down. It'll be out when it's out.

[/quote']

Did you even read my original post?

I said this is NOT about the release of 1.7.2! This is about Rocket/DayZ turning all corporate, and how the increasing involvement of BIS will change things.

Like this for example:

You will notice most studios do not have developers post or view their product/studio forums. There is a reason for this. The forums are demanded by publishers in a lame attempt to get some interest in their games.

Could the "Rocket Silence" be from BIS?

EDIT: It sort of sounds like I'm accusing people (Rocket/BIS) of stuff, but I'm not I simply want to have a discussion about this topic.

I think it was pretty much Rocket deciding that he needed something interesting and new to show off at this games expo. Sure, he could have shown off the current version, or gotten 1.7.2 out first, but a lot of people know about DayZ by now. To be able to show off a more stable, more evolved version to the industry and any regular joe attending is a good idea.

I think that its pretty much obvious that DayZ(name, or parts of it) either belong to BI(this is what game companies do) or it was sold/licensed/agreed some time ago.

They are already quite involved, they are paying people (rocket&friends) for its development and contributing stuff. Of course they/he want to show it off, it became source of revenue and later they will be investing into it quite much more.

Rocket has just moved to CZ(which confirms DayZ as long-term thing) and now hes at UK, so I doubt he has time to code stuff.

If you don't like BI involvement then its too bad, they are quite community friendly company, and if you want DayZ as a game remember that you need more than 1 guy working in his spare time. Remember that he agreed with whatever they ageed on.

About Rezzed, theres been so little info from it, its nothing like E3, hopefully later.

I think it's "delayed" because OF rezzed, not for marketing.. Rather people are needed there. If they upload the new patch and there is a major flaw with it no one is around to fix it.

Waiting until you have time to do quick fixes is better than a week of a nearly unplayable game.

I don't feel like it's too much of a problem, Rocket has shown that he's willing to add things to patches any chance he gets. I'd be willing to wager a few cans of beans that due to the delays things which were going to be included in later patches have made their way in to 1.7.2.

And while I may occasionally go "grargh where r patch?!" half jokingly to myself and people who are probably bored of hearing that..the current version is stable and enjoyable for the majority (sorry Arma X guys :<)

I don't feel like it's too much of a problem' date=' Rocket has shown that he's willing to add things to patches any chance he gets. I'd be willing to wager a few cans of beans that due to the delays things which were going to be included in later patches have made their way in to 1.7.2.

And while I may occasionally go "grargh where r patch?!" half jokingly to myself and people who are probably bored of hearing that..the current version is stable and enjoyable for the majority (sorry Arma X guys :<)

[/quote']

plus three friends play on arma x, and i play together with them, frequently

i always wonder if i (we) am (are) just soooo lucky, because all the problems people cry about never happen to me (us) :S

Any silence from me, is really just because things are extremely busy for me. I read the forums much, much more than I get the chance to reply (reading them, is much less time consuming than replying to them).

I just moved city, then went almost straight to Rezzed - and then got back. Desperately trying to finish 1.7.2 and deal with all the drama and issues that crop up, not to mention the constant stream of emails.

There's an action plan underway to deal with all of this better, so my aim is to get back into things with more time for engagement the way it was. The last thing I want, is to have the project end up all "corporate" in terms of communication otherwise the project will die.

Any silence from me' date=' is really just because things are extremely busy for me. I read the forums much, much more than I get the chance to reply (reading them, is much less time consuming than replying to them).

I just moved city, then went almost straight to Rezzed - and then got back. Desperately trying to finish 1.7.2 and deal with all the drama and issues that crop up, not to mention the constant stream of emails.

There's an action plan underway to deal with all of this better, so my aim is to get back into things with more time for engagement the way it was. The last thing I want, is to have the project end up all "corporate" in terms of communication otherwise the project will die.

[/quote']

He lives!

Thanks rocket, I think a lot of people really appreciate the way you communicate on the forums. It gives us a look at thde thought processes behind the mod and a way to provide input that you just can't get anywhere else.

It's really great to see a thread in here that made it past the first page without it getting all bleep bleep bleep cod kiddy bleep bleep noob bleep bleep cry whambulence bleep bleep. Nice job guys on the good discussion.

Thanks rocket for responding. Good to see you're alive and well. Hopefully you've been able to get some rest with all the craziness going on.

It cant be for marketing, i mean 1.7.2 is just mainly performance fixes which IMO is pretty stupid to show off as its hard to really get excited from it, an update that is more about content is what should be shown, this being delayed for rezzed is just stupid, it fixes bugs and makes the mod more optimised and run better, that is something that should be released as soon as possible, patches that add in content should be showed off.

Maybe it has some new stuff?!

I do think its been delayed mainly because of the stuff rocket said up there, which make total sense.

Any silence from me' date=' is really just because things are extremely busy for me. I read the forums much, much more than I get the chance to reply (reading them, is much less time consuming than replying to them).

[/quote']

Wow! Thanks for replying. I love the "F**k you" attitude this project has towards big publishers. I really hope it stays that way and the big publishers ( Yeah I'm looking at you EA) pull their head out their asses and pay attention.

I really doubt he is marketing his free mod

then why would he be at Rezzed?

It`s Alive! :D If Bohemia is involved, i think that`s a good thing as long as rocket is in charge of the project all the way.. One man alone cant feed all this people by himself. He gets more time to speak on the forum and thinking out new things to put in the game..

And since bohemia is involved they can probably implent/add new features in arma(engine) who isnt even in the game.

And bohemia listen to their players much more than other companies out there it seems like..

Was the 1.7.2 showed on Utes Island(Arma 2 Map)?? Maybe they are bringing new bigger map sometime :)

Imagine having to find and fix a boat to get to a new Island.. that would be pretty sick! :)

Having a bigger map going up north too, with a snowy mountain winter terrain where you can freeze to death if you dont find varmer clothes or frequently chop wood and make fireplaces (Kill a bear and skin it to make fur clothes) and you would have to find plows to walk in high snow or you walk slow in the mountains.. And Snow storms passing by sometimes(Listen in on radios about weather forecast to check if its safe passing the mountain or just risk it and try and cross to some high valuable loot) and encounter wolf packs hunting you(safer to be in a group, lesser chance they attack) And of course Snowmobiles would be needed :)

I dont see anything negative about Bohemia helping Rocket out on this mod.. Could bring alot of new stuff which wouldnt be possible without them.

Thanks for clearing up what's been going on. I've been waiting to hear from you on the latest news. Thanks for keeping in touch with the community, it means a lot to us.

Thanks, rocket. Good to hear from you. We all wish you all the best luck with your current workload with DayZ and your moving to Prague.