Sign in to follow this  
DoctorScandalous

Fresh Spawn Survival in Livonia

Getting water? Not a problem. Finding some basic tools/weapons? Also not a problem. But that initial "securing food to buy you enough time to go hunting/find more food?" Yeah... really struggling with that after trying out Livonia for a couple hours (and many lives) last night. My hunger isn't temperature-related, just to be clear. 

Would love to hear what your strategy/workflow/priority list is for gearing up (for survival, not PvP) is.

The main mistake most people make as a freshie is sprinting everywhere.  You should be taking it slow at first until you have sorted out your hunger and thirst completely because you can survive much longer that way.

I usually start off by killing enough infected until I find food on them.  Even though fruit can be rare, I check each fruit tree I pass for apples, pears and plums as they'll help with both your thirst and hunger.  Looting a knife (or other means to open cans) is essential as well.

• Like 1

Yeah... was chatting with some buddies and it seems that in addition to your recommendation, it seems like the new spawn priorities are:  

1. Get to well to drink ASAP
  2. Find knife
  3. Find chickens/slow moving animals & kill/break it down
  4. Make hand drill & cook/eat food
  5. Proceed to continue looting up basic survival gear

It's kind of crazy how VAST of a departure 1.06 is from 1.05 just from a couple little tweaks.

Generate new spawn body.  Server hop to another Chernarus.  Loot a backpack.  Kill a chicken.  Craft a fishing hook.  Catch, cook, and eat a mackerel.  Loot some more.  Server hop to Livonia.  

You can find vegetables in greenhouses and cut them up to grow more crops.  Just find a shovel to make your plot.  The rain will water the garden.  A single seed can solve all of your water problems.  This has limited effectiveness.  I once threw up after eating 20 tomatoes!  Imagine that!  I think there's also heavy diminishing returns on raw vegetables, for hunger.  However, a cooked mackerel once took me from red to full white food buff!   Fishing is for real.  Find a trail.  Find two stones, craft a knife.  Cut down a long stick.  Cut up 12 rags and make a rope.  Use rope and stick to make a fishing rod.  Use stone knife and bones to make a hook.  Dig up worms with stone knife.

When it starts to rain, dig a plot and plant some seeds. By the time it's over, you'll be ready to harvest.

• Haha 1

I Just start jogging and looting.

Kill every infected for drinks/food.

My first wish and plan is (since they removed small Stones) to find a knife and then a chicken. 

In the meantime i hope for; -burlap -cooking pot -some kind of axe and rags/rope. 

Eat chicken, boil water, thrive. 

2 hours ago, Parazight said:

Find a trail.  Find two stones, craft a knife. 

THIS. OMG this. This changes everything. 

7 hours ago, DoctorScandalous said:

THIS. OMG this. This changes everything. 

Yea. It's so easy.  Go down a trail.  Just walk.  Go loot about some structures.  20 minutes later, go down that trail again.  Ambient spawn mechanics will produce stones and mushrooms, and loot cycling/checks occur.  Once you understand zones and how the central economy behaves, it's super easy to live off of the environment.

Besides feeding yourself, negotiating with zombies is the only real factor.  Experience tells when there's too many (something new in 1.06) and how to pull them.  Melee weapons DO wear out but you can one shot almost all non-military zombie with half stamina and a splitting axe.  Block right before the zombie hits you and then jab to the face with an axe.  Game over every time.  You can take no damage as long as you have stamina reserves.

40 minutes ago, McWendy said:

Where on trails? I never get a prompt saying look for Stones....

There is no prompt, it's like with apples, they spawn randomly on the trails.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MaVerick_GDZ said:

There is no prompt, it's like with apples, they spawn randomly on the trails.

Thnx mate. Must have been unlucky then.... 

Or find a pickaxe.  A pickaxe can make a garden plot or mine large stones from rocks around the map.  These Large Stones can be mined further into small stones.  You can yield many stone knives from a pickaxe (or sledgehammer).

Thanks for the advice everyone! This has helped me to get a LOT better about surviving that first 30 minutes... cheers to all!

• Beans 1